Heat 16-Apr-14
Shuteye 16-Apr-14
Shuteye 16-Apr-14
Dave G. 17-Apr-14
Shuteye 17-Apr-14
15-Apr-14

Shuteye's Link

16-Apr-14
Shuteye, I am almost embarrassed to admit I haven't heard of a genre called Roots. Yeehaw! New tractor music.

My grandson and I are listening to Lex right now. He wants me to tell you he is soo.. awesome. He is here cuddling on my lap as we lisen and read.

Thanks.

16-Apr-14
Roots music is a broad category of music including bluegrass, country music, gospel, old time music, jug bands, Appalachian folk, blues, Cajun and Native American music. The music is considered American either because it is native to the United States or because it developed there, out of foreign origins, to such a degree that it struck musicologists as something distinctly new. It is considered "roots music" because it served as the basis of music later developed in the United States, including rock and roll, rhythm and blues, and jazz.

16-Apr-14
I enjoyed the Grass Roots. They had variety.

16-Apr-14

juneaulongbow's Link
I like roots rock plus a lot of the other sub genres. The Gourds from Austin, TX have been one of my favorites for years. Since their indefinite hiatus I've been enjoying Shinyribs.

16-Apr-14

Shuteye's Link
I really like Amy Black, she can sing blues, country or about anything. Lex produced her album and is playing bass in the vido. He isn't in her band but often when artists record they get studio musicians to play the instruments. He often does short tours to release an album.

16-Apr-14
I'm a Bluegrass and Old Time Fiddler.

Wap

16-Apr-14
Love me some Old Crow Medicine Show. Are they considered "roots"? Either way, I'm happier listening to good ol Lester and Earl and big Bill than anything recorded in this century for the most part. That ought to tell you what I like.

16-Apr-14
Heat, Old Crow Medicine Show are roots and I really like them. The Carolina Chocolate Drops are great and I'll bet you would really like them. That gal can sure play a fiddle.Wapitidung would love her fiddle playing.

16-Apr-14
Nope but at least he won't reproduce if he survives.

17-Apr-14
Lex,

I worked with a guy (he's since retired) that grew up in the hills of western North Carolina and who had been making his own instruments - guitars, fiddles, ducimers, etc, since he was a kid.

He and a few of his buddies would get together every Thursday night (I don't know why Thursdays) and play music. I have to admit that I'm not big at listening to recorded Roots music, but I can sit and listen to it being played live all day long. I don't know why, but it just sounds so much better live.

17-Apr-14
I used to work sometimes in Georgia and there was a country store I used to visit and there would often be a girl playing a dulcimer. I would sit around a while and listen to her and she was pretty good.

• Sitka Gear