coueschaser3 10-Oct-07
notags 11-Oct-07
RMoore 16-Dec-07
bb 16-Dec-07
RMoore 16-Dec-07
bb 16-Dec-07
RMoore 16-Dec-07
16-Sep-07
My brother just called to tell me about some pictures he saw from a mutual friend of ours of an archery bull taken in Unit 6A.

The supposed green-score has the bull at 434". My brother said the bulls 4ths had to be pushing 30" in length. Wow!

Anyone hear of this bull harvest or happen to have any photo's? I'm trying to get in touch with the guy who has the pictures. If I get my hands on them, I'll for sure post them up.

TD

16-Sep-07

ThunderDan's embedded Photo
ThunderDan's embedded Photo
Here's the picture of the bull. The hunter is allegedly from Camp Verde. Anyone recognize him? A big Congrat's for a fine bull. I'm just not sure he's a 434" bull? What say the rest of you?

16-Sep-07
anyone by any chance know if this bull came from the west section????? hope not.

17-Sep-07

17-Sep-07
What a magnificent bull! Congratulations to the lucky hunter!

Nick

17-Sep-07
Measurements, measurements I doubt that few on here would pass up such a remarkable animal!! Congratulation to the hunter on a fine job. He will make a beautiful mount that will be talked about for many years to come!! One things for sure it'll be a tough one to top!!

17-Sep-07
WOW!!! Congratulations to the shooter. 6A, the unit with quanity but not a trophy unit!! Tice always said, every unit in Arizona has the potential to produce a world class bull!

18-Sep-07
"Tice always said"

Unfortunately Dick, she "used" to say that when it was true, but likely not going to be true in the future with the changes the Commission is making....

18-Sep-07
Was this taken along/near the Verde River?

18-Sep-07
This is one bull that I wouldn't be passing on in any hunt unit....congrats to the hunter!!!

MAV

19-Sep-07
It was taken on the limited opportunity hunt in 6a, 19a and 21 hunt. Hunter's name is Ryan Moses from Camp Verde. WHAT A PIG!!!!!

19-Sep-07
Nice bull. I agree with the not above 420" but i hope it is. They are out there but far and few that definately be the biggest i seen out of those areas though. 21 does have a few monsters though.

19-Sep-07
The bull was unofficially measured by a taxidermist locally. He used a tape measure not one look at an internet picture. I can't wait to see the "official" score after the waiting period. It would be nice to see just a normal joe in the spot light for once.

20-Sep-07
It has been unofficially green scored at 434". It was killed along the verde river between thousand trails and cornville.

20-Sep-07

21-Sep-07
Not sure if the hunter wanted that pic posted on the WWW yet. It is a stud though!!

21-Sep-07
"Not sure if the hunter wanted that pic posted on the WWW yet"

Then he shouldn't have allowed it to leave his hands. Nothing is secret anymore.

21-Sep-07
Just letting you know tuffy........

22-Sep-07
I am the local taxidermist who measured the bull!! At a rough score of 434 is what I came up with. At a later date using a cable the bull Grosses 429 1/8. This photo does him no justice. A little insight to this tank of a bull. First mass measurments are 10 6/8 and 11 1/8 a true monster in person. You will have to wait to see him until Ryan brings him back in 8 to 10 months to my shop when its time to mount him. I agree I am glad a plain Joe killed him, not a ten years in a row governors tag buyer.

22-Sep-07
Dadgum a lot of storys get going,i happen to know it was killed in 26 and scores 442 net...heck i was standing on the hill videoing the whole thing hey firefighting dude,do you own that shop in camp verde? and antlerdudeboy..did`nt i sell you some antlers up by boggy tank last year? Cheers

22-Sep-07
Hey Neck were did you hear that antler growth was bad this year,heck there are 400+ bulls hitting the dirt everywhere,i know of 8 and i`m not counting..lol

22-Sep-07
Az flash, there are no elk hunts in unit 26. Archery, muzzy, rifle, LO, or even the supplemental hunter pool management hunts. You sure about your statement?

Unless Im missing something, or mis-reading your post.

22-Sep-07
i think you are right,we were in showlow hunting in someones yard,then a week later we were hunting in 9 on the verde river?it`s all so hard to remember

22-Sep-07
Yes I am the guy who owns the shop in Camp Verde. The one that has been here for 23 years that is. I know everyone has video, everyone has photos, everyone "KNOWS" that bull. Only one guy has a tag on it and Ryan couldn't be any happier.

