Woods Walker 30-Aug-14
sureshot 30-Aug-14
Hammer 30-Aug-14
sureshot 30-Aug-14
Woods Walker 30-Aug-14
Hammer 30-Aug-14
26-Aug-14

Hammer's Link
Looks like BK is buying a foreign company just to avoid the US insane corporate tax. Now they will headquarter all their foreign profits in Canada to save 15% corporate tax.

LMAO... Many companies have done this and more and more are considering doing the same corporate inversion.

Our govt is dumb as sh#$!

26-Aug-14
Seems logical to me, I am a firm believer in eliminating all corporate tax.

26-Aug-14
Good for them!

26-Aug-14
Sureshot,

No need to do that but you would think the US would make a prudent move and lower it so it is the same as most developed nations.

People want to have their corporations and money here and we should make sure we give them a way to keep it here instead of purposely pushing them away.

By the way does anyone remember when Canada's economy and money was a joke? I do. Now their money is worth more than ours and I believe their economy is buzzing along. My how the tables are turning.

When Obama said spread the wealth around I dint think he meant give it to other nations. lol

26-Aug-14
Hey...we're talking about other peoples' money here.

Obamunism depends on that source as its plantation inhabitants have none.

26-Aug-14
I am with sureshot. Eliminate all corporate tax.

26-Aug-14
Dems blame Burger King when the real culprit is Dem tax policies!

26-Aug-14
Is it really a US company when a Brazilian investment group owns 51 percent

What is the difference between Canadian and US corporate tax Not much For the merger to go through the Canadian company required the Corporate move

26-Aug-14
Huntcell,

BZZZZTTT!!

WRONG!

Canada’s corporate tax rate is 15%. That's considerably lower than the American corporate tax rate of 35%, thanks in large part to the conservative Canadian government led by Stephen Harper. The Harper government lowered the federal tax rate to 15% in 2012 down originally from 28% since it took office in 2006.

Ontario has an 11.5% corporate rate that will affect BK, but in the US, most states also have a fairly high corporate tax rate. BK will save tens of millions by moving to Canada.

26-Aug-14
Makes me want to go have a shake and fries. BK makes both of them great.

26-Aug-14
Bowsite's plague, the azzhat liberal troll with infinite names is back.

Must have been released from the institution prematurely!

26-Aug-14
Never understood why Mc D's does so much better considering BK's food taste better

26-Aug-14
"if you don't pay your taxes, you're no patriot or American for that matter." Tell that to the Ferguson rioters.

26-Aug-14
Henry,

Don't feed the trolls!

It's Mavery, Carl in RI, et. al!

26-Aug-14
We are at the point in the devolution of our country that PAYING taxes is unpatriotic. More power to BK. There is zero reason an international corporation should hamstring itself with inordinately high taxes.

26-Aug-14
Good thing I was not in charge back in the day because there never would have been a corporate tax to start with. Tax the income that each individual person makes and that's it!

I personally do not think we should have a corporate tax but since we do and it is not going anywhere then it should at least be reasonable and competitive so business quit leaving the USA. Why make billions overseas and then pay a huge tax here? Kinda dumb if you ask me. I would move my headquarters too.

BUCKHUNTER,

1st off they do pay their fair share. In fact they and the rich pay most of the tax revenue. However if a corporation wants to headquarter in another country so the income they generate is taxed at a reasonable rate then who are we to complain when we drove them to it? Should they pay their fair share and not do this with their foreign income too? Keep in mind the money they make here will still be taxed at a fair share rate but the money made in other countries wouldn't be. Instead Canada gets it. You think that's not fair or somehow unpatriotic?

26-Aug-14
Hammer,

1. Don't feed the trolls!

2. McDonald's product and service is far more consistent from store to store than is Burger King's.

3. Burger King's fries are horrible beyond description, while Mickey D's fries are very good.

26-Aug-14
Nvu,

I think BK is better regardless of the spot. I do like MC D fries best though.

26-Aug-14
As far as I'm concerned, if you don't pay your taxes, you're no patriot or American for that matter. And your dumber than a box of rocks, Corps don't pay taxes their customers pay their taxes!

26-Aug-14
Pat C.,

BS!

