Bowsite.com Logo

2012 Wolf Hunt/Trapline Trips

By: Goat Guide
Posted: 29-Dec-11

Goat Guide's embedded Photo

We are getting a late start this year with the first clients starting Jan 10. So far we have set out about 15 thousand pounds of bait and lots of wolves have already started coming in to the stations but no snares have been hung yet. It will be busy for Lloyd, he called me saying that he has been watching wolves feeding on bait out the Lodge window and he will be alone for the month of Jan while me and my wife do hunting shows. We have seen lots of lynx sign also while pre-baiting the wolf stations. Here is a picture of my oldest son with one of many truckloads of bait. Jack

By: Shiras@home

Can't wait!

My kids, Chris, Grant, and Robin bringing bait into a wolf snare station. Jack

This is in the middle of the snare station. In the trees around the bait there will be around 40 snares hung next week before the first clients arrive. It really sucks that I will be gone when they check the traps for the first time, it's a lot of fun. Jack

Here we are prebaiting a spot where we will be hunting wolves from a outpost cabin in the background. The bait is put on the lake about 200 yards out for the shot. Jack

By: expeditiontraders
Posted: 30-Dec-11

I have been waiting for this thread door a year. Thank you for doing this. I will be following along vicariously.

By: buckykm1

Kill them all.

Kevin

By: Carcajou

Fantastic! cant wait for the pics and stories! Great kids there, helping you out; most kids are playing video games, haha

By: brettpsu

In 2011 this was my favorite thread. Can't wait to follow along again in 2012.

By: Highway Star

Good luck this year, I am anxious to follow along.

By: TrophyHunter

Good luck, hope you get plenty of wolves

By: diesel

Every day this thread is like Christmas morning logging on to see what we got. Good Luck

By: ridgerunnerron

What's the going $ rate for a trip like this?

I got time offf from work in Mid Jan. :)

Anxious to folow this thread again this year! This should be in a Predator Forum if we had one instead of the Bunny Forum. :)

By: jerseyjohn

This is the best thread during the long winter months,keeps ya wanting more. Just great! Yes, a predator forum would be great too! Thx, Jack and Lloyd! JJ

By: agassiz ace

When i was young and was trapping, each morning i would rise with great excitement to see my catch. I can hear great excitement in your voice. You are still young at heart! Good Luck!

By: Brotsky

Awesome! Thanks so much for doing this again Jack! I know a lot of us really enjoy following along on the trap line, it's almost like we're catching them right along with you! Best of luck to you and your first clients!

By: breves

Best Thread ever!!! Can't wait to see the pics this year!!!

Happy Hunting!!!!

Bruce

By: Steve H.

Was just wondering about the 2012 edition last night and here it is!

By: Medicinemann

Jack,

As you know, I am really interested in taking a wolf with my bow. I would gladly sit in a tree stand overnight, but I realize that I have to be "guided", so that probably won't work.

If we set some bait near one of your more remote cabins, what are the chances that we could get a shot before dark? My sight pins stay light well after sunset, and I would be comfortable shooting at reasonably long ranges for a bowhunter. What do you think the chances are that we could draw a wolf to the bait during daylight hours....and what is the closest that you have ever set bait near a cabin?

Would the wolves only come to the bait in the middle of the night because of our lingering scent? Do you have a better method in mind where an archer might be able to kill a wolf?

By: aspen bulls

Loved this thread this year and I look forward to it this coming year! That would be awesome Jake, I'd love to try it also.

By: Mark Watkins

Jack, looking forward to the play by play again this year....an awesome thread!

By: Rob Nye

Rob Nye's embedded Photo

I'll be watching. Good luck!

The going rate for these trips are $5700 1on1 or $4320 2on1 Canadian Funds for six days. Tags and licences are extra. Like all of our hunts, clients arrive the day before the hunt and leave the day after. Airport pickup and drop-off to Smithers BC is included. Taking a wolf with a bow will be a huge challenge and we will certainly need to adapt. Probably an enclosed tree blind and few thousand pounds of bait at about 50 yards. For me to say what our chances are is hard to say, 50/50, either we get them or we don't. I guess that is just a smart ass way of saying that it could be one of the hardest animals to be targeting with a bow. So much of their activity is done at night and almost anything can spook them, making it harder to get them in bow range. With that being said me and Lloyd are very keen on trying and believe that after following the threads on bowsite a guy like Jake is what is needed to make it happen. At times wolves have come very close to our outpost cabins with the bait set at 200 yards. Of course this only happens when we are not there, because the shooting starts before that can happen. If we prebaited at 60 yards at these outpost cabins I believe they would become regular customers. But there are times that a regular visit may be a week apart due to the wolves travelling their territory. If we do 50% success with rifle hunters shooting a wolf that is good. Most are snared. Jack

By: MaBow
Posted: 31-Dec-11

Can't wait for the trapline to get started. When I was goat hunting with Jack this year he brought me to many of the places they will be hunting.

By: Babine Guide
Posted: 01-Jan-12

Babine Guide's embedded Photo

Happy New Years Bowsiters. It 9:30 in the morning on New Years morning and I'm watching a wolf from the lodge right now. I ranged it at 630 yards away. You can see it in the background to the left of my son. There is a coyote on the right in the distance too. The fish is going to be our breakfast. Lloyd

Posted: 02-Jan-12

On my way to the Dallas Safari Club Show, Booth #432. Hope we see some of you there. Jack

By: BOWNBIRDHNTR
Posted: 03-Jan-12

This is absolutely awesome. My son and I just pulled the majority of our traps January 1st and now I get to keep checking traps every morning. I can't wait and thank you for doing this again!

