timh 17-Oct-14
slade 17-Oct-14
Anony Mouse 18-Oct-14
Anony Mouse 19-Oct-14
Amoebus 20-Oct-14
Anony Mouse 20-Oct-14
Woods Walker 20-Oct-14
08-Oct-14
Wait for it, as it's coming to a town near you...They say it takes bodily fluid contact to contract...BS! Ask the Deputy Sheriff in Texas that only had contact with the family members and Apt to the now dead idiot, Duncan...

How much longer will we put up with the incompetence of the Govt?!?

News breaking out of Texas that a Deputy has symptoms and has been admitted into the hospital...

08-Oct-14
2012 article citing research done in 2009 that proved it is airborne transmitted. Granted their are various strains of the virus.

http://healthmap.org/site/diseasedaily/article/pigs-monkeys-ebola-goes-airborne-112112

08-Oct-14
One of the articles I saw pointed to folks contracting it from the contaminated bedding of infected patients

08-Oct-14
eats

actually protecting Americans from outside invaders is what the government is supposed to do. not all the BS with healthcare and taking our money and property from us. what a dufus

08-Oct-14
You could argue it, but you would be wrong. GENERAL welfare refers to the welfare of the nation in general, not individuals.

To use another example from biology: No membrane, no cell.

No border, no nation.

08-Oct-14
Libertarians especially are the first ones to scream "gov't get out of my life!"

until a catastrophe hits and then its "where the hell is the gov't"

I am in Missouri, SHOW ME a libertarian saying any such thing.

08-Oct-14
I can't find the thread anymore, but it's obvious this genius took the "Stupidest Liberal Ever" thread as a challenge.

08-Oct-14

Mike in CT's Link
To date there is no evidence of the transmission of Ebola from human-to-human by any airborne mechanism.

I did look at the link provided above and while it points to a trend to watch out for (a number of viral diseases have gone the animal to human route) it is an experimental result under experimental conditions and should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you want to really get an idea of what's out there a great read is "The Coming Plague" by Laurie Garrett.

I'm seeing more reports about increasing airport screenings of passengers, especially those with a history of travel into "hot zones"; these should continue to accelerate.

With regard to the first US fatality; the CDC has an exceptional contact tracking team. The key will be identifying potential exposures and quarantining them quickly. The genie is not out of the bottle-yet.

08-Oct-14

08-Oct-14

08-Oct-14
"One could argue that "insuring domestic tranquility AND promoting the general welfare easily qualifies the US Govt to provide healthcare."

Easily qualifies???? I suppose it does if you really squint your eyes and imagine it.

08-Oct-14
The genie is not out of the bottle-yet.

Do you have little people running around inside your head?

The Rock

09-Oct-14
bb, can't you see it?.... just under the rainbow and to the left of the unicorn.....

Obama and the leftists would lock down the world if they thought they could bend and twist "insuring domestic tranquility" far enough.... the brown shirts would insure you were tranquil....

09-Oct-14
"One could argue that "insuring domestic tranquility AND promoting the general welfare easily qualifies the US Govt to provide healthcare."

Really? No, Really? Promote means provide? Hmmmph, learn something everyday.

Go back to academia. Those of us who produce will continue to do so. Those that suckle at the teat will continue to do so. Don't be surprised when we b!tch 'cause our nipples got sore.

09-Oct-14
Do you have little people running around inside your head?

Only around my house.....

Seriously, no, just insights from having worked with people at both the CDC and NIH. The contact tracking has led to some of the people exposed to the Ebola patient and to date none have demonstrated symptoms.

We still need to track down all contacts from those people and continue down the "contact tree" if you will.

The risk of an outbreak unfortunately increases logarithmically as you fan out from Patient "0".

Let's all pray we don't see clusters of symptomatic people over the next week or two.

09-Oct-14
You are vastly more likely to die from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, or a stroke than from ebola. Troll talk.

09-Oct-14
Just wait until your dog gets it....

