Anony Mouse 15-Sep-14
DL 15-Sep-14
Mint 16-Sep-14
Jim Moore 16-Sep-14
HA/KS 16-Sep-14
Anony Mouse 16-Sep-14
Grunt-N-Gobble 16-Sep-14
23-Aug-14
I hate upgrading my computer but it is probably time. The system is an 8 year old Dell.

I am still using Windows Vista. The system has I think 2G of RAM and a 140G hard drive which is only about 1/3 full. The chip is an Intel Core 2 at 1.86 GHz.

So, I do not do any high-powered gaming, graphics, video editing, etc. But, the current system bogs down if I try to use any but my Opera 12 Browser.

I am using the 2006 version of Windows Mail for e-mail.

I do use MS Office.

Any good advice on what to upgrade to and how to upgrade without losing my current information?

23-Aug-14
Henry...if you are still using Vista, you may have a long learning curve with Win 8. Try it out at a store.

Excluding a Windows computer, your options become limited...move to the Apple environment (premium cost) or a Chromebook. Again, play with them in a store.

I have seen a lot of Chromes in our BYOD schools. I think they are a good value and easier to use than Win 8. They are based on a browser/cloud operating system.

You could also go Linux.

WRT backup. USB memory sticks and hard drives are relatively cheap these days to back up your present data: files, emails, photos, etc.

Also look at open source Libre Office. Free and as functional. My son used it all through high school.

I'll email you later this weekend...Kathi and Bob Seabolt visiting and B4K today.

23-Aug-14
Look into Windows 7. Dell still sells and supports Windows 7 PCs (as does Lenovoa and few others) and not too bad on price.

23-Aug-14
Don't use windows 8! It sucks for us old timers that are used to the original windows style.

23-Aug-14
It's a wonder I didn't get Windows 8. My last two computers have been ME and then Vista. My recommendation is to find what OS I am buying and get something different.

23-Aug-14
Thursday I bought a refurbished Dell off of Amazon for $125. It's way better than the Dell I had. It comes with Windows 7.

23-Aug-14
I mainly use my iPhone anymore. Everytime I open my PC laptop it says I have to do upgrades on Java and other junk. If I want to use it I waste 1/2 hour of upgrading, shutting down and restarts. It's a faurly new dell with windows 7. This will be the last PC I get. I'm going to Apple. My son did and my wife did. They don't have to do this plus they don't have to purchase software like Webroot or other types if anti spyware.

24-Aug-14
Stay away from Win 8 - the worst OS ever. Win 7 is OK.

If you are adventurous, make the move to Mac.

24-Aug-14
Apples are for people who want their computer to tell them what to do - and pay a higher price for the privilege. Windows is the PC attempt to make all computers like Apples.

25-Aug-14
WOW Henry, you have a Vista machine that's 8 years old and its still running..... That has to be some kind of record!!!!!! Vista generally couldn't make it past the first 5 minutes after boot up!

Apple stuff is WAY over priced! Anymore, its the same hardware as any other PC. Strictly over paying for the software and name! Software isn't anymore reliable or faster than Windows.

Look around online. You should still be able to get machines with Windows 7. I've been running Windows 7 on several machines since day one with very, very few problems.

25-Aug-14
From now on I will only buy the overpriced Mac's. It took me time to figure out how to use them but they are awesome and bullet proof for us after 5 years. Never even had one issue. The best IMO. Super fast. Now I want a Mac laptop.

My current laptop is an HP with windows 7 and I am starting to have issues. Keeps giving the blue screen of death and performing a physical memory dump and restarting. Cant figure out the issue. It runs slow but I have downloaded very little to it since it was new and the memory is no where near full. Get a high CPU usage message often and sometimes sites like Netflix will not work giving a message my memory is full and it cant run the show. My memory is no where near full.

My yahoo page and bowsite page etc will turn white out of the blue. When that happens all I have is the main search bar and my favorites bar left on the screen but no matter what favorite I click I have a white screen. I have to close it but 90% of the time it wont let me close and reopen so I have to do a Control Alt Delete and log off and then reopen. Very annoying

25-Aug-14
"WOW Henry, you have a Vista machine that's 8 years old and its still running....."

I don't know that that is even possible unless it was the beta version. My wife's computer has been running Windows Vista since Vista first came out of beta ... either very late '06 or very early '07. I forget exactly when ...

25-Aug-14
I like Dell. Get windows 7 if you can. Refurbished is good but I buy them directly from Dell. Don't spend a lot of money. Keep all your data on backed up external drives. It will last you for another 8 years.

