BigWave 26-Jun-11
Highway Star 26-Jun-11
Scrappy 27-Jun-11
Deerslayer 27-Jun-11
CritterGetter 27-Jun-11
flinger 27-Jun-11
TD 28-Jun-11
18-Jun-11
I figured id give myself a little gift for my first fathers day and quit dipping. oh this is going to get interesting... anyone have any tips lol?

18-Jun-11
I've been off Redman Gold for 3 weeks. It's getting alittle easier, but I have to keep a straw,gum, or tooth pick in my mouth. Good luck.

Gabe

18-Jun-11
I quit Copenhagen after 15 years cold turkey 5 years ago. Brace yourself it is not an easy thing to quit but you can do it. I still think about it every day. One thing that helped me was I ate pepperocini often... Tasted a little like Copenhagen. Good luck!

18-Jun-11
Matter O' Factly, just quit for 2 weeks a month ago. Skoal Key was discontinued 4/30 and I couldn't get it anymore. Jolly Ranches/Gum/Coffee were the ticket. However I recently found out Casey's warehouse has some so I started again.....good luck!

18-Jun-11
I'm workin' on it...quit smoking cold turkey 3 years ago, chewing is proving to be a bit tougher to quit!

18-Jun-11
I also would love to quit, having a hard time with it

18-Jun-11
Great job, I did a long time ago also, one of my friends just had a tumor removed from his colon and is going through chemotherapy. Not sure if it's from chewing but he was into it heavy, and he's only about thirty years old.

James.

18-Jun-11
I have been an on and off user...I find that it is more of a physical habit (alot of professionals say that too) that you associate certain activities with a chew. For me, it was/is fishing, driving long distances, and after hunts. Best of luck....won't be easy, but better for you in the long run I am sure.

18-Jun-11
It's all about willpower and determination. In the end you gotta want to do it - because it will be something you will have to deal with for the rest of your life.

I had dipped copenhagen for 23 years - pretty much had a dip in all hours of the day. Thanksgiving 2002 I quit cold turkey. Figured that I wanted to be around and see my kids grow up.

Sunflower seeds worked great for me, but its just a crutch. What happens when you run out of sunflower seeds and all your buddies are dipping??? The biggest thing to remember is "It's just one Dip" leads to another and another and well - thats not quiting.

If you really want to test your desire to quit, try this. Buy your last can of dip - leave it unopened - tape a picture of your wife and kids on the lid and carry that can with you everywhere. If you can get through a week without opening that can and having a dip, then you have a great chance of being able to quit and stay quit when everyone around you is dipping.

Good luck and be strong, It's not easy, but in the end you will thank yourself.

18-Jun-11
I still dip my arrows.

19-Jun-11
I seriously thought this was a thread about hydrograhics...

19-Jun-11
I quit dipping in 1998 and have been clean ever since. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. I was one of those guys who had a dip in from the time they got up to the time I went to bed.

Nicorette gum helped me get over the nicotine addiction.

The number one thing is determination. If your going to quit then it has to be for you and you alone. If you really want to do it then just ride out the storm and you'll be OK.

Hang in there!

19-Jun-11
good for you. i am sure everyone around you will greatly apprecaite it.

19-Jun-11
Tell everyone you know that you're quitting.

When your willpower is low, others can "supplement", i.e. nag.

19-Jun-11
I used smoky mountain to quit. Use to have one in all the time now hardly ever. 1 can last me 6mons now. Smoky mountain is a non nicotine chew.

19-Jun-11
Nobody likes a "Quitter"!! Just kidding. I am jealous! I quit smoking a long time ago, but continued to chew. I have had a much harder time giving up the Grizzly. Best of luck to you!

19-Jun-11
I didn't know what "dipping" was till I read this thread! I've always called it "chewing s##t". Good luck with getting those circles off the back of your jeans.

19-Jun-11
I understand how hard this is but please do it and make it last! Very difficult addiction indeed! One day at a time! C

19-Jun-11
its going surprisingly great so far lol. been like 26 hrs haha... havent even been grumpy or anything.

its been an everyday thing for 12 years. i may have to stop and get me some smokey mtn snuff for the habit part. i think driving is going to be the hardest.

19-Jun-11
Day 26 with no Copenhagen after 10 years for me.

I was once told by an MD that it takes on average 6-7 times of truly trying to quit to effectively do it. This was my 5th time of giving it a hard try. I have a one year old daughter and wanting to be around and have my whole jaw finally got to me for some reason. I've tried a lot of things in the past including seeds and trying to wean myself down using Smoky Mtn and mixing it in with cope but nothing every lasted for more than a couple days.

