Hammer 16-Aug-14
HA/KS 16-Aug-14
RJ Hunt 16-Aug-14
RJ Hunt 16-Aug-14
Kathi 17-Aug-14
Steve CO 02-Sep-14
15-Aug-14

Hammer's Link
OMG this is awful. She was honest and has a CCW and volunteered that info when she was pulled over by the cops for a minor traffic offence and now she may go to prison for a long time. This is a shame and a sham! They should drop the charges. 'They will turn a person with NO criminal record that was trying to protect herself from criminals into a criminal herself'

She is a single mom and was robbed twice last year and got the gun to protect her and her 2 kids. She had the gun for only one week. In this case I think ignorance of the law is a proper resolution. Let her go!

If you carry you had better know the gun laws if your go state to state and if you are not sure then DO NOT tell the cop you have a weapon in the car unless he directly ask you because you may end up in jail for a long time due to a honest mistake.

Just heard the Ray Rice angle on this on Fox where he was given a lot of latitude by the same judge and he was allowed a diversion program for 1st offences and was able to avoid jail time and a criminal conviction but this women is getting no fair play in that regard at all. Her lawyer even told the prosecutor that she is willing to take a two game suspension as well just like Ray Rice did. LOL..... The prosecutor didn't bite. What a tool the prosecutor and judge are! Fair should be fair except with this women she didn't purposely brake the law and commit an assault like Rice did. WTH! We should all rally around this lady and write those prosecuting the case.

Here is the clip.

15-Aug-14
Double Post "edit" ...sorry!

15-Aug-14
"The Right to keep and bear arms....not to be infringed upon!" .... that says it all and is the Law of the Land, no matter what 'state' you are in! .......Government, our elected and appointed officials that "work for us" need to KNOW THE LAW! .... and those that don't need removed from Our Offices! ... and if necessary arrested and prosecuted for TREASON against the legal American citizens and Our Laws!

15-Aug-14
"If you carry you had better know the gun laws if your go state to state and if you are not sure then DO NOT tell the cop you have a weapon in the car unless he directly ask you because you may end up in jail for a long time due to a honest mistake."

-Hammer, In VA, my CWP is linked to my license so if they stop me, they know I have it. Given they will know that in the course of the stop, I have to tell them. If I don't volunteer whether I have a firearm, I am in violation of the law. I can only guess that info is available to any LE agency that types in my info.

That stated, in MD, a VA driver got stopped, he responsibly told LE he had a weapon and he was arrested on the spot...You are right, you gotta know the laws.

Shaneen should not have even cited much less prosecuted. A single working mom - she is the kind of person who needs a gun most. Gun laws hurt women, the elderly and poor the most. The real "war on women" (and everyone else) is being carried out by progressives.

15-Aug-14
The NRA should be on this like ugly on an ape!!!!

15-Aug-14
There is a huge message here....better know the gun laws when you travel to other states with fire arms. I know so many people that have gotten in trouble this way in hunting situations....it's BS but it's your own fault.

15-Aug-14
SA,

It may be your own fault for not knowing the laws but then again it is not your fault there is a law that's unconstitutional to start with. There should be no gun law that lets someone carry in one state and then not in another. If they are going to make these stupid laws they should just make it universal and if you carry in your home state you should be able to in any state.

By the way how did those people you know get in trouble in hunting situations? Where they carrying a handgun? Certainly they didn't get in trouble for their rifles?

15-Aug-14
And this, NJ law, is why Chris Christie should not get the GOP presidential nomination. And I believe that stuff like this will keep him off the ticket.

15-Aug-14
Where are the NAACP and ACLU?

Where are Jackson, obama, and sharpton?

15-Aug-14
Is the NRA or any other pro gun group stepping in to help her? Is there a fund for her defense and personal expenses? I'd contribute, how about you-all?

15-Aug-14

Anony Mouse's Link
Matt: MI law requires one to inform a LEO that one is carrying when stopped. Of course, you knew that ;o)

Everyone that carries and travels should bookmark this website:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Tools provided will allow one to plan a trip and know what different state laws will apply. It is one of the best sites for 2A law information.

If Christie wanted a chance to run in 2016, he should have dealt with this travesty immediately and cancelled all charges.

15-Aug-14
Mouse, I'm not sure that Christie has that authority. If he does and didn't, then he is as bad as I thought.

Does the judge have discretion, does LE? In many places there are mandatory sentences for certain gun law violations, etc.

To me, this is a cut and dried case of no criminal intent, no crime.

15-Aug-14
Jack,

The judge and the cop told her that her honesty got her busted and she should have not said anything. That was my point.

15-Aug-14
So maybe the best she can hope for is jury nullification?

16-Aug-14
I believe this law was challenged to the SCOTUS and was upheld, but am not sure. the case was about a man who was traveling through or moving to? I don't remember for sure but i think it happened right after Heller V DC. It is a terrible law and very sad for this woman, who is also a working single mom.

16-Aug-14
Lucas,

I think in the end that Chris Christie commuted the guys sentence your talking about.

16-Aug-14
The governor has that power, but probably only after a case goes through the courts.

16-Aug-14
"You are probably right, Lucas but that doesn't matter, ultimately, it is the people who are the final arbiters of what is Constitutional. We have options to fix this if we will avail ourselves of them."

Yes I agree but must say last night was a date night with my wife so we drove the 35 miles to Portland to go out for dinner. If you guys could see the voting populace here. Men are no longer men, and if they try to be they get beat down by the majority of liberals. Sat next to a group of she-men and all they talked about was the importance of the EPA to make laws regarding the implementation of electric cars and how they should be able to sleep in all day and work the hours they wanted to. Must have been my pulling up in my straight piped cummins diesel stirring them up. It is sad gents. And these men had children with them. That show portlandia-no BS. Is pretty sad. They were the majority. Tides have swung my friends.

16-Aug-14
Maybe was just the neighborhood I was in but it was pretty prevalent.

17-Aug-14
Jack, just checking out your map of gun laws and I must say...the laws are screwy but thanks for posting for our upcoming trip.

02-Sep-14

Steve CO's Link
I did find a link to a legal defense fund for this woman. She needs all the help she can get...

• Sitka Gear