By the way, I can honestly say the number one thing that inspired me to run a trapline this year with my son was the 2011 Trapline Thread. We had a blast, caught some neat critters and best of all I got to spend every morning with my 17 year old son. We will be back at it again next fall!

Thanks again, Jeff

Posted: 03-Jan-12

Here we go!!!

By: Mad Trapper
Posted: 04-Jan-12

I am ready!

The best thread of 2011 in my opinion and probally will be of 2012! JJ

jerseyjohn's embedded Photo

My BC wolf skull done by Lloyd from Babine Guide Outfitters. Great job Lloyd!!!!!!!!!!! JJ

jerseyjohn's embedded Photo

Opposite view of skull. JJ

By: ORARCHER

COOL !!!!! Cant wait !! REALLY looking forward to Jake going after one or two.

Posted: 06-Jan-12

I started setting out the trapline today for the trip starting Tuesday. It'll take 5 days to get it all set out and during the trips we'll keep setting out more. Today I set out 45 wolf snares, 11 marten boxes, 2 lynx sets, 5 wolverine sets, and about 600 pounds more bait. Tomorrow I'll set out about 60 wolf snares, 2 lynx sets, a few more marten boxes and about 600 pounds of bait. It had snow quite a bit in the last week so I didn't see a lot of tracks but all the bait that we had set out in the past couple weeks was eaten up. Lloyd

Now it's going to get interesting.....

By: outland outfitt

Awesome thread. Ill be watching this thread for updates

Posted: 08-Jan-12

The clients arrive tomorrow and everything is ready for them. I'm hoping that they arrive early enough to go check a couple snare stations. The picture is of a lynx set, the bait is a road kill snowshoe hare.

those are all wolf tracks on the ice in front of one of my snare stations. There's a coyote in the distance that watched me for two hours setting snares.

By: hunterx

Looks like there are plenty of wolves again this year. Just curious but how high do you set your lynx snares? It might be the angle but the one in the pen seems higher than i usually set. I usually look for a loop aobut 11 inches with the bottom 11 or 12 inches off the ground.

setting a wolf leghold

after it's covered up

By: Rob in VT

I loved the updates on this last year. Can't wait to read what happens this year!

By: Rob in VT

I loved the updates on this last year. Can't wait to read what happens this year!

Wish I was there living this! Every morning is just like Christmas morning! Best thread, Keep up the updates!

hunterx: It might be the angle, but I normally use about a 10 inch loop for lynx and have the bottom about 12 inch from the ground. I find the most important thing is to have a stick over the top of the snare to make it drop it's head down into the snare and have a small stick (chinlift) at the bottom of so it don't drop it's head too far.

By: keep

Jack mentioned last night that you guys were set up and the hunters came in couple days. Good Luck Lloyd. Jack and Crystal are toughing it out down here too at the Dallas Safari Club show. We had a cold front blow in and it dropped the temps pretty low, I'll bet we'll be down to the mid 40*F (6*C) tomorrow.lol

Posted: 09-Jan-12

Now that is funny Jim! Mid 40's!!!!!!!!!! Yep bet Jack may freeze in that temp. Hahahaha.....JJ

Posted: 10-Jan-12

Conrad and Lee arrived today. We picked up some bait and had enough time to check a couple wolf stations. I thought for sure that there would be a couple dogs hanging but not today. There was a wolverine though and there is at least one more running around the station. A good start.

By: BULELK1

This is great (again this year) reading.

Good luck, Robb

So the saga has begun!!!!!!!!! Great! JJ

By: Beav

This is going to be fun! Been waiting a while for this.

By: Nick Muche

How awesome is that! A wolverine on day one.

So, does the client get all the fur and able to mount the animals that are caught or is that extra?

By: snapcrackpop

I think he said last year you get to keep one of each, if my memory is correct.

That's right the clients get to keep one of each caught during the trip and 2 wolves. There is a trophy fee for extra's if they want to keep them.

Today we spent most of the day resetting snares that were froze up. A couple days ago it was raining and real warm, this morning it was 0 degrees F. We ended up getting 3 marten and a weasel today.

Here's a wolverine set that I'm putting out. I have at least 7 baits that are being hit by wolverines right now.

Here little closer piture

Posted: 11-Jan-12

Looking good so far Jack! Got to love that Klim snowmobiling jacket!

FYI That is Llyod in the picture.

We had a good morning check down the lake getting a wolf and a coyote in a snare station. There were more wolves that went into the station but some of the snares were frozen. In the evening we went out to see if any wolves were hitting the bait at one of our cabins. We set out a couple new lynx sets and tomorrow we're planning to spend the night at the outpost cabin

By: Carcajou
Posted: 12-Jan-12

Fantastic story and Pics, keep em coming!

Talked to Lloyd yesterday and he said that Conrad (left) and Lee (right) in the black wolf, coyote picture are having a good time and will also be joining us on spring black bear hunt this year. The Dallas Safari Club Show went great, the wolf hunt/trapline trips were a big hit with three hunters booking for 2014. Here is my wife Crystal working the booth. We will both be in Washington for a couple more weeks doing shows. If anyone would like a DVD of our last couple seasons guiding/trapping feel free to PM me your mailing address and we will send you some copies with our new brochure FREE!!!! If you you have any interest in this please do not hesitate, it is our pleasure. Jack

Another good day at the snare stations. We got these two in the same station as the one that we got the wolverine in earlier this week.

