Narlyhorn 18-Apr-14
slade 18-Apr-14
bluedog 18-Apr-14
Shoots-Straight 18-Apr-14
Narlyhorn 18-Apr-14
Narlyhorn 18-Apr-14
Anony Mouse 29-Apr-14
12-Apr-14
What is your reason for not belonging, or if you do, for belonging.

12-Apr-14
I do, I support all of the Constitution.

12-Apr-14
Am a life member, but quit sending them money since their promotions of xguns in bowseasons...

12-Apr-14
I have belonged in the past but I got tired of their endless appeals for funds.

TBB

12-Apr-14
I belong because I want my gun rights protected. If not for the NRA liberals would like us to be like Canada no hand guns at all ! Every gun owner should belong or if you think you might want a gun you should belong ! I am amazed at the gun owners that don't belong to NRA. Obama wants to take your guns don't let him lie . He lied about insurance ! You know he lies about everything !

12-Apr-14
Crossbows!

12-Apr-14
I can see it coming now. Some of the same folks who want everyone to join P&Y don't belong to the NRA because they don't agree with a small part of the organization. The shoe is on the other foot now ! Incidentally, I am a lifer and have been for years. If I have to defend my life and my family, it won't be with my bow !

12-Apr-14
Years ago they lobbied for assault rifles when they were under attack. I did not support that support. About a year later a gun maker was promoting a plastic gun that would not be detectable by airline scans. NRA was supportive this gun should be around. After mass deaths at movie theaters and schools, the NRA was like "don't ban assault rifles, carry your own". Lately it is X-bows need to be legal for any archery season. I can't think of too many folks that the NRA represents outside of assault rifle and X-bow manufacturer's.

12-Apr-14
I am. They can be annoying at times but not losing my right to bear arms is a whole lot more important to me than the minor things. All in all I believe they do alot that I approve of. Plus its worth the dues for the firearm insurance and all the benefits of being a member. Had a firearm stolen and they were class act all the way.

12-Apr-14
I'm not and never have been. No good reason for that either.

Thinking of staring the NBA. National Bow association because after they go for our guns the bows will be next. Then the knives and bats. Then they will want to chop off our hands so we cant use those as a weapon.

Its all for the kids after all.

They need to buzz off and leave our weapons alone.

Bad things happen sometimes. Its the cost of a free society.

12-Apr-14
I am signing up for Pope and Young and SCI. Already been NRA member my hole life . I want to belong to any good group of people that in general support what I love ! We need to all stick together not nit pick because NRA supports cross bows . I don't care if someone uses cross bow its not for me now but when I get older I might love cross bows . Its stick together time guys not nit pick forever !

12-Apr-14
NRA is huge. The worst thing that could happen to the NRA is if the NRA won. They would be irrelevant then. The best thing that can happen to the NRA is continued attacks that seriously threaten or take our freedoms.

I'm not sayng don't join, they accomplish a lot. Just saying don't blindly trust any organizationthis big that exists only when the threat they fight against exists. The worse things are for gun owners, the better the NRA does. Don't think for a minute that simple concept goes unnoticed to the NRA.

*Tightens strap on tinfoil hat

12-Apr-14
I do belong and have for many years over 40. I do not care about crossbows. face it the ones using crossbows are in the woods hunting, and not trying to take your guns or bows from you. LET IT GO. Forrest

12-Apr-14
Tighten 'er down Glunt ! The reason NRA ranks swell when gun grabbers are at their worst, is because people wake up and join an organization that fights for gun rights.

Muddy, no disrespect sir, but just what is an " assault " rifle? If you are referring to the AR 15 types, I use mine to assault coyotes and pigs. When I am not using them , they reside in my gun safe where they behave themselves exactly as my lever guns, my bolt actions , and my single shots. Ain't caught 'em misbehaving yet ! And as for the plastic gun, that was the drivel started by the anti-gun crowd when the Glock pistol made it's debut. Sorry to be the one to burst their bubble, but it just ain't so ! You have to have some steel parts if you want to actually FIRE a gun.

12-Apr-14
"You have to have some steel parts if you want to actually FIRE a gun."

Only a spring.

12-Apr-14
Are you going to shoot plastic bullets? loaded in plastic cases? An unloaded gun is only a club.

My wife is an NRA member but I'm not. I was for many years and my dad was a member from 20 years old to 97 years old. They do a lot of good but waste more money than Obama and Michelle. Their book work is just absolutely awful. Year after year I would pay and then get a letter that my membership was expired. I talked to them on the phone and they would apologize but it kept happening. I just decided not to put up with it any more.

