Lucas 16-Apr-14
MI-Bowman 16-Apr-14
Lucas 16-Apr-14
Lucas 16-Apr-14
MI-Bowman 16-Apr-14
Keith 16-Apr-14
Lucas 16-Apr-14
11-Apr-14
I see an article floating around that proposes that Jesus had a wife. Apparently there is a scripture that may have been discovered that perports that Jesus was married. How will that info , if ever proven, affect Christianity? Is there more evidence than is in the current version of the Bible? How would the religous feel if it turns out after all this time that the version we have is incomplete?

11-Apr-14
Rhody, it was.

11-Apr-14
It wont affect anything except the anti religious people will try to use it in order to further try and discredit religion.

Look up how the bible was put together. Those kinds of books were around during that time and they were found to highly suspect and unreliable so they were not included in the bible.

This is actually very old news believe it or not.

11-Apr-14
Define "wife."

As stated above, he does - the Church is the Bride of Christ.

If you mean in the earthly sense, then what if the sun is green and obama is good for America.

11-Apr-14
Buckiller x2

-Anyone who questions hasn't read. ;)

In the literal sense, however, I don't think it would alter Scripture. Jesus was God incarnate and destined to suffer as a man. As such, marriage would only make Him more empathetic. :)

11-Apr-14
Owl, LoL.

11-Apr-14
The church didn't choose, God chose:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Psalms 119:89 For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven.

11-Apr-14

Hammer's Link

12-Apr-14
From your link, Hammer : In the end, Christians accept on faith that God–directly or indirectly–chose and caused which books ended up in the New Testament.

12-Apr-14
Correct.

I have no doubt in the bible myself but I wanted the OP to have a little history on how the bible was put together.

I always laugh a little when some book or small piece of writing is found that might be a bit different from the bible and the fire storm that may or may not follow.

I look at it this way.... The odds are astronomically high that when the bible was put together all of those other books and writings people find today would have been much more prominent at the time the bible was made compared to now. They were not allowed in the bible for a reason.

One would ask why is that? Well if they know bible history and how it was put together one would know that each book had to pass kind of a smell test and needed corroboration and as close to 1st hand knowledge as possible. The standards were high for what went in. You cant take one obscure mans written words and just pop them in as truth if there is no corroboration.

It would be like putting a book together today on what Christianity is. There are lots of books that speak to it and lots of them are BS books written by religion haters. Anyone worth their salt would know that book is skewed and it would not have a place because it is not the truth based on the other 1000 books that say the opposite. Its a crude example but......

12-Apr-14
"Radiocarbon tests conducted at Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology produced an origination date for the papyrus of 659-859 CE, according to Harvard. MIT also studied the chemical composition of the papyrus and patterns of oxidation.

Other scholars studied the carbon character of the ink and found that it matched samples of papyri from the first to eight century CE, according to Harvard."

12-Apr-14
interesting when one myth conflicts with another...there were probably hundreds of these "scriptures" created. It was something of ancient literature genre to create these "books" and even attribute them to other long dead people. This went on for centuries starting in the decades just after Jesus death. Some of them are more bizzare than others.

So what if Jesus had a wife I would say.....it would not change the message.

12-Apr-14
What if trees were chartreuse?

What if deer ate only jelly beans?

John 1:1-2 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Proverbs 30:5 - Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

How did God create? He spoke!

Genesis 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

Do not trifle with God's Word.

12-Apr-14
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

12-Apr-14
If Jesus had a wife.... $20 says she was smokin hot.

12-Apr-14
Spike,

It doesn't.

whether it was really written long ago makes no difference to me. It obviously did not pass the smell test back in the day.

Take the long lost and recently discovered Gospel of Judah for example. It mirrors a lot of the bible but it also is the only account that said Judah did not actually betray Jesus and that he was instead under orders from Jesus to bring the Roman soldiers to him so he could be crucified. That flies in the face of what every other written account says.

When there are 100's of writing to the contrary that are closer in time and have been verified as much as possible then they are MUCH more likely to be more accurate than one obscure text that speaks to the contrary.

12-Apr-14
Do you really think (corrected typo) that the God who created the universe and breathed life into man couldn't keep his scripture from being corrupted by men?

12-Apr-14
Henry,

Who are you asking?

I know he can keep his scriptures from being corrupted.

Like I said there is a reason the other books that were around back in the day were not included in the bible. Those other books like the gospel of Judah and the Gospel of Mary etc were not included in the bible because they did not pass the smell test and could not even be remotely verified.

Not sure if you were addressing me or not though so if not then please discard.

12-Apr-14
Just part of the general discussion.

13-Apr-14
I have always wondered how Jesus could be tempted in all things in like manner as I am if he was not tempted by the opposite sex. Now that does not mean that He sinned. Temptation is not sin.