By: midwest

Wow those things are just huge!

We kept having our bait stolen out of one of our lynx set and we knew it was a marten. We set a trap for it and came back a hour later and got a marten. We checked the same trap just before dark and got a second marten out of it.

Sockeye for dinner that was caught during the Aug. Goat Hunts

By: Huntinguide

great pics keep them coming

Posted: 13-Jan-12

Beautiful Wolves! JJ

By: Sage Buffalo

I love this post.

By: Pardog

My favorite thread!

By: Bou'bound

Best thread on the web. the only improvement would be more updates and mor photos. fantastic in all regards!

By: Lee

hadn't seen this - just noticed it. Really, really, cool! Can't wait to check more.

Keep em coming.

Lee

By: kota-man

This would be a fun week of vacation...

By: trackman

Thank's one of the best threads. I look at it day to day Trackman

By: Pat Lefemine

Enough of the wolves and Ricky Martens. I want to see a photo of Halibut Lasagna!

By: Sage Buffalo

I find it amazing with all the great video cameras and TV we watch that I think this thread might be ruined with viedo.

I enjoy seeing the pics! Sometimes video doesn't tell the story as well as pictures do. Isn't that wierd...

How heavy of cable do you use for snaring wolves? I always used 3/32" 7x7 aircraft cable for coyotes, fox, and coon. I imagine you use something quite a bit heavier.

Posted: 14-Jan-12

We use 3/32 7x7aircraft cable for wolves too. I use about 12 snares. I tried 1/8 cable but found it not to be as effective. Today we didn't have any luck on wolves but we got 2 wolverine and some marten.

That was 12 foot snares. Both the wolverine that we caught today were in ground snares with stinger springs. They were caught at the base of a tree were we had a marten box. Today we seen sign of at least 6 more wolverines hitting our baits.

Wow, thats more wolverine than usual, now if you get a lynx you will have the trapline slam. I sent out all the DVD's requested, anybody else interested be sure to PM me your mailing address. Jack

PM sent. Thanks, Jack!

By: kakiat kid

This is the best thread of the year...PERIOD!!!

By: superslamsam
Posted: 15-Jan-12

PM Sent here too. Thanks.

Posted: 15-Jan-12

Lastnight we stayed in an outpost cabin over bait hoping a wolf would come in. Earlier this season they were hitting this bait hard but haven't come back since this trip has started. I figure they have got their own kill that they are feeding on. I could see a coyote feeding in the middle of the night but it too was gone come daylight. On our way out we seen 2 lynx and Conrad had a tag too but we weren't able to get a shot. We stopped at the snare station where we got the first wolverine and 2 wolves and got another wolf. We missed one wolf too, it pulled snare 3/4 of the waytight but managed to get loose. It looks like about 6 more are in that pack. Tomorrow we're going to check 2 more wolf stations and pick up some more bait in town.

By: HARPERC
Posted: 17-Jan-12

Lloyd, Jack, and everyone hello. Looking forward to seeing you in Spokane. I'm not a bowhunter, just came here through your newsletter, as I like keeping track of how everyone there is doing. Carl

Lloyd, Jack, and everyone hello. Looking forward to seeing you in Spokane. I'm not a bowhunter, just came here through your newsletter, as I like keeping track of how everyone there is doing. Carl

Yesterday we went and collected about 500 pounds of bait and checked a couple snare stations. We got a coyote and a marten. We then went to the taxidermist to see about getting a few animals mounted.

Today is the last day of Conrad and Lee's trip and it started out COLD!!! -40 The day started out with the water and sewer frozen in the lodge. I also had to tarp up the snowmobiles and put a heater under them to get them started. After a few hours of getting everything going we started our day. We quickly forgot how cold it was once we started checking snares. We got a wolf, 2 wolverine a marten and a weasel. We're supose to get about 3 more days of -40 and then warm up a little just in time for the next trip to start.

Here's the first wolverine today, it's a beauty. Has a nice white collar on it's neck, a big diamond on it's back and 2 white front socks. We caught one like it last winter in the same spot.

Posted: 18-Jan-12

here's second wolverine of the day

-40 Now that is cold. I live how the wolverine posed for the picture!

everything was frozen solid. There was no shifting them for a better picture. The guys just left and I pick up Ken Friday and it's supose to warm up Saturday. Good timing. I'm not sure how cold it is this morning because the thermometer is maxed out. I'm guessing -45.

Posted: 19-Jan-12

Wow...that is cold

Posted: 20-Jan-12

Today I set out two new snare stations in an area that I couldn't get too before because the ice wasn't good enough yet. There was a lot more wolf sign there and it should produce during this next trip. Tomorrow I'll go start to set out a new wolverine and marten line. I'll get it about half set out and Ken and I will finish setting it out during his trip. I pick up Ken tomorrow night at the Smithers airport.

By: Follmerpa

Jack I received my DVD, Thank you again for your generosity. I Pray to book a trip on the trapline with you, to me that is truly Heaven on earth.

Thanks again stay warm

paul

I received mine as well. Hope to find some time to watch them this weekend. It is snowing right now though and we have brand new electronic caller at home just waiting to call in some coyotes to my son and I....I'll watch em after the hunt.

Thanks again, Jeff

Posted: 21-Jan-12

Ken made it in lastnight. AirCanada landed eventhough the weather was bad. It looks like the weather is going from cold to snow storms. Hopefully is don't snow too much or the lake will flood.

By: lewis

very interesting.Lewis

By: INbowdude

Thanks Jack, I just received my DVD and I'm getting ready to watch them. Thanks again.

