Narlyhorn 25-Aug-14
doug 25-Aug-14
HA/KS 25-Aug-14
Rocky 25-Aug-14
Narlyhorn 26-Aug-14
Owl 26-Aug-14
Kathi 28-Aug-14
08-Aug-14
This is an excellent article written by a reasoned reporter. Facts don't lie and detractors for legalizing pot were right. A high society isn't a good thing.

08-Aug-14
Actually just yesterday there was a story on yahoo saying crime and deaths were down.

Either way pot didn't do it people did. I guess guns are responsible for all those shot in Chicago last weekend too.

08-Aug-14
Dog is correct.

If more pot = more deaths, then less guns = less murders.

The solution to both is clear.

The government should intervene asap.

08-Aug-14
And here comes the bong logic....

08-Aug-14
Ya know, I typed out that last post trying to a bit of a smart - a$$, but in all reality, who knows what the solution to any of this stuff is..... There has to be a balance somewhere. It's not fair for me and mine to have irresponsible idiots running around with items/substances they can not handle. On the other side, it's not fair for the government to limit anything for me because I AM responsible. The laws/punishment are not enough to deter those who are irresponsible.

I want my freedoms. And I want to limit yours.

08-Aug-14

Dogsoldier's embedded Photo
Dogsoldier's embedded Photo
"I want my freedoms. And I want to limit yours."

Yes that is the way a lot of people see freedom. The complete opposite of freedom yet they don't see it.

Its not bong logic its just logic.

If pot causes crime then guns do too.

We all know the truth though and that is people cause crime. No one is going to take my guns because somebody else shot someone and no one will tell me what I can consume because somebody else committed a crime after consuming something.

Freedom!

09-Aug-14
The right to get baked and play the harpsichord in the park shall not be infringed.

09-Aug-14
The primary reason why people smoke MJ (recreationally) is to achieve a 'high' that occurs from the drug THC. This noticeably alters the personality to varying degrees, and thereby effects the thought patterns of the individual.

We can witness these changes even while wearing dark sunglasses at night.... ;^)

Different drugs alter these patterns in accordance with their own unique characteristics, with some being (typically) worse than others.

Holding a gun does not impart a mind altering drug into the brain of the armed person.

Therefore, this is a poor comparison to make IMO.

09-Aug-14
I am with JawBone on this one.

09-Aug-14
I know plenty of peaceful people that never hurt anyone while they were on a drug. Actually that's about everybody I know because EVERYONE uses some kind of drug.

I don't know anyone that doesn't use drugs for something. Everyone is a drug user but 99% of them are peaceful people that don't want to hurt anyone.

"Absolute power does not alter the thinking of people?"

LOL..I know!....Adrenaline,its a hell of a drug!

10-Aug-14
"And here comes the bong logic...."

WW, if we were guaranteed never to have any drug or alcohol issues in the world if we all turned in our guns...would you do it?

10-Aug-14
70lb, better question - would I promise to never use pot if it guaranteed the 2nd amendment would be left alone.

10-Aug-14
Article in Sunday paper recapitulates recent research WRT marijuana and its affects on the developing brain:

teenagers and young adults who frequently use marijuana may be damaging their brains over the long term. The American Psychological Association's data presented Saturday shows that the under 25 age group shows a cognitive decline, poor attention and memory and decreased IQ who smoked at least once a week.

"Marijuana use tends to begin in the later teens--around age 16 or 17--peaks in the early 20's and drops off between ages 23 and 25.

"Is it a coincidence that the use significantly goes down at 25 when the brain is at its full maturation?..."

Brain imaging studies have that abnormalities in the grey matter--which is associated with intelligence--have been found in 16- to 19- year olds whose pot smoking increased in the previous year..."

This article was sourced from USA Today.

10-Aug-14
""teenagers and young adults who frequently use marijuana may be damaging their brains over the long term.""

We have scientific proof among the Paulbots.;)

11-Aug-14
Again...AGAIN....NO ONE SAID IT WAS HARMLESS!!!

Its just that keeping it illegal is FAR MORE HARMFUL!.

Prohibition of pot and the drug war has killed more people, broken up more families, destroyed more lives, taken more of our liberties then any drug ever could.

The drug war is immoral,evil. The drug war is the devils idea. Jesus would never support it.

11-Aug-14
Immoral and evil based on what standard, Dog? What is your measuring stick for morality?

11-Aug-14

11-Aug-14
It is immoral and evil for anyone or government to tell others what they can and can't do with THEIR PROPERTY. I know we ALL agree on this.

"The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the law of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence." -John Adams

Stealing is evil and immoral, slavery is evil and immoral, murder is immoral and evil.

Personally I know these things are evil whether there is a God or not but Jesus said these things are evil as well and he would never be for a system such as the drug war that does all these things. Any follower, true follower of Jesus could never support the evils of the drug war. Jesus meant for us to be free to make our own choices.