If you have better opportunities to improve your bottom line and don't, you ought to be fired by your shareholders!

The problem lies not with companies that flee from high tax rates. The problem lies with politicians who impose high tax rates!

26-Aug-14
Corps don't pay taxes their customers pay their taxes!

Bingo

Pat wins it.

26-Aug-14
Really Pat? What if the tax was 50%? would you still be saying that? At what point is it no longer unpatriotic when a company bails and headquarters elsewhere? 50%? 75%?

Our corporate tax is wayyyyyyyy higher than anywhere else. Americans are retarded if they think this wont keep getting worse and worse. Lower the corporate tax to be competitive to the rest of the world and this stops it in its tracks

26-Aug-14
LMAO.....RJ......Ya sure they do. When was the last time you filed your taxes and checked the box to pay your corp tax? If the cust pays then why is the Corp paying the 35% or bailing the USA to avoid it.

The theory does not hold water IMO. It is not cheap for a Corp to headquarter elsewhere when they are already here so that tells us a little.

26-Aug-14
"Corps don't pay taxes their customers pay their taxes!"

True as this is, what you are asking is that a liberal has to understand the basic laws of economics, which of course they've proved time and time again they are incapable of doing.

27-Aug-14
Don't mean to hijack, but quite frankly, if every Burger King (and every other fast food joint for that matter) were to disappear and be replaced by a little mom & pop type diner, I'd consider it a giant leap forward.

I don't want fast food, I want good food.

Except of course "yo quiero Taco Bell" :^)

27-Aug-14
"Corps don't pay taxes their customers pay their taxes!"

-While true to a point, that is another fundamental reason taxes should be low. Corporation taxes are really just another hit at the personal level. It is a form of regressive taxation at that.

If you hate freedom, choice and your neighbor, clamor for higher taxes.

27-Aug-14
Lets not forget that BK will still pay corporate tax on all the profits they make here in the USA. They just wont need to pay the US corporate taxes on foreign profits anymore though.

Not sure why anyone would take issue with that?

27-Aug-14
Buckhunter Al,

The reason to eliminate corporate tax is quite simple. This would spur the growth of buisness in the US. Who do you think pays corporate tax? Correct, the customers of the buisness. Wouldn't we all be better off if we had so many jobs that companies had to increase pay and benefits to retain the best workers? Pushing higher corporate taxes is not a good economic strategy, it is simply a way to get votes. People have a tough time grasping the concept, but if personal income tax rates were left alone, I would bet that eliminating corporate tax would add money to the bottom line for the federal govt. If you really want to see things go, eliminate the IRS as we know it by doing away with all income tax and go to a straight sales tax.

The government has done a great job of selling corporations as these horrible monsters that pay little in taxes. Have you seriously ever thought about where the dollars to pay those taxes come from though? Corporation taxes are nothing more than another tax on you and I. Another example would be the medical device tax to phelp pay for Obamacare, taxing a medical device will lower health care costs? No, but taxing those dirty medical supply companies gets more votes than telling ignorant people that they are getting taxed, because most of them are not intelligent enough to figure out they are the ones paying these corporate taxes every time they purchase something.

27-Aug-14
We've got a tax code that is encouraging flight of jobs and outsourcing. And that's why we've specifically recommended ... that Congress change our tax code so that we stop giving tax breaks to companies that are moving to Mexico and China and other places, and start putting those tax breaks into companies that are investing here in the United States.

BARACK OBAMA, debate, Oct. 12, 2004

27-Aug-14
Sureshot,

We could say any business owner regardless of whether they are a corp or not are passing along his taxes onto the consumer right?

27-Aug-14
That is correct Hammer.

27-Aug-14
A front page story in the Reno paper this morning mirrors what BK did.

A California company has announced it is relocating to Reno, thereby removing 400 individual taxpayers and their business from the CA tax roles. Their new employees in NV will pay no state income tax (NV doesn't have an income tax) and the company will pay lower taxes in its' new state.

27-Aug-14
I haven't been to BK in awhile. Think that will go there for lunch today.

27-Aug-14
BK has the worst French fries in the world. Simply awful! Their onion rings, however, are very good.

