cjgregory 26-Jun-09
Shoots-Straight 26-Jun-09
Bill in MI 27-Jun-09
TD 27-Jun-09
22-Jun-09

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Bear Track's embedded Photo

Bear Track's Link
I got this in an email today and it's one of the biggest wolves I've see ever. If you zoom in on it, you'll see a snare hanging.

22-Jun-09
It was shot near drayton valley by my uncles friend. They were just sitting on a big cut line when wen it passed by.

22-Jun-09
where is Drayton Valley.

22-Jun-09
Sorry, it is in alberta close to edmonton.

22-Jun-09
talk about a monster I wounder how many elk he ate in the last year

22-Jun-09
I thought this photo was supposed to be a fake- is it really real,, Spencer?

Anyone know the weight?

22-Jun-09
That's a dire wolf.

WOW!!!!!!

22-Jun-09
So where are the guys who claimed on the other thread to KNOW that this was a photoshopped picture?

22-Jun-09
huntinhabit-- It forwarded to me by him, trust me its real.

22-Jun-09
Thanks for comfirming Spence, my point on the other thread was that it was real and was not photoshopped. Others claimed there was no way it was a real photograph.

22-Jun-09
Its has to weigh more than the guy holding it.

23-Jun-09
I think I might be packing some bigger broadheads next fall...

23-Jun-09
How large is the man holding the wolf? DAVE

23-Jun-09
4'11", 105 pounds, I would think...

23-Jun-09
You can guess all you want!

I have trapped, shot and weighed a lot of wolves. The heaviest wolf I ever weighed was 122 pounds.

It was a male, overall just over 8 feet long and had a belly full of moose meat.

The point is that they are "rangy" and don't weigh as much as you would think.

Pete

23-Jun-09
The head on that wolf in the photo looks like it would weigh 122lbs

23-Jun-09
Could be real, but something about that photo looks odd. If the wolf is only 110-120 pounds, the guy in the photo is no more than 100 pounds.

Did a quick search on this wolf, and it has been killed in many different places by many different people. Alaska, Canada, you name it.......

Spencer, are you saying your uncle witnessed this wolf being shot and he took the picture? When was it killed?

23-Jun-09
I have killed and seen many dead wolves. I would say this one is about 135 to 145 pounds. The largest one I have ever seen weighed 144 pounds and this one looks quite similar.

23-Jun-09
From wikipedia:

"The largest wolf on record was a male Alaskan wolf (Canis lupus pambasileus) which weighed 175 pounds. This is the largest wolf subspecies (up to 3 feet tall at the shoulder), but this individual was exceptional - they normally weigh no more than 130 pounds, occasionally up to 150."

23-Jun-09
I have noticed that most of the wolves that weigh 200 lbs or more (and there are lots of them) are usually killed in bars....!

24-Jun-09
You can watch the video of the guy shooting it on huntingfootage.com. The video is called 1st wolf or first wolf.

24-Jun-09

nijimasu's Link
I believe you have to be registered to watch this, but here's the link Huffskies is talking about. I don't think it's the same guy or the same wolf, though.

24-Jun-09
No that's not the same wolf or the same guy in the video, but it is a wolf and a guy. If you take your wolf to the carnival... they can guess it's weight?

Cool pic Bear Track, thanks for sharing!

24-Jun-09
Spencer give us the details, weight, length.... You can't just say it's real because a sister's cousin's best friend's uncle's dog knows the guy who's friend's pet octopus took the picture.

I say this because the pic looks slightly odd. Odd in the sense that unless the guy is Kiko the dwarf with his side kick mongo the giant wolf the photo is B.S.

25-Jun-09
I thought this had been determined as fake a long time ago.

25-Jun-09
I had a golden retreiver that died from something like giantism disease... He was 142 lbs when he died and he was about the same size as this wolf!!!!

I miss ole JAKE

25-Jun-09

Gundy's embedded Photo
Gundy's embedded Photo
Like Pete said, wolves are long, tall and rangy. No doubt in my mind the pic is real. It looks huge because of it's thick pelt.

Some may remember this pic of an Idaho wolf that got "managed" from the air. Look at the length.

26-Jun-09
Using my Trig and Calculas, the shadow length and time of day, shows that the man is 5'4" and weighs just over 136.

Sarge

26-Jun-09
i'm guessing a guy that can't spell calculus correctly almost certainly doesn't know how to use it.

26-Jun-09
Cut Sarge some slack he's old. I'm guessing "calculas" is a combination of calculus and the abacus. When I get that age I just hope I can type ;)

26-Jun-09

kent rock's embedded Photo
kent rock's embedded Photo
This may help....I'm 5'10" 185lbs, trapped this wolf back in January and it weighed 126lbs.

26-Jun-09
Gee, Kent ... he looks cold. Maybe you should take him inside to warm up. :0)

26-Jun-09
How much does a prime pelt like that bring Kent? where do you get a stretcher for it anyway? lol You would have to make your own or something.

26-Jun-09
You SOB, you trapped my dog Nola. Nice doggy.

27-Jun-09
Now THAT'S a wolf-i-kil. lol

Bill in MI

27-Jun-09
Obviously none of you guys have ever taken any fishing pictures. =D

I doubt it's photoshopped, but different lenses and angles can do many things way before photoshop ever existed. Likely a true picture is my bet.

Big animal none the less. Imagine being a bull elk or moose in the snow with a pack of those chasing you....

• Sitka Gear