TD 03-Aug-13
Glunt@work 03-Aug-13
Shuteye 03-Aug-13
keepemsharp 03-Aug-13
Coyote 65 03-Aug-13
31-Jul-13

tonyo6302's Link
Alaska man kills charging bear with assault rifle

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A trail south of Anchorage has been closed after a man killed a brown bear that charged him.

Department of Fish and Game wildlife biologist Jessy Coltrane tells the Anchorage Daily News that an unidentified man came across the bear Sunday morning while hiking alone. He told Coltrane the bear charged him, and he fired 13 rounds from an AK-74 assault rifle he was carrying on his hike.

Chugach State Park Ranger Tom Crockett said the bear ran off, but later died.

Officials say the bear was skinned and the head taken to Fish and Game. But a large portion of the carcass remains about 100 yards off the trail, and likely will attract other bears.

Rangers have closed the trail between McHugh Creek and the Rainbow trailhead.

31-Jul-13
Looks like our new Stand Your Ground statute is kicking in here in AK!

31-Jul-13
We are up here in Denali ready to take the tour tomorrow. Should see some. Hope we don't run into one of them buggers when we start bank fishing next week.

31-Jul-13
How'd the bear get hold of an assault rifle?

I guess he passed the background check!

31-Jul-13

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
(Assault Rifles) are good for a lot of things that the liberals don't know about.

31-Jul-13
Please forgive me for what I am about to say:

If it only saves one life!!!!

Terry

01-Aug-13
"How'd the bear get hold of an assault rifle? "

The fictitious Gun show loophole?

Passed the background check?

Got it from his medical marijuana dealer?

Kept it as a souvenier upon his discharge from the Army?

Pete in Fairbanks fell asleep while hunting?

NRA Sweepstakes winner?

Shuteye traded it and the groundhog for two yellow perch and a jar of honey?

LOL!

01-Aug-13
Al Sharpton was headed up there until they clarified that it was a brown bear.

01-Aug-13
Poor choice of weapon for bear country. When I went fishing with my buddies we carried shotguns with buck-n-ball loads.

The 50 cal. pistols are pretty popular too but a riot gun slung over your shoulder and bear pepper spray ends the discussion pretty quick.

01-Aug-13
"......but a riot gun slung over your shoulder and bear pepper spray ends the discussion pretty quick."

Hey now! Sounds like you've spent some time in Chicago!

02-Aug-13
Doubt if it was an "assault rifle", the paper work is pretty expensive. Probably just a normal AR15.

03-Aug-13
I thought it was a typo at first but upon checking the AK 74 is actually the "modern" version of the AK 47? Guess I'm not really up on my AKs.

The 47 fired a much more potent round, a .30 caliber (.308?) whereas the 74 went to something along the lines of the .223?

Not much knockdown for sure.... if using FMJ though, decent penetration I'd bet....

Interesting.... good thing he wasn't regulated by law to a 5 round clip.... could be Treadwell fertilizer by now....

03-Aug-13
5.45x39, similar to a .223. The only reason I would have fired 13 rounds would be if thats all that was in it :^)

03-Aug-13
If I was carrying an AK 47 or AR 15 it certainly would not be loaded with military FMJ bullets. It would be loaded with bullets made for killing, not wounding. A lot more expensive ammo but worth every penny when needed.

03-Aug-13
A true "assault rifle" is full auto, doubt that this one is. But the anti media has labeled anything they like to be called an assault rifle, we all need to refute this campaign nationwide.

03-Aug-13
In line with Keepemsharp I think we should call them what the gov. calls them. Personal Defense Weapons.

Terry

• Sitka Gear