Gary C. 02-Nov-08
Carpshooter 02-Nov-08
initialwound 02-Nov-08
Gary C. 02-Nov-08
gerald martin 02-Nov-08
butcherboy 02-Nov-08
XMan 03-Nov-08
01-Nov-08
Shot a deer on Saturday evening . Trailed it for about 30 yards but could hear deer moving in the dark . Even tho the shot looked good decided to leave it till morning . Night was close to freezing . Found it about 75 yards next morning. Hung it in cooler without the cooling system on for 3 days . temperature was cool. When I was taking the back straps off I cut first along the back bone , was about to cut along ribs toward backbone however it was like the back strap wasn't attached to the ribs and I was able to remove themm without cutting along the ribs. The only thing left on the ribs was what looked like a membrane. Has anyone ever seen this before or have any theory's.

01-Nov-08
Are you asking if the meat is still good to eat? If thats the question I would smell it and if it doesnt stink, its good.

01-Nov-08
Yes I am asking if the meat is still good to eat. It smelled ok but why would the meat just detach from the ribs . I have never seen that before.

01-Nov-08
My guess is that your meat is still ok. Not sure you hung it in the cooler without having the cooler on. The meat was definately ok the next morning after you shot the deer. If the meat does not have a sour smell and the temp didn't get over 40-45 degrees for any length of time...your meat is fine. As far as the back straps just peeling out without having to cut away from the ribs...you will find that a lot with younger deer(especially this years fawn)or the temp did get up around that 45 degree mark and the meat fibers started to break down. I make sure this happens quite a bit, but at a lower temp over a longer period of time. It sounds pretty sick, but the meat actually starts to break down or decompose. It is no big deal when done properly, it is the same reason they "age" beef (hang in controlled temp for 7-10 days), it makes the meat more tender. If you are still worried about it I would recommend freezing for at least 15 days and the observ the smell again when you thaw and cook it.

01-Nov-08
Don't take any chances with rotten meat. Give it away to your pain in the butt friends that hound you for deer meat all the time. They won't ask for any more.(only kidding) If it smells like feet do not eat, if it smells OK eat away!

02-Nov-08
Deer meat that has a greyish tint to it has gone bad with or with out a smell!

02-Nov-08
Sounds to me like you were removing the loins (inside the body cavity), not the backstraps... which come out really easily anyway. Backstraps are on the top of the back, on the outside, under the hide.

Your deer sounds fine... lots of deer are left overnight, as long as the temps are below 40 (just like being in your refrigerator) you have nothing to worry about.

02-Nov-08
Gary C. those are called tenders on the inside, the backstraps are the loins on most critters,hey I may be wrong in another part of the country,but I do work for a meat processing company here in the midwest.

Life's too short to take any changes,but do what you think is best.Have someone else look at this meat if in doubt.

02-Nov-08
try some if you get sick its no good.....should be ok though....when meat is rotten its not hard to tell the smell will give it away

02-Nov-08
Carpshooter - Tenders = tenderloins... loins for short. I've never heard anyone refer to backstraps as anything other than backstraps. A buddy of mine just bought a video from Askthemeatman.com on deer processing and he notes on the video that people often get the loins and the backstraps confused...

Check out http://www.askthemeatman.com/video_clips.htm#Deer_Processing_DVD_Video_Clip

02-Nov-08
Bear hunter, I've eaten deer that the backstraps were the same way. It should be no problem unless the meat smells bad or is slimy. Think of it as just being aged a little more than most venison. As was pointed out above, aging is simply allowing your meat to start the decomposition process in a controlled manner. Again, smell is my biggest criteria. If it smells off,it probably is.

02-Nov-08
Meat should be ok. Like everyone else has already said, if it smells bad then it is. Especially if it has a green tinge to it or the bones have a green tinge to it. This is known as bone sour and is caused by the animal not being gutted or skinned. This keeps the body heat in and the meat spoils from the inside.

Wildgame- tenderloins are on the inside along backbone backstraps are on the outside along backbone

Domestic-tenderloins are on the inside along backbone loins are on the outside along backbone and are also called short loin, rib loin, prime rib, ribeye, new york strip, rib steak, t-bone, standing rib roast, etc.

03-Nov-08
I agree with others, smell and color should tell you everything. Also, if the meat seems slimy along with a rotten smell, its gone. I have seen what you mention where the backstraps come off really easily after cutting along the spine and it could be attributed to a good knife and not a ton of fat on the deer. I would worry about it if the meat smells good.

• Sitka Gear