27-Aug-14
Hackbow is correct in thinking progressive tax rates smother small business and favor crony capitalism. Especially with a 70,000 page tax code. Tax rates, like heavy regulation, effectively condense the free market into state run capitalism. Conceptionally, it is elitist and and it is evil.

Frankly, I love rich people and rich companies. A poor man never rang my phone and contracted work. But, on the other hand, I loathe that rich folks pay more than me in taxes. Money equates to access and exclusionary access equates to elitism. Just human nature. People follow money. Policies that permit such a system are ultimately ruinous.

27-Aug-14
Funny to watch liberals rally against the BK move.

Do they know that A pays an effective tax rate in the single digits? All of their mfg. done off shore?

That GOOG and GE also pay little tax?

It would not surprise me to see gov't reclassify offshore mfg. of US companies as US mfg. to give the illusion of US job growth. That will be a truly justified reason for outrage.

Our tax code is the dumbest in the developed world. Maybe not dumb, but surely criminal by design, IMO.

27-Aug-14
Management at Burger King has a fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Making the move saves them $3billion over ten years. Last I checked, three billion dollars was a lot of money.

Between the US tax and regulatory policy, it's foolish not to move.

27-Aug-14
"Our tax code is the dumbest in the developed world. Maybe not dumb, but surely criminal by design, IMO."

-Criminal by construct? Certainly. Not remotely dumb. I believe it is designed to crush those it purports to "save" - largely by co-opting and exploiting their political clout.

27-Aug-14
My understanding is Mr. "the rich don't pay their fair share" Buffett has his hands in the financing of this move? Helping facilitate this move to save on taxes on one hand while mouthing all the right words to ingratiate himself in liberal/leftist circles?

Leftists will never learn, the more wealth and capitol the more options. Rather than plan how to attract it they declare war on it.... then think they can act like kings with slaves and demand things.... thinking they are the omnipotent last word, the smartest people on the planet. Elitists. With no demonstrable evidence of any real achievement or success.

BK.... I can eat their food but can't stomach the stupidest advertising on the face of the planet. Jack is great advertising, hands down advertising genius. That plastic king is creepy beyond words.

27-Aug-14
taxes are a very small part of this move. some nominal benefit but not much. much more strategic that a simple tax play and it is primarily about global business growth. the history and positioning of these two brands is where the answer lies. That and 3G's business model and approach.

27-Aug-14
In reality a corporation tax rate is 0%. You can only tax people not the corporation itself because people are the only ones who can pay a tax. So....corporations pay tax on profits to shareholders, managers etc. The 35% is arbitrary and really closer to 39% when you take the state into account. That said the money spent by corporations on tax loopholes alone is staggering biting into that 35% and borrowed liabilities vs. self funded endeavors which makes the stockholders that much happier. The move by BK may save them 13-17% up front...a great sum indeed on their gross but their jettisoned legal and borrowed liabilities will almost totally negate the US 35%. Their rate will be slashed at least in half if not more. The beauty here for the corporations is their leveraged new found liquidity which they can dump back in and take off all at the same time. A win/win/win/not so much for Canada as a...loss/loss/loss for the U.S.

The Rock

27-Aug-14
"Money corporations collect over and above what they would otherwise charge in order to pay corporate taxes works IF they do not charge private citizens any income taxes."

Would this not be a tax on individuals? Would the individuals purchasing the product not be paying a "tax"?

27-Aug-14
Any good business including mom and pop stores do the same thing just on tiny scale sureshot

27-Aug-14
Hammer, Your point is?

27-Aug-14
Great idea Al. My point is that all buisness taxes are paid by customers, which in reality is just another tax on YOU. If all the taxes came from individuals in the form of a sales tax, I bet people wouldn't think it wasn't quite so cool to redistribute the wealth via the tax and welfare programs.

27-Aug-14
Taxes are cost of doing business. I don't agree with the tax structure and feel we will drive our American business well, out of business.

27-Aug-14
Buckhunter,

So do you think after the corp pays their tax and then pays the individuals and then the individual goes and pays taxes on his income that he is somehow not paying taxes? To me the corp tax is double dipping.

27-Aug-14
Sureshot the point is that every business does it and not just the EVIL corp but lets rag on the corp because they are an easy target.