25-Aug-14
I had a computer built for me last Nov. They...Microdome in Madison, In. said that Win 8 sucked..not their words but something to that effect. I have Win 7 and it works just fine.

26-Aug-14
The Dell I ordered last week arrived today and I have it up and running with Win 7. So far, so good. First post on the Bowsite with it.

26-Aug-14
Sarge, I remember that I got it about right when Dell started selling them with Vista. It may have been that they even delayed shipping on my machine because I wanted to get the new OS - thinking that it would delay my next upgrade. I don't remember for sure.

Looking back at the files, I see two dates 11/06 and 5/07. Maybe it's only 7.25 years old!

27-Aug-14
lol About the same as my wife's. And it's about toast too. :0)

27-Aug-14
Your old still functioning computers can still have life within them...

When replacing your old, worn and still functioning computers, it can be well worthwhile putting one of the small memory footprint Linux distros on them. Needing less memory to run than Windows, they may actually run almost like a new computer.

Most of the Linux distros have graphical user interface (GUI)that includes software to do most of the tasks used by general users: web browsing, email, videos, pics...and recently added the ability to run many games.

While always nice to get a new computer as tech advances, the rejuvenation of an older, working computer provides a back up system and the opportunity to easily learn Linux.

If you ever decide to donate you old technology, make sure you wipe the hard drive. A simple "delete" or "format c" will not destroy the data. There are a number of open source programs that will overwrite the hard drive.

I have sometimes been gifted old laptops that are no longer wanted and clean them up, install Linux and make it look and act very similarly to Windows and donate them to local charities that pass them on.

27-Aug-14
"make sure you wipe the hard drive"

IRS can provide the details on how to do this.

28-Aug-14
Our local computer store wants $65 for just an empty tower case for guys who want to build their own. I wouldn't have a clue how to build one.

28-Aug-14
We are in the same dilema, need a new tower, are now using Windows XP but no support now. Everyone says no to Windows 8 and we assume Windows 7 is soon to be abandoned. Don't have any idea what 8.1 amounts to.

28-Aug-14

Anony Mouse's embedded Photo
Anony Mouse's embedded Photo
8.1 is not going to be that leap to correct the multiple fails of Win 8.

Word has it that Win 9 is being pushed forward because of the bad image that Win 8 has garnered. Win 8.1 was supposed to have a return of the expected Start menu, but that has been pushed to 9. It may be available as soon as 30 Sept.

For those interested, a couple links:

Windows 9 release date, news and rumors

Update: It seems that we might see the newest Windows as soon as September 30 in a preview event held by Microsoft. Also, we hope you like Cortana. Details below! With Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1, Microsoft tried – not entirely successfully – to make tablets part of a continuum that goes from number-crunching workstations and high-end gaming rigs through all-in-one touchscreen media systems and thin-and light notebooks down to slender touch tablets. The general consensus is that it still has a long way to go to produce a unified OS. Despite rumors of an aggressive development and shipping schedule, there's no official word about what's in the next version of Windows, but there are plenty of rumors (many of them from Chinese enthusiast sites that claim to have leaked builds), plus more reliable information from job postings for the Windows and Windows Phone teams. (much more at link)

Will Windows 9 go free to tempt us into an upgrade?

Windows 9 news is coming at a faster clip now that we're drawing closer to its likely September 30 debut, and the latest concerns the new OS's price. According to Russian leaker WZOR (via Myce) Microsoft is planning some nice incentives to get folks to upgrade to Windows 9. For Windows 8.1 users who want to make the jump, WZOR reports Windows 9 will either come free or be available through a special offer. We'd put our money on it going the free route since Windows 8.1 arrived at no charge for Windows 8 users. If you bought a retail or OEM flavor of the Windows 8, Microsoft will apparently throw you a Windows 9 upgrade for around $20 (about £12, AU$21). Finally, since Windows XP holdouts are still numbering more than Microsoft would like, despite the company ending support earlier this year, the firm is said to be planning an "awesome" incentive to get XP users to cave in to Windows 9. (continued at link)

There is also a BIG movement in Microsoft to rebrand IE with a new name due to its negative reputation WRT security and other aspects when compared to other browsers.

IMHO, if I were to purchase a computer today with MS's OS, and did not want to spend the premium dollar to enter the Apple realm, I would find one that had Win 7 or get a custom built desktop with that same OS. Win 7 should give one a number of years good use before MS ends all support a la XP. That would give one time to see just where MS is taking its operating system.

I jumped off the MS bandwagon a number of years ago when I realized I was running open source software for most of my computing under XP:Firefox, Thunderbird (email), OpenOffice(now Libre Office)as a MS Office equivalent, etc. These programs looked and acted exactly the same under Linux as they did on MS. Because of this, the learning curve of the new OS was minimal.

