Shuteye 20-Feb-12
sixby 21-Feb-12
LeeBuzz 21-Feb-12
08-Feb-12
Anyone see this yet??

08-Feb-12
Sorry, that's Doomsday Preppers

08-Feb-12
Interesting. I hate to say it but they'd be better off asking Christ to enter their lives. Believers won't be here for 'the end'.

08-Feb-12
I'm with gadan.

08-Feb-12
Looking forward to the show...

Why not do both? I will prepare me and mine and also F.R.O.G.

A guy is in his house when horrendous rains start falling. The water begins to rise, and before long it becomes a major flood. The roads are covered in water making driving impossible. After awhile, a boat comes along.

A rescue worker in the boat yells, “Come on! We’re here to save you! Get in the boat!”

The guy in the house responds, “No! I’ve got faith that God will save me!”

After an unsuccessful rescue attempt, the boat leaves. The water continues to rise, and the guy is forced up to the second floor of his home.

The county sheriff’s boat comes along, and the sheriff yells, “Come on! You are going to drown if you don’t get in the boat.”

From his second floor window the guy says, “No! I’ll be okay! I have faith God will save me.” The boat moves on.

The house, except for a small part on the roof, is submerged in water. The guy is on the roof as a helicopter hovers overhead. The pilot shouts out, “This is your last chance! Climb up the ladder to safety! If you don’t come now you’re going to drown!”

The guy hollers, “No, thanks! God is going to save me!” The pilot shrugs his shoulders and flies away.

The house is covered, and the guy is swept away by the flood waters. He ascends to the Pearly Gates, where God is waiting for his arrival.

He asks God, “What happened? I have been devoted to you and had absolute faith that you would save me. Why did you let me down?”

God answers back, “What more do you want? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”

09-Feb-12
gadan and HA/KS

I don't think it's all about "the end". I believe it's more about food shortages, oil prices, earthquakes etc., and mainly not trusting the government. And not relying on the government. Being more self-reliant and being able to survive if and when those times do come

09-Feb-12
Dan, I'm not scared of what's on the other side, but if it's all the same, dying still doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun..

09-Feb-12
If you want to see how things really end, get hold of two books: "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon", and "How the Irish saved Civilization by T. Cahill".

The Roman people became prey to both barbarians from without, and out-of-control government workers from within. The money was devalued, property was confiscated, and all culture and morality was swept away. Even people who stored grain -- the preppers of their day -- were at risk from rapacious hordes of government workers and gangs of (illegal aliens) invading barbarians. Only the strong, the crafty, and the lucky survived.

09-Feb-12
"Carry a Big Stick & hope for the best"!

09-Feb-12
Don't get me wrong, guys. Be prepared to defend yourself and sustain yourself for a few days in case of a short lived problem such as an earthquake or power outage. The extent to which these guys are preparing for, however, will likely be something like the true end and you don't want to be here for that. It doesn't end up well for anybody.....still here, that is.

09-Feb-12
When I read the title of this thread I thought is was going to be about Scotch Bonnets or Red Savina Habenaros.

09-Feb-12
X2 Shuteye!!

I broke into a sweat and started looking for seeds online!

10-Feb-12
That's pretty interesting stuff. Funny when you get into more rural AZ, this preparation is simply a part of life. Almost everyone I know has massive food storage, water, etc.

I think the most interesting, if not concerning element is how Americans, maybe the most comfortable and often complacent people are almost instinctually preparing for some type of major "event".

It's like how after some time living in the mountains, for example, you just know when a big storm is about to hit. But in this case it's not just those in touch with the land, but your neighbor, your friend, your in-law, all recognizing that things are changing way too fast.

It's not quite the same as our grandparents building bomb shelters in their back yards in response to the cold war, but it has the same feel.

"Normal", educated, rational people are feeling the need to stock up on food, water, cash, guns and ammo.

Tells me there's a storm on the horizon.

10-Feb-12
Just one last analogy to frame this phenomenon. A commmon athiest theme is to invoke the idea that upon death, there is nothing, an eternal emptiness.