11-Aug-14
"Personally I know these things are evil whether there is a God or not but Jesus said these things are evil as well and he would never be for a system such as the drug war that does all these things. Any follower, true follower of Jesus could never support the evils of the drug war. Jesus meant for us to be free to make our own choices."

Wait, which God are we talking about? The one that advocates free life, or the one that condemns free life?

There's more than one ya know!?!?

11-Aug-14
"...FAR MORE HARMFUL!"

Wonder what the relationship between pot use and the Obamafication of the past six years is?

11-Aug-14
I agree, in principle with Dog. Further, on a practical level, I cannot see why anyone would spend trillions of dollars in direct costs (untold more in lost productivity, etc)for substances that could be had in a matter of minutes or, at worst, hours in most urban and suburban environments.

Talk about "bong logic.";)

Again, nod to Dogsoldier, What many are actively ignoring is that seat belt laws, helmet laws and the epically unsuccessful "war on drugs" writes a pretext for almost complete state control. Enter Michelle's school lunch MANDATES, smoking bans, Bloomberg's soda war, salt war, anti-GUN war, etc... Politics is pretext.

If personal behavior becomes the purview of the state, the state will own everyone. We are seeing this unfold at an alarming rate, yet folks keep stubbornly insisting statism is the best way to defeat...statists. Good luck with that.

11-Aug-14
Here's what Christ has to say about 'body ownership':

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God?

You are not your own; you were bought at a price.

Therefore honor God with your bodies."

11-Aug-14
JawBow is correct. The attitude of some reminds me of the mantra of a six year old "When I grow up I can do whatever I want."

11-Aug-14
The government isn't God though.

We were to have freedom of choice. If you believe in God you know that he will be the judge in the end. If our bodys and souls are his then when he comes back he will claim them.

The war on drugs is truly the devils creation. It destroys lives and souls. If you believe in God you must see how satan uses it to destroy people.

An addict needs help and forgivness. The vast majority aren't addicts just occasional users like many beer drinkers that just drink on the weekends.

I knew many when I was younger that did drugs and never got caught. Those same people have good productive lives today. The ones that got caught...Well they don't. Once your arrested you are forced to admit to 2 things...Your an addict(whether they are or not)...your a criminal...That stays with you the rest of your life. There is no forgiveness in the criminal justice system.

"When I grow up I can do whatever I want."

Are you saying I shouldn't be able to do what I want with MY property? As long as I'm not hurting others its MY property NOT yours!

11-Aug-14
Government has temples, hierarchical leadership, mythology, mandatory tithing, and zealot apologists. So maybe some do actually see government as God.

11-Aug-14
Iv never seen anyone picked up while under the influence of gun. But I have seen people that were under the influence of MJ that could have!

11-Aug-14
I've never seen a joint accidentally go off and kill a child.

Not being a pain. Just playing devil's advocate using the same rationale -the kind of rationale that will be used to disarm people because they cannot be trusted with such lethality based solely on the actions of a few...

People have got to be universally strident about freedom (and consequences) should ANY liberty have a chance.

11-Aug-14
"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God?

You are not your own; you were bought at a price.

Therefore honor God with your bodies."

I wonder if the followers of Jim Jones were aware of that before he convinced them to drink the Kool-aid?

11-Aug-14

gflight's Link
“We are called upon to follow Jesus’s example in opposing the war on drugs, which has resulted in the United States becoming the world’s biggest jailer, with about 5% of the world’s population and 25% of the world’s prisoners,” added Sanders.

“Resurrection reality commissions and commands us to change these policies, laws and systems that rob whole communities of their most precious resource, their young. These are the ones Jesus faced betrayal, denial and desertion for. These are the ones Jesus gave up everything for. These are the issues Jesus was raised from a 3 day grave to speak truth to power to through our voices, through our crying loud and sparing not and through our organized efforts," added Jackson.

11-Aug-14
Coloweedo pot fatalities up?

fify

12-Aug-14
Here we go again. Yeesh.

Hard to believe so many can get their knickers in a twist over what so many MD's call a relatively benign substance.

Instead of pulling out the "Common Sense" card, they've pulled out their "Bible Card", and want to use a verse or two in an attempt to bring conviction to those with differing opinions.

Find another cause, because on this topic you're just...

photo beatdeadhorse.gif

12-Aug-14
Hey Mike,

Is that horse dead?....;^)

13-Aug-14
Well I'm in Amsterdam right now, and there are a couple of "coffee shops" on every block. Nobody died, or was shot. The restaurant and snack shop businesses are booming. You can get high just walking up the street.

13-Aug-14
If anyone wants to challenge those verses that deal with 'body ownership' you're certainly free to do so.

Just address what I posted without trying to put something on me that I didn't post.

