muzzy100 11-Nov-09
Titan_Bow 11-Nov-09
leftybearfan 11-Nov-09
njbowguy 11-Nov-09
nijimasu 11-Nov-09
Gerald Martin 12-Nov-09
Elk Hollow 12-Nov-09
09-Nov-09
With deer camp fast approaching, I've got some venison backstraps to grill this Friday evening. I've done this a variety of ways but I'm always open for new recipes. If you have a good one, let me know. Thanks EH

09-Nov-09
I like to soak it in some teyeaki sauce for a few hours then grill about 12 inches of the loin with out it being cut into bite sized steaks, then after it is grilled i cut it into the bite sized steaks. I take the left over teyeaki sauce and boil it in a pan and add some corn starch to thicken it a tad and put the meat and the thick teyeaki sauce into a gallon zip lock bag and let it sit for 15 minutes then take out and enjoy.

10-Nov-09
Butterfly the loin into 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" thick steaks. Wrap with bacon held in place with a few toothpicks. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sear over HOT coals a few minutes on each side to medium rare.

10-Nov-09
Man I had some last night with heavy salt and pepper,it was awesome. I usually get fancy with stuff but that was easy and delicious. That was of course the tenderloin and not the backstraps,but it still tastes so good. I found I like the meat better without all of the marinades. Jack Daniels sells good mariandes in the grocery store that will satisfy just about anyone though.

10-Nov-09
Cut into bite size pieces, wrap with bacon held in place with tooth picks and marinate in Dales for about 30 minutes. Grill over hot coals until bacon is done.

10-Nov-09
My favorite is to leave the backstrap in a large chunk. A foot or so long. I make up my own dry rub and coat it generously. There are many good dry BBQ rubs you can get at the grocery store if you don't want to make your own. I then cook it with indirect heat on the Weber (often adding a bit of fruit wood for smoke) until it is just past rare. It will be juicy and tender such that you can cut it with a fork. I've had lots of people who say they don't like venison come back for seconds when I prepare it this way.

10-Nov-09
I have yet to try it but i saw Smokey Joe on north to alasaka bread and deep fry in butter flavored crisco loked very good might want to try a lesser cut of meat first

10-Nov-09
Hope this helps:

For me, as long as I keep any of the venison cuts (including the best, the tenderloins and the back strap) 1/2" thick, good things happen. I think its because it then takes so little time for the CENTER to reach the right temperature (I fergit what that is), that the remainder never gets over done, producing that "liver" taste, and toughness. If those two things are absent, any spices do great tings. My favorite is just a little butter, a sprinking of caraway seed, and good dose of salt and pepper.

Remember that "done" in the center will still be pink meat.

I also look for the color to turn from "red flesh" to "pink meat". That means a lot to me as far as judging doneness. Sometime a thermometer is kind of impractical for thin cuts..

10-Nov-09
Keep it simple. Marinate a few hours in olive oil and red wine vinegar. Then roll in fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt. Grill on hot fire to rare.

10-Nov-09
whole back strap or cut in 1/2 jigger it with a fork on all sides - marinate for 2-4 hours in olive oil, italian dressing, worst-however-the-hell-you-spell-it and black pepper.

Grill on each side until it quits kicking then eat.

10-Nov-09
Quick and easy. Take your backstrap in what ever desired steaks or length. get some McKormic montreal steak seasoning and coat all sides of the back strap and press it in with your hands, make sure you coat it well, done right you will not see the meat just the seasoning. place on the grill and cook to your liking. very good flavor and quick and easy.

10-Nov-09
Whole loin butterfly sprinkle with McCormick's broiled steak seasoning cook on hot grill serve rare or medium rare super and easy

10-Nov-09
My wife’s favorite (and maybe mine) is to use butterflied or just sliced (3/4”) pieces of backstrap and coat them each turn on the grill with a mix of equal parts soy sauce, butter, and brown sugar that has been heated to melt/dissolve in a small saucepan. Put over med-high heat and be sure to coat liberally. It forms a real sweet layer of flavor…..they are awesome!