I decided to try a patch this time and chew about 1/4 can of Smoky Mountain wintergreen on its own and it has worked for me.

My fil chews cope and last weekend played golf with him and it wasn't difficult at all. Keep trying, as much as I absolutely love Copenhagen, I like not using it much better. I doubt the urge will go away completely but I'm thoroughly enjoying not doing it anymore. Heartburn has been cut down dramatically also....

Good luck

19-Jun-11
i have to keep dipping.......without that bump in my lip, my anchor point will be off. any suggestions?

19-Jun-11
I've been off of it for 5 years after 39 years of dipping. First week I tried the patch and realized it was just going to prolong the misery. I got some Smokey Mountain Chew and toughed it out. The first month was really bad. It slowly gets better but I still want the stuff.

Good luck. It will ruin your mouth. I know. The dentist loved me.

19-Jun-11
Good job! I quit this past January after 24 years of diddling off and on. Hopefully this time for good. It's tough, but it's a good test of your will power.

19-Jun-11
I quit 17 years ago this week. I used ground up beef jerky called jerky stuff for the first month, Helped alot. I've said many times if I knew I would die at a certain time and date no matter what I did, I would start tomorrow again.

Randy

19-Jun-11
no tips on stopping but a tip on the future after you quit. I am a dentist and I can not number the men that I have seen that had quit and been successful for months and years that bummed the innocent dip from their partner and started all over again as if they had never quit. It is not something to play with once you quit. Do not be tempted and a kind word of advise to those that have friends who have quit or are trying to quit, do not let your friends have a dip unless you wish them ill. dh

19-Jun-11
Try asking God for help with this. Sounds crazy but it worked for me.

19-Jun-11
I'm going with hypnosis on the 22nd of this month, i'll post if it works.

19-Jun-11
WOW, you guys are rednecks and this thread has no business being on bowsite!

19-Jun-11
who pulled your string there "grizzlyadam"? i know i didnt...

thats another thing i dont understand... why do people get on threads and post stuff that has nothing to do with anything the OP mentioned?

OHHH, and thanks everyone for the helpful posts!

19-Jun-11
I quit cold turkey May 31, 2007 after 35 years of chewing Copenhagen. I had a chew in mouth 24/7. I never spit. Yep, took a fresh dip to go to sleep on. My doctor told me I would be over the nicotine addiction in 3 weeks but I would never get over the physical addiction. Thus far I would agree with him. It is hard to stop. Don't stop trying.

19-Jun-11
Proud of you CC! One day down. If you can go 26 hours you can make it. Don't give in.

19-Jun-11
I miss my Red Man (quit to get cheaper life insurance).

20-Jun-11
It's really tough trying to quit, I started back in high school 35 years ago and remember sitting in class with a dip and a .25 cent can of Copenhagen in my shirt pocket,this was in a rural school here in Montana and the school teacher even dipped in class! Those days are long gone but the habit is still with me...I could'nt tell you how many times I've tried to quit the stuff. My wife hounds me all the time about quitting and now my oldest daughter has jumped on the band wagon! I just recieved a call from my daughter wishing me a happy fathers day and the main topic was her insisting that I quit. It's the hardest thing you'll ever try to do and got to say that just before I sat down here I put a dip in.

I've made a pact with myself that on my birthday which is July 7th I'm going to quit period. Just cold turkey and hopefully do it. If I tell myself that it might give me a couple of more years to enjoy family and bowhunting that is all the incentive I should need!

Good luck to all of you trying to quit!

20-Jun-11
When my Dad first caught me chewing his only statement was "if you're man enough to chew you're man enough to swallow" Haven't spit in over 35 years of copenhagen. I'll never understand people who spit the good stuff out, I don't chew my food and spit it out so why do it with my copenhagen? Are they only pretending to chew to try to look tough?

20-Jun-11
You can give Commit lozenges a try. They worked for me... just follow the directions exactly. You can put one in your lip like a dip and it will last quite a while.

20-Jun-11
I'll admit that I still get the occassional craving for a dip. One thing that has always motivated me to stay straight is that I would have waisted all that time between when I quit and fell off the wagon. Quiting is hard, but if you want it bad enough you'll make it.

Prior to quitting I was getting to the point that my inside lip would be sore and in the morning I'd scrape dead skin out of it. My breath was horrible and my gums would occasionally ache too. I remember watching TV at 0100 and heading to the local 7 Eleven, during a thunderstorm, in a bad part of town, to buy a $5 can of dried up Copehagen to help curb my desire. Shoot,,,, one time I dropped a spit bottle from my tree stand and it cost me a 140 inch buck!