I am presently running Mint Linux 16 (Cinnamon)on a 5-6 year old Toshiba laptop. Interface is clean (I used Cairo Dock to make a Mac-like dock at the bottom). As you can see from the screen shot above, it is simple, clean and gives me access to all the programs I regularly use. I also usually run with 4 workspaces, so I can keep things separate and easily switch between them.

This older laptop runs much better than my much newer Toshiba ultrabook running Win 7 (I rarely use this computer and only keep Win on it for study purposes. I would wipe and install Linux, but at this time the small solid state HD needs to be upgraded to a larger drive.

jack

28-Aug-14
It's my understanding that Windows 8 was designed with moblie phone users in mind ... hence the "touch screen". It doesn't translate to PCs very well. Windows 8.1 was an attepmt (futile IMO) to answer for that and the many other deficiencies/shortcomings of Windows 8, and leaves a lot to be desired as well.

29-Aug-14
TOS: pretty much correct. MS wanted Win 8 to be a "universal" OS for computers, tablets and phones, which on the surface may have been a great idea.

However, in its implementation they really missed the target.

1. Not every computer has a touch screen, making that facet a non-starter for many users. Touch screen and live tiles necessitates faster processors and more RAM, making many existing machines un-upgradeable to the latest OS in light of the end of Win XP.

2. Their live tiles is predicated on broadband Internet connection all the time...again, for many users either not cost effective or possible.

3. They forgot their user base when they dropped a familiar interface to adopt the new Metro and hid the much more familiar and comfortable "Start" menu. This was probably the biggest FAIL and will not be addressed in the Win 8.1 or Win 8.2 update (Supposedly the start menu will return with Win 9).

Win 9 may be a return to reason for MS and acceptance that many of their users are not geeky and just want to be comfortable with what they are used to. From what I have read, MS is looking towards a future where the operating system will be provided as a subscription service, much like the changes being seen in MS Office, which is headed towards a cloud based program.

That future can be seen with the Chrome OS, where the operating system is browser based and program and data found on cloud storage. If I were to get a new computer and not want to spend premium money to get into the Apple environment, I would probably choose Chrome over a MS Windows computer. I think MS has seen the popularity and are going to introduce a "chromebook-like" computer based on Windows in the very near future.

29-Aug-14
IMO, software companies are missing a huge market - older users. We would gladly upgrade my mom's computer (she really needs it), but it would be impossible for her to learn a new system. She has Alzheimer's. She still loves to send and receive e-mails. Sometimes she gets confused, but learning to use a new computer is impossible.

In addition to people who can't learn a new system, there are also many of us who would rather not. All of this is driven by "kids" (who may be in their 40's and 50's) who are the geeks running these companies and do not understand the needs of mature users.

I had a high school computer whiz tell me today that Windows 8 is the only way to go.

29-Aug-14
My computer crashed late Wednesday because I spilled a drink on the keyboard. I'd been thinking about getting a new one anyway, so when I learned it would cost $250 to fix it, but I could buy a new and better one for $400, the decision was easy.

Transferring all the files, photos and data over was a PITA. Then I had to load in all the programs again. Bigger PITA!

However, now that it's all done, it was worth it.

29-Aug-14
I sent Henry an email that touched on older users a while ago and thought I would share.

My 93 old mother is by no means anywhere near computer savvy, but has use of a computer for the simple tasks that she wants to use a computer for.

I took an old Toshiba laptop and installed a lite Linux on it (one that had much little overhead compared to Win XP). Testing it, it ran very fast for such older technology.

I then used Linux's ability for customization and created a very simple homepage with icons for each program (she does not need/want games and such):

email: Thunderbird (preloaded many email addresses) web browser: Firefox (with appropriate add-ons) Skype (preloaded contacts) Abiword for writing Pandora Pictures Videos Printer

I set up some easy menus, such as save to ****, where she can save pics easily to different files. My sister set up her wireless connection when she got the computer.

Bottom line: it is easy to set up a simple interface for computer usage by non-users. If my mom can run a computer, just about anyone can!

Kyle: For the past year or so I have been saving files (photos, data, and other files in duplicate: on the hard drive and on an external drive. Easy backup from the external. In most cases, you can do the same with program files...run them from the computer (faster)and easy restore or transfer to another computer. I also store a lot of pics and files on several cloud servers. Cloud storage is nice for a lot of stuff as the files are accessible from multiple devices (phones, tablets, etc.)