By: city hunter

great work

I got mine in the mail too. Can't wait to watch it. My son and I made their brochure. It is the pic of the two of us with the goat.

By: boothill

I got the DVD's in the mail yesterday. Watched 2009 last night and can't wait to see 2010 and 2011. Excellent

The first day of the trip was a little slow. With all the snow the last couple day it didn't seem like there was much fur moving. All we got was a few marten today. We had to lift the snares all higher and pack in the trails again after the snow. We did get to watch a marten chasing a rabbit today, we watched it for quite a while but we didn't stick around to see the end result. I think the rabbit won this round though. Here's the first animal we got on the trip. A marten with a nice yellow chest and all 4 feet had white toes.

Here's a double header marten that we got at one spot that we stopped at today.

Posted: 22-Jan-12

Having ourselves a pretty morning

not very often you get a marten in a lynx snare

Here's our morning catch: 8 wolves, 1 fox and a marten

Holy cow! Great day!

all loaded up

How do you get the video again?

By: rocky

Unbelievable! I come from a trapping family in Central Ontario, so I watch this thread with great interest. Are there no Fisher, or are they an animal of more southern climes?

By: Earl E. Nove....mber

Absolutely amazing thread.. Wolf hatters got to love ya..

Just out of curiosity,, What's the biggest wolf you have ever gotten.. They look huge to this Nebraska boy.

By: rvrbtmarcher

Wow!

This is the best thread keep it going Trackman

By: Fulldraw1972

Wow 8 wolves. That's awesome.

By: horn gobbler

does the client get to keep all eight of the wolves.

Rocky: there are Fishers around here but not many. There is more a little further South. I think last year we caught 5 and none yet this year. Horn Gobbler: The clients get to keep one of each species caught or shot during the trip and 2 wolves. They can take more by paying a trophy fee for then.

Rocky: there are Fishers around here but not many. There is more a little further South. I think last year we caught 5 and none yet this year. Horn Gobbler: The clients get to keep one of each species caught or shot during the trip and 2 wolves. They can take more by paying a trophy fee for then.

Pat this ones for you. Ken likes the Halibut Lasagna too

Wow!!! Looks like you talked Mom into making Halibut Lasagna. Make sure you save me some for when I get home. Oh yeah, congrats on the wolves, sorry I won't be there to help you skin them. The shows are going great. Hope some of you guys might be able to come and see us in Puyallup, Washington at the sportsmen's show this weekend. Keep the PMs coming with your mailing addresses for the DVDs. Jack

Posted: 24-Jan-12

Those are all fresh wolf tracks from lastnight. Might try to stay at the cabin tomorrow night and shoot one.

Here's a nice coyote caught in a wolf station

We picked up this wolverine at a wolf station today too

Finally got our lynx

By: Ashersdad

Thanks so much for the videos!! So cool! Love this thread!

By: Brotsky

Awesome lynx! I would love to have one of those!

By: Gobblestopper

Wow, great job....best thread going!!

The photo of the lynx didn't do it justice because it froze all bunched up. It was a real big cat though

By: Junglecat

A great thread and I really enjoy looking at all the pictures.Beautiful country and taking part in a trip like this would be a great adventure.

Thats great!! Looks like you guys are have some luck. Even I have been finding out how these guys are doing through this thread. Jack

What caliber rifle do you use when you stay at the cabin to try to shoot a wolf? Also, what is the average shot distance?

Best thread on here...Where can we find info on your operation?

By: Pat Lefemine

I can smell the lasagna through my laptop.

Nice work killing the wolves.

Posted: 25-Jan-12

We stayed at the outpost cabin lastnight. About 30 minutes before we were watching 9 wolves out on the ice 430 yards out from the cabin. 3 of them wondered off and the others stayed there for about an hour and half but never got any closer. It still fun to watch them out there for that long and we'll try to make back there to give it another try. On the way home we got a big fisher in a 330 box at one of our wolf stations. Tipical fisher, had porkypine quils in it.

Posted: 25-Jan-12

Kakiat kid: you can go to our website: www.babineguides.com or call us at 1-250-697-6249 for info. Bownbirdhntr: the client that's here now is using a 300 mag. which is a good one to use. Whatever you feel comfortable using out to 250 yards. We set the bait out at around 225 yards.

Posted: 26-Jan-12

Here is a link to our website, hopefully it works. Nice fisher!!!! Jack

Ok, maybe this one will work.

Here's a better picture of that lynx just before I skinned it.

By: griff.

nice ken. can't wait to get them in my shop. d.g.

Awesome!

By: Newkirk Jerry

What does a Lynx that size weigh? Those paws are huge. Nice one!

Here's another fisher that we got today. I'm guessing a lynx like that is about 35 pounds

Posted: 27-Jan-12

That lynx is beautiful!

By: rocky
Posted: 28-Jan-12

Babine Guide...awesome thread and photos. Amazing that as soon as I asked you about fisher you get a couple. How long does your trapping season last?

By: TD
Posted: 28-Jan-12

I was curious, I know you guys have to take the animals back to the cabin, thaw them out some too for skinning, so you have the carcass there at the cabin.

Do you, or is it possible to "recycle" them for bait? I'm thinking the wolverines probably don't care what the meat used to be, maybe the wolves would?

Thanks, great pics and a great thread. Checking it daily.

Posted: 29-Jan-12

Rocky: our trapping season goes to the end of March but Lynx close on Feb. 15th and marten and wolvine close on Feb. 28th. We normally don't do anymore trips after Feb. 21st. Although we will do wolf only right into March. Next year I might see if someone come at the end who does long range shooting. I'd put the bait out 500 yards or so.