09-Oct-14
Mike,

I hear that. I am a bit anxious about this damned thing and I am praying hard. I look at my grandchildren playing and really get upset and angry all at the same time. They smile and laugh and I am holding my breath helpless for them while laughing aloud.

This thing is taking its toll on me for the children.

The Rock

09-Oct-14
You guys really shouldn't get too worried about Ebola...it's the disease that comes next time that isn't quite so hard to get that you need to get ready for.

I like to think I'm ready to ride out a couple of months with or without electricity but I don't have any space suits, rubber golves, or respirators or anything like that.

I may see what I can find on the internet once this scare dies down.

09-Oct-14
From 1997:

Studies have shown that canines can be an ebola vector...especially potential in TX where the vomit outside the apartment was left untreated/unattended for several days.

Randy...marburg disease will be the next one. A virus related to ebola, but without any treatment.

09-Oct-14

JD's Link
From Fox News:

"The sheriff’s deputy who went into the apartment where an Ebola victim was living tested negative for the virus, the Texas Department of State Health Services confirmed Thursday afternoon."

10-Oct-14
Here's a new one.

"Marburg, a virus similar to Ebola, has hit the radar in the African country of Uganda, raising concerns about another deadly outbreak".

10-Oct-14
Jack,

Marburg is another nasty virus and again, something else to keep in mind given the global society we live in. Once, the separation of oceans acted as a natural buffer and kept some diseases localized; no longer.

Machupo (Bolivian Hemorrhagic fever) is another distinct possibility, particularly since it's spread may be abetted by the influx of "visitors" from Central and South America.

Rocky,

I hear you, especially on the concern you have to feel looking at your kids and grandchildren.

10-Oct-14

Bluetick's embedded Photo
Bluetick's embedded Photo
source: Westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com

10-Oct-14

Amoebus's Link
"They say it takes bodily fluid contact to contract...BS!"

Duncan was within airborne distance of hundreds/thousands of people on the flight, at the 2 airports, in the hospital, at his apartment. For your conspiracy to be true, more than one of those people would have to have a possible case of ebola.

For that matter, if it was airborne, we would have 3-4 million people dead (30-40 million?) in west Africa now instead of 3-4 thousand.

But, history tells us that one of these viruses/bacteria will evolve to be transmitted easily and a portion of the 7 billion people will die from it. The link reports that 30 million have died (are dying) from HIV/AIDS and that is not easily contracted.

10-Oct-14

DL's Link
Table: Chronology of previous Ebola virus disease outbreaks

Year Country Ebolavirus species Cases Deaths Case fatality 2012 Democratic Republic of Congo Bundibugyo 57 29 51% 2012 Uganda Sudan 7 4 57% 2012 Uganda Sudan 24 17 71% 2011 Uganda Sudan 1 1 100% 2008 Democratic Republic of Congo Zaire 32 14 44% 2007 Uganda Bundibugyo 149 37 25% 2007 Democratic Republic of Congo Zaire 264 187 71% 2005 Congo Zaire 12 10 83% 2004 Sudan Sudan 17 7 41% 2003 (Nov-Dec) Congo Zaire 35 29 83% 2003 (Jan-Apr) Congo Zaire 143 128 90% 2001-2002 Congo Zaire 59 44 75% 2001-2002 Gabon Zaire 65 53 82% 2000 Uganda Sudan 425 224 53% 1996 South Africa (ex-Gabon) Zaire 1 1 100% 1996 (Jul-Dec) Gabon Zaire 60 45 75% 1996 (Jan-Apr) Gabon Zaire 31 21 68% 1995 Democratic Republic of Congo Zaire 315 254 81% 1994 Cote d'Ivoire Taï Forest 1 0 0% 1994 Gabon Zaire 52 31 60% 1979 Sudan Sudan 34 22 65% 1977 Democratic Republic of Congo Zaire 1 1 100% 1976 Sudan Sudan 284 151 53% 1976 Democratic Republic of Congo Zaire 318 280 88%

14-Oct-14
Hogwash, Spike.