If you ask someone who believes in this idea, "what if you're wrong"? The answer is paradoxical. If they're right, they can never know they are right - if they are wrong, then they have committed the the ultimate act of denial - and now have to deal with a reality beyond life itself.

There is no winning answer for those who deny life after death. Only an empty, black vaccum devoid of anything including them could possibly prove their theory, and how can absolutely nothing be interpreted as anything?

On the other hand, there is no losing answer for those who believe in, and embrace something beyond this physical life? If they are right, they will be prepared for it. If they are wrong, than nothing they will have planned for or believed in will matter, or even exist, when they no longer exist.

Just something to chew on.

10-Feb-12
duplicate removed

10-Feb-12
Planning to sustain yourself for a few days until order is restored is one thing. But to me, planning for years and years of survival in a totally devastated environment seems like a futile attempt to prolong the inevitable. I guess I just don't see myself running around with my group and fighting with other small groups of holdouts just to be the last man standing.

18-Feb-12
Looks like big brother came and confiscated one of the preppers guns. Doctor declared him mentally defective....

18-Feb-12
Unless in a religious context, "Doomsday Prepper" has the hollow ring of futility. However, folks prepping for financial collapse and a higher level of functional independence is just commonsense.

I just caught an episode and I was impressed in general. Though, there was one bunch that refused to arm themselves. They theorized their community would keep them safe. Good grief.

Most of the show was no more than an exaggerated degree of the way my grandparents lived. Very telling that is considered so beyond the norm now.

18-Feb-12

gflight's Link
The accusation of insanity came after he went to see his cardiologist for some chest pains and shortness of breath. So far, it sounds sane and rational to me. The cardiologist, Dr. Andre C. Olivier, whose name and contact information I am delighted to publish, had Mr. Sarti held at the hospital for psychiatric evaluation and broke doctor patient confidentiality by contacting the authorities.

Then it really went to hell on a greased slide. Mr. Sarti, because of his stay in the psychiatric unit, was then declared “mentally incompetent”. His very large collection of guns was then stolen removed from his possession. He is no longer allowed to own weapons.

Welcome to the America we live in today. The country has devolved to a point that being eccentric means the constitution no longer applies to you. What is next? Already, believing that the gold standard is the only way to correct our economic ills makes you a target. Bloggers and writers of alternative media are all on a list, with our computer systems under nearly constant attack. I spend as much time fending off malware and viruses as I do writing this blog. Anyone who disagrees with the government is not labelled an “extremist.”

19-Feb-12
Make no mistake, this show is pure propaganda. Its primary objective is to make fun of these people and cast them as a small group of ignorant odd bodkins at best, and dangerous at worst. Notice how many shows depict the government as sane, smart, and in control while anyone who opposes them is either crazy, criminal, or just plain stupid. This show is just another one.

19-Feb-12
Right, Blue. That is the whole point of the show.....to make the "authorities" look smart and well-adjusted sensible folk, while the "Preppers" appear as non-conformist dummies and conspiracy nuts.

On a similar note, ever notice how a lot of commercials make the middle aged WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant) look stupid, while the monority, usually a woman, looks bright, knowledgable, and very cool?

If not, start noticing. You'll be amazed at the workings of the propaganda machine.

19-Feb-12
I see nothing wrong with having a lot of ammo and guns. It's a small investment.

19-Feb-12
This is the NatGeo Channel. I canceled my subscription to the magazine 10 years ago due to the liberal slant of their editorials and stories.

The NatGeo Channel does not have any programming that is good for me and my family, and I will not watch it.

19-Feb-12
God's deliverance has never been by Rapture, He had Noah build an arc to the saving of his house. If God gives us warning of the time at hand, End of Age or what ever you want to call it,. Then you can have the arc, ( spiritually and physically ) prepared.

A lot of rapture believers will be highly dismayed to find that the rapture(Harpozo) is actually at the end of the Great Tribulation time and includes the witness that are killed and lay in the streets for three and a half days before they are raised up, stand on their feet and taken to God. Unless you can show more than one place where the dead in Christ rise first and then we which remain are caught up to be with them you need to mentally, spiritually, and physically prepare as God shows you. I have watched this show in interest and with great amusement at times. One thing I think is absolutely stupid of these people is that they are pubically outing themselves . thats the last thing folks that truly wish to survive should be doing.