12-Apr-14
Have had go around with them over money and Xguns but still a member!

12-Apr-14
NRA,GOA, Second Amendment Foundation--all serve a function.

Example facing us soon (H/T:Weasel Zippers)

82 House Dems Send Letter To Obama Asking Him To Issue Decree Banning Import of “Military-Style Firearms”…

According to Dems anything more advanced than a musket is a “military-style” weapon.

Washington, D.C. – Today, Representative Eliot L. Engel (D-NY), Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, and John Conyers Jr. (D-MI), Ranking Member of the House Judiciary Committee, led an 82 member letter to President Barack Obama urging him to renew enforcement of the ban on imported military-style firearms that was previously enforced during the H.W. Bush and Clinton administrations. Enforcing this ban would serve the dual purpose of improving public safety in the U.S. and reducing drug-related violence in Mexico, where there have been approximately 70,000 organized-crime related deaths since December 2006. Imported military-style firearms have been used in recent mass shootings in the United States and are frequently trafficked into Mexico where they fall into the hands of the country’s brutal drug trafficking organizations.

Enforcing the import ban would require no congressional action as the President has very broad authority under the 1968 Gun Control Act to prohibit the importation of firearms and ammunition unless they are “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.”

Ranking Member Engel said: “Military-style firearms should have no place in our communities. Restoring the import ban is a no-brainer that would require no legislative action, would make our nation safer and would support neighboring Mexico where drug violence is fueled by firearms flowing south from the United States.”

Ranking Member Conyers said: “We must do all we can to reduce the unacceptable level of daily gun violence in America, and I believe we can do more to address the problem of military-style assault weapons imported into this country. I ask that the President and the Administration take steps to update and reinvigorate this ban and help keep more of these weapons from getting to our streets.”

12-Apr-14
I am a life member. I belong because they take-on those who want to destroy the 2A. It's too bad we need separate organizations to protect the freedoms our elected officials are sworn to uphold.

12-Apr-14
X2 Mouse, 2nd Amendment Sisters is a group my wife has belonged to. They also do some good works.

One or all, take your pick. I've been members of all at one time or another. Currently RMGO.

12-Apr-14

12-Apr-14
Life member. Can't get bothered by crossbows anymore than I am about the compound I use. Forrest has an excellent point wrt c rossbows. They are the most effective lobby on my side of ledger. All the right people hate them.:)

12-Apr-14
Life member. Can't get bothered by crossbows anymore than I am about the compound I use. Forrest has an excellent point wrt c rossbows. They are the most effective lobby on my side of ledger. All the right people hate them.:)

12-Apr-14
Hammer, when you find a plastic barrel that will stand up to the rigors of sending a bullet from a standing start to screaming down range while imparting spin let me look at it . Thanks.

12-Apr-14

Hammer's Link
Drycreek,

Here is a link and a video to a plastic gun that used a nail for a firing pin and it held up for at least 2 shots according to the story.

12-Apr-14
Whenever you hear the most anti-gun liberal zealots go on a tirade, the organization they scream the loudest about is the NRA.

That right there is why I've been a member since I was 16, a life member since I was 25, and an endowment life member for the past 15 years.

Are they perfect? Hell no. But I firmly believe that they are THE reason why we still have the 2A rights that we still have.

Imagine if even HALF of the people who own firearms became members....the anti-gun politicians would be p***ing blood!

12-Apr-14
I'm a Life Member and an Endowment Member.

For whatever little pizzant things you might object to, all you need to remember is this:

The gun-grabbing, Anti-2A liberals on the left fear the NRA with everything they've got. They know how politically powerful the NRA can be come election time and it scares the pants off them.

12-Apr-14
Not a life member... but I shoulda been as I've been a member now for probably 334 or 35 yrs now.

I'm a member because of all of the Pro 2A organizations out there, they are the most organized and in my view the most effective organization on the national front line of the assaults on the 2A.

12-Apr-14
I can hear it all now:

"Yeah, Obama/Reid/Schumer/Pelosi confiscated all my firearms. But at least crossbows aren't legal during the archery season, and that's good enough for me!"

12-Apr-14
I am a life member because, if I owned any guns, I would want my rights to be protected. The NRA does that on behalf of those who do own guns.

13-Apr-14
I am a member.

13-Apr-14
Why did all these post at the end become Bold print?

13-Apr-14
Don't know

I fear we have all been put on a government watch list and the bold print is the way they identify us.

13-Apr-14
Hammer, I heard about that. First time I got a look at it though. I don't believe most folks would call that a pistol. A contraption, maybe ! Interesting that nobody held it while firing ! LOL !