1. If the motive is to make money, there are far easier ways to make $86 million.

2. Artificial virus in 1977? First, the technology to make an artificial virus did not exist at that time. Second, do you really believe that the government could keep a secret that big for that long?

15-Oct-14

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo
There you go again.

15-Oct-14
Why is it that someone who proclaims themselves the keeper of common sense usually has very little of it?

Spike's site has a lot of flaws.

- CDC didn't patent all forms of ebola, only EboBun.

- Patenting a disease is not inventing a disease.

- Current form of ebola is ebola zaire so it wouldn't apply (even if the CDC was trying to charge for its use/vaccine).

- Supreme court ruled in 2013 that "genes and the information they encode are not patent-eligible ... simply because they have been isolated from the surrounding genetic material". (CDC patent was in 2010.)

- Up until the 2013 ruling, the CDC had patented all kinds of diseases and let researchers work on them for free. This was to prevent private labs from patenting something deadly and then charging researchers when they wanted to work on 'their' disease.

The site is really sad to me. If they are smart enough to know what they are reading, then they know that they aren't concluding anything factual - so, what is their goal? Just to dupe some scientifically ignorant people? Really sad.

I, too, want $86 large.

15-Oct-14
It worked.

15-Oct-14
Its in the US and it is spreading. Thats a fact!

15-Oct-14
First mistake was letting it in to our country.

Does not matter if one can die quicker from something else dead is dead.

I am really starting to hate the word compassion !

And tell me again WHY we needed this ebola in our country.

15-Oct-14
Wait until it gets into India or China that already has a soup of flu virus's there. If that thing mutates with that hang on, For those that Only have Bows you better get you a Zombie gun.

15-Oct-14
They may ban their inbound flights, and I couldn't care less. It's their outbound ones that I'd worry about.

15-Oct-14

Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Huh, I always wondered what happened to comedian David Brenner.

He's the ebola czar. :^)

15-Oct-14
Ebola will spread but won't be the problem . Millions of people from other countries trying to escape Ebola by sneaking into the USA from both borders and both oceans will be the night mare .

Last week one of the grandsons asked me if we will ever have Zombies to shoot someday. I said in about 1 year if they don't stop Ebola .

15-Oct-14
"Mark my words, someone will link the outbreak of Ebola to climate change (if they haven't already). It's only a matter of time."

Only you so far.

15-Oct-14
The Obama administration's handling of the Ebola issue warrants their entry into NAMFLA:

The North American Monkey-Football Love Association.

16-Oct-14
" If the motive is to make money, there are far easier ways to make $86 million."

Spike's link hinted that Bill Gates and the feds conspired to use create ebola to make $86 million. If those two entities wanted to conspire to make money, they could come up with far more than $86 million in many far less-obvious ways.

16-Oct-14
MSNBC people have linked climate change to Ebola a week ago.

16-Oct-14

slade's Link
There yo go being duped again.

Some more tidbits from the Center for Everything but Disease Control

""At $7 billion, the Centers for Disease Control 2014 budget is nearly 200 percent bigger now than it was in 2000. Those evil, stingy Republicans actually approved CDC funding increases in January larger than what President Obama requested.""

"Mandatory motorcycle helmet laws. CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden appoints a 15-member “Community Preventive Services Task Force” to promote pet Nanny State projects. An obscure Obamacare rule–Section 4003(b)(1)–"

"Video games and TV violence. At Obama’s behest, in the wake of high-profile school shootings, the CDC scored $10 million last year to study violent video games and media images, as well as to assess “existing strategies for preventing gun violence and identifying the most pressing research questions, with the greatest potential public health impact.”

"Playground equipment. The CDC’s “Injury Centers” (Did you know there are 13 of them?) have crafted a “national action plan” and funded countless studies to prevent boo-boos and accidents on the nation’s playgrounds."

“Social norming” in the schools. The CDC has funded studies and campaigns “promoting positive community norms” and “safe, stable, nurturing relationships (SSNRs)”

16-Oct-14

Bluetick's Link
Not only is this administration steadfastly refusing to implement a travel ban on west African countries, they can't get these people into our country fast enough.