28-Aug-14
No big deal. if you want to run off all the major corp on the planet instead of having them owned and based here, this is the perfect way to do it.

For those who tout "pay your fair share" your fair share is going to be whatever you can devise to pay the least possible. Unless some have volunteered to pay over and above what they owe on their own personal taxes as some kind of donation. Or tip the cashier at walmart, pick the most expensive plumber, etc.

That's the trouble with liberal/leftists. They play by two standards. One for themselves and another for all those evil rich people who "can afford to give (me) more".

28-Aug-14
TD,

Your right!

Funny that most everyone MUST be paying their fair share already or we would have prisons full of violators of the tax code.

What the insane liberal left wants to do even in the face of a poor economy and companies bailing the USA left and right is to change the definition of what "your fair share" really is. The rich paying most of the taxes is still not enough. They want them to pay it all. Talk about unpatriotic. EVERYONE should have to pay.

How stupid the liberals are or anyone else is for that matter when they think that raising taxes to a "your fair share but more than it is now" would do anything other than hurt America at this point.

It is beyond me the logic these crazy and obviously insane people use to come up with this crazy stuff. Reason has went right out the window.

28-Aug-14
Hammer, In my opinion a person would be crazy to have a profitable buisness not set up as a type of corporation. I would venture to say that if your company is not a type of corporation it is probably not moving due to tax reasons.

28-Aug-14
Our tax code is so dumb that just being self employed finds you paying more in taxes than regular joe

28-Aug-14
Liberals have a very tough time understanding the facts, if you have a strong buisness climate you eliminate 99% of your problems. As simple as it is, the more people working the better we all are, they just don't friggin get it.

28-Aug-14
The reason why taxes are painful for the end consumer is because for the end consumer a tax is an end cost right up there with food, a car and a roof over your head. The tax is paid first and then whatever money you have left can be used for the other things. It is a "end" cost.

For a corporation or ANY business for that matter a tax is not a end cost. It's simply a cost of doing business...an expense. No different than labor, gasoline, materials, etc. If a government adds or increases a tax the business simply ADDS THAT COST TO IT'S GOODS OR SERVICES PROVIDED!

The individual taxpayer cannot do that. If we can't cover our expenses we have to do without. We CANNOT "pass it on"....there's no one left to pass it on to!

So the real truth is that the more you tax a business the more the end purchaser of their goods or services must pay, so in effect WE are the ones paying business taxes, NOT the business.

If the government added a dollar to what it cost McDonalds to make a Big Mac then the cost of a Big Mac to the consumer would go up by a dollar. That dollar then becomes one LESS dollar that the consumer has to spend because HE just paid the added tax, not McDonalds. Based on this, this IS a "sales tax", because the tax is being paid exclusively by the purchaser.

28-Aug-14
Fortunately, I don't receive all of the government I actually pay for.

29-Aug-14
"Corporations get tax deductions for the facilities they occupy, the machinery they use and the neccesary equipment and amenities they have to do business, you don't!"

Spike - Do you pay capital gains when you sell your house or car?

29-Aug-14
No hassle Spike, I am for taxes at the individual level.. I am against propety taxes as well. Even though I will never pay an inheritance tax, I am also against it. People who make smart decisions to lower their tax liabilities do not upset me, however freeloading nonworking welfare recipients do. The reason I am for a sales tax over all these other taxes is because everyone pays the same and it does not take the incentive to work away, in fact it creates an incentive to work.

29-Aug-14
I agree, it also shows people the real cost of taxes. I bet alot of wasteful govt. spending would be cut and both of these things run afoul of what the govt. wants.

29-Aug-14
Those against property taxes....How does a local government function w/o them?

29-Aug-14
No spike I agree they should act reasonably but I have heard people say they are against property taxes many times. The problem is the local Govt needs them to fund out local services. I do not want the state allocating the money.

29-Aug-14
Hammer, Sales tax. Property taxes are some of the most unfair taxes levied. If I have a $200,000 house on 1/2acre and pay $5000.00 a year in propety taxes, why should my neighbor who lives on 2 acres in a run down house worth $50,000.00 only pay $1250.00?