13-Apr-14
Drycreek,

Agreed.

Would you hold it? NOT ME!! LOL

The crazy part is that it wont be to long and the technology will be there to make guns like that on a regular basis that will be of decent quality.

13-Apr-14
Dono but it's NGU fault. He used Bold print at the end of his post and now everyone has bold print. He must have turned it on. lol

Heck even the add-ons box is showing bold print.

What did you do NGU? LOL.

13-Apr-14
Endowment Life Member

Like sundowner, some day I may own firearms, it sounds like it could be fun!

13-Apr-14
"They know how politically powerful the NRA can be come election time and it scares the pants off them."

I don't want to see Nancy Pelosi or Hillary Clinton with no pants!!

13-Apr-14
Life and Endowment member.

The NRA helps protect the 2A and they have a much louder voice than I do.

13-Apr-14
"What is your reason for not belonging, or if you do, for belonging."

I do not hunt with a crossbow.

13-Apr-14
You don't have to own a crossbow, or a gun for that matter. All you have to do is want to have Constitutional freedom.

If they can rob you of your birthright to keep and bear arms, then they can rob you of all your other birthrights also. If one is compromised then none of them are safe.

13-Apr-14
Benefactor member for many years. I still occasionally donate even though i've given them thousands.

The 2nd amendment would be a shadow of it's self if it weren't for the NRA. They typically rank and the most effective lobbying organization in D.C. and for good reason.

Many complain about their marketing but. imagine what folks would be complaining about if the NRA didn't do what it does...and well.

14-Apr-14
So, the NRA had a table set up on the Bundy property signing up new members. Most likely they split the proceeds with Harry Reid.

14-Apr-14
Life member for over 30 years. Bought life memberships for my sons for High School graduation. Wife is also a life member.

The NRA is the most effective group (IMO) for combating the left's ANTI agenda!

14-Apr-14
Life member here too.

14-Apr-14
Been a member for over 25 years. Back in 1994 a cop in Newark Airport threatened me with arrest for trying to fly with a AR-15 when NJ had a ban on them. I was prepared and gave them the literature that the NRA had faxed to me to counter this harassment. That's when I knew I had to join to counter a government that could and had become tyrannical.

14-Apr-14
Neglected to mention when Life Memberships were offered for $300, I enrolled 3 sons and 2 sons in law.

The crossbow argument is lame in my opinion. I had to use one before I had total shoulder replacements in 2012/13. They are not what everyone thinks they are.

Someday we may be reduced to concealed carry crossbows when the gun grabbers get their way.

14-Apr-14
NRA Life Member. Also an P & Y member.

It was the NRA that ponied up with money and lawyers to defend Urban Bowhunting in Virginia. The ATA was the lead, then the NRA stepped in with the cash and expertise, to help the ATA win the fight.

P & Y ? VBA ? No where to be found, Archers in the Old Dominion were left high and dry, except for the ATA and NRA.

14-Apr-14
Benefactor Life Member here.

Undoubtedly the most powerful Gun Rights group out there. If 25% of gun owners were members, I believe that we'd see very little legislation that hurt our cause.

Pretty pathetic when out of an estimated 80 to 100 million gun owners only 5 million join. $25 a year people.

I support them fully, and NO I don't agree with all of their positions. I am also an NRA Recruiter, and usually use my small commissions to buy memberships for the truly stubborn.

For those who choose not to join, I sincerely hope that you choose another organization or three to support. Gun Owners of America (GOA), is one worth checking out. They are a No Compromise Gun Rights Group that makes the NRA look like sissies. I support them both. And several others.

We all have to ask ourselves, what do we stand for? And how will we support those that fight along side of us?

NRA Memberships make great gifts, and you can add a spouse or a kid (or anyone) as an Associate Member for $15 (no magazine).

And for those who say they get bugged all the time for more money: Really? So all those spam emails and regular junk mail you get are ok, but a couple of calls from the NRA are too much to take?

This is from the FAQ on the NRA site:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

14-Apr-14
I know and highly respect a few folks who withhold support of the NRA for their views on crossbows. To each his own but I identify with freedom above my interpretation of archery.

14-Apr-14
IMO people who use the "I hate crossbows" reasoning to not join would find some other irrelevant reason to not join if there were no crossbows.

As others have mentioned, they are not perfect and I disagree with them in some areas, but the areas where I do agree with them and the tangible good they have done for me as a gun owner AND a free American far outweigh any negatives.

14-Apr-14
I am a member.

14-Apr-14

Thumper's embedded Photo
Thumper's embedded Photo
"IMO people who use the "I hate crossbows" reasoning to not join would find some other irrelevant reason to not join if there were no crossbows."