This little dictator and his criminal gang hate the American people. Sadly the majority are too stupid to realize it.

16-Oct-14

Anony Mouse's Link
Like NASA, the CDC has been re-tasked by the grand Obamunist.

16-Oct-14
H/T: IOTW

Ultimately, It’s Our Own Damn Fault

Lets start at the beginning of the Ebola epidemic that has come to our shores and begun infecting our medical personnel. One might think we would open our tale on March 22, 2014, when the first cases of Ebola were diagnosed in Guinea. But no, our story begins in 2004, when Congress passed The Project Bioshield Act; followed by the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act and all reauthorized last year under the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013.

These Acts of Congress (so much for Washington gridlock) created the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response under the Department of Health and Human Services. The post was filled by Obama appointee Dr. Nicole Lurie who (surprise, surprise) turns out to be one of the most corrupt officials in Washington.:

PRESIDENT OBAMA ALREADY HAS AN EBOLA CZAR. WHERE IS SHE?

If the OPRESS™ reported this in the same manner that they do when they have a "gotcha" on Sara Palin or Rush Limbaugh, there would be lynchings in DC and there would not be one hint of racism directed toward President Putt-Putt.

16-Oct-14
Hey doc, why is the CDC baring Americans who are being monitored from flying anywhere here and yet they let Oboli plagued 3rd worlders fly here ???

16-Oct-14
Hey doc, why is the CDC baring Americans who are being monitored from flying anywhere here and yet they let Oboli plagued 3rd worlders fly here ??

Symptomatic patients are infectious but with proper precautions they can be brought to the proper facilities and treated (hopefully) effectively. In theses cases you're dealing with a known quantity-an infectious patient or patients and they should be attended by healthcare workers with training in dealing with a BSL-4 pathogen.

Contrary to what was posted above asymptomatic patients are not infective. As viral load increases and symptoms manifest the virus is shed in body fluids in increasingly high numbers and these infected people are highly contagious.

People may indeed be asymptomatic "carriers" which may arise from a low-level exposure to the virus. These people's immune system is able to fight off the infection.

Barring exposed Americans (quarantine) is appropriate; symptoms can develop as quickly as within 2 days to 21 days. While within that window to allow travel is to in essence let the genie out of the bottle; once they leave they have additional time to incubate the virus and become both symptomatic and contagious.

Successfully treated patients can also be infective for a time as well, shedding virus in their semen, for example in men.

16-Oct-14
Listen and Weep rubes.

16-Oct-14

VIRAL SUICIDE: Obama DHS Now EXPEDITING Visa Requests From Ebola-Infected Countries

Wondering how Thomas Eric Duncan was able to enter the U.S. while suffering from Ebola? He asked for a visa and received one in August.

In fact, the Department of Homeland Security is proudly advertising its "Ebola Outbreak-related Immigration Relief Measures to Nationals of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone Currently in the United States."

You read that right. Not only are the Obama Democrats leaving our doors wide open to those seeking entry from Ebola-infected countries, they're actually expediting visa requests!

(from link):

Edited/update: (a couple of good posts from AOS)

Ebola of Spades Edition Comments on how Nigeria dealt with the spread of ebola...much more competent than the TBVIECian regime.

Flashback: Let NPR Reassure You That Ebola Isn't a Big Worry

16-Oct-14
More gibberish from the CDC.

""In a statement to the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee, Frieden said the "current epidemic in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone" is the "biggest and most complex Ebola challenge the world has ever faced." He said he feared the disease could spread even more in Africa. "The porous land borders among countries and remoteness of many villages have greatly complicated control efforts," ""

17-Oct-14

slade's Link
Probably a coincidence.

""A plane from Nigeria landed at JFK Airport Thursday with a male passenger aboard who had died during the flight after a fit of vomiting — and CDC officials conducted a “cursory” exam before announcing there was no Ebola and turning the corpse over to Port Authority cops to remove, Rep. Peter King said on Thursday.""