10-Nov-09
Damn CAS that sounds like a homerun to me. I always tinker with things and am surprised I never tried that before.Brian

10-Nov-09
IF your cooking for someone that doesn't normally eat wild game. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the game taste out of the meat?

Thanks, and sorry for highjacking your thread.

10-Nov-09

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
You can stop posting as I have the best recipe. (I found it on another site, in the interest of full disclosure). I have made it and it is numero uno. It takes about an hour of prep, but it is worth it. (Some 12 oz'ers can help you through the preparation.)

Deer backstrap.

Bacon- thin sliced and cheap

toothpicks

cream cheese

teriyaki –not soy sauce- marinade

garlic powder (not garlic salt!)

pepper

pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices

1 link of deer sausage- cut or shredded into fine pieces. (Pork/breakfast sausage works fine)

Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers (I use canned jalapenos)

onion- Cut into slivers 1 in. long

meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the backstap out and cut 3/4 in filets.

Take a meat tenderizer and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.

Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Teriyaki marinade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.

Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.

Now sprinke some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle.

Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 Jap. slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.

Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll.

Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpics.

Now cook on the grill until the bacon is cooked like you like it. About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.

Remove and cool for a couple of minutes (the cream cheese will be very hot) and enjoy.

I promise you will not be disappointed! This will blow your mind! If ordered in a restaurant you would pay $50+

Let me know what you think, that is if your able to stop eating long enough to send me a response.

10-Nov-09
The best way to get the game taste out of venison is serve moose. Wow I did a roast in a crock pot for 10 hours. I pulled it out tried to cut it with a sharp knife and it crumbled. several people thoght it was beef. This works great for deer also. I cut up 1 onion,a can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 beef boulon cube. cook for 6 hours and add carrots and potatoes.It will fall apart and have no game taste. plenty of juice for gravy.

10-Nov-09
Thanks heatmizer, I think you can cook a tractor tire in a crockpot and it would taste good.

10-Nov-09
Soak the whole loin in 1 cup Jack Daniels, 1 cup beer, tablespoon of garlic for an hour. Finish the beer and Jack D, grill until done rare.

10-Nov-09
To avoid gamey taste (liver-ish, to me..): Make sure the cuts are thin and done rare. Actually, it will look rare, but be done medium. "Done" venison is still pink, unlike beef.

10-Nov-09
They all sound good but this is not only my favorite but super easy, Unfortunately it's not grilled, but in a fry pan. I guess you can put a fry pan on the grill and cook it.

Cut backstrap into bite size pieces (tenderize with palm of hand if you want it really tender)

roll in flour and seasoning (montreal steak is my favorite, but salt and pepper is fine)

put in hot fry pan with olive oil, cook for about 30 seconds a side,

Eat hot.

10-Nov-09
Blend garlic cloves, rosemary, salt and pepper into oil olive. Spread it on the steaks and refrig. for at least 2 hours. Pull them out and wipe off the "smear" so it doesn't burn on the grill. Grill them hot and quick.

10-Nov-09
I am hungry now

10-Nov-09
Ditto on the hungry!

I'll typically marinate any cut of steak before grilling. Any variety or combination will work. It ain't rocket science and I don't think you can really screw it up. Just whip some stuff together and give it a whirl.

I do believe most people make the mistake of only marinating for an hour or 2. My minimal marinade time is 24 hours. Most of the time it's 36 hours. IMO an hour in the fridge is no different than just dipping it in the marinade right before grilling. To do any real marinating it needs to sit in the stuff over night.

10-Nov-09
What bow shot said. Venison is a very dark red meat. If you cook the color out of it you're WAY over done. Pink is medium in my book.

Lots of good recipes up there, here's a quick easy one.

I like to cut 90 degrees across the grain, about 3/8 thick, more or less. Depends on your mood. =D

Put it in a zip lock bag and pour in enough Italian salad dressing to coat everything real well. I'll let it marinate an hour or two at least. Turn it and mush it around real well in the bag with your hands every 15 minutes to half hour. About the time it takes to drink a beer. =D

I usually leave it out on the counter to marinate and let the meat get to room temp. It cooks more evenly that way. Grill it fast. I like to turn it twice or more, it only takes a couple minutes on a hot grill.

