sundowner 17-Oct-14
TD 17-Oct-14
itshot 17-Oct-14
itshot 17-Oct-14
Anony Mouse 18-Oct-14
TD 18-Oct-14
16-Oct-14

TD's Link
Lockheed has announced it has made major breakthroughs in building a fusion reactor. We could have 100 megawatt reactors that fit in the back of a truck, roughly 7x10 feet.... within 10 years....

Wow. If true that could be a game changer for mankind.

16-Oct-14
That could be huge.

17-Oct-14

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Honestly.... I had to look up megawatt to make sure I remembered how much that was.

1 million watts. A reactor producing 100,000,000 watts essentially on a trailer your pickup can tow. wow.

This is one of the major power plants here on Maui.... 34 megawatts.... or a bit over a third of what this fusion trailer can produce......

17-Oct-14
think about the additional infrastructure needed to allow 100 megawatts to flow. a typical power plant is 100 to 1500 MW and the amount of cable, transformers and such is enormous. so the comparison of placing it on a trailer, thereby beign portable, is a BS statement.

17-Oct-14
The reference to the fusion reactor's relatively small size (a pickup truck, not a trailer), was to give the non electrical engineer types an idea of proportion.

Electrical power generators, neuclear or conventional, are capable of being regulated with respect to their output. Existing power transmission infrastructure would handle the fusion reactor output just fine if overall electrical loads remained constant.

Reactors of whatever variety, are used to heat water. Electrical power is generated by a steam driven turbine.

17-Oct-14
A friend of mines dad is a nuclear scientist and he has been touting these smaller reactors as a solution for years. They are much safer than the older big reactors and some have a different type of reaction that is much more controllable and less prone to accidents.

So essentially the "Experts" know this is the way to go.......but the politicians are in the way. Anything with the word "Nuclear" in it gets blasted by the liberal Dems.

17-Oct-14
How can one teach when they lack assiduity and do not have a clue what regulating output means.

17-Oct-14
"Regulated? By Government? wait a minute here!!!"

No, you ignorant liberal leftist tool.

The word "Regulated" does not have to mean government control of the lives of citizens.

Read with comprehension. Is that too much to ask?

17-Oct-14
It is so easy to duel with an unarmed man.

This troll has repeatedly missed the point entirely. I should not take the time to educate him, but here goes.........("I'll Play"?.....Good Grief!)

Troll:

Regulating the output of a steam turbine usually involves controlling the flow, pressure, and temperature of steam entering the intake valves. This process results in reducing or increasing the output, usually measured in MW (Megawatts).

It is a purely mechanical/electrical action, and has nothing whatsoever to do with government control over the lives of citizens.

Is that clear, leftist tool?

17-Oct-14
It's scary such a tool is teaching kids. Sundowner, it's her not him.

17-Oct-14
"...and because nothing bad EVER happens with nuclear power plants! *AHHHHHH CHOOO FUKUSHIMA CHOOOO. sniff sniff, bless me! :) "

dockeating,

Do you understand the difference between fission and fusion as those terms pertain to nuclear reactors?

Your reference to Fukushima leads me to believe you don't.

17-Oct-14
"Do you understand the difference between fission and fusion as those terms pertain to nuclear reactors?"

No Dave, he doesn't. They don't teach that at Kos and Huffpo. They only teach that America is bad, you know.

17-Oct-14
This is no teacher. Just another liar/imposter. Maybe the same one, who knows. who cares.

But I do see a meltdown of some kind on the horizon....

17-Oct-14

itshot's embedded Photo
itshot's embedded Photo
""Ok, I'll play! Who, pray tell, will do the regulating? The owners of the plant? The "free market"? ""

no silly, it's an elect-o-mechanical device created by scientists

17-Oct-14
dock,

it's been a few days since I last thanked you & the crew, sorry bout that

keep up the good work

18-Oct-14
The popular press, aka OPRESS™, is far too often a source of scientific illiteracy. The concept of a small nuclear fusion reactor has been at the edge of science fiction reality for a number of years. Progress in actually creating a sustained controlled fusion reaction has been significant; but as of today, still in the future.

A little looking at what Lockheed/Martin's Skunkworks promo finds that there is actual little data or evidence backing up their claims.

Don’t Get Too Excited – No One Has Cracked Nuclear Fusion Yet

"... from the International Atomic Energy Agency's Fusion Energy Conference in St Petersburg, Russia, the world's leading conference on the development of fusion power. There was no announcement of research by Lockheed Martin, and the company did not field any scientists to report on their claims.

Lockheed Martin claims that its technology development offshoot, Skunk Works, is working on a new compact fusion reactor that can be developed and deployed in as little as ten years. The only technical details it provided are that it is a "high beta" device (meaning that it produces a high plasma pressure for a relatively weak magnetic field pressure), and that it is sufficiently small to be able to power flight and vehicles.

This isn't enough information to substantiate a credible program of research into the development of fusion power, or a credible claim for the delivery of a revolutionary power source in the next decade..."

The big problem is being able to contain the plasma such that the fusion reaction can be sustained. I'm sure that within our lifetimes we will see success, but not on the time-scale indicated by the PR release.

One thing for certain, is that once a system is developed that makes fusion plants available, similar to Moore's law WRT integrated circuits will apply and we will see smaller and smaller units come on line...perhaps such that BTTF's Mr. Fusion will become reality. ;o)

18-Oct-14
Sounds like the "International Community of Scientists" has had their hackles ruffled..... heheheheheh....

I can see a room full of Sheldons...... all throwing a hissy fit.... =D

I can see if a company has come across something and they really don't want to share it with the "International" community.... a community who feels it is something they should share in...... meh....

They may or may not have something. I surely don't know, don't have a clue. But I would be extremely, um, pleased..... if it were a private enterprise venture that did it.... and the "International" community could go pound sand....

I would imagine the first units would be for the military anyway.... but someday...... who knows???

We're getting PV installed on the house in a few months (10 kw system). We have a unique situation where we live. Hot and sunny nearly every day, all day, all year. The electric plants on Maui are oil fired, similar to what the big ships burn. Some are even diesel fired. Average $400-$500 a month in electric bills, near $700 when we run the AC, (which we stopped doing a couple years ago, only run it twice a month for an hour or so for maintenance).

Coupled with the tax credits involved.... heheheheh.... the system will pay for itself in roughly 4-5 years, (including being able to run the AC whenever we want again) With essentially "free" electric after that.

Panel life has a 25 year warranty. We currently have a small panel that powers the solar hot water pump and it still works fine after 30+ years. Have replaced 3 pumps, collectors once, tank once.... the panel just keeps on going, still original. Pretty much unlimited hot water for two families since upgrading to the new 120 gal tank a couple years ago.

The point being for that convoluted seemingly unconnected information above..... for me about 20, 25 years before they go online is just fine. Good timing, heheheheh.

If they were to go online in 5-10 years I'd be a bit hacked off.... =D

• Sitka Gear