And you can post partial quotes from the pastors in the Black community all you want to. Lord knows I agree with some of what they're saying...SOME.

Just don't accuse me of claiming to be the messiah with a bent on murdering my followers...please... heh heh

18-Aug-14
"It is immoral and evil for anyone or government to tell others what they can and can't do with THEIR PROPERTY. I know we ALL agree on this."

"....slavery is evil and immoral..."

???? Now YOU'RE telling someone what they can and c an't do with THEIR PROPERTY!

Be careful, they'll revoke your libertarian card!

23-Aug-14

HA/KS's Link
More bad news from Colorado

Two of seven harmful effects of pot legalization in CO that are covered at the link. It will be interesting to see how making it legal for everyone instead of just "medical" use will impact these stats.

6. From 2011 through 2013 there was a 57 percent increase in marijuana-related emergency room visits.

7. Hospitalizations related to marijuana has increased 82 percent since 2008.

23-Aug-14
Oh my! Colorado is becoming a criminal and public safety cesspool. Better quit coming here. Kansas or Illinois are much better destinations anyway.

23-Aug-14
Narly, immoral behavior has consequences.

24-Aug-14
Like using cigars and scotch?

24-Aug-14
Steve, I'm the only one who never does anything wrong :-)

24-Aug-14
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

That may be a catchy phrase and roll off the tongue just fine but the truth is only a gun can fire a bullet aided by the person behind it which can then be deadly. So even though it is not possible for the gun itself to kill, a person who chooses to use a gun to kill makes them both an accessory and a tool behind the crime and the killing. So guns do in fact kill.

If you accidently drop a gun and it fires and kills someone who is to be blamed? Well the person right? People kill people. Well what if that gun proved to have had a mechanical malfunction and should not have gone off even if dropped? Who then becomes the target? The manufacture? The owner? The gun? All of the above? The gun if not dropped would not have gone off. Correct? Who dropped the gun which in turn revealed the malfunction? Who or WHAT fired the fatal shot? The gun, the person?

You see how gun opponents view that "catchy" phrase we cling to in our defense.

Drugs don't kill people. People kill people. Right? Apply the same situation as stated above and a good attorney will make you wear your a$$ for a hat. You are stoked pretty good and have an accident which kills another person. Upon discovery it is noted that the vehicle had a mechanical problem, lets say brake cylinder failure. Who would be responsible for the death? The car? The person..(people kill people , right?) the drugs? All of the above?

It is not as cut and dried as people believe. People do indeed kill other people. The person is as liable as the instrument used and vica versa. No gun no gunshot. No gunshot no dead person. Right?

The Rock

25-Aug-14
"immoral behavior has consequences." Right you are HA.

Moral behavior needs to come from the individual, not the government.

There is no certainty that government can even be moral. History proves they cannot.

25-Aug-14
the people running this country making decisions came from the pot smoking hippie generation & their still puffin.

25-Aug-14
According to the Bible, the government does have moral authority. If you choose not to believe, that is between you and God:

Romans 13 1-2: Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

1 Peter 2:13-17: Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

25-Aug-14
Re-read Peter 2:13-17.

Come back and tell me again your interpretation of who is the government and of who it does consist according to this passage. You are mightily confused quoting the bible in regards to government.

The Rock

26-Aug-14
Despite attempts to give government moral authority with bible quotes, let's take a look at history, shall we.

It is common for the left to want ever expanding government powers by moral authority over the lives of individuals. Especially parents. You need look no further than Marx, Mao, Stalin or even some of our own government leadership to understand this to be true.

The examples are many. One from recent history is the struggle between parents and the state in regard to educating our own children.

The leftists in our own government would be happy to allow us to think the moral authority of God should be replaced or conflicted by the state. That should be obvious to anyone interested in honest evaluation of the truth.

With respect to drug laws, it is the primary responsibility of the parent or the individual to determine and teach that it is immoral to abuse or unnecessarily use any illegal or legal drugs, not the primary role of the state. This is government over reach and the proverbial slippery slope anyway you slice it IMO.

26-Aug-14
In America, the people are the governing authority who, via representation, vest their power in trustees (elected officials). If these people lie to get elected and then lie while in office to forward a clandestine agenda, then are we bound by Biblical mandates to submit?

I have never thought so.

28-Aug-14
Rocky...Really?? I have a lit joint and being toasted I drop it and burn a house down..am I at fault or the joint or whoever grew the plant?

Guns kill people? I have a gun and I lay it on the table..you come by and knock it off the table and it falls and goes off killing someone. Is that my fault, your fault or the guns fault?

One can carry blame to any degree but in most all cases people kill people. Put a gun and a joint on a table and 3 yrs. later neither will have moved. Neither will have caused any harm to a person.

Yes, people do kill people. Inanimate objects cannot without a little help from humans.

• Sitka Gear