onX Maps
Stands.... Homemade wood or Buy a metal?
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
PinStripes21 29-Oct-08
howler 29-Oct-08
hunter 29-Oct-08
howler 29-Oct-08
Seeker 29-Oct-08
xt deerslayer 29-Oct-08
Matt 29-Oct-08
pirogue 29-Oct-08
camoman73 29-Oct-08
Owl 30-Oct-08
midwest 30-Oct-08
Genesis 30-Oct-08
Grizzlymike 30-Oct-08
PinStripes21 30-Oct-08
samman 30-Oct-08
Animal Killer 30-Oct-08
Beendare 30-Oct-08
thesquid 30-Oct-08
Animal Killer 30-Oct-08
Hunterson 30-Oct-08
Owl 30-Oct-08
Beendare 30-Oct-08
Owl 30-Oct-08
Grizzlymike 30-Oct-08
PinStripes21 30-Oct-08
Africanbowhunter 30-Oct-08
Rubline 30-Oct-08
The Rooster 30-Oct-08
Chief 30-Oct-08
HARDBALL 31-Oct-08
Beendare 31-Oct-08
hunt fan 31-Oct-08
29-Oct-08
I got 5 wood stands set up on my grandfathers property. just wondering oppinions on wood stands. and if metal stands are any kind of a hassal

29-Oct-08

howler's Link
can the wood stands they are dangerous get yourself a metal stand, or several stands. check these out see the link.

29-Oct-08
Wood stands will creak more than metal ones!

29-Oct-08

howler's Link
these are the safest treestands out there, price ain't bad either

29-Oct-08
Take my word on it!!! Buy stands!!! I fell 22ft. 6 broken bones, one lost tooth and i ran a stick through my jaw an stuck it in the roof of my mouth. The hospitle bill would equal a hunt for griz, moose,and caribou. And would have also payed the taxidermy bill.

29-Oct-08
new metal stands cheaper than building wood ones

29-Oct-08
I would be willing to risk my safety on a stand I made out of wood as soon as I am willing to risk my family's lives on a car I made out of wood.

29-Oct-08

pirogue's embedded Photo
pirogue's embedded Photo
Come on, metal does not have any character.

29-Oct-08
Yep balsa wood stands are my favorite.Who needs that new fangled high tech metal stuff anyway?

30-Oct-08
Metal stands are more reliable, often more affordable, more comfortable and too readily available to consider wood.

30-Oct-08
Use wood! Feed the squirrels!

30-Oct-08
You can get a metal ladderstand for 49.99

30-Oct-08
Many years ago I used wood stands . Not that many metal stands on the market and they were fairly high priced. Wood was fairly low priced then too. Never had a problem with them except wood rots and insects love to make their homes in them. Only good for one or two years.

I now only use metal stands. A combination of hang on ,ladder and tripods. Very affordable Much safer and if you maintain them they will last forever.

No matter what kind of stand you use always wear a safety harness

30-Oct-08
All of my wood stands are all reinforced. ALl have roof. So i dont doubt that it will last, because it is completely enclosed. BUT i do live in the harsh winter of Buffalo NY, so it makes metal stands very cold and leaves you out in the elements lol Which is why i prefer to use my homemade tree stands. Metal Stands get very icy up here and just as dangerous in my oppinion. I think that if done correctly and measured to good measurements. A wooden tree can be very nice and safe.

30-Oct-08
If you can weld, make your own metal stands. I built two based on the Screaming Eagle stand for about $100. Metal prices have gone up recently, but it's still got to be cheaper.

30-Oct-08
If your an idiot go ahead and make wooden stands. My 3 year old brother has more brain than that to use a wooded stand that you put together. Think about it!!!!!!

30-Oct-08

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
Who says wood is dangerous.....those guys have never spent a day in this piece of quality workmanship!