29-Aug-14
I will answer in a second but 1st that is a bad example because that's not supposed to be possible in most places. That is an extreme example and anyone in that position has likely not used the law in their favor. His house would drag the value of yours down. On top of that anyone who would buy a 200K home when the neighbors homes are only worth 50K is not very wise financially and hasn't done their due diligence on the housing market. Either that or they don't care, have more money than sense or they just love the area so they bite the bullet regardless..

Now...That's easy.... Because your house and property is worth wayyyyy more. Now if your neighbors house is worth 50K on 2 acres and yours is worth 200K on 1/2 I could get your taxes lowered wayyyyyy down because they have your home assessed way out of whack. They tried to pull that on me at 2 of my homes and I got it lowered wayyyy down. Got it cut in half at one home and saved 1000 bucks a year. The other was lowered 1200. You gotta watch out and stay on those crooks and know your options or they will screw you at every turn my brother.

By the way...Sales tax eh? How do you supposed to set up that bureaucracy?

The property tax itself is not what the problem is. The problem is the out of control spending that makes the local Govts need to charge an arm and a leg and your kids in taxes.

There are reasons why some place cost more than other too beyond just being a little nicer area. Many places where it is nutz high spend to much money on pointless stuff. Some places where it is real low don't spend enough. It is all out of whack.

29-Aug-14
Property taxes are insidious. Just the worst. Buy a house? Lifetime of tax debt. Buy a boat? Lifetime of tax debt. Own a business and buy equipment? Lifetime of tax debt on every freaking piece.

Vehicle registration is another issue that kills me. We have a 20 year old tri-axle dump truck that costs over $700.00 a year to register. A capitalist society allows a person to own the means of his/her production. Well, that can't exist if one, by threat of force, is made to pay just for the use of said means.

29-Aug-14
Iw...That's easy.... Because your house and property is worth "wayyyyy more. Now if your neighbors house is worth 50K on 2 acres and yours is worth 200K on 1/2 I could get your taxes lowered wayyyyyy down because they have your home assessed way out of whack. They tried to pull that on me at 2 of my homes and I got it lowered wayyyy down. Got it cut in half at one home and saved 1000 bucks a year. The other was lowered 12O0. You gotta watch out and stay on those crooks and know your options or they will screw you at every turn my brother."

Hammer, This is the type of answer that makes no sense. You give these answers amd have no idea what the facts are. That scenario is a true example of a house I built. The house was on a small private lake and the neighbors in frony of the lake haf a rundown shack of a house, trees were planted to block the view of the shack from the houses on the lake. You coyld have argued all day long but the taxes were not going down.

29-Aug-14
"On top of that anyone who would buy a 200K home when the neighbors homes are only worth 50K is not very wise financially and hasn't done their due diligence on the housing market. Either that or they don't care, have more money than sense or they just love the area so they bite the bullet regardless.."

I was quite informed when I built the house, was not a bit surprised about the taxes and made a very nice profit on the house after living in it for 7 years. As a matter of fact the house never even listed on the market and a couple bought it at full appraisal value. So, I hope you understand, these types of responses are what cause me to point out your often cofusing and contradictory responses on a few other threads when you talk about things without knowing the "facts".

29-Aug-14
Owl, I know what you are talking about. I just paid the 2290. For those who don't know, in the trucking industry you pay a heavy vehicle use tax aka 2290, on a vehicle with 80,000 lb gross weight it is $550.00 and allows you to buy a state license plate. The cost of the license plate is determined by the weight as well as the states and miles traveled and figured on a fleet average. My license plates run about $2300.00. So thay figures about $2850.00 per truck per year before you pay fuel taxes and tolls.

29-Aug-14
"So, I hope you understand, these types of responses are what cause me to point out your often cofusing and contradictory responses on a few other threads when you talk about things without knowing the "facts"."