17-Oct-14

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo

17-Oct-14

timh's Link
From the link - President Obama issued an executive order Thursday allowing the Pentagon to call up reserve troops to combat the Ebola crisis in Africa.

"The president has laid out very clearly what the mission is. The Department of Defense has told the president that it will require about 4,000 Department of Defense personnel to execute the mission the president has directed them to execute," White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said earlier in the afternoon. "What I don't know is the composition of that force."

At the Pentagon, officials expect as many as 3,000 troops could be sent to Liberia to fight the disease. There are no plans for them to be involved in the direct treatment of victims. Instead, they will build treatment facilities and operate labs.

17-Oct-14
Our worries are over. PWE appoints political hack as the new Oboli Czar.

""Ron Klain was a member of Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign policy and debate preparation staff; was the chief of staff for Vice President Al Gore during the 1996 election; ran Mr. Gore’s “war room” in 2000; and led debate preparation for Senator John Kerry’s 2004 presidential bid.""

Now we can listen to the bowlibs blather on about how he is such a good fit. Never thinking what their reaction would be if the shoe was on the other foot and Bush appointed Rove as the Katrina Czar.

18-Oct-14
Is CDC Hiding Enterovirus Link To Illegal Alien Kids?

Add to the list not only the D68 enterovirus, but also Hansen's Disease (leprosy), scabies, drug resistant TB, etc.

19-Oct-14
US Army Handbook From 2011 Confirms Airborne Ebola Cases

Interesting note: while Obama has designs to bring those infected to the US for treatment, our military will be quarantined at the epicenter of the infection. Obama hates the military and will do everything possible to weaken it.

20-Oct-14
The good news is that the non-nurse/doctor contacts with Duncan (airports/hospital/family/apartment) have passed the 21 day monitoring period with no more cases.

20-Oct-14
H/T: Moonbattery

Dallas Hospital Could Have Detected Ebola Immediately but FDA Wouldn’t Let It

Supposedly we don’t need freedom, because if we give it up, the authorities will keep us safe from all threats. Ebola has certainly ripped the lid off this lie. Not only has Big Government deliberately facilitated the importation of Ebola, it has prevented the early diagnosis that could be life-saving:

The Dallas hospital that sent home Thomas Eric Duncan the first time he showed up at the emergency room has a machine that could have detected Ebola in less than an hour – but doctors were barred from using it because of federal regulations.

Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has treated three Ebola patients – Duncan, who died last week, and two of its own nurses who contracted the disease from Duncan. In each case, the hospital had to wait up to two days for confirmation that that patients were infected with the virus.

The Associated Press has also reported the medical records reveal nurses didn’t wear full protective gear while treating Duncan for two days while they awaited the results of his Ebola test.

The device is cheap by medical standards at $39,000. But lives were endangered as it sat unused because the bureauweenies at the FDA haven’t gotten around to approving it for detecting Ebola. Somebody at BioFire Diagnostics, which manufactures the device, needs to grease the wheels with a donation to the Democrat Party. Maybe they could repurpose some of the $240 million the federal government gave them to “hone the device to detect Ebola and other deadly pathogens,” which it apparently does quite well.

Or maybe the device isn’t necessary. We all know that the practice of taking passengers’ temperature is a joke, since Ebola vectors may not have a fever yet when they set off to avail themselves of free healthcare at our expense, or they may reduce their fevers with Tylenol. But officials were able to instantly determine that a passenger from Nigeria who vomited uncontrollably and then died on a flight into JFK did not have Ebola after only a cursory examination. They are encouraged to share their impressive expertise with others.

Memo from CDC/Obama to BioFire Diagnostics: You didn't build that.

20-Oct-14
"So now we may find out if 21 days was enough.."

And just WHO says that the incubation period is 21 days anyway? The CDC? LOL! Like they're credible, competent and non-political...RIIIIGHT....

I believe NOTHING they say, because they will say anything so that the affirmative action President doesn't look bad.

• Sitka Gear