sprinklerhunter 17-Sep-10
LongbowBob 18-Sep-10
Bou'bound 18-Sep-10
RTH 18-Sep-10
mike-s 19-Sep-10
huntinnut 19-Sep-10
boman 20-Sep-10
22-Jun-10
My son is turning 9 in September and I want to get him a compound bow. He has been shooting for a couple of years with a black rhino longbow but he is frustrated with it.. I want him to love it and be confident.....

What are some that will work for a 9 year old?

Thanks

22-Jun-10
try the parker line.most bow man. has great shooting youth bows.

22-Jun-10
Bowtech Soldier

22-Jun-10
I have a Hoyt Trykon Jr for my 9 year old. He has had it since he was 6 1/2 and I cant imagine a better bow. Very adjustable. I am going to be buying one for my 6 year old this fall.

22-Jun-10
Maybe the Diamond Razor Edge.

22-Jun-10
I got my son the diamond justice to start with @ 8 yrs old and now has a diamond razor edge @ 11. Both have been great for him. Just like us adults - the better the equipment the easier it is to enjoy. If you are interested in the justice and want to save a few bucks send me a pm.

22-Jun-10
2 for the Diamond Razor Edge, you can adjust this bow from 10-50lbs, 18-31 inch draw length. Perfect fro a growing kid that age. My buddy just bought one for his son and it is perfect.

22-Jun-10
just looked at the bear apprentice today for my 7 yo daughter, very nice bow 15-27 draw,20=50 lbs, you should check it out

22-Jun-10
just looked at the bear apprentice today for my 7 yo daughter, very nice bow 15-27 draw,20=50 lbs, you should check it out

22-Jun-10
My Daughter Enjoys her Martin Leopard. 15# dw range,

Speed: 282 FPS (60#, 26”, 300 gr.) Let-Off: 80% (adjustable) Draw Weights: 40#, 50#, 60# Draw Lengths: 21” to 26” (swap out cam modules) Brace Height: 7” Weight: 3.35 lbs. Axle Length: 30”

22-Jun-10
Steve

Try getting him to shoot a Genesis for a while - it's only drawbacks are draw length (18-30) and zero let off. The draw length can become fixed with use of a drawstop(available on the Genesis Pro). If you're wanting him to start hunting, look at Alpine's 'youth model or the Parker Buckshot.

Alpine's Micro Elite Package runs 21 - 28 draw and 30-50# in draw weight. Draw length is adjustable using an allen wrench with no need to relax the bow. The Parker Buckshot is designed to grow with the youth, you can upgrade limbs for $50 or so until they need an 'adult' model.

Here's Alpine's 'spec sheet' for their bows.

22-Jun-10
My daughter has a Mission Menace, I don't see how you could get a better bow for a kid thats growing. It is adjustable every way possible. 17"-30" draw length! 30-53 lb draw weight! Its lite, fast when turned up and gentle draw cycle, what's not to like??? If you have any questions PM me, Mike

22-Jun-10
I've never tinkered with a Mission before, but I have researched some youth bows. If I was in the market for one, I think the MISSION would be my first choice.

22-Jun-10

Lad's embedded Photo
Lad's embedded Photo
My son(10yo) has been shooting for several years now. This past season we purchaced the Hoyt Kobalt. I was excited because it was the only youth bow that would fit his size and had a great cam design. I guess you could say that it has an adult cam.

Its draw length is 21 1/2" This past hunting season we set the poundage at 36 pounds and he is shooting light speed 500 arrow with a 100 grain broadhead. Arrow speed is 209 fps. It has been a great bow for him and he was able to harvest several animals. Most animals he shot had a complete pass thru.

Good luck

22-Jun-10
I just got a couple razor edge for kids to shoot at my lodge.It is really easy to make adjustments from one shooter to the next.And all the kids loved it and shot very well.They were all beginners and were hitting targets out to 20yds in 1/2 hour consistantly.Bass pro has good deals on the package.

22-Jun-10

Lad's embedded Photo
Lad's embedded Photo
Here a photo of his best deer. This deer weight about 170 pounds. The arrow penetrated up to the vanes.

22-Jun-10
I just got a couple razor edge for kids to shoot at my lodge.It is really easy to make adjustments from one shooter to the next.And all the kids loved it and shot very well.They were all beginners and were hitting targets out to 20yds in 1/2 hour consistantly.Bass pro has good deals on the package.

22-Jun-10
HOYT!!!!

22-Jun-10
+1 for the Razor Edge. Perfect youth bow IMO.

22-Jun-10
The Parker Sidekick is more bow for the money than the Razors Edge for 2010. Look them both up and compare, and you will see that I am telling the truth.

The Mission Menace is really nothing more than a glorified Genesis. Same stamped riser, same plastic parts, ect... a decent bow for beginners, but not in the same league as some of the other youth bows out there.

23-Jun-10
His he left handed

23-Jun-10
PSE chaos, best in my opinion.

23-Jun-10
Great info guy's thanks.... I shoot a longbow so I am at a real disadvantage knowing how to adjust and set the compound up.. We purchased the diamond razor edge for mom last season and she loves it... We bought it a cabelas and had them set it up.

Wasn't sure if the razor would be too much bow for my son.

He is right handed...

Kade, and mom with the compound won't be long for dad either....lol

17-Sep-10
hey guys new to site new to bow hunting, ive hunted riffle for all my life just got tired of using the gun. just not enough challenge. My budget was limited but i bought a bowtech soldier, and i love it. keep in mind im 5'11 200 pound man but i really wanted a short bow and i found it. it might not be the fastest but it is really a great bow for all

18-Sep-10

LongbowBob's embedded Photo
LongbowBob's embedded Photo
My son, 12 at the time, took his Diamond Razor Edge to Africa and cleaned up on 3 animals. It is an amazing little bow, especially for the $200 it cost.

LBB

18-Sep-10
You won't beat a hoyt if money is not an issue

18-Sep-10
Take a look at the Bear young gun II. 14-27" 20-50 pounds. String suppressors and a low brace height for more power.

19-Sep-10
Son 5th grade and Daughter 7th both got Mission Menace bows last year. Will last them till they can buy their own!

19-Sep-10
Bear Young Gun or Apprentice

My 9 yr old daughter loves her young gun. Super adjustable. I think it goes from 14-29 and from 20-45or 50 lbs

Let me know if you have any questions or want photos.

Good luck and have fun making memories. You may want to take him to an archery proshop and let him shoot some different bows.

20-Sep-10
I'll second the PSE Chaos. After shooting several bows it is the one the worked and fit best for my 11 yoa.

• Sitka Gear