29-Aug-14
Nobody I mean Nobody uses the KISS method anymore! What was wrong with the old systems?? I had Windows professional it worked great and was simple to use!

29-Aug-14
Pat, I had DOS and thought the same thing.

29-Aug-14

Anony Mouse's Link

31-Aug-14
I just realized that I am only 3 computers away from my Commodore 64! I hate upgrading.

15-Sep-14

Anony Mouse's Link
This applies to most computers...and may be of some value to many here:

How to Take Care of the Hard Drive in Your Windows Machine

The hard drive isn't the most spectacular bit of hardware, but it's essential to keep your PC running smoothly. If it goes kaput, it takes all of your precious data and your applications with it. So to keep your hard drive happy, healthy and running smoothly by following these straightforward tips.

We're focusing on traditional hard drives here, the large capacity disks more commonly found in desktops and all-in-ones. If you've got a nippy SSD installed in your system then a lot of these points don't apply, as there are no moving parts and data is automatically optimized...(continued at link)

15-Sep-14
It appears that everyone that bad mouths apple has never owned one. My 2 year old Dell laptop will be my last PC. One of my sons went to a Mac and uses it in his business and in his photography he does. I hate the constant upgrade of everything everytime I open my laptop up. Then there is the virus protection issues that apple doesn't have. I've so use to using my IPhone for everything I just quit using my PC.

16-Sep-14
I'm in the market myself. My laptop from 2006 that has Windows XP on it won't be supported any longer.

I'm thinking about going the MAC route but I'm not sure if the tax files I have will be able to transfer over.

I have a Canon GL2 video camera and want to do some video editing so I'm guessing the MAC will be tailor made for that.

I'll have to do some research but if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

16-Sep-14
About 2.5 weeks ago, my work computer (Dell Laptop) Went Tango Uniform. Blue screen, memory dump, wouldn't safe boot. My IT folks had me send it in and the hard drive had crashed. According to them, they are seeing the hard drives on these things only lasting 3 years or so. Interestingly enough, it was about 3 years ago I had another Dell laptop die the same, grisly death.

The two machines I have at home are a Vista desktop (I loathe Vista) and about a year old ASUS laptop w/Win 7 on it that I use for most of my computing. It does like to restart itself sometimes when you are right in the middle of something. Its always updating Java, MS upgrades and patches, etc. Kind of a pain.

I may go to a Mac when those go away. One thing I don't like about Apple is they are so proprietary or so it seems to me. And spendy.

16-Sep-14
Jim, Apple is the computer version of anti-libertarian.

I'd say that PC is the computer version of anarchy - or at best on the fringe of libertarianism.

16-Sep-14
FWIW, it is possible to run the Mac OS on non-Apple computers. Purchasing a Mac, you are paying a premium price for basically the same internal components.

My daughter, Carrie (the artist)is deeply embedded into the Apple environment, using both computer and tablet in her work and wildlife photography for the simple fact that the Apple software excels for her needs.

I often have the need to do something "Mac-ish" and run OSX in Virtual Box with no problems on both Windows and Linux laptops. There are a few features that I like about the Apple operating system and have found similar features to use with Linux (Cairo Dock).

Apple's popularity has increased its becoming more of a target for mischief as seen on Windows machines...there are virus and malware attacks directed towards the Mac OS, so one needs to have the same sort of awareness as the seen with MS.

Apple's big advantage is in the area of graphics...and that is really only appreciated if one does a lot of photo manipulations or graphics applications. Besides that, Apple has invested heavily and made many dependent on its media offerings (available on all platforms)and its integration into its OS.

One of these days, I think I will try and find the time to install OSX on a Windows computer directly to really test its compatibility with Windows hardware. I just have a hard time to justify spending a lot of money for a Mac when most of the work I do on a computer can be done so much more cheaply. Too often we tend to spend and purchase computers that we never ever use to fullest.

I always tell my friends asking about what computer to buy to list just what they will be using them for. Most of us do little but surf, email, Skype, and store/fix photos(Serious gaming is a whole 'nuther thing and since I have never had an interest, have little real knowledge or experience). Whatever, do not let the salesperson make you buy more computing than you need.

jack, on his >5.5 year old Toshiba Satellite running Mint Linux.

16-Sep-14
I really like my Mac that I use at work, but it was a PITA at first since I used a regular PC forever.

However, after having it for a year, I did end up getting nailed with some sort of JavaScript virus (I think) that locked up safari. It was a scam from some place in india according to the web address. We had to reset safari and all is good now, but it just goes to show they are vulnerable to attack.

When it's time for a new home computer, it's probably gonna be a Mac.

• Sitka Gear