strange Oregon hunting laws
Oregon
Contributors to this thread:
gangster40 31-Dec-17
swede 08-Jan-18
Yendor 21-Jan-18
Yendor 21-Jan-18
31-Dec-17
Just trying to lighten things up a bit. Back in about 2004 or so, in the bird Regs, It stated you could not have in your position A Canadian goose with a beck shorter then 22 cm. Never could tell the length while they were flying. As I understand right now you can not have any electronic devises attached to your bow, like a go-pro camera, but you can mount your cell phone to your bow. Are they not electronic. Not sure of the facts on this one it was a long time ago, but in my youth I was told there was a law that stated you could not shoot a deer or elk, to or from food, water, or bedding area's. What else do they do? In duck hunting you can not use a motorized decoy mojo duck, but you can use a wind duck, a pull string, or a hand crank. They all do the same thing. Just strange to me I guess. And last you can use electronic calls for predatory animals, elk, and deer, but you can not use them for duck or goose hunting. If there are any other you my know of, like to hear about them.

08-Jan-18
"I was told there was a law that stated you could not shoot a deer or elk, to or from food, water, or bedding area's." I don't remember exactly how the regs were worded, but they went something like that. I never got to ask any deer or elk about where they were heading or where they came from. They were shot if they had the legal head gear. I heard that many years ago States required just a hunting license, but there were no tags. That was until after a game warden saw an old man shoot a large buck. He came up to the shooter and asked to see his license. Well the old boy pulled out his drivers license and showed it to the game officer. The officer "that is no good". The game warden told the old gent he was going to ticket him and to "just go and retrieve the buck." The buck was at the bottom of a large clear cut unit. The shooter said "if you are going to ticket me, you can get it yourself", so the officer did. When the game officer finally got the buck to the landing after a difficult struggle the hunter said, "by the way what kind of a license did you want to see?" The officer said "well a hunting license." "You should have said so in the first place. I have one here in my shirt pocket" at which time the old gent produced his hunting license. That story was told as the truth, and it sounds plausible, but ....

21-Jan-18
In the rifle season in 1980, my Uncle was standing on the edge of a road looking over a deep canyon. Elk hunting. A game warden stopped to check his license. They were talking when my uncle spotted at the bottom of the canyon a legal 4 or 5 point walking along a clear area. My uncle looked through the binoculars to verify the animal. With the warden standing next to him he takes the shot and drops his elk. The game warden congratulated him. He then offered to go down with him to help recover the animal, as he was also a hunter. They get to the bottom of the canyon and fine the Elk? No, it turns out to be a freakish 4 X 5 point Muley. Antlers still looked like an elk, and the body was an elk color. My uncle thinks that he is screwed. He just shot a huge muley, instead of an Elk. He was crushed, and looked at the warden, and said "ï thought for sure it was an Elk. It still looked more like an elk, but what do you do. The Warden didn't say anything, but examined the animal for several minutes. He told my uncle to start field dressing it while he was thinking. My uncle saw him reach for papers in his coat, and started writing. The game Warden then told him to stop for a few minutes so they could talk. He handed him the paper, which was filled out as a warning ticket. My uncle didn't understand. But he was told, "I watched this animal come out when you did, and watched him with you. There was ZERO thought in his mind that it was a bull elk. Even when we got down here I thought that is kind of small for an elk. He told him that if he had been the hunter, I would have shot him just like you did. He helped my uncle get it ready to move, and helped him get it back to the road. Still has the antlers in his garage with his tag and license on it.

21-Jan-18
In the rifle season in 1980, my Uncle was standing on the edge of a road looking over a deep canyon. Elk hunting. A game warden stopped to check his license. They were talking when my uncle spotted at the bottom of the canyon a legal 4 or 5 point walking along a clear area. My uncle looked through the binoculars to verify the animal. With the warden standing next to him he takes the shot and drops his elk. The game warden congratulated him. He then offered to go down with him to help recover the animal, as he was also a hunter. They get to the bottom of the canyon and fine the Elk? No, it turns out to be a freakish 4 X 5 point Muley. Antlers still looked like an elk, and the body was an elk color. My uncle thinks that he is screwed. He just shot a huge muley, instead of an Elk. He was crushed, and looked at the warden, and said "ï thought for sure it was an Elk. It still looked more like an elk, but what do you do. The Warden didn't say anything, but examined the animal for several minutes. He told my uncle to start field dressing it while he was thinking. My uncle saw him reach for papers in his coat, and started writing. The game Warden then told him to stop for a few minutes so they could talk. He handed him the paper, which was filled out as a warning ticket. My uncle didn't understand. But he was told, "I watched this animal come out when you did, and watched him with you. There was ZERO thought in his mind that it was a bull elk. Even when we got down here I thought that is kind of small for an elk. He told him that if he had been the hunter, I would have shot him just like you did. He helped my uncle get it ready to move, and helped him get it back to the road. Still has the antlers in his garage with his tag and license on it. About 12 years later I was bow hunting Mt. Emily, when a warden stopped at camp to check my license. I noticed the name and asked him if he was the warden. It was, and he told me the same exact story.

• Sitka Gear