Narlyhorn 16-Apr-14
heis2178 16-Apr-14
Joey Ward 16-Apr-14
ar troy 16-Apr-14
14-Apr-14

Heis2178's embedded Photo
Hi all,

So I recently inherited two recurve bows from my Grandpa. One of them is a Behr, the other one has no marking on it. I'm not sure the exact time period the bow is from but I'm guessing the 50s or 60s since my dad hunted with the bows at one point when he was younger. I know that my Grandpa got the bows in Michigan (the lived in Midland Michigan) as well. I'll post some more pictures to follow. Does anyone know what kind of bow this might be? You can see the dimensions from this picture as well as the weight. I think the number above both of those holds the key.

Thanks,

Ryan

14-Apr-14

This is the stamp that is on the side of the bow which I think is the shop it was sold at.

14-Apr-14

This is a picture of the bow itself.

14-Apr-14
It looks to me like a vintage Fred Bear Kodiak. Probably from the 1960s. Can you show the flip side of the bow? Is there a medallion?

14-Apr-14
Post this on the Leatherwall section of Bowsite. They WILL know over there.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM

14-Apr-14
It's a Darton. The shape and the overlays say Darton, and they were made in Michigan. Like other companies, Darton made bows for Distributors/Shops like The Archery Center.

15-Apr-14

heis2178's embedded Photo
Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I am at work now, but I did take some more pictures last night with a better camera. I'll post them below (I zoomed in on the tips - that's the best I can do right now). Also note that is the original string and the original silencers, in case that is in some way helpful.

15-Apr-14

other side

15-Apr-14
Tiller looks good. Brace height is way too low. Hope you use an arm guard when shooting it.

And you need to move those brush buttons up the string. There'd have to be an awful lot of string travel for them to make limb contact.

Looks like an old Black Widow, btw. I think it's a KBYM model. Ken Beck Young Man.

;-)

15-Apr-14
"Tiller looks good. Brace height is way too low."

yeah... that's it. ;)

16-Apr-14
I love to see a bow without training wheels!

16-Apr-14
Uhhh.... Am I crazy, or is the bow strung wrong? Don't know much about real bows, but it sure looks like the string is on the wrong side to me.

16-Apr-14
Looks inside out to me...

And the nock point looks a tad high.

16-Apr-14
Some store their trad bows that way. I don't know if that will hurt them but I don't and wouldn't store em that way. I just unstring em and hang em on a pin from the upper between the limb and string.

Yes it's backwards. Joey and BD were saying so w/ humor.

Whether a Beck, Bear or Darton, it seems in good condition. Maybe a little twist on the lower limb. Perhaps from storing it strung up backwards or standing vertical on the floor. Can't say for sure.

16-Apr-14
Haha - clarification, the string is inside out. I did not string it up for this picture. That's why the nock point appears high. In any case, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think the serial number holds the key though, but I still don't know what it stands for.

16-Apr-14
In all seriousness, Mr. Stout is correct, as usual.

He's been around for a while. Matter of fact, his SSN is 000-00-0003.

;-)

16-Apr-14
Well crap, I kept waiting on someone to say something about the picture and nobody did. LOL I have an old recurve that looks nearly identical, thought maybe I had strung MINE wrong! I sure shoot it like I have!

• Sitka Gear