TD: I skin the animals in the shop back at the main lodge. I use all the lynx and beaver carcasses for bait for lynx. All the other carcasses I throw out on the line in a spot I call my bone yard. The marten, wolverines and birds clean them up. I'll put out some traps in the area too. This hunt we caught a fisher and a marten there.

Ken flies out this morning. The last day of the trip we checked a few marten and wolverine sets. We got some more marten and a weasel. We also set out a bunch more bait, set out one more wolverine pole and built another lynx pen. It all should be ready for when Luke gets here Tuesday. Monday I'll pick up another truck load of bait. From what I seen for sign during this last trip I think we should get a couple lynx during this next trip.

The first question people normally ask when I'm talking to them before they arrive for there trip is "Whats kind of weather can we expect?" It's always hard to answer that, 10 days ago when Conrad and Lee left it was -45 and this morning when Ken left it was +38 degrees F. That a 83 degree swing. Kind of cazy, not normal though.

Posted: 31-Jan-12

Keep these photos comming. Just curious..what % of hunters try to take a wolf over bait with a gun? Ever have guys take wolves with a bow?

Today was a good start to the trip. It started off with a wolf in the first snare station the we checked, then a lynx, a marten and this evening another wolf at another wolf station. We also seen 8 wolves out on the ice at the first station that we went to this morning. There was also a pretty big pack that had been at the spot we were at this evening. I'm guessing that there is about 45-50 wolves hitting the bait right now. A little more then normal for this late in the trapping season. Hopefully I can snag another dozen in the next few weeks.

Katiat kid: We haven't had anyone take a wolf with a bow yet. It would take a bowhunter with a lot patients, a lot of luck and one who can shoot long range. This year everyone who's been on these trips have wanted to send more time on the trapline then sitting over bait so we haven't shot any wolves yet. Last year we were about 50% shooting wolves but we spent more time time at the outpost camps over bait. The year before we were 100% shooting but we didn't spend much time at all on the trapline.

Here's the second wolf today

Good show!!! I should be there thursday to help skin so knock a few more down. Jack

Posted: 01-Feb-12

Here's the lynx from today.

So cool!

Keep the storys going and the photos IT TO COOL

By: Z Barebow

I keep checking the trapline every day!

By: PSE Man

best thread in the season, you are in beautiful country.

Thanks...I am seriously looking into doing this next year? I would be flying in from NY...where would I meet you?

By: houndy65
Posted: 02-Feb-12

great job, hopefully we have a wolf trapping season here in montana soon.

Posted: 02-Feb-12

You would fly into Smithers and we pick you up there. It's about a hour drive to our lodge. Yesterday we didn't get a whole lot, a few marten and a coyote. One of the marten was real orange in colour. It had snowed a lot on the line that we checked since I was there last and we had to reset a lot of the sets. We also made a new lynx set in a spot that there was lots of sign.

Posted: 03-Feb-12

Finally get a chance to get back to the lodge after a month of doing shows. I ran into Lloyd and Luke after they checked some traps and they caught 4 marten and 1 weasel. Lloyd said there was lots of wolverine sign so they set some snare poles for them, he thinks they should have one by the end of the trip. I just finished skinning a couple of wolves they caught earlier with one more to go. I am guessing there will be a couple more coming in soon from the activity Lloyd has been seeing. They are hunting at one of our outpost camps and should return tommorow. Jack

The guys had some good luck yesterday and today on the trapline. They caught some more martin, weasel, and a lynx yesterday on there way to the outpost camp. Plus they had 6 wolves on the bait last night but not during legal shooting hours. Jack

Today they caught 2 coyotes

A Fox

and this wolverine with lots of white on it. The guys have gone to another one of our outpost camps in hopes of shooting a wolf in the morning. After scoring on all these animals Luke's goal is to get a black wolf to finish off the trip. Jack

Posted: 05-Feb-12

Here's another wolverine that we got in a snare at a wolf station. It'll make a nice mount with the one we caught the other day. This one is real dark and the other one had a lot of colour in it.

While checking a wolf station today we had a couple wolves on the lake watching us from the other side. The only thing we caught in it was this coyote thou. The one wolf stuck around for some time watching from about 1000 yards away, he was kind of stuck out in the open on the lake with a steep hill and deep snow behind him. Jack

4 days ago Luke and I were at a spot that there was just a ton of lynx sign in an spot where we never had any lynx sets close to. We desided to spend some time to build a pen and try pull a lynx out of this area. Today we got this beauty. It's probably the biggest lynx that I've seen.

We also got a few marten and a weasel this morning. We're going to go check a few wolf snares this afternoon and spend the night at an outpost cabin.

Those paws are massive

Posted: 06-Feb-12

Some very cool animals! Hope Luke gets his wolf as well! Good luck, Jeff

Was that lynx caught in a snare?Great thread Lewis

By: Butts

Great pic's..thanks

By: hunt

Great thread Lloyd

Can you tell me a little about the snow machines you use.

Mark

Posted: 07-Feb-12

We finished up the trip with the wolf that Luke wanted. He's going to have some great animals to mount. Mark: We have 2- 800 4 stroke that are great to pull bait into the stations. They have a 24 inch wide track that works good for breaking trail. We have a 500 wide track and a 550 RMK which are the machines that the clients normally ride. Lewis: The lynx was taken with a snare

Great Job!!!

By: muskeg

How do you market your fur ?

