bb 16-Oct-14
DL 16-Oct-14
bb 16-Oct-14
DL 16-Oct-14
Plywood Bender 17-Oct-14
Mike B 17-Oct-14
DL 17-Oct-14
15-Oct-14
Achates Is company that has been working on bring back 2 cycle diesels. With all the new technology available on diesel injections and economy controls these motors are showing incredible promise. Here's some if there test results.

"More recently, Achates says it has tested a smaller prototype engine in a light-duty pickup truck--the size of a Ford F-150 or Ram 1500--on a dynamometer in San Diego.

Against the most advanced diesel engines expected to arrive in the market, Achates said, the improvement is 30 percent--giving a combined rating of 28 mpg".

16-Oct-14
I have never heard of this type of engine? You add 2 cycle oil to diesel fuel?

16-Oct-14
I don't think I want one.

16-Oct-14
2 cycle diesels have been around since 1920s. 3.5 million Detroit Diesel 2-Cycle engines built since 1940 Nearly 250,000 still in operation around the world You don't have to mix oil.

16-Oct-14
You don't have to mix oil, but you do have to mop it up off the floor. ;^)

16-Oct-14
Lmao.....you would need two maybe 3 pickups to carry a Detroit

16-Oct-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
bb I knew a guy back in the 70s that fitted a 4-71 in a 3/4 T pickup. The 71 series went from 1-24 cylinder configuration. These new diesels are NOT industrial engines. Here's what 71 series came in

16-Oct-14
You mean Detroit made baby diesels?:) I'm mostly familiar with the 8-92, 12-92 and 16-92 for Marine applications. That 8 v 92 would flatten the tires on a Toyota and maybe the rims:)

16-Oct-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
They made a lot of different series and variants of each one.

17-Oct-14
They are now owned by MTU and no more 2 cycle to my knowledge. I work for an MTU distributor in their generator division. MTU is a German company

17-Oct-14
2-stroker diesels have been around in big trucks since way back.

I think the 8V71 was about the most common version used in commercial trucks, but ya really had to know how to make it work. Basically, kick it hard a few times, slam your hand in the door and then drive it like you're completely pizzed off at it.

Hated 'em, but they got the job done.

17-Oct-14

DL's Link
Back in the 80s I met Tyrone Malone. He had Drag Trucks. It had a12v71 with two super chargers and twin turbos. He drove those things like a maniac doing burnt outs jumping railroad track crossings where he was at. He traveled through Europe and austraillia with his convoy of beautiful big rigs. He would race any truck that wanted to race. He drove them like he stole um.

• Sitka Gear