onX Maps
Best fluid head for Muddy camera arm...?
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
IowaBowGuy 12-Mar-09
dillkill 12-Mar-09
IowaBowGuy 12-Mar-09
IowaBowGuy 15-Mar-09
Africanbowhunter 15-Mar-09
Kansas Native 16-Mar-09
Iowa bound 16-Mar-09
IowaBowGuy 16-Mar-09
12-Mar-09
I'm currently using a Canon HV20 video camera but plan to upgrade to an XHA1 sometime in the future. What fluid head would you recommend for that set-up?

Thanks

12-Mar-09
Bogen 501.

12-Mar-09
Stupid Question...What's a Fluid Head and also a Muddy camera arm ? and what does IT do?

12-Mar-09

IowaBowGuy's Link
Muddy camera arm. Watch the video.

15-Mar-09
Anyone have experience with the MANFROTTO 128RC? Looks to be a bit lighter in the backpack and on the wallet.

15-Mar-09

Africanbowhunter's Link
What does Muddy run? Thanks Looks good

Tink

15-Mar-09
WHY is it called a 'fluid head'....is there a fluid in this product ?? like a shock absorber would have?

I have 2 different types of Camera Arms now....one is by Stag Horn out of Indiana (no longer in production since the owner passed away) and another I have (can't think of the name of it off hand)....works even better than The Stag Horn Company one! It has CORK pads and bushings in it and it 'creeeeeks' sometimes!

Thank's for the info!

16-Mar-09
Bogen 501 or 503. They call it a fluid head because it makes fluid movements.

16-Mar-09
I have the 701HDV head on my, 3rd arm, camera arm works great and is smooth. Looked at the muddy arms at the Eastern Sportsmans Show. Only thing I did not like about this arm was the fact the arms were not very long. You could extend it yourself probably with a piece of aluminum stock, but for the money ($229) it appeared to be a good arm and light weight too. Arms can be pricey for the good ones. I've seen the arms go anywhere from $120 to $850 and that is without a good fluid head. I am looking at the muddy arm for this year as my "3rd arm" is too heavy for self filmed hunts.

16-Mar-09
Thanks. I considered the Hunter Cam Cradle but it just seems too heavy and cumbersome when compared to the Muddy unit. Size and weight are important and after looking at all of them the Muddy was closest to what I was looking for. It will handle the XHA1 I'm eyeing up too!

As for the fluid head the Monfrotto 128RC is able to handle 8.8 lbs. and it's pretty light weight. I doubt the XHA1 will weigh more than that even loaded down with an external shotgun mic. I'm going to try it if I can get a good deal on a used one.

• Sitka Gear