30-Oct-08
Back when I had a guy that was a neighbor to the land I hunt I used my own wooden stands because he would steal and distroy - Finaly caught him and he got a huge fine and since left the area. Now I use medal stands (Rivers Edge) and love them. Easy to set up, easy to carry in and out, not at all expensive, and safe. Got mine on sale for around 39 bucks each.

30-Oct-08
You could probably hang yourself with that stand that hunt out of it.

30-Oct-08
At the price of lumber being high, and the price of metal stands whether that be hang on or ladder style being more affordable that they used to be, you will spend more on making yhour own. Especially if your time is worth anything, and all the non-lumber items like screws or nails, are accounted for. Smaller hang on stands can be found for around $40 and a 20 foot climbing stick for around $45. You can also buy a 15 foot ladder style stand for $60 and a 4 foot extension for $20. You can't build a 20 foot wooden stand for $85 including screws, nails, paint, etc and be worth your time involved in making it. Plus metal will be lighter, easier to manuever/move, and they will not rot. I used to build my own stuff too, but it doesn't pay. It doesn't hurt either because I DON'T FALL.

30-Oct-08
Ouch Beendare! What'd you do to deserve that contraption? ;)

30-Oct-08
Owl, I found this on public land in Ca. My guess is the guy customized it to compensate for his left leg being longer.

BTW, No nose bleeds from this baby- its 6' off the ground. IMO, the only thing funnier than this would have been coming up on the guy actually sitting in it.

30-Oct-08
CA? Figures. It's leaning left. :)

30-Oct-08
I changed my mine after seeing the California Stand . I think I will go back to building wood ones. Looks real stable for shooting while standing.

30-Oct-08
Well, im sure that metal stands are more logical in the long run. Never used one.... and think im gonna look into it. Although it is very rewarding hunting a wood stand that took you a month to build.... like idk how to explain.... maybe you guys know what i mean but the work and heart that i put into my stands makes it fun and rewarding.... Especially when you climb it on opening day.

30-Oct-08

Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo
Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo
Home made tree stand are a lot like home made parachutes

if you had to make a jump with oen chute no back up would you buy a Professwional one or a home made one?

Tree stand kill far more hunters now that firearms

Ask any Wildlife Professional

Tink Nathan

30-Oct-08
Pinstripes I am a Red Sox fan to start......

Go with metal ladder stands as I believe they are the safest treestand today. I do use the centipede and rapid rails along with ladder treestands.

Your wooden stands are always going to be a question of safety. If their well built and very new you may get by for the moment. But I would replace all those with metal stands. You should not choose aluminum there in New York due to porcupine damage so purchase steel.

Be sure that the ladderstand's platform has adequate standing room on the platform. Don't purhase the cheap junk like around 60 dollars stuff as they usually have tiny platforms and weak supporting brace arms.

Be careful in setting up such ladderstands by yourself, if you can find someone you can trust to help you set them up. Otherwise be very careful placing them yourself; use quality ratchet straps to tie it down tight.

If you purchase several quality ladderstands it will be a bit pricy but your safety is well worth the effort and costs.

30-Oct-08
Buy yourself a metal one. They're very inexpensive, easy to set up, and most of all, safe. Even if you can build a wood one cheaper, what is the ability to use your arms and legs for the rest of your life worth?

30-Oct-08
Buy a comercially made one and hunt out of it for a couple of days, then make up your mind. If you like it, buy more, if not, sell it on ebay.

31-Oct-08
those look like the robinson crusoe models

31-Oct-08
Owl- LOL good take!

31-Oct-08
There are advantages to both kinds of stands . You can build wooden stands that will be there for ten years in the same location and plenty safe if you use the proper materials they also allow you the chance to make it custom size for the young ones and those who dont like heights. The metal stands allow for excellent portability and flexability this also makes them open for theft. So in my opinion a combination of both is the way to go. Have about half dozen of each and like them all. Anybody who shuns one for the other is missing out on some advantages of the other one . Be safe and good luck hunting Gene

• Sitka Gear