In the private Taxidermy market ... the Toronto Fur Exchange ... Hundson Bay auction ... other fur buyers.

That is a beautiful wolf. What would you say is the average weight of them...what is the biggest of the season so far??

Posted: 08-Feb-12

We market our furs to our clients, taxidermists, and on the North American Fur Auction. The average weight of a wolf is 90-100 pounds. A real big wolf is 115-125 pounds. The biggest so far this year was around 120 pounds.

By: deerslayer
Posted: 08-Feb-12

Man this is awsome! I would love to do this sometime! it never ceases to amaze me how big these wolves are. We need to have you come down here to Montana and take care of business!

Posted: 09-Feb-12

This is an every morning with coffee thread.

Great thread again this year.

Good luck, Robb

By: Hoyt Shooter

If you weren't trapping/shooting these predators, how does the prey population keep up? It just seems you are taking alot out, but if you weren't the prey population would crash. What size area are you covering and do you move to different parts of the area to give some a rest period? The dvd's you sent are great and this thread helps with cabin fever.

Again they keep us all wanting the next picture. Great Thread!!!!!!!!!!! JJ

Jack and Lloyd, thanks a million for another great season! We appreciate you guys taking us along on the posts!

Hoyt Shooter: The area that we trap is in a spread out in about a 2500 square mile area, with big areas that aren't trapped at all. I put out a lot of preseason bait and at the end of the season I put out a bunch of bait. I try to put it in culverts so that the birds and wolves don't eat it. This helps the marten and wolverines from starving during the hard months. By trapping wolves it real helps keep the moose population around here at a steady level. At the end of the season I'll try to get the province wide number of wolves that were trapped. I'm guessing it's be around 500. In the past I've only heard of 2 or 3 trappers a year getting over 20 wolves, but this year I think it'll be about 6 trappers breaking the 20 mark. This should help the prey population province wide. Sorry for the break in checking the line and posting pictures but the next client don't show up till Sunday. I might go check a couple snares before then though. Yesterday there was wolves out on the bait close to the lodge. I tried to sneek down there with my bow but the wind was wrong and the snow was crunchy. My plan was to set up about 200 yards and try to howl one in to me. If they come back and the wind is right then I might try again. I'll bring a rifle too so if I get set up it will be hard not to just grab the rifle and do the sure thing.

Posted: 10-Feb-12

I never seen the wolves back at the bait close to the lodge. Save them for the guy starting Monday. I went and rebaited a sight at one of the cabins and found a couple coyotes hung up at a snare station close to it. Tomorrow I'll go rebait one of other cabins.

Posted: 11-Feb-12

great picture

By: scottrice
Posted: 11-Feb-12

Wow, What an awesome thread!!!!!!!

Posted: 12-Feb-12

Jack, and Lloyd, Pat and I were looking at your pictures remembering Chris only coming up to the bumper of that truck! Wow where's the time go? Kind of reading through this years and last years thread. Seems like you keep baits about 200 yards from the cabins. What I couldn't tell, is that due to shooting conditions and making a comfortable shot, or are the wolves more uncomfortable farther out in the open. You mentioned watching them at 400-450, while not as desirable as a 200 yard shot still achievable with good equipment. Wind is the deal breaker and I've seen the wind howl in the Babine. On balance would you say you'd see more or less wolves with bait out farther? Working the weekend of the Bighorn, can't find a replacement, so I may have to be sick one night. Hope to see you then! Carl

By: INbowdude

Hey Babine, have you ever thought of or used predator calls to bring the wolves in closer? Might be the ticket to get one close enough for a bow shot.

I have thought about using a predator call, I've tried it a little with no luck. I've had the best luck with howling to get them in and just probably never put the time in with the predator calls after failing the first couple times. We have one blind up on a bank off the lake shore that could produce a 50-70 yard shot with this the right bait placement. Over the summer we might have to find another spot like this to put a blind. I do want to put more time in trying to call lynx in with a predator call next year. Next year we're going to offer a lynx hunt with hounds in November. It could be in combo with moose, deer, wolverine and wolf. I've messed around with a friend that has hounds during the last couple years during this time and we've got 4 lynx in 6 days hunting with the hounds.

Carl we'll see you and Pat at the Big Horn Show. Next year I have a client coming who is going to have his rifle set up for 500 yard. Having a 500 yard bait will make shot opportunity alot higher. You would place the close the the shore just farther away so they'd still have the comfort of having the timber close. The rifles now a days are set up for long range shooting. With longer range you can also have a more controlled shot to. Good rest, animals that are more calm and there is normally no wind first thing in the morning. The big thing is to practice at the distance that you're shooting. Most people don't have a spot that they can shoot that far. Both rifles and bows have come a long way over the last 20 years in long range shooting.

By: ACB
Posted: 13-Feb-12

just a thought might b able to build a igloo on lake for a blind to bow hunt out of then start baiting within bow range of the igloo

Posted: 14-Feb-12

The first day of Mikes trip was real good one. It was a long day and we check a lot of sets. We got 3 wolves, 1 coyote, 1 cross fox, 1 lynx and a wolverine.

Ken this is the lynx pen that we built while you were here.

ACB:I have built a half igloo as a blind but have never built a full igloo that you could sleep in. I think it could work, we think that would work best if it was built just inside the tree line on the lake shore.