23-Sep-07
you mean he could`nt be happier if the small side was as big as the big side?wow..that would make me happier..just me i guess i thought a guy named Fritz owned that place..silly me i`m gonna make a guess at 410- ...yup you heard it here i read somewhere else it was a world record? Non-typical American Elk through 2006 season

1. 442 0/8, Coconino County, AZ, 2003, Nick Franklin 2. 422 6/8, Navajo County, AZ, 2003, Clay R. Heuett 3. 420 5/8, Shoshone County, ID, 1981, Steven W. Mullin 4. 419 5/8, Coconino County, AZ, 1985, James L. Ludvigson 5. 417 0/8, Coconino County, AZ, 1993, Brady J. Dupke

don`t get me wrong..i think it is an awesome bull!! did when i watched the shooting but the scoring has me confussed ????

23-Sep-07
Hey flash, since you're into details. He didn't say he owned it for 23 years. He owns it and it has been here for 23 years. Yep, you heard it here.

25-Sep-07
what an awsome bull but i think i would of passed on him.......YEAH RIGHT. i dont care what he woulda scored thats truly a great bull congrats to the hunter

25-Sep-07
EXCELLENT HUNT RYAN. THIS IS YOUR FIRST COUSIN MARC WRITING FROM ROUND ROCK, TX TO CONGRATULATE YOU ON YOUR FINE TROPHY BULL. SUPERIOR TRACKING SKILL (I KNOW HOW LONG YOU TRACKED THIS BEAST), MARKSMAN ARCHERY SKILL AND KNOW-HOW ARE WHAT BROUGHT THIS BEHEMOTH DOWN - NOT TO MENTION HIS LOVE FOR THE LADIES HE WAS OUT FOR...AND FOR ANTLERPUNK, I CAN PRETTY MUCH REST ASSURED THAT YOU WILL WAKE UP FROM YOUR DREAM AND REALIZE IT IS STILL RYAN THAT BAGGED THIS BEAUTY AND THE PIG IS LYING NEXT TO YOU! GOT IT BOY? NOW FOR THE REST OF YOU DOUBTERS, THE FACTS WILL UNDOUBTEDLY BE VARIFIED AND YOU WILL SEE FOR YOURSELVES THE "OFFICAL MEASUREMENTS, WEIGHT, HUNT AREA, AND SHOOTER"! YAH RYAN, IT'S JUST PLAIN RIGHT THAT A FINE MAN SUCH AS YOU WON THIS PRIZE. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE MOUNT. LATER.

27-Sep-07
WOW!!! What a honker. Really like the trash coming off the beams. Congrats to the lucky hunter.

27-Sep-07
I happen to know the taxidermist in Camp Verde, he is my nephew and has been mounting our animals for over 20 years, since he was in high school. That elk is not a "PIG" it is a magnificent animal and should be regarded as such. A "PIG" is a small animal, mainly raised for meat!!!

28-Sep-07
That Elk is one "Magnificent Animal"

28-Sep-07
Nah I like "PIG" Better..."Honker" Toad"...We're all saying the same thing. I think we all regard what we've seen here as magnificent.

28-Sep-07
Haha! Trust me, a "pig" is a compliment. And, if you asked the guy who shot it I'm sure he wouldn't mind someone calling it that. This is hunting.

28-Sep-07

01-Oct-07
All I can say is, it is too bad you GREAT WHITE HUNTERS have no more respect for the animal than to call it a "Pig", "Honker" or "Toad".

IT IS AN ELK !!!!!!

01-Oct-07
I believe your nephew has used some of these same adjectives describing this AWESOME example of an animal. There is no disrespect intended.

01-Oct-07
We are all entitled to our opinion. Mine is that it is disrespectful to call these animals anything but what they are. My nephew can sometimes be wrong too!

01-Oct-07
Am I the only one here that finds it odd that someone would get on this website with a bunch of die hard hunters & reprimand us on calling a GInormus elk a pig/honker/toad like we're little kids or something?

02-Oct-07
An english teacher probably would, slang tends to irritate them even if it's meant as a complement. AzHuntress: You expressed your opinion. If you ever post success photos or a story on this board, I promise not to call your animals anything but their correct names.

02-Oct-07
As a bow hunter for over 30 years, I have read the comments on this conference for a long time. I also feel I have a right to voice my opinion, just as many of you voice yours. I'm sorry if I ruffled some feathers, I just feel strongly about this and felt I could state my opinion here.

02-Oct-07
Anybody know the story on this bull? It would be nice to hear how it was discovered, hunted, etc. Probably won't hear it till it comes out in Bowhunter magazine.

