Shuteye 21-Oct-14
slade 21-Oct-14
Owl 21-Oct-14
M.P. 21-Oct-14
Thumper 21-Oct-14
Bowmenbob 22-Oct-14
Shuteye 22-Oct-14
18-Oct-14
The crossgun industry accomplished that in MI several years ago. Mechanical rifles are all the rage.

Bad Bad Spikey...a cross bow thread on the Bowsite. Give this a few more posts and it will end up being "poofed"!

LOL

18-Oct-14
I remember the same thing when wheel bows were invented. It will be the end of deer, no fair, you must use a stick bow sine recurve bows aren't fair either. I have seen it all. You whipper snappers weren't born I guess. We have more deer now than ever and the limit on deer is almost no limit in Delaware and Maryland.

18-Oct-14
Guys I don't know what all the rage is about with the XBows. All iv seen are not as fast as my bow, and can't shoot as far Accurately. But all the guys using them are not a wear of that i guess. Now I have not seen all of them but the ones iv seen i was not impressed!

18-Oct-14
The SCDNR, in all it's wisdom, has eliminated the "Bow Only" season here. Archery season now coincides with muzzle loaders (which are no longer primitive weapons) and crossguns.

And it only runs for 11 days before the high powered rifles start blasting.

Also, up until this year, archers could take either sex at any time. Now archers must buy an Anterless Tag to take a doe.

And......In 4 of the 6 S.C. Game Zones, there is NO LIMIT on antlered bucks!!!

These guys are brilliant!!

18-Oct-14
The cross gun people are doing one state at a time. They did KS because a retired guy from western KS whose son is a wheel at ten-point crossguns spent lots of time at our legislature, THEREFORE our legislators ignored the advise of hundreds of Kansas bowhunters and cramed it down our thoats. It's just like the anti gunners, one little step at a time.

18-Oct-14
Like Shuteye, I remember when the same arguments were used against compound shooters. Verbatim. The components of crossbows comprise archery equipment. Period. If any argument is to be made to legitimize the "primitive" nature of archery season, then knock the wheels off of both bows and crossbows. Problem solved.

18-Oct-14
I have two friends here in Wis who hunt with the xbow. I don't see them decimating the deer population.

18-Oct-14
"A very smart man once told me that 90% of what we worry about never comes to pass."

Spike, for you I would put that at closer to 99%, but that might be an underestimate. :-)

18-Oct-14
Just hunt with a gun!

20-Oct-14
Since I retired I hunt with every legal weapon. I spend a lot more time taking pictures than shooting since I only need a few deer and can go every day. I would rather hunt with a handgun than any thing else. I killed my first deer 61 years ago and have not missed killing at least one deer every years since. It is much easier now since there are so many deer. The season here starts The first of September and runs until the end of January. Does are unlimited and the population keeps growing.

20-Oct-14
It's a separate license from the bow tag but if you have one you can pay $3 and get the other one. Only one buck between them though.

21-Oct-14
I would not have a problem with cross bows if they would only fire within one minute after cocking. After 60 seconds the thing would have to be cocked again before it would fire.

Then you might "get caught drawing" like other bowhunters do.

Seems only fair to me.

21-Oct-14
"Then you might "get caught drawing" like other bowhunters do. "

Shoot through mesh on Double Bull Blinds negate that argument. That, and the fact that experienced bowhunter know when to draw, and when not to.

21-Oct-14
I used to have a real problem with crossbows - I figured they'd be the bane of bowhunting. In reality, (at least here in MD) they haven't had nearly as much of an impact as the DNR breaking up the bow season with days/weeks of muzzleloader hunting interjected into what used to be "bows only" season.

I can honestly say that I'll never use one. I'll quit bowhunting before using one. They're too dang bulky/awkward, and they're WAY too heavy to be hauling any distance. Cripes you almost need one of those pull carts they use to haul a bag of golf clubs around in. My Bear Kodiak Hunter and Catquiver with 4 cedar shafts weighs a mere fraction of what a crossbow does. And the older I get, the lazier I get. :^)

21-Oct-14
Dave, you have a point about them being heavy. Also, many times I have killed two deer within two minutes with my recurve or wheel bow. Cocking a crossbow takes some doing and is nearly impossible to do from a climbing stand. The one great thing is a crossbow with scope should cut way down on wounding deer. I never shoot, with any weapon, unless I have a good shot.

21-Oct-14
I don't even care about this anymore. I haven't seen another bow hunter in 20 years. NOBODY even hunts anymore.

21-Oct-14
""I don't even care about this anymore. I haven't seen another bow hunter in 20 years. NOBODY even hunts anymore.""

I have read in some states this is the reason they allow crossbows, to help with deer population control.

21-Oct-14
Crossbows are a non-issue in VA. I understand crossbows in draw states may really screw the works. That's a valid issue but in primarily private land states where deer pops. are booming, it just doesn't factor.

21-Oct-14
all the xbow hunters in the world that actually ever hunt adds up to a really small number...just like the bow hunters that actaully hunt that I never see anymore.

21-Oct-14
Back when compounds first came out they were not much better or different than trad bows. They were slow compared to todays bows and most did not have sights. They had plunger rests or stick-ons. The only thing they had going for them was the let off. Shuteye, I was around those days too and I just don't remember the compounds being the end of bowhunting talk. Remember there was no internet or twitter to chat on. You may have heard it from the guys you worked with or the locals who hung around the sporting goods stores but that's about it. You didn't hear it from Field and Stream or Outdoor Life because that was advertising for them Sure ,the compound evolved and is a much much more of a killing machine than it was back in its early days, but you still have to draw and shoot not ready aim and fire like a gun. Who knows what they may evolve into. Look at how the crossbows have changed in the last few years

My opinion is that a crossbow (crossgun) is not a bow and those who hunt with them are not bowhunters.

21-Oct-14
It will change bowhunting just like the compound did, very small percentage of bowhunters now hunt with a recurve or long bow. Lot of crossbow hunters sure wish they still had both thumbs.

22-Oct-14
All it does is put guys out their that do know where to aim on deer.Its real joke ,I know guys that have some property and they are taking guys out to let them shoot deer for a price.Most of these guys never shot at a deer with a broad head.I wonder if im the only one upset about putting these guys out their with conventional archery,Let them go out during the gun season,I think their going to be around for along time.Its all about money for state and the archery shops.Not Happy

22-Oct-14
Thumper, I shot myself in the left arm with a recurve bow. I learned after that to check my Port Orford cedar shafts frequently. If they had a crack, throw them away. Tore a hole in my green and black checkered wool shirt too.

• Sitka Gear