Sitka Gear
Any info on making a shed antler trap ??
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
carbon shooter 04-Feb-08
timberghost 04-Feb-08
timberghost 04-Feb-08
timberghost 04-Feb-08
timberghost 04-Feb-08
BlueBuck 07-Feb-08
Northwoods 08-Feb-08
lonewolf1985 08-Feb-08
St. Croix 08-Feb-08
mason 11-Feb-08
B4LITE 11-Feb-08
Nooner 11-Feb-08
jaybee 12-Feb-08
Bou'bound 12-Feb-08
NYSupersportsman 12-Feb-08
mn_archer 13-Feb-08
StickerPoint 13-Feb-08
blacktail 14-Feb-08
dihardhunter 14-Feb-08
hobbes 14-Feb-08
thumper 15-Feb-08
04-Feb-08
Any ideas on making a shed trap for deer antlers ???

04-Feb-08

timberghost's embedded Photo

04-Feb-08

04-Feb-08

04-Feb-08

07-Feb-08
Guys:

I have seen the string method used on major trails entering food plots on camps along MS River in Arkansas. The string is set close to a deer's average head height and catches the antler just the same as those shown in the pics around the feeders.

08-Feb-08
They are evidently illegal in some states as well. Minnesota, I recently read, is one of them. Not a bad idea to check out the game laws before creating one.

Northwoods

08-Feb-08
Check out www.shedhunter.net, to expensive for me, but the advertisement says it is safe for deer. A bucket suspended by break away bungy cords.

something to look at

08-Feb-08
They are not a good idea due to the fact that they can potentially injure the animal, cause entanglement, or knock the antler off prematurely. That is why they are illegal in Minnesota. I guess in this day and age where everyone is pressed for time and so demanding, then it probably is much quicker and easier than hiking the woods and burning shoe-leather. The cool thing about actually going out looking for antlers is that you can combine it with scouting at the same time. But, then if you only hunt that pile of corn that is probably a waste of time too.

11-Feb-08
Go walk for them!

11-Feb-08
Hog wire on three posts ">" width 40" apart put corn in narrow part. If they are loose the slight bump agoainst the wire will cause them to fall off. If not they just back out. Shouldn't hurt them. Check local laws.

11-Feb-08
mn_archer -- you might be watching too much hockey.

12-Feb-08
I won't respond anymore, other than the original thread was on how to build one nothing else!!!

12-Feb-08
you don't need to trap them. you can walk right up to them and they let you pick em' up.

12-Feb-08

13-Feb-08
Lazy and innovative-

You are joking, right???

Michael

13-Feb-08
Corn under a pinic table works great.

14-Feb-08
take a 50 ft X 4ft high roll of field fence and unroll it and hook it end to end.........place corn in middle, if horns are ready they will come off from jumping in and out....can be set up anywhere, and is easily removed when done. R

14-Feb-08
timberghost is that your contraption? Holy Crap!

14-Feb-08
I believe they are illegal in IL also. I do not believe they should be legal anywhere.

15-Feb-08
i snuck right up on a 3x4 set of muley sheds last night.they're not nearly as crafty as i thought,but then again they have'nt had much pressure in my area yet.

• Sitka Gear