OMG Sureshot get a grip! I have made no contradictory or confusing statements in this thread or the border thread. You just choose not to read what is right there before your eyes. Either that or you come to the show late after a thread was deleted and restarted like the last one and pop off without knowing everything that was said prior. Now....I know the facts of all my homes I own and every person that I have advised on how to get their taxes lowered. Don't forget to read the part you just quoted me on either. Your such a dolt if your going to quote me and then rip me while all the while flat out ignoring exactly what I said...That's misrepresenting what I actually said even though you see it right there. Here is what I said so read it very slow....."On top of that anyone who would buy a 200K home when the neighbors homes are only worth 50K is not very wise financially and hasn't done their due diligence on the housing market. """Either that or they don't care, have more money than sense """.....********or they just love the area so they bite the bullet regardless********

Hmmmmm looks like I left open the possibility that I didn't know all the facts of each person or perhaps if it was you now didn't I? The very fact that I ended that the way I did left open the possibility that your extreme example could be somewhat unique if the person just didn't care OR they loved the area so much that they were willing to bite the bullet! You in fact just turned around and confirmed it by saying "I was quite informed when I built the house, was not a bit surprised about the taxes and made a very nice profit on the house after living in it for 7 years".....So that means that you didn't care and went ahead and built the house anyway knowing what was coming. It was still worth it to you. Good for you but don't say I said or implied something I didnt. Gezzz

What year did you build the house?

29-Aug-14
Hammer, How do they come up with property tax cost?

29-Aug-14
By the way....."You coyld have argued all day long but the taxes were not going down."

I have not had a municipality yet that I was unable to get the property taxes lowered. This goes for my personal homes or all the rentals I own but I do my homework and have my guns fully loaded when I do it. If not they will eat you for lunch. The housing market is my business and those tools every year try to raise it back up more than it should be and I have to keep going back and getting them to set it to the proper amount. Sometimes I win and sometimes I loose but I usually win and I have always won on the 1st go around after buying a new home because it is always way to high. When you own 10 homes and they raise it each year and you have 200 on this one and 300 on this one etc it adds up and after enough years your paying wayy to much in taxes because you never challenge them on their BS numbers. Some times they will not lower it and they bank on the fact that you wont take it to the next level because it will cost you anther 1/2 to a full day. Here in MI if they don't lower it you have to take it to Lansing and that cost people time so they say forget it. It is a diminishing return each year to do that much extra because if you loose a day of work to save 200 bucks then it is a wash or a loss. But after 5 years it adds up and if you own a bunch of houses it really adds up

Most homeowners never say a thing though and that's the sad part of it. In essence most are ignorant to the facts. If most did what I do we would have 50,000 people a year challenging their taxes where I own my primary residence alone. I have spoken to several townships I own homes in and if they had everyone challenge them and they in turn had to lower the taxes by just 5-10% on each home they would have a HUGE budget issue fast. They even openly admit it and openly admit that it probably isn't right either. IMO that is BS.

LMAO....They tried to raise my taxes on one house because they said they thought I had finished repair work on the inside of the house based on the roof. I had used the very poor condition of the roof and the inside condition and other tools to get the taxes lowered the year before because they had it at 223K but it was actually worth less than 1/2 that. I had to openly laugh and couldn't help it. How the hell do they know what I did inside a home and what's the roof have to do with that? They lowered it back down and admitted they raised it based on an assumption. They saw the new roof and assumed I was done with the house. I could not believe what I was hearing and was none to happy with that. This kind of stuff goes on all the time too. It is crooked and total BS and many homeowners are none the wiser. They just bitch a little and move on. If the have a montage with tax escrow then it is felt even less so they just sheeple right along like good little tax payers.

29-Aug-14
Sureshot,

" How do they come up with property tax cost?"

Why? What's that have to do with this? Also you 1st...."what year did you build the house?"

This is an analogy but if you wanna insist on playing that kind of a game with me then it will work both ways or I just will stop playing.

29-Aug-14

29-Aug-14
Every property owner should be able to set the value of the property and pay taxes on that value. They would then be obligated to sell the property to a person offering to purchase it at that price. That way, property valuations for taxation would reflect what the property is actually worth to the owner.

29-Aug-14
The reason sales tax does not work well for smaller units of government is that people often do not purchase where they live. Many rural areas have no retail outlets, so everyone buys out of town.

A solution to this would be to return sales tax collections to the governing unit of each person's residence. Can you imagine the fraud involved with that?