Sorry. I was a life member and have given them thousands of dollars during my lifetime to protect my gun rights. I flat out quit them, I've been removed from their membership rolls. Made it very clear to them I'm no longer their man. Still wanting to file a class action lawsuit to get my donations back because of the NRA's misuse of those funds. The NRA wasn't standing with the Bundys, they are standing with their good friend Harry Reid.

14-Apr-14

juneaulongbow's Link
Why not Gun Owners of America?

$20 for a year...

$35 at NRA.

I'm not a member at either one, just playing devil's advocate.

14-Apr-14
If you can afford both then be in both. If you can only afford one then go with the NRA. Why? When's the last time you heard a gun-o-phobe liberal moonbat wail and complain about the GOA?

The NRA is the 3000 pound gorilla in the room.

15-Apr-14
I don't expect others to finance the defense of my 2nd amendment rights. I find it funny/strange that we must finance the defense of a right. If it can be taken away, it's not a right, it's a privilege.

I realize $20-35 isn't much money but I have other financial obligations and honestly it's not really on my mind to join. I really don't join many organizations. I don't care to be hassled by the NRA or get junk mail from them. I've seen a few other complaints in some of the posts above.

If everyone on this thread promises to join the GOA, I'll join too. They are "the only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington." - Ron Paul

15-Apr-14
Yup. And just like Ron Paul they are correct on the issue but ineffective as far as tangible outcomes.

15-Apr-14
They are not ineffective as far as tangible outcomes WW.

You may want to find out just who was the most active and influential pro gun group who recently worked to recall two anti-gun Colorado legislators. How tangible is that? They also worked w/ Magpul to put Colorado gunowners at the front of the line for high cap magazines when they were outlawed. They also worked with county Sheriffs to encourage non enforcement of those new gun control laws. Is that tangible enough for you? Others may have other examples.

Ron Paul ineffectual, why because Republicans subverted him as well? LOL.

I am all for supporting the NRA if you want to but calling GOA ineffective is patently false. I have supported both and other groups too and will continue to do so.

Geez, man, lighten up on GOA and RP. They are on your side.

15-Apr-14
I never said I disagreed with them (well, maybe with some of what Ron Paul wanted...but if he were the candidate I'd of voted for him in a heartbeat). The point was that if you can only afford to support ONE then IMO the NRA would be the first pick. I LIKE GOA and what they stand for. And I'm glad that they are making a mark. But the facts are that they have a long way to go before they are in the NRA's league.

If you asked 10 rabidly anti-gun legislators who the GOA was I'll bet that 9 would have no idea what GOA even stands for.

16-Apr-14
You said both RP and GOA were ineffective. I couldn't let that slide as I know otherwise.

People should belong to NRA for the reasons you stated. GOA is a fine organization. Just want people to know first hand that belonging to both or either is money well spent.

I'll take that $10 bet too. I'll start with the two Colorado legislators. John McCain, Harry Reid, Obama, Rahm Emanuel, Diane Feinstein, Peter Buckley, John Hickenlooper, Michael Dembrow, Cuomo, Bloomberg. I guarantee you every liberal gungrabber out there knows who Larry Pratt is.

Now pay up. :>)

Oops, guess it wasn't $10. I'll take a cup of joe.

16-Apr-14
LOL!! I don't even know who Larry Pratt is!!

Sorry Nar...they're definately on the team, but still in the "minors".

16-Apr-14
Woods, you should read up on Pratt.

Nothing minor league about him. Smart. He is a playa. LOL.

16-Apr-14
I'm sure he is. But if I don't know who he is, what does that say about people who are not involved at all? That's not saying that his time won't come...just that it isn't quite there yet.

16-Apr-14
I like Larry Pratt, and he is not competing with the NRA......they are fighting for the same cause.

If there were 10 minor issues (like crossbows) on which I disagreed with the NRA, I would still support their efforts to fight for the 2A.

16-Apr-14

16-Apr-14
I am a proud Life member. The NRA is the best advocate we having working for us. I also appreciate all the other support and programs they provide to law enforcement, the military and the general, law abiding, gun owning public. The articles in the magazines are all very informative and I appreciate the NRA's appreciation of history. ...and imo, GOA et.al. are all partners with the NRA when it comes to protecting America's rights and freedoms.

16-Apr-14

Ace's Link
OK, here is a Link to a DISCOUNTED 1 year NRA Membership to the NRA. It's $25 instead of $35. And I will donate my commission to the GOA or NRA your choice to further your impact.