10-Nov-09
Z Barebow and I have the same recipe. Found mine last year on Archerytalk.com and let me tell you the recipe is by far the best I have ever had. It is so good you would slap your momma if she tried to take that from you.

I used wild boar sausage and words cannot express how great it tasted.

Now I just need to get a stinking deer.

10-Nov-09
We like our deer backstraps cut about 2" thick

Wrap with Bacon, pin with wire pins, (toothpicks burn)like a filet mignon

Soak in Soy sauce for a half hour, dip top and bottom in ground garlic before placing on HOT grille.

Serve Rare, partly charred on top and bottom, almost red/cool in the center.

Hearty red wine, and steamed asparagus as a side.

just awesome as left-overs too...just slice thin, and enjoy....

Garo

11-Nov-09
Take a large chunk of backstrap completely cover with montreal seasoning.Place in very hot fry pan with peanut or olive oil sear the strap until it is nice and brown remove from pan and slice thinly ( it should still be very rare) return to hot pan flip the pieces once quickly. Put some sauted onions and mushrooms on top of meat add sliced cheese. Turn the heat off and cover until cheese is melted. Serve on bulky rolls with a little mayo.

11-Nov-09
Keep it whole, brush it with a 50/50 mixture of olive oil and butter. Season fairly heavy with salt and pepper, and grill to medium rare. Meanwhile, in saucepan on the stove, sautee a shallot in a little olive oil until tender. (about 2-3 minutes). Add 1/2 cup of good beef stock and 1/2 cup of red wine. Turn the heat up and reduce this till its almost a syrup. Pull it off the heat, throw in approx. 1/2 tablespoon of fresh chopped rosemary, and then whisk in 1/2 stick of cold butter, one tab at a time. Drizzle the sauce over the meat, and serve with skin on mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, and a good red wine.

11-Nov-09
i think deer is better in the pan. its nice and lean,too dry for the grill

11-Nov-09
Depends on how you cook it. I love tenderloins on the grill, but I never take them much past medium rare. Once you go past medium with them, the entire texture and flavor changes, and it dries out rapidly, due to the low fat content.

11-Nov-09
Nothing fancy from me....I leave the backstraps in 12" lengths, put them on the grill and liberally apply butter as it cooks.

If I'm feeling really frisky, I'll marinade the straps in Allegro for a while before grilling.

11-Nov-09
You can seriously convert people with this one:

Cut your backstrap into 2 inch medallions

marinate them in apple cider for an hour

drain them and toss in some of your favorite bbq sauce

wrap each piece in bacon and toothpick it

season to taste with salt and black pepper

grill till the bacons done Did it this weekend and blew us away!

11-Nov-09

nijimasu's embedded Photo
nijimasu's embedded Photo
Trim any silverskin and butterfly into 2 inch steaks (start with 4 inches), poke with a fork, marinate for an hour in olive oil, sake, soy sauce, pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, onion powder, and LOTS of garlic. grill over mequite coals- and like everybody has said- keep it pink in the middle!

12-Nov-09
Z-barebow, I'm going to send you the bill for cleaning the drool out of my keyboard. That sounds like a KILLER recipe. I'm going to try that one ASAP.

12-Nov-09
Thanks for all the recipes and suggestions. They all sound great and those with pictures looked delicious. I've done a little research on the internet and decided to try two recipes. One is similar to some of the ones previously submitted. I'm now marinating one backstrap in a brown sugar/ soy sauce mixture and will wrap bacon around entire loin and then grill. I marinate beef most of the time but have never marinated venison because I really like the taste of venison.

The second backstrap I have butterflied and will stuff with an herbed dressing, roll it back together and tie it with butchers string. I'll season it with salt and pepper and then put it on the grill.

I'll do my best not to overcook as I agree with others that that is a no no. When internal temp reaches 145F I'll remove, slice into sections and enjoy. Thanks again for everyone's input. And in the future I'll definitly try some of the new favorite recipes. EH

• Sitka Gear