Bowsite.com Logo

How to cook turkey legs/thighs?

By: Mad_Angler
Posted: 17-May-10

How do folks eat these parts?

The breasts are nice and easy. I always struggle with this legs and thighs...

By: arctichill

It's a little bit of work (primarily removing the tendons and silver lining), but it's always been well worth it for me.

By: Bow Crazy

Here is an easy way, tender and tastes great.

Put all is a slow cooker, spice with whatever you want, add a can of cream of chicken soup and half a can of water. Put on low, 8 hours later if all falls off the bone and its nice and tender. Serve over rice or noodles and you have a great meal.

You really can't go wrong with this.

BC

By: sticksender

The legs and thighs are my favorite part. If you throw them out, you're wasting 3+ pounds of meat on a mature Tom. Just slow cook them any way you like at about 200-220 degrees. As Bow Crazy mentions, at least 6-8 hours. Then strip the meat away from the bones and tendons. IMO the dark meat has better flavor and is less dry than the breast meat.

By: Sage Buffalo

"Slow and low that is the tempo..."

Slow cooking is key.

Also heavy up on the spices as wild turkey tends to be bland.

By: Gundy

The legs and thighs are terrible. Like chewin' on bungee cord.

By: 'Ike'

Like BC and Sage Buff said...Cook 'em slow and it'll break them down. I either do the crock pot thing or boil 'em down for soup...

By: midwest

Yep, crock pot 'em all day. I cook them in canned chicken broth and seasoning of my choice. Take out the parts when the meat falls off the bone and separate the meat from the bones and tendons. Strain the broth if you want, then cook a pile of noodles in it. Thicken with some corn starch and return the meat to the noodles and sauce.

By: GAFFER1

Same as Midwest - use the crock pot and cook them all day. I mix 1/3 coffee with 1/3 vinegar and 1/3 water to cover the meat. Cook till it falls off the bone. I shred the meat and mix with what grilling sause we have around and make "pulled turkey" sandwiches.

By: medicinemann

Gaffer and I use the exact same approach. I just made some yesterday....yum.

By: arctichill

Mix with coffee? Explain the reason for this please. Sounds interesting and I've never heard of that before.

By: Arapahoe

Simmer them in 10-12 c. of water for 2 or 3 hours,debone and save the broth. Add to broth chicken bullion,celery,carrots,onion,and a 24 oz. bag of Reames frozen noodles and simmer til tender.Add chopped dark meat and two cans of cream o'chicken soup.I also add parsley,dried thyme,pepper and BAM!!

By: Otto

I hope I never get hungry enough to have to eat a turkey leg.

I reckon an old tire would be easier to eat.

By: kansas bowman

preheat the oven 400 degrees then put the wild turkey legs, and a old leather boot, in an aluinum pan that holds the juices, cook it for 60 min. take it out of the oven throw away the turkey legs and eat the boot.

By: Bow Crazy
Posted: 18-May-10

Throw away the turkey legs and eat the boot, now that is funny! Really, try in the crock pot and you won't regret it.

I've cooked in a crock pot on low with just water in it to cover. After the meat is ready, pull off the bone, chop up and in another pot on the stove add your favorite BBQ sauce. Simmer for a while and serve over buns. Tender and tasty!

BC

By: LTG

I use mine to make stock. Not enough fat to have to skin much, much richer flavor than chicken. After you are happy with color and flavor, I pull out legs/thighs, strip meat from bones/tendons and then use to add back for soup. Can freeze many pints of stock from a pair of turkey legs supplemented with a few goose legs for color.

By: hawg

Sounds like some are wasting some good meat.

My favorite....slow roast like you would any turkey.

When done...strip meat away from bones and tendons. (easy when hot)

Let cool...chop meat in food processor...mix in mayo, chopped onions, relish or whatever you like.

It makes a wonderful sandwich spread.

By: Davy C

I use a pressure cooker on legs and thighs. Same principal as slow cooking. The meat falls right off the bones and tendons.

By: midwest

I've done the same as hawg with the slow cooked meat as well. Makes great sandwich spread.

By: dj

Pressure cook all the bony pieces, ie. Legs, thighs,wings and back.remove the bones. Use the meat and broth to make turkey dressing. This has been Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner at our house for years. Of course you may need to be from the south to know about cornbread dressing.

By: Bowfreak

I throw them over the hill with the rest of the carcus. In my opinion you might as well eat the beak too. Breast only for me.

By: Dream Catcher@work

Dream Catcher@work's embedded Photo

Put flour in a brown paper bag and add some salt and pepper. Throw in the leg/thighs and shake up. Heat a pan with a little olive oil and lightly brown the leg/thighs. Take out and put in a slow cooker with chicken stock, wine, seasoning and veggies. Slowly cook until meat is tender. This may take MANY hours! The original veggies will be too soft but smash them up or put into a blended and put back into the stock. Now add new veggies and once they are tender serve meat and veggies over rice. My triplet girls and wife love it. It's great with pheasant leg/thighs too. Here is a picture of one of the birds I got last week!

By: fuzzy

crock pot 'em with a can of beer, 4-6 hours, remove bones and splints, add a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a dash of A-1 sauce, stir, cook another hour, serve over wild rice...yum!

By: MDB

I have to try the slow method -- I hate wasting them (though I always kept jake legs). But here's spomething I did last year that was great -- cut out the silver skin and grind em with a tough of bacon -- saweeeeeet turkey burger right there

By: lewis

Pressure cooker comes right off and makes great turkey salad and gumbo

By: wapiti270
Posted: 19-May-10

I agree with High Country

By: HAVOC

I agree with others about the flavor of thighs/legs, they are excellent. When you breast out a bird your throwing away ALOT of meat, not something I'll EVER do. I slow roast as other do, let it cool, then pull off the tendons and small bones. seems like they strip off better when cooled down. Then I cut the pieces up into 1/2" cubes and mix with Cream of Chicken soup, eat over potatoes/rice or in a bun as a sandwich. My kids absolutely love it, as my wife and I do.

By: GrayGhost

Low and slow, add some cream gravy and veggies...turkey pot pie. Yum!

By: Deflatem

I grind them into Burger or make sausage.

By: guidermd
Posted: 20-May-10

cook with a rock. when finished cooking, thow away and eat the rock. garnish the rock with an old tire.

By: GAFFER1
Posted: 21-May-10

I got the coffee idea from this sight a couple of years ago. I added vinegar as I feel it helps make the mix into a marinade. Add what ever other spices you want. Tender stuff.

By: archer
Posted: 22-May-10

Crock pot. Meat will be falling off the bone and tender!

End of Topic
Bowsite.com Logo