Conversely , marriage is sanctified by God (Jesus} and the marriage is holy and the bed undefiled. Soooooooooo if Jesus were married ,. It would not make one whit of difference in my relationship with Him or my faith in the Word.

It would sure make havoc of Catholic dogma though. It would also mess with people that cannot see any difference between the most holy institution on earth (marriage] and fornication.

God bless, Steve

13-Apr-14
Six,

God also says man is better off not to marry but if he cannot control himself he should marry.

LOL... I wonder why he gave us that warning.

14-Apr-14
Greek and Hebrew are kind of a prerequisite to really verifying bibles.

If you study those you will have a far easier time understanding.

IMO the King James version is the most accurate bible that's in English form.

When I say god will not allow his word to be corrupted I am not saying some modern dolt cant write a bible that's full of errors and hogwash because any Christian Knows there are bibles out there that are not the truth.

14-Apr-14
Eye has not seen, neither has ear heard the things that God has prepared for those that love Him and are called according to His purpose. Butttttttttttt The spirit has revealed them unto us, yea the deep things of God. Spiritual things are only understood by those that are spiritual beings. We are only spiritual beings when we are born again of the spirit of God, His spirit witnesses with out spirit that we are the Sons of God., Hammer I agree., KJV witnesses with the spirit of God that is within me that it is the Word of God. None of the other Bibles I have read even come close.

Understanding and wisdom comes from God and is given freely to those that seek it and are born of the spirit.

If any among you lacks wisdom let him ask of God who giveth to all men freely and upbraideth not. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering , for he that wavers is like the waves of the sea, driven of the wind and tossed.

Let not the double minded man think he shall receive anything from God. (understanding included)

Who has known the mind of God? Butttttttttt we now have the mind of Christ.

Spiritual things must be spiritually discerned.

God bless you all, Steve

14-Apr-14
Hammer, Did you mean god could not have kids and, or a "hard-on"? Is the word you're looking for "omnipotent"?

14-Apr-14
memengako,

What are you talking about and why are you asking me?

I am not the one that 'said' or 'meant' anything so I am confused on what it is you think I was "looking" for.

You must have mixed up me and RiverBottom somehow though I cannot see how.

Riverbottom said "God is impotent"

Ask him for your answer

14-Apr-14
I think it's interesting that most people who say that the bible is never changed say an additional line to the Lord's Prayer ; )

14-Apr-14
What's that got to do with the actual written word?

Lots of people end prayers by giving God all the glory. The lords prayer is no differant

15-Apr-14
I find it funny that a scrap of linen with a Jesus and his wife means the The Jesus of the bible was married! How many people have the name Jesus? Was he the only one? I know there are tons of men named Jesus today! I always find it funny that they find a box with the words james son of mary and it's gotta be Jesus's brother! These were common names

15-Apr-14
Not to mention that many of the same characters who dismiss the Bible offhand, dispute it's writings and it's historic references, and call it pure fairy tale are many of the same ones buying this scrap as some factual bit of information.

15-Apr-14
Funny, those that disregarded him and had him murdered then thought by killing him it would all go away. Same for the dolts that promote this crap now! HE IS RISEN!

15-Apr-14
hear hear Keith.

15-Apr-14
Matt, the person responsible for popularizing that addition also managed to remove 7 canonized books from the bible, a big change.

16-Apr-14
Lucas,

What? You lost me bro?

16-Apr-14
Martin Luther removed 7 books that up to that point had been part of the Bible when he produced the first lay language bibles.

16-Apr-14
1st, 2nd Maccabees, Wisdom (of Solomon) Sirach, Tobit, Judith, Baruch. There are three other books considered canonical by the Eastern Orthodox Church and at least one other book considered canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Initially Luther advocated purging books from the New Testament also. The bible has been changed...

16-Apr-14
lucas- They have the gay language bible?

16-Apr-14
Auto correct! Lay, as in common, and as I was looking, Luther's was not the first.

16-Apr-14
It says lay in my first post

16-Apr-14
lucas- I am sorry for that. I read that wrong 2 times. I thought it said gay and not lay.

My apologizes.

16-Apr-14
Luther removing the books is not entirely correct. He did however move those OT books into the Apocrypha. His comment “Apocrypha: these books are not held equal to the Scriptures but are useful and good to read.” – Luther Bible 1534

Many theologians prior to Luther did question what books should be included. (yes... and they were catholic theologians...gasp!) So Luther definitely was not the first to suggest they should not be included.

They are not that popular in the US for Lutherans, but Concordia Publishing just published them a few years ago. They are neat to read.

16-Apr-14
Absolutely correct, that only validates my claim that people are willing to change the document. I'm not catholic. There is some speculation that Luther removed them because of his antisemetic views.

• Sitka Gear