When I quit I was amazed at all the excuses I had for dipping. I couldn't drive to work with out one in. I couldn't do the dishes, take a shower, watch TV, or even take a dump with out having one in. I could kiss my wife and drink with a dip, but never did quite master eating with one or sleeping with one in.

The first thing I noticed when I quit was that I always had money in my pocket. It wasn't a lot of $$$, but it was enough to notice. I think I spent about $15-$20 a week on snuff. It took some time for my gums and lip to heal, but they eventually returned to normal.

The first three days were the worse. Man if it wasn't for the gum I'm sure I would have fallen. After that it was the thrid week and then the third month that sucked. I'm not sure why, but that's just how it happened.

Hang in there!

20-Jun-11
Well, I'm still goin strong! It's been a lot easier than I thought. Not easy, but I was pretty sure It was going to be impossible. Thanks for the words of encouragement! It's not over yet tho. :).

20-Jun-11
I quit cold turkey in '95 and have been clean since. There are 2 aspects to quitting, the physical withdrawl from nicotine and the psychological habit of dipping. I tried weening off with gum, patches, hard candy, etc., but finally just had to 'do it' cold to actually quit.

Nicotine will be in your system and affecting your dopamine levels for 3-6 days, depending on how much and how long you dipped. This is the physical craving stage. You can lessen it somewhat with Vitamin C and lots of water. An over the counter supplement that can help is 5HTP. It seems to help with dopamine support.

The psychological habit is as tough to kick than the physical, if not harder. My wife tells me that she can tell when I am stressed as I will roll my tongue between my lip and teeth as if arraigning a dip. To this day if I am at a bar with a beer I want a dip. And if I smell Copenhagen (and I can smell a fresh can across a smokey room with a dead skunk) I so want some. I just choose not to do it.

Be prepared for some weight gain and start fighting it now. Nicotine is a stimulant and speeds up the metabolism. With it gone your metabolism will want to slow as well, meaning you will burn less calories. You will need more exercise or to eat less or both.

You can do this, you just have to want it. Keep us updated, we are cheering for ya.

~Troy

20-Jun-11
I was never a dipper but quit smoking after 25+ years. If you made up your mind that your not a tobacco user ANY MORE it makes it a little easier. In other words are you trying to quit or did you quit? If you quit then dipping is no longer an option is it!

20-Jun-11

elkmtngear's Link
I quit 15 years ago, I just decided enough is enough, and I wasn't going to let that little can have control over my actions.

It is the best Father's Day gift you can give yourself, and your kids!

Best of Luck, Jeff

20-Jun-11
My last chew was Nov. 16 last fall. Hoping I can keep holding off. Getting through fishing season will be tough.

20-Jun-11
im trying to quit smoking and its hard man .I wish the best to ya. my best advice is find something to keep mind and body busy.work or play so hard when 8 pm rolls around youll be passed out.

20-Jun-11
http://forum.qssn.org/

That website helped me out a bunch. Just reading and a daily re-enforcement that the only thing nicotine does is keep you addicted to nicotine. One day at a time. Smokey Mtn helps a bunch for the first year or so. I laughed one day when buying Smokey Mtn and it was more $ than Copenhagen.

The only way to quit is cold turkey as far as I am concerned. Nicotine will lie to you with that “just a little bit” sucker punch. Once you quit and read enough, you will realize you are really no different than any other addicted person and you can “Never, ever have nicotine again”.

The first month I thought I would die, 6 months later it still sucked. At some point since July 22, 2006 it has become a non-issue and I rarely think of it anymore. You will almost certainly gain weight so you are better off to start exercising as well.

After you get away from Copenhagen you feel like such an a$$ for doing for so long. SO STUPID!!!

Copenhagen free since July 22, 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20-Jun-11
I forgot to mention the #1 best thing for me about quitting.

Sleep. It is amazing how fast I can fall asleep now and stay asleep all night. I was always the last person to fall asleep, now I can beat all the snorers!!!!!!!!!

20-Jun-11
Did you guys find that spitting out of a stand while dipping bothered the deer? My buddies would do it and it drove me crazy thinking the deer would be spooked. I dont think it bothers the deer that much. Just wonderin.

20-Jun-11
I have been chewing Skoal Straight for along time. I have also quit a few times, but finally quit quitting. Now I am back on the quit wagon, so have been weaning myself by mixing two cans of Smokey Mt. with one can of Skoal. I am on my last two cans of mixed then will switch to straight herbal. There is a new company (at least for me) called the Oregon Mint Snuff Co. It is a herbal chew that is made with Mint leaves. I have been adding a little cayene pepper to give it that burn (which those who chew understand). I bought 10 cans of it and hope that will alleviate the urge. BTW...here in Canada a can of Cope or Skoal is $23 a can. Good luck!