Get on board people, both of these organizations need us. And they are both damn effective. The NRA because of their size and reputation, and GOA because they DO NOT compromise. They are a force make no mistake about that.

And now for the Soapbox portion of this message:

If you don't help, these groups are doing it anyway, just less effectively, so you are essentially free loading on the rest of the members.

Speaking for myself, if you can't afford it, really can't afford it, or choose to support other pro rights organizations, I am OK with that.

But if you're just lazy or too cheap to join, then I resent having to carry people like you. Lot's to do, easy to pass the buck, but my gun rights mean too damn much to me not to fight for them, and fight hard.

I'm glad that most of the best people I know are on my side!

16-Apr-14
Thanks to Ace I just rejoined the NRA as I had let my membership lapse. I could care less about crossbows, I think we have more important issues to deal with.

I must say though that I am disappointed with the NRA for endorsing Mitch McConnell for Senator in 2014.

17-Apr-14
I wish the NRA would have stuck to gun issues.

They got involved in Montana politics and sided with the game farm industry first. Sportsman across Montana were fighting for our wildlife and they took the wrong side. No side would have been better.

The sided with the outfitters on a bunch of issues too. I-161 was one of those.

The worked with the tea party during election time and got good moderate republicans defeated in primary elections.

I'll never be a NRA man again.

17-Apr-14
Hope that doesn't mean you don't support another 2nd amendment group w/ your time and your money.

18-Apr-14
I support a gambit of sportsman's groups. I even help found one. I spend my time fighting for access, ethics, the resource, and both trapping and hunting privileges and rights.

So what do you do?

18-Apr-14
This thread isn't about me or sporstmen conservation groups. I will tell you that I hunt/fish/trap and do or have supported most every major wildlife conservation group the Rocky Mtn. region has to offer and am a life member of several state bowhunting organizations in states which I hunt. I also support some hard working honest outfitters and trappers who sell their products and services to the hunting/trapping/fur trading community like my nephew in Montana when I fly fish the Mighty Mo.

If you don't support a 2nd Amendment group like NRA, GOA, some state chapter in your area or another 2nd Amendment organization you don't deserve the 2nd Amendment protections others are fighting to protect. Where are the ethics in that?

That is my opinion although several others here obviously disagree.

18-Apr-14
What is a good moderate republican?

18-Apr-14
"If you don't support a 2nd Amendment group like NRA, GOA, some state chapter in your area or another 2nd Amendment organization you don't deserve the 2nd Amendment protections others are fighting to protect."

Interesting...... fundamental rights eligibility measured according to check book donation to a political organization..

18-Apr-14

Shoots-Straight's Link
Any conservative that not affiliated with Tea Bagger rhetoric. Our Right wing groups fought against the wolf delisting, (Tester/Simpson rider). Against common sense issues. We tried to get a corner crossing bill so sportsman could hop from public lands to public lands. The Right wing tea baggers beat us on that. Said it damaged property rights and was a taking.

They want to test and slaughter our elk herds in the name of Brucellosis, and use hunter dollars to pay for game proof fencing around range lands.

They want Bison to be controlled by the Department of livestock.

They attack our stream access laws and side with the ultra wealthy to overturn them.

They back the ultra wealthy in trying to take our best hunting grounds. (See link) The guy that wrote the LTE is one of our Tea Bagger Senators, telling us whats good for us. He won't deny that label. He hates sportsmen.

They fought for a law that put limits on elk herds in the state of Montana, and those objectives were picked by the livestock industry.

So that's why I'm not joining or supporting the NRA here in Montana. They support the Tea Baggers here.

They are for gun rights though.

18-Apr-14
That is not an accurate portrayal of what I am saying BD.

Self protection is indeed a fundamental right. Every person on the planet deserves that right. Failure to support organized groups that defend that right is a failure of the individual to support those political organizations or even politicians that believe in that fundamental right. If you can't afford it, that is understandable. By your vote it is not, at least not to me. Your mileage may very.

18-Apr-14
SS, correct me if I am wrong.

You put sportsmens issues above the fundamental human rights of the individual to self protection.

As a Libertarian and TP supporter over establishment Republicans, I don't believe those two issues to be mutually exclusive in most cases. Though I must admit, I haven't given them much thought.

I think you have some confused TP legislators if all the cases you state are factual. I don't know about internal Montana politics to any great degree so find it difficult to respond to them.

I suspect, since you use the insulting liberal term "teabaggers", you may be painting the TP with an unnecessarily broad brush. That has been my experience with those who use the term. That, or they're not really conservatives at all.

29-Apr-14
Kyle...you need to close an HTML tag ;o)

• Sitka Gear