02-Oct-07
ITS TIME FOR AZHUNTRESS TO GO TO BED AND HOPEFULLY SHE WILL WAKE UP IN A BETTER MOOD !! ENJOY THE ANIMAL THAT WAS PICTURED, IT IS A GREAT ELK AND FOR YOU TO WHINE ABOUT HOW OTHERS REACT IS SELFISH AND SILLY. EVERY NAME THAT THEY CALLED THAT ELK WAS WITH RESPECT AND AWE. IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY ,DONT SAY IT!! SOMEDAY I HOPE YOU SHOOT A REAL BIG HOG OF AN ELK .

02-Oct-07
I guess I need to step-in, since I'm the one responsible for starting this thread.

I received this picture (by request) from a very good buddy of mine. Since it's a garage pose picture and not a field photo, I didn't see the harm in posting it. I simply felt this wasn't the type of picture that would be featured in any magazines or video's. My bad for not obtaining permission prior to posting, and my personal apologies to Ryan.

As for AzHuntress, if I'm not mistaken, it's her son who sent me the picture, who received it from his cousin (the Taxidermist) in Camp Verde. If AzHuntress is who I think she is, I met her late last year at PT's Lounge in Winslow. She's an avid archer and has many harvests to her credit. Without the help and tenacity of her son, I would not have harvested my late bull last November. I now ask that she simply understand it's just a "guy thing" when we use nouns like hog, toad or beast to describe an otherwise incredibly awesome bull elk. It's really no different than me calling her son a "Hoghead", which he is. LOL. Peace out everyone. ;)

TD

02-Oct-07
Hi y`all,just got back..bet ya missed me! we got several more 400+ bulls by the black river in 6A and one real monster at blue ridge in unit 19a,anyone want to see the video of the Verde river bull in 4a? I love how all bulls are named now days..lol and BTW..i call all big critters PIGS or Hogs and if it is disrespecting them then so be it..i kill them so i doubt a little name calling will hurt their feelings. I know a game warden that killed a PIG in 7 by wagner tank...what a HOG!!! found some 200"+ mulies also on the hunt , one that will go 223 1/8,Those where in 5BN by oak creek canyon

02-Oct-07
Trying to get folks to be ethically, morally, or grammatically correct on a site like this is kinda like trying to get water to flow uphill...ain't happening!

AzHuntress, welcome to the site, and feel free to express your opinion, just don't expect people to agree... and please lighten up!

Nick

02-Oct-07
Flash, 4A? Don't you mean the video of the Verde Bull in 6A?

Sure, post a link, I'll watch the video. I'm sure others will too.

TD

02-Oct-07
6A is what they would like you to think...ahhh but we know better don`t we

02-Oct-07
Az flash = instigating troll

02-Oct-07
geez...i try to help you get your facts straight so ya don`t sound like a durn fool and this is the thanks i get.....how lewd

02-Oct-07
Can we still call Javelina "pigs"?

02-Oct-07
I bet Az huntress is a nice broad.

03-Oct-07
HAHA! You're asking for it Redbeard.

03-Oct-07
I couldn't care less if the Verde bull was taken in Unit 294 in Lithuania, let's see the video. ;)

TD

03-Oct-07
i would love too,but alas i have been asked not to air it at this time...and BTW..we did kill a 480(net) bull in unit 294 in lit..... i do have some great pics of it being shot and the going back into the white bluffs and then hrs of night vision shots,the thing must have broke an antler because those guys looked all over the hill it rolled off lookin for somethin,they even had a little kid looking all over... at any rate its over and there are more PIGS to kill PS..wish y`all would`nt be so rude to me,i have been hunting elk for 6 yrs now and probably know 10x what y`all know

03-Oct-07

03-Oct-07
Ok i have only been hunting elk for 5 3/4 yrs,but when i moved here from CA i got all the Videos and read all the books...so i know i`m one smart elk dude and NO one is gonna tell me different! The best way i have found to scout bulls is to listen to hunters talking,heck most have to brag so all you have to do is listen and go check out the storys...had a 399 walk through my yard last night

03-Oct-07
Yeah, well, I saw him too, and I measured him at 395 and some change.

I got video to back it up, wanna see it? LMAO.

03-Oct-07
i already have vids of that bull so i don`t need to see those and i have some more of the other river bull that was shot in 9,those are the most interesting. 395 and change??...hmmmm don`t know about that..but i do know you don`t measure an elk like you do a cat

03-Oct-07
Come on AZ huntress I was just joking. You gotta admit that was funny.

03-Oct-07
RB, She's probably a very proper woman (judging from her posts). Hopefully she won't stay offended and post her opinion/experiences at will on this site. Still waiting for the dope on this monster bull. I suspect Az Flash has a skewed perception of reality........then again, maybe it's me.