20-Jun-11
I was in the sixth grade when I had my first dip of Hawken....Man that stuff is crap....I started dippin Skoal daily when I was about 13. Used Levi G and Redman a lot when baling hay too. I'm 41 now.

Switched to Cope when I entered the Marine Corps at 18, and continued that for years, ended up on Red Seal a few years ago because it was a cheap version of Cope, which got way out of hand on price. Most recently I switched to Skoal pouches.

I quit for about 30 days right before the ground assaults began in '91 over in Kuwait, but started right back up when they did.

I tried to quit a couple years ago cold turkey again. Went about three days and went nuts on some a**hole in an interview room at the PD. Didn't hit him, just yelled a lot and loudly. He had it coming believe me.

Finally, 12/1/10 was my youngest daughter's 10th b-day. I decided that was the mark, and I've been tobacco free since then. I think about it often, but I think this time my will is strong enough to leave it be. I've had no "episodes", but I have put on a little weight.

I started using sunflower seeds, but that didn't last. I tried some pouches from the Oregon Mint Tobacco Company. They have a couple different flavors, and they helped quite a bit in the beginning. Now, no crutch at all.

I've found it's like any other addiction. You can't kick it until you decide you are really ready to do it. Good luck, if you're ready, you'll succeed.

20-Jun-11
I got 11years in.Gobstopper jaw breakers helped me.Goood Luck.

20-Jun-11
loesshillsarcher. real men dont spit.lol

21-Jun-11
never ever had a deer bothered by spitting out of my stand, or taking a leak out of the stand either. of course its only been 33 years that i've been doing both, so i should give it some more time to be sure. more deer came in and dug at both wet spots that i can count, and 100s more would have taken an arrow if i hadn't passed on them do to the entertainment factor.

21-Jun-11
I am thinking about starting to chew, only because I love the spit bottles sitting around everywhere! :)

21-Jun-11
7 years ago, while sitting in a canoe fishing, a good doctor buddy of mine explained the likelihood of surviving any sort of mouth/throat cancer to me. Dumped the contents of the can I had into the water and never looked back. Found I ate a lot of sunflower seeds for a period of time, but never felt stressed out.

21-Jun-11
Aug 8 1995, I quit. As you can tell by the fact that I remember the exact month and day actually 16 years later, it is hard to quit. But when you know its time you will have the strength to quit. In my case I bought 4 cans of the fake crap and told myself at the end of the 4 cans I was done for good. It worked for me.

PS I tried it again in the summer of 2000 while fishing with a buddy. I got so light headed, I almost pucked. Never have had the urge since.

Good luck.

21-Jun-11
I quit smoking many times, but the only time it actually worked (going on 4 years now) was when I convinced myself that:

1) I am a "tobaccaholic" and have an unhealthy addiction.

2) I can NEVER use any type of tobacco EVER AGAIN. No matter how many years go by, no matter how well I "know" I've kicked the habit, and no matter how many beers I've had at the bar - if I ever use any tobacco ever again, I will fail.

I know this sounds lame, but simple logic dictates that the easiest way to stay quit, is to simply never pick up tobacco again. Every time you consider it, you're failing.

You can do it. Feel free to reach out to any one of us quitters and we'll be happy to support and talk you through it.

Good luck.

22-Jun-11
I quit smoking when I was about 27 and went from chewing a little to being a constant user. My favorite was Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen, but I would use others occasionally. I was driving down the road after a project in Colorado, and I just decided to quit. That was 1995. I know that if I was to smoke a cigarette or chew once, I'd be addicted again. For a couple of years after quitting, I would get really bad cravings, and the way I would handle it was to get a cheap cigar and take a few deep inhales off it.

23-Jun-11
I stopped chewing about four months ago and was doing pretty good until I read this thread. Now I'm thinking about it so its a good thing I'm at work or I might just go buy a pack. Something about that 20+ hour drive to Colorado in Sept to elk hunt that gets me started again every year for a few months. Maybe I'll make it this year, but not counting on it, especially when my partner will be sitting there next to me with a big ol chew. Hope you do better.

23-Jun-11
Good luck. Wish I could as well. About to turn the big 3-0, and been chewing Skoal Straight for 15 years, if that tells you how big of a red neck I am.