29-Aug-14
Sureshot,

How in the world did you have a home on a lake in 2003 that was only valued at 200K for taxes? That is unbelievable. I am not saying I don't believe you but I am saying that is unreal. That is insane. A standard 2 story colonial in a subdivision cost 200K or more even now. Back in 2003 home values were still very high (higher than they should have been) and still continued to go going up up up until the crash. You cant buy a home now for that on a lake that's for sure and if you did the taxes would not be set on 200K on any lake in my state. lol. How much were you able to sell it for?

If it cost you 200K to build the home then it was a fairly nice home. I have been around the residential building business my whole life because my dad built homes for 40 years and my bro has been doing so for 20. I took the other approach and bought pre existing and flipped them or kept them for rental so I know the market fairly well. Especially in my state. 200K gets you a pretty nice home and if you are a deal maker and/or thrifty it can be even nicer. If you do a lot of the work yourself you can build a very nice home for 200K.

It sounds to me like if you had it on a lake and they had it at 200K then you had the township fooled somehow. Either that or the other homes in the area were dragging the value of your home down big time. How big was it and how many room? Ranch? 2 story colonial? How much of the work did you and your friends and family do or did you subcontract it all out?

How much did you sell it for? It is amazing you made any profit at all and didn't loose money if you sold it 7 years later because that would put you in the year of 2010 when things were not so nice in the housing market and about as bad as they have ever been in American history. I bought several houses during that time and had to hold them for 3 years just to turn a profit and I made those homes look very nice on a insanely low budget and did all the work myself. I had 2 that I bought for 15K and put 8 to 10K in and could not sell them for 35K. I had one I bought in late 2009 that I paid 13,000 for and put 8 into it and could not sell it for 25K. I rented that one out and now I could likely sell it for 50. I had to wait on some of these homes but I kinda knew that going into it and could not refuse the awesome deals. I only wish I had more capital on hand when things popped because I would love to own about 50 at those prices. lol. You cant loose $ when you only have 20-35K in a home and you rent it for 750-900 bucks a month. In 4-5 years you have all your capital back and a home that is completely paid for.

30-Aug-14
I say good for them!

We are all being tax raped and I'm pissed about it!

AND...No one should have to pay tax on something they own...Property tax is a communist idea...This is America and we fought a war against communism...Now look at us...

30-Aug-14

Dogsoldier's embedded Photo
Dogsoldier's embedded Photo

30-Aug-14
Hammer - If you know the housing market so well, you know it all depends on supply and demand, you also would know that not every market is in MI. Uncle Sam was even nice enough when I built my new house in 2010 to give me a $6000.00 tax rebate for building it. The tax rebate seemed quite stupid to me, especially since the mortgage market was tight enough that if you were building in 2010 a $6000.00 tax incentive wasn"t the reason.

If you are flipping hoses I am sure you can get the taxes lowered, you are buying houses in need of repair at a discounted price and have a sale price to use against the tax body. Now, go buy a house on the market ready to move into at market value and tell me how it works for you.

By the way, the property taxes begin with an assessment of fair market value, I would have to assume you didn't know that since you didn't answer the question.

30-Aug-14
Dog: That's right on. It sounds like my a-hole Senator Durbin.

30-Aug-14
I can not figure out how Durbin keeps getting reelected, I know it is not my vote. For the record WoodsWalker I am not very fond of Kirk either.

30-Aug-14
Sureshot,

" If you know the housing market so well, you know it all depends on supply and demand, you also would know that not every market is in MI."

LMAO. Of course I know that because I own homes outside of MI. I never implied they were all the same either. Nice try though!

Way to answer those questions too but at least you answered 1 which gave me an answer of sorts and told me a lot. It is why I had follow up questions that you didn't answer.. Also your right that I know the MI market very well but where you make an inaccurate assumption is my knowledge of markets outside of MI. I know many markets (not all) in many other states because I own homes in more than 1 state. The housing market is the housing market regardless of the state. Some places are better than others and some places homes cost more/less than others but ether way a lot of $ can be made in a just about any market if you know what you are doing. I cant be sure but I have probably owned more homes that were "ready to move in" than you have even lived in over your lifetime and I got the taxes lowered on those too. But like I said it is in my wheel house and I know what I am doing when it comes to residential homes and getting taxes lowered. The biggest problem most home owners face is not even trying. They assume they cant do it or it is right and move on. What the general populace doesn't realize is if they all did their due diligence and did so properly many could get their property tax cut that don't even know it and it would bring the govts to their knees and reign them in but like I said most never even try and those that do often find the next year that the taxes have went back up so they just sigh and move on.