By: ACB

yes that was i was talking about something you could sleep in would fun to see if that would work

Here are some more pictures from yesterday

The guys taking a coyote out of a snare next to the lake

Lots of moose running around on the lake yesterday too Jack

Nothing too exciting today. It was a nice sunny day, about 25 degrees. It was a great day snowmobiling. We got 8 marten, a weasel and the head of a fox. We got a fox in a lynx set but it got eaten by a wolverine. Tomorrow we're going to pull the rest of the lynx sets and spend the night at one of the outpost camps.

By: primitve
Posted: 15-Feb-12

Nice to see so many dead wolves!

By: mnjen

A question. Are you using mostly snares or actual traps for the wolves?

Secondly, if you had wolves hitting a bait set up for bears how could you snare a wolf and not snare a bear? Any thought?

We get wolves at our bear bait stations in the fall.

I am also wondering how good the wolf coats would be in the fall versus the winter.

If a wolf season is finally allowed here in Wisconsin and I could get a license I would like to try this method. Especially shoot one with a bow if possible.

We didn't end up spending the night at the cabin. Mike has been fighting a cold so we just checked more of the trapline and came back to the lodge. We got the rest of the lynx sets pulled today and got another lynx. We also got a big wolf and 2 more wolverines today.

Posted: 16-Feb-12

mnjen: we get almost all our wolves in snares and shoot some too. I only get 1 or 2 a year in legholds. But I don't put much effort in the leghold compared to the snares. The hides here are getting good by the end of September. I don't think you can set snares when the bears are out without snagging the odd bear. I won't set any snares till all the bears are hidernating. You can put break-a-ways on your snares but a small bear won't break loose.

By: GREG

I love this thread. I don't trap nor do I know anything about trapping but I love seeing all the great pictures and critters that you harvest each winter. Thanks a million.

I'm sure you are familiar with building a quinzee vs an igloo, right?

I've only built one igloo. The snow conditions have to be just right. When we were kids we use to build quinzee's all the time in the snow banks on the sides of the road. I think it would have to be an igloo for a blind.

Guys great thread as always I trapped a little this yr.on our 300 acres in Tn.with mixed results for coyote and bobcats we also now have fishers any pointers would be appreciated.Lewis

Posted: 17-Feb-12

Here's a fox that we got the other day. Lewis: all our fishers are caught in marten or wolverine sets. We don't taraget them.

Posted: 19-Feb-12

All the wolverine, lynx and marten sets are now pulled. The other day when we pulled them we got 2 more marten and a coyote. All that's left set out now are wolf snares, and we'll keep them set out till about the middle of March.

Posted: 20-Feb-12

Lewis, the 2 box sets above are great for catching wolverine, but we also catch fisher, marten, fox, and lynx. Mabe this would work for bobcat while also targeting fisher, bait is very important to, the best bait for lynx is another lynx, mabe it will be the same for bobcat. Lloyd cooked the last lynx for breakfast and it was great. The guys are out trying to get another wolf before Mike flies out tommorrow morning. This thread sure has created a lot of interest and as of now it looks as thou there is only one opening left for next year when all the trapline animals are open (dec 16-21). There is another opening at the end of Feb with lynx being closed. Then March is open with the main animal being wolf. I have been busy in the shop with all the animals being caught, here is the last wolf all skinned and wolverine being thawed out for skinning. Jack

Posted: 21-Feb-12

It should create a lot of interest its been great thanks for taking us along for the ride.Lewis

Did you say the Lynx for breakfast?

By: moosenelson

Love this thread. Great pics and stories. Any chance you could do a step by step on skinning? I was thinking five or six pictures showing the various stages of skinning? Maybe even the same for setting the traps? eg-1.bait-fave type? 2.trap-best size/type. 3.set location-type of habitat? 4.setting trap-why this way?

Your thread has been a great advertising tool and I wish you all the best in your business. I would think that your customers must be very satisfied with the experience due to factors like variety, quantity, novelty and success rate.

Posted: 23-Feb-12

great thread....what is a wolf pelt worth?

Posted: 23-Feb-12

Kakiat kid: we cut the lynx backstraps into chops and fried then up eggs and hashbrowns. Lynx is real good, I normally same the lynx meat if it is a fresh catch. A wolf pelt is worth normally $300-500. This week I checked two wolf stations and got 2 coyotes and a fox. I'll check a couple more this weekend.

Posted: 24-Feb-12

Interesting...I didn't think that cats were all that edible (except at Chinese restaueants. Let me guess....it tastes licken chicken?

Is your season winding down?

By: Brock-ID

This is an awesome thread. I have to check it every day, sometimes twice.

I've tried cougar and it`s good too. Lynx is mild, and you`d never know it was wild meat. Our season is winding down, we only have 6 wolf stations our now. We`ll leave them out for another month.

moosenelson: our most successful wolf snare station over the years has been set up along the lake shore. First we put a big bait, say a road kill moose about 10 yards off the shore, then we have about 40 or so snares on snowshoe trails on the shore within 100 yards of the bait. We like to have a second bait about 50 yards inside the trees and put another 30 or 40 snares on snowshoe trails around that bait. I find that the feel comfortable eating on the bait on the lake start wondering around on the snowshoe trails. They then start going to the second bait inside the trees. We have had a lot of multiple wolf catches in this set. I have a similar style set on a gravel pit that have been real good too.

Here`s alot the shore. So far this year we`ve caught 11 wolves at this set.

Here`s the second bait just inside the trees

some of the snares around the second bait

Posted: 26-Feb-12

This weekend I went to one of the outpost camps and got firewood for next season. It was a nice weekend out. Checked a snare station on the way home and got a wolf and coyote today too.

Posted: 27-Feb-12

Posted: 27-Feb-12

I checked 2 snare stations today and got a wolf in a leghold at one and a coyote at the other.