I've quit once for almost 2 years, but not really, I still smoked cigars almost daily, and I missed it every single day. I wasn't quitting for me that time, so I resented it. I've quit chewing on extended overseas trips during school, but I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day to replace, so again, it doesn't count

I've told my wife and parents that I have to want to quit for myself, and when that day comes I will. However, it's dang hard.

I tried to slow down a couple months ago, but then work stress would hit, and the dip would go in.

When I did quit for that 2 year period, I missed the physical aspect of it. I had cravings, but mostly I missed the physical act.

Now you guys are making me want to quit again. If I could just get down to 2 or 3 small dips a day I would be happy. That would be a good start

Bake

26-Jun-11
For all of you who have quit, you'll miss out on meeting all those cute cancer care nurses. It is job security for them for you to keep chewing. There is not much worse than mouth cancer. for those of you that haven't quit yet. You will someday, it just won't feel as good as those that quit now. smoking and chewing provides such great job security for us health care providers.

26-Jun-11
I had my last chew this last Monday. Started in high school in 1982. Its a little tough so far, but I'm tougher. Good luck!

26-Jun-11
Quit smoking 12-14-99 after about 25 years. Very hard, I admire anyone that can quit a bad habit.

Good luck, you can do it if you really want to.

Everyone that quits tobacco will be glad they did.

Scott

27-Jun-11
Quit copenhagen about three years ago when the gov added more sales tax. The same day I quit I sat down and added up the cost per month I was spending on cope and started a new saving account that became my hunting account. Now I never have to worry about money during deer season.

27-Jun-11
I quit twice, for 2 years both times! Once you do kick the habit, don't ever use again. If you think you can just do it once in a while, or just for this trip, or whatever, you'll get hooked again.

27-Jun-11
Im still going good. Still moody at times haha, but havent had a dip since the 18th! I ordered some "hooch" tobacco free herbal snuff and i like it, it suffices for the times when i feel like i need a dip. I.E. driving, shooting, working, on here, etc etc. :) Although, i still want copenhagen... BUTTT im not going to give in! Thanks for all the support and if i can do it, ANYONE can! Good luck to all of you that are quitting or have quit!

27-Jun-11
I WOULD LOVE TO QUIT SMOKING, AT EIGHT BUCKS A PACK I AM GOING TO TRY THIS TIME. I DID FOR A MONTH WHILE IN THE HOSPITAL, BUT RIGHT BACK TO IT AGAIN. GOOD LUCK TO ALL

28-Jun-11
Copenhagen since I was 12 or 13. Mostly something to do, couldn't smoke on the tractors and in the fields. At our high school it seemed most everybody had a ring worn in the back pocket of their jeans. Many of us, me included had a small dip in even during class. Had to swallow.

At one point the school even started cracking down on dipping and busting folks with a circle in their pocket. A bunch of us got together and found a bunch of cardboard tubes about the right size, cut them in the right size sections and distributed them all through the school for everyone to put in their pockets. Resulted in a very upset bunch of self righteous party poopers for sure.....

At one point it was nothing to fall asleep with one. Stained a pillow or two but not as much as you'd think. Mornings were a little rough for a while though....

Dentist took his cut from the chewing, but I had a bad coke habit too. Switched to pepsi later on but didn't help much.

Quit when I was 40, over 15 years now. It was a good move. 100%

The keys for me were gum and toothpicks. Anything to keep your mouth busy. IMO it's more a mental habit than physical.

I do however love a good cigar. Good cigars, there is a huge differnce. And there was about 5 years gap there when I'd quit dipping and took up cigars, so it wasn't transferring one tobacco system for another.

I'll enjoy anywhere from one up to even 3 a week, but it's nothing to go a week or 10 days several times a year without one, so I'm not sure about it being a "habit" so to speak. More of an affinity, like chocolate or sweets.

Oh well. Gotta die of something, nobody lives forever. A life without living to it's fullest is just passing time away. If you're giving up what you truly enjoy to get to tick more seconds off a clock, timing it to a rocking chair? Gets to that point I gotta tell ya, there's not much hunting left anyway.....

"I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive Lab tests, he said I was doing "fairly well" for my age. I just turned fifty seven.

Concerned about the comment, I asked, "Do you think I'll live to be 80?"

He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?"

"Oh no," I replied. "I'm not doing drugs, either!"

Then he asked, "Do you eat a lot of rib eye steaks or barbecued ribs?"

I said, "Not much. My other doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!"

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?"

"No, I don't," I said.

He asked, "Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?"

"No," I said.

He looked at me and said, "Then, why do you even give a rip?"

• Sitka Gear