The perfect example would be how bad home values dipped from 09-12 but the property taxes did not go down as they should have. The budget short falls would have been insane so the state and local Govts moved them down slowly but not like they should have done. Some areas saw 100K homes drop in values all the way below 50K or lower but the taxes were NOT cut in half. LOL. Mine were because I was smart about it but most just accepted the slight decline in their taxes and didn't push the govt to lower them to what they really should have been.

'I would have to assume you didn't know that since you didn't answer the question.'

You would assume wrong. If you were reading the thread you would know I have already mentioned assessed values. Pay attention!

The simple version is taxes are figured on a % basis with mill levy rates and assessed values. To figure the assessed value they estimate the reasonable value (market value) of the property in question or the price it would sell for. An analysis of your local market is used. They take into consideration any new construction or home improvements as well. The value is multiplied by the residential assessment rate. The assessment 'rate' is usually set by the state. This is a fast and simple explanation. There are other factors but we don't need to get into the cost method or income method do we?

30-Aug-14
Hammer, You are a peach. I have much better things to do today than argue with someone for the hell of it. However, if you are smart enough to know how propert taxes are figured I would almost bet you would be smart enough to figure out why a house worth $50,000 would pay a quarter of the taxes a house worth $200,000 does this may be a stretch for you though.

30-Aug-14
"WoodsWalker I am not very fond of Kirk either."

You mean Sen. Mark Kirk (RINO) Il.?

I'm not either!

Kirk's done though. He'd never win another election as a Republican, if he even runs again.

30-Aug-14
Sureshot,

" However, if you are smart enough to know how propert taxes are figured I would almost bet you would be smart enough to figure out why a house worth $50,000 would pay a quarter of the taxes a house worth $200,000 does this may be a stretch for you though. "

LMAO. I may be a "peach" but I am convinced your full of bull and also either purposely refuse to read what is written or you just cant comprehend. I never said a thing about how or why a house worth 50K would pay less in taxes to that of one valued at 200. I never hinted at that either. Of course a home that is worth 75% less will pay less in taxes. DAH! That's obvious regardless of how you go about trying to insult me. Of course why answer any questions I ask though right? Instead throw out a red herring that was never discussed in order to pivot.

What I will say is I think you may be full of bull and I am suspect that you built a house on a lake that was valued at only 200K in 2003. Maybe on a pond but not on any real lake I have ever seen. Hell even a man made lake 'lot' around where I live or anywhere near any home I own still cost a ton w/o a house and values are still very low today but not as low as they were compared to when you supposedly sold yours which was during the most turbulent housing market in history and near its lowest point ever. You still managed to make a nice profit while all the while you had a home valued at only 200K for 7 years on a piece of lake front property. You built near the height and sold at near the bottom. Way to go to pull off any profit. This is the way I make my money and you are better at it than I am that's for sure. You are one of a very few that turned a profit during the window of time you mentioned. You even built the house to boot which makes this even more amazing over that 7 year period. (built in 03' sold in 10') Now of course I am not sure what your definition of a 'nice profit' is so there is that. Unless you built almost the entire home yourself with your own hands or that of friends and family that you didn't have to pay instead of subcontractors then I am not sure how you turned any profit at all given the condition of the housing market at the time you claim you sold it but I am sure I just don't have all the facts and it's why I asked several questions that you wisely avoided.

I guess I will never know how a piece of lake property with a 7 year old home on it was only worth 200K from 03-10'. At the height of home values (03- early 06') the taxed value was set at 200K and near the lowest point in history (10')when you sold the house for a 'nice profit' I might add....it was still set at or near 200K?... Something is very wrong with that picture but again I likely just don't have all the facts and you were probably somehow spared or different than everyone else for taxes and home value during those great highs and super lows. Maybe those 50K homes around you would be why...lol... Who knows but at this point with what I know of housing market and how it really works I don't really care. Have a great holiday weekend man. Carry on.

• Sitka Gear