God bless you all, Steve

19-Feb-12
"A lot of rapture believers will be highly dismayed to find that the rapture"......is nothing but a bunch of mad up nonsense.

there that's fixed now.

19-Feb-12
"A lot of rapture believers will be highly dismayed to find that the rapture(Harpozo) is actually at the end of the Great Tribulation time"

Yep, Jesus only comes back once.

19-Feb-12
This is the NatGeo Channel. I canceled my subscription to the magazine 10 years ago due to the liberal slant of their editorials and stories.

The NatGeo Channel does not have any programming that is good for me and my family, and I will not watch it.

I also canceled my subscription that I have had for 40 years and I have read the magazine since I was 10 years old, 60 years ago. However I do like some of their programs on TV.

19-Feb-12
I do like some of the programs due to the sake of interest. I do not have to agree with everything about them to find them interesting. For example I like finding the truth about Islam. That does not mean that I like Islam. LOL./

19-Feb-12
I do like some of the programs due to the sake of interest. I do not have to agree with everything about them to find them interesting. For example I like finding the truth about Islam. That does not mean that I like Islam. LOL./ I can always turn the sound down when they start the Gorbal Worming.

God bless you all, Steve

20-Feb-12
When I was a little kid I loved the NatGeo magazine. That was the only place you could see boobies. Of course they were all tribes of natives, in the jungle, and they were black.

20-Feb-12
"This is the NatGeo Channel. I canceled my subscription to the magazine 10 years ago due to the liberal slant of their editorials and stories."

"The NatGeo Channel does not have any programming that is good for me and my family, and I will not watch it."

Jim,

Sixby might have said that because he is a very studied, articulate person. But he did not. I did. Thanks for mistaking my comment for his. ;o)

20-Feb-12
Sorry I'm bad.

20-Feb-12
I watch Nat Geo all the time. There are a lot of interesting things to be seen in this world that most of us will never be able to witness. Most of the ones I like pertain to space, the cosmos, the universe, how life works in general, etc. With that being said I know a lot of people that don't like it because it contradicts or doesn't focus strictly on, their belief of how and why we are here.

20-Feb-12
Before you become a prepper, you need to know how you will answer the "Susy" question.

THE SUSY QUESTION:

Little Susy lives next door. She is as cute as any little six year old kid could ever be. She has been in your house a number of times, looks up to you, and trusts you.

Things hit the fan, you are forced to use your stockpiles of food and water to keep you and your family fed and cared for. One day Susy comes knocking and asks if you will please share with her (and maybe her siblings and parents) because she is VERY hungry.

What will you do?

If you don't share with Susy, do you deserve to go on living?

If you share with one, where do you stop?

20-Feb-12
If Suzy eats deer meat or fish she would be in luck. You can dry both if electricity is off for a long long time. Salt helps too. Water is no problem at all, I have two wells and can easily put a hand pump on either one. I live in the woods so fire wood is no problem. My big problem would be insulin and when I ran out I don't think I would live long but would try and leave the family in good shape before I bit the dust.

21-Feb-12
Noah did not close the door to the arc. God did. I would never refuse food or water to a person that was hungry,. Still I will provide the best I can for family and all I can and trust God still to provide more if that runs out. God bless you all, Steve

21-Feb-12
Personally I would feed the kid and worry about everybody else later.

21-Feb-12
That is the point where bartering would come into play and communes begin to form. Like settling the west all over again.

21-Feb-12
I will take any bet that anyone would like to place for doomsday to have occured by some specific time in the next 20 years.

The only caveat.....if I die before doomsday you do not collect but the same would go for you.

22-Feb-12
I only bet on sure things myself and it is a very safe bet that we ourselves, or God, or just plain bad luck, or whatever you want to call it wipes us out. We are for sure in agreement there.

• Sitka Gear