Genesis 29-Sep-09
Genesis 29-Sep-09
Warren 29-Sep-09
Arapahoe 29-Sep-09
Arapahoe 29-Sep-09
FlatLndr 29-Sep-09
archer20 29-Sep-09
28-Sep-09
I know there is no exact science but does the Kansas rut start around mid-November? I'm trying to plan my trip.

28-Sep-09
If I had to nail down the actual rut here in Kansas, I would say it generally starts around the 8th or 10th and runs until about Thanksgiving. Over the last 20 years I probably see more deer from the 8th to the 20th but I nearly always see the real eye-poopers from the 20th to Thanksgiving.

There are deer moving all of November and I have taken deer throughout the month. Much of the first week in November can be filled with smaller bucks (125 inch) deer. These are just some observations. I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions and none of them will be wrong.

If I had to plan a hunt here I would shoot for the 10th through the 20th and lean toward the latter dates.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Mike

28-Sep-09
10,11,and 12 are my favorite days in Kansas. I never have the luck a lot of guys do later in the month, but other guys sure do good Thankgiving week.

29-Sep-09
I've shot a few really nice bucks the first week of Nov, and other mid to late.

This year both will be good.

Expect the first week will be excellent, seeking phase, then starting around the 12th or so there will be about 2 weeks of really strong chasing with breeding increasing.

The further Nov. goes to more breeding will take place and the more difficult it will become.

29-Sep-09
give me Nov 5 to Nov 25th in KS and I would be a happy man.

29-Sep-09
Where's Travis at? He knows!

Travis you out there brother????

29-Sep-09
Rupe--I know nothing!!!!!!!!! LOL.. The little guys will be running their heads off the first two weeks while the big boys are locked down with a receptive doe..they don`t need to chase and run their fool heads off--all they have to do is step out on the field..15th through the 23rd--primetime for 150`s or better...

29-Sep-09
Rupe--I know nothing!!!!!!!!! LOL.. The little guys will be running their heads off the first two weeks while the big boys are locked down with a receptive doe..they don`t need to chase and run their fool heads off--all they have to do is step out on the field..15th through the 23rd--primetime for 150`s or better...

29-Sep-09
I agree with Travis,2 1/2- 3 1/2 better before the 15th and 4 1/2 16th- 30th

Even though you run the risk of busted racks the days beginning in "2" for the bruisers.

29-Sep-09
I am not a believer in man caused global warming but rut times SEEM to be happening a bit later. I defer to Genesis and others when it comes to Kansas but you got to get out there as much as possible in November. Man, I can't wait!!! Charlie

29-Sep-09
This is my first Kansas hunt, Do you guys see alot of mid-day action. We've got to carry and hang our own stands on a DIY hunt and I wondered if I would be better off sitting or scouting mid-day. We're hunting Nov. 14 through 21. Thanks, Clark

29-Sep-09
During the peak of the rut, sit all day. 1:00 pm is always a good time to see a buck cruising.

29-Sep-09
Mid day is awsome...Hunt it--get between bedding areas, or on the downwind side of bedding areas and the boys will start looking around 11 am

29-Sep-09
I've been hunting KS for 10yrs and the best time I have had hunting so far was the 12th to the 20th for seeing big bucks on their feet. As a few of the guys stated above you see the 2.5tr olds running around early but the big ones don't come out till later. I will be there the 12th to the 23rd

29-Sep-09

travis@work's embedded Photo
travis@work's embedded Photo
I`m 9 miles from wichita...I seem to have a habit forming more and more each year...throwing my buck tag in the trash come the end of the season..lol...I`ve taken enough 8 pointers, got 2 or 3 10 to 11 pointers..two of which would push 160...I used to shoot decent 8 points in late Oct/early Nov. then hang my bow for the year...never really gave the late rut a chance untill I started letting smaller deer walk...Now I can`t wait for the tail end of the rut...The first few years it kinda depressed me seeing all them young bucks chasing does and wondering where the bigger deer were..then thinking man the rut is peaked and my odds are going downhill...that`s just not the case anymore..if I had the will power I would stay completely out of the woods till the 2nd week of Nov but i can`t do that..lol

As time would have it I started seeing the big 10s and 12`s after the peak..at the end of Nov. I believe the bucks are wearing down and spend more time feeding and trying to regain their energy instead of searching bedding areas ect...My biggest bucks have always been shot real close to Thanksgiving. The picture was the day before Thanksgiving..

29-Sep-09
Do you think that the big boys show up later because there are less does in estres making them have to work alittle harder and alittle longer to find them?

29-Sep-09
Big bucks are time consuming.There is NO magic week just a slightly more probability in older bucks later.

I will take 3 weeks off this year and will start my hunt the 7th.

I drove up this weekend and passed on 3 PY bucks (all 3 1/2)largest 145 at 15 yards.They were doing what 3 1/2 year olds do in early season.

If a guy is looking for a 3 1/2 year old I would hunt 4th through 11th.That's just me though.

29-Sep-09
"Do you think that the big boys show up later because there are less does in estres making them have to work alittle harder and alittle longer to find them?"

Yes,mature bucks aspire to be FIRST and LAST to Breed

Lots of huge buck activity in early Nov as Woody aludeded but the problem is the swipe up the first doe and quickly ushers her off to some isoloated unhuntable spot and you can't find him

Later in Nov he is searching and searching with the hope of finding the LAST breedable doe.This is a far longer time than the intial search to be FIRST.

Advantage......Later Nov wins the probability contest but probability doesn't put him on the ground...:)

In all honesty,many bowhunters will burn out stands and them selves hunting early and by the time these monarchs are up on their feet the most we have moved on to something warmer...:)

29-Sep-09
Weeks, I would scout right now with aireal maps and find the funnels. You will find several good stands like that. The best tree we ever found in Kansas was sitting on the tailgate eating lunch. Big boy was pushing a doe across a grass field. I killed him the next morning out of that cedar tree and have killed two more out of it since then. This stand is in a bedding area between hardwood hills and farm fields. We also hang our own stands. You should have no trouble getting on deer since you are from Bama. The deer up there will seem tame compared with what you are used to. Just remember that a small amount of cover will hold a good buck and they will walk in daylight. Rattle and call all day long and be prepared for a response. Good luck.

29-Sep-09

Arapahoe's embedded Photo
I live in Wichita and have bowhunted the rut since 1989.Weather, IMO, will move bucks.Lately early Nov. has been very mild. The latter part of the month you will have a better chance of a cold blast coming through.I talked to a local biologist that said peak estrus was approx. Nov.17-19 here in Kansas.I too like Travis, am a fan of Thanksgiving week.Good hunting.

29-Sep-09

I live in Wichita and have bowhunted the rut since 1989.Weather, IMO, will move bucks.Lately early Nov. has been very mild. The latter part of the month you will have a better chance of a cold blast coming through.I talked to a local biologist that said peak estrus was approx. Nov.17-19 here in Kansas.I too like Travis, am a fan of Thanksgiving week.Good hunting.

29-Sep-09
O'man am I psyched thanks. I have permission on a new farm so I'm scouting and hunting mid Oct then looks like 2nd to 3rd week in Nov

29-Sep-09
Been hunting kansas my whole life, I always take 10 through the 17th off and hunt all day, and always see the big boys on their feet, but this year its been cool and i would not look past the first week of nov. with the rising moon could be killer. Good Luck

• Sitka Gear