Posted: 28-Feb-12

It has been another great ride thru winter with your thread.

Thanks again for sharing.

Good luck, Robb

By: Florida Mike

I love this thread. Mike

Yes, this is by far the funnest thread of the winter. We get to feel like we are checking traps every day.

Thank you! Jeff

Yep, I caught many wolves, coyotes and martin this year again. Can't wait to go trapping in 2012/2013! JJ

Have you ever thought about putting a trail camera on some of your set-ups? It would be cool to see pictures of say a wolverine alive! Or see how many wolves come into a set up. Man, that would be awesome.

Congrats on another fine year and a wonderful thread!

I have thought of putting a trail camera up but just haven't gotten around to it. Might be next years addition to the thread. This morning I went and checked a station down the lake and got another wolf. That makes 12 in that stations this winter. I'm going to go set out a few legholds this afternoon.

Went and checked one more wolf station this afternoon and got this wolverine in a wolf snare.

Posted: 01-Mar-12

Just finished up the skulls from the last 3 clients. They're all ready shipped out.

Posted: 02-Mar-12

Cool picture of all the skulls.

Excellent job guys! Looks just like my skull! JJ

By: Highway Star

Thank you gentlemen for great thread. Scott

By: lawdy

Wish we could use snares in N.H. No wolves but big coyotes. Caught a 30 pound bobcat that me and a couple of biologists weighed, sexed, and I released him. They are protected her and we have to go through all kinds of precautions because the Feds are afraid of one of us trappers catching and injuring a lynx which is considered endangered here. Do you stake or use grapples on your foot holds for wolves? Bob

Posted: 03-Mar-12

Thanks for all the great comments, it has been a great trapping season and it looks like we will have some guys from bowsite coming trapping with us next year. Lawdy, we use a small cement block to attach our legholds to, they work great and it seems that they like to pee on them, which helps get them caught, there is a good picture of this at the begining of the thread. I thought that I should let everyone know in case someone is interested that we donated a Spring Black Bear Hunt to GOABC's Annual Auction March 28-31/2012. This year you will be able to bid online so I was hoping a couple bowsiters would be interested. It is under Babine Guide Outfitters and feel free to call me anytime if you have any questions ph: 250-697-6249 or 250-847-4625. Here is the website for GOABC www.goabc.org

By: lawdy
Posted: 03-Mar-12

Thanks - I am going to try that. The Fish and Game doesn't want us using grapples anymore because we may injure a lynx.

Posted: 08-Mar-12

The local game warden gave me a moose that nearly killed a lady on the highway after being hit and ending up partially inside the vehicle with her still alive. The kids helped me drag it out to a wolf station for one last try for some wolves before shutting it down. Then we start getting ready for spring bear. Jack

Posted: 08-Mar-12

Best of luck...thank you so much for the pictures and updates. Maybe one day I will be tagging along with you guys. Best thread of the year

By: BCHUNTER
Posted: 09-Mar-12

Keep killing the wolves up there boys. BC is starting to get overrun with them now, worse than before. Down here in region 4, I've noticed a huge increase this year. Everywhere I go there are wolf tracks and sign. Killed 1 out of a Kootenay double header in October, and I know of quite a few others that have been killed. Haven't got around to talking to the trappers from around here yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did good. Keep up the good work!

Posted: 09-Mar-12

Jack, Thanks for a great thread again this year. I am looking forward to coming up the end of August to Mt. Goat hunt and if the opertunity arises I would be happy to take another wolf from BC. Have a safe and fun spring bear season. JJ

By: skinner creek
Posted: 11-Mar-12

what a great thread,that is a serious amount of bait. Are you heading to the GOABC convention, if so I will see you there.

By: moosenelson
Posted: 15-Mar-12

My absolute favourite thread. I am still checking it in hopes that something new will turn up!

Posted: 16-Mar-12

I'm checking as well. Anything come in to the moose carcass?

Posted: 16-Mar-12

jerseyjohn   's embedded Photo

A taxidermist (Clint Moon) not far from Jack/Lloyd sent this to me this morning. Crazy to see one in your yard. He also said that he has seen grizzly in his yard too in the past. JJ

Posted: 21-Mar-12

Starting to pull the rest of the snare stations today and we got a wolf and two coyotes in a station that borders a farm close to town.

Starting to pull the rest of the snare stations today and we got a wolf and two coyotes in a station that borders a farm close to town.

Great thread, I really enjoyed it and learned a couplethings I may try next year.

Posted: 23-Mar-12

I took my family to check the snare station where we brought the moose last week. We didn't think we had caught anything, but on the last snare we checked there was a nice black/silver female. The kids were totally excited as they had been there to help me set the traps so this was like their first catch. The moose carcas was completely eaten except for some bones and hide. We stayed over night in the cabin there hoping to see something last night or this morning, but no luck. We pulled all of the snares at that station leaving only one station left to pull. This makes 30 wolves for this season. There is only 1 wolf working the last station so hopefully we will get him, we'll know tomorrow when we pull the last set. Jack

Here is the wolf, you can see one of the snares we use that caught it. In the earlier photo you can see the moose out on the lake for bait and these are the snares in the trees behind it. Jack

Here we are leaving the camp with our catch. This was our last night here until June. Jack

Posted: 24-Mar-12

30 that is great!!! Alot of work goes into catching that many!

Posted: 24-Mar-12

Once again this was an awesome thread. Thank you for doing it for us. Jeff

End of Topic
Bowsite.com Logo