04-Oct-07
not a very nice thing to say swivdude. my perception is fine and reality is a opinion....then again maybe its just you?? at any rate i have no delusions of Grandeur when it comes to Elk

04-Oct-07
My aunt is a very proper lady (love ya). I have never been wrong? Just ask me? I must admit I did call that (Cervus elephus) a "TANK OF A BULL" when Ryan first brought him to my fire station. Sorry Aunty!! Texas cousin I would like to meet you. I know you are on the same page as the rest of us. Its time for me to go to work at the Taxidermy shop. You know the that is not in my back yard. The called Verde Valley Taxidermy. The one that hasn't been here since 1984. The that I didn't work for since I was 15. The one that I didn't buy from a guy named Fritz

04-Oct-07
Redbeard...just to let you know, I am a nice, broad lady and enjoy hunting very much. Just sorry I ruffled so many feathers, It's a "FEMALE THING"

04-Oct-07
AZhuntress,

I can tell you are the kind of hunter I admire or you wouldn't have said the things you did. I wonder if I know you.

I just had to make that joke to get a laugh out of the other guys because of the things they were saying. It really didn't have anything to do with you so I hope you weren't offended.

Maybe we wouldn't have so many problems with hunters being inconsiderate if there were more women like you keeping us in line. Guys are the real PIGS! But we're all kinda cute. Right?

04-Oct-07
Quit hitting on the huntress.

05-Oct-07
we are camping in Camp verde tonight,thought i would drop by that Taxi shop and look at that bull?is it still in the spot Fritz had it?....do they have HS football in that cowboy town?might go watch a game,i`ll be the 260 pound guy that reeks of elk knowlage

07-Oct-07
well i was at the FB game and had a bunch of pic`s of 400+ bulls,but seen none of you,i wanted to show y`all how to score elk,i think y`all know the basics,but don`t understand deductions and how to measure spreads...at any rateit was a heck of a game,them Cowboys done some whipping..47 to 7 i think..i talked to the firemen there and they never heard of a taxedermy fireman?

08-Oct-07

coueschaser3's embedded Photo
coueschaser3's embedded Photo
Recent photo of a Magnificent Cervus elephus, or Rocky Mountain Elk.

08-Oct-07
What'll he score?

08-Oct-07
Im no expert but he is pretty wide and definately has some mass to him. any guesses? definately a toad though.

08-Oct-07

08-Oct-07
Definately some deductions off the gross score, not exactly perfectly symmetrical.

08-Oct-07
Definitely a toad. Suspect it's from the Hassayampa river basin. Trail cam?

09-Oct-07
Az Flash I was at that game the entire game standing at the second row of bleachers. You damn sure didn't talk to me. I was working and in uniform. We had some pictures of two nice little bucks my nieces killed in 23 on the youth hunt. Sorry i missed you, i think i am sorry anyway. I dont know how i could have missed you being that large and intelligent. I do understand deductions to quote DOYLE nets are for fish.

10-Oct-07
trail cam by a secret worm hole. somewhere near queen valley golf course.

11-Oct-07
FFT, by all indications, Arizona Flash is a direct descendent of Forest Gump. As in, " ain't no fixin stupid." Only other person who posts here that must have someone else type for them is "Alpha Hunter". I imagine they are related or one in the same. Either way, neither one is worth replying to.Internet silence is in order.

16-Dec-07
Hey Az flash, Heres a flash for you 5bn is not in oak creek it is east of lake Mary rd by marshal and ashurst lake 5bs is kinikinik lake area 19a is not blue ridge if your refering to blue ridge resivior or blue rige ranger station that is in happy jack and depending on what side of the 87 your on you might be in 5a or 6a but 19a is north of the 169a going to prescott and west of I 17 just before comin down the hill to camp verde. Im not trying to tell you this to be a smart ass but you should check out the Az hunting regs to make sure you are hunting in the right areas id hate to see you go to jail for hunting in a unit you realy where not drawn for!!

16-Dec-07
"5bs is kinikinik lake area"

Kinnikinik Lake is in 5bN

16-Dec-07
Your right bb mixed my self up too 5b south is ashurst and marshal lake all the way down to long lake and 5b north is kinnikinik.but defenitly not oak creek!Thank you for the correction.

16-Dec-07
Russel,

Ashurst and Marshall ar on top of Anderson Mesa, They are all in 5BN.

16-Dec-07
i know but they acually arent on top of anderson they are on either side just at the crest!I happen to like 5 b north it has some very nice elk in it and on top of the mesa are some very nice Antelope ive seen aroud 40 or 50 in one group!

• Sitka Gear