Salagi 02-Aug-14
Salagi 02-Aug-14
Hammer 02-Aug-14
Sharpstick 03-Aug-14
Sharpstick 03-Aug-14
Sharpstick 03-Aug-14
rtkreaper 03-Aug-14
30-Jul-14
Saw a few music threads a while back so I figured what the heck....

What are some of the best vocal performance's you have ever heard?

If you have video post it. It needs to be great!

I have 2 that are great and both are by Whitney Houston.

The 1st one is the national anthem. It gave me a shiver when I heard it live at that time. It still does.

The 2nd is I Love You Porgy/And I’m Telling You/I Have Nothing from the 94 AMA.

What say you?

31-Jul-14
This one surly needs an honorable mention.

Can you imagine the success they would have had if he had not died? Queen may have went down as the best.

31-Jul-14
Personally I hate vibrato!....A lil bit is fine but Whitney Houston is way over the top. Can't stand it.

I like tuff, scratchy voices like AC/DC, Bruce Springsting, Nickel back, CCR, James Brown, Janis Joplin and so on.

My singing voice is like that too.

31-Jul-14
Alice Cooper--Poison.

31-Jul-14
Live performance tells the tale. 'Course, a great sound stage and the venue makes a world of difference.

I'd have to say of all I 've seen perform on stage, and there have been many great ones, but.......

Female -- Linda Ronstadt

Male -- Steve Perry

Most surprised by --- the late great Jani Lane of Warrant :-)

31-Jul-14
I never liked queen but freddie was good.

One of my favorites is Patsy Cline...doing Willie Nelson's song Crazy.

31-Jul-14
Best live performance I ever heard was Dan Seals doing acoustic set in a beer tent at a fair . That guy's voice live was identical to his albums. Wife took the kids to ride rides and let me stay and listen to the whole concert. I had no idea he was there till we were walking by and heard him. Goes down as my best concert memory and it didn't even cost me a dime!!!

Hank Williams, Jr. - WORST concert I ever attended!!!

Statler Brothers was probably the most entertaining concert. Between songs they would keep you rolling.

Van Halen and Poison concerts were pretty cool!

Van Halen was the only concert I ever attended that sounded better with ear plugs in than out. Without it was so loud the music was just a roar. With them in it actually sounded like it was supposed to.

31-Jul-14
JTV,

You are sure right about Celtic Woman, especially Lisa Kelly's "May It Be" from Lord of the Rings.

All those ladies have unbelieveable range. "Danny Boy" and "Sail Away" are also good ones by Celtic Woman.

Oh yeah, they're easy to look at too. Every one of them.

31-Jul-14
555, I'm guessing that was with Diamond Dave up front?

The Sammy shows were sooooooo much better. Sound, songs, and the playing.

I have enjoyed the Poison shows too. But hey, that was the 80's. Lots of great live music back then. :-)

It's getting really hard to watch the old fat guys with the new young lead singers these days. :-(

Angus is still worthwhile, though. ;-)

31-Jul-14
Nope it was with Sammy. Would have been around 1991. The SIU Carbondale arena is round and the acoustics are horrible. It was an awesome show.

Funny thing, at SIUC the Frats are a very small minority. In fact most students look down on the Frats and Sors.

A Frat guy handed Sammy a Frat jacket and Sammy put it on. The crowd started boooooing. Sammy hurried up and took it off, handed back to the guy and said "here dude, think it's probably safer for you to wear this!"

Another fact about that show..... There was a murderer in the crowd and he was surrounded in the crowd by 10-20 plains clothes cops. They watched the whole show then took him down outside in the parking lot. He had murdered a lady a couple weeks before. The cops had finally figured it out and had searched his place that afternoon. They discovered he had plane tickets and was leaving the area after the concert.

31-Jul-14
Guess that's why I liked the 80's shows better. No Hell's Angels working security and all the potheads were less confrontational. ;-)

Don't read anything into that Mike B. LOL :-)

31-Jul-14
Derailing my own thread but this kid might have a future.

What a moon walk!

31-Jul-14
Sorry Hammer, but Whitney Houston lip-synched that Star Spangled Banner.

Look it up.

Whoever said, anything sung by Ann Wilson, was correct.

31-Jul-14
Ghost,

It doesn't matter. It was still awesome.

31-Jul-14
Bocelli,and this is just nuts but Marty Robbins

Godbless, Steve

31-Jul-14
Tough question. Probably the best for me was the Les Miserables performance in SF [NOT the movie!!!]

Phantom was pretty good too....

31-Jul-14

Doesn't get much better than this.

31-Jul-14
WW,

Patsy was and is the greatest female vocalist to ever grace country music.

31-Jul-14
Andrea Bocelli.....Con Te Partiro.....

This man was hit in the head with a soccer ball at age 13 and went completely blind. His voice is unmatched and his concerts are sold out 15 minutes after they are put up. We had 1st row center stage seats at the Bocelli/ Brightman Duo of this song. Understanding Italian I thought of my grandmother and my mother whom I have lost. The standing ovation was deafening with grown men weeping unashamedly as was I. He was not permitted to leave the stage by the audience. I have never witnessed such an outpouring of appreciation from a crowd like this before. He sings this song as a solo also and carries tone and tenor that is not possible. I believe the solo by Bocelli himself is absolutely incredible. He holds the last note for eternity. If you have a special woman in your life go with her to his performance. She will emerge extra special to you, and, you to her. Guaranteed.

The Rock

01-Aug-14
Rock,

He is good here too. One of my favorites. That and nessum dorma.

01-Aug-14
I too have to go with Andrea Bocelli. Hey. I'm a rock and roll guy but when I first heard that dude it literally brought tears to my eyes!

01-Aug-14
Hammer,

Great rendition.

rooster, I am a rock head from way back right up to QOTSA. This is a 180* no doubt. He turned me around gave me a different view.

The Rock

01-Aug-14

01-Aug-14
TD,

Cool vocal performance. It counts!

02-Aug-14
Karen Carpenter had a beautiful voice.

02-Aug-14

Salagi's Link
Patsy Cline is my all time number one female vocalist, but Alison Krauss runs her a close second.

02-Aug-14
Krauss is great.

02-Aug-14

Salagi's Link
Here's one I ran across today courtesy of my daughter. Not going to call it the best but they are good.

02-Aug-14

Salagi's Link
How about "instrumental vocals." Julianna Barwick performs "alternative music." She is very popular in Europe. Not really my cup of tea usually, but some of her stuff is extremely relaxing. What I think is unique about her music, is when she records it, she uses her own voice and loops it over and over along with the mechanical instruments she sometimes uses.

02-Aug-14
David,

Cool 1st link. I wonder if a thousand year ago our ancestors sat around making sweet sound like that? I cant imagine they didn't know how. Having a beat is natural and the sounds just naturally go with it.

03-Aug-14

" target="_blank" class="button">Sharpstick's Link

03-Aug-14

03-Aug-14

" target="_blank" class="button">Sharpstick's Link

03-Aug-14
The guy is a total freak, but Ozzie Osborn has an amazing voice. He can really sing with the right songs. Usually not my type of music, but ran across him kind of by accident again. Rory

• Sitka Gear