gadan 23-Oct-14
RK 23-Oct-14
Pat C. 23-Oct-14
DL 23-Oct-14
Beendare 23-Oct-14
DL 25-Oct-14
Dan Van 26-Oct-14
22-Oct-14
I have officially become tired of lurking on the community forum only to find the same old political gripes and troll bashing. I need to get out in the fall air and enjoy the woods. I didn't move back from Wisconsin in time to claim residency and get my 2014 big game tags so I'm going for the next best thing and hunting varmints.

Now that I live in New Mexico where there is actually some public land to hunt on, I've been thinking about getting a .17 HMR rifle to do some small game hunting with.

I've been looking around the internet for articles and what not, and it's been helpful. But as always, nothing is as reliable as the Bowsite for good product feedback and equipment field use reports.

I don't want a high dollar gun, just something middle of the road that I can enjoy without breaking the bank. So I'd like to hear what some of you fellas have to say from your experience.

Thanks in advance boys!

22-Oct-14
I have a Savage, fairly inexpensive, with an Accutrigger. Shoots very well indeed. Heavy barrel, plastic stock. It groups well in varmint accuracy at any reasonably range for a 17 HMR. I think I paid $280 for it.

A friend owns a Ruger in 17HMR. I was able to pic which line I wanted to hit, and where, at 100 yards. Mine isn't that good, but it's not far behind. The Ruger is considerably more expensive, model is 77/17 I think.

Enjoy.

22-Oct-14
CZ's are tack drivers.

22-Oct-14
I was looking at them but wanted something with a little more punch out further. I went with a .204 Ruger using an AR platform. Two pins removed and I can have a .223 or a .204

22-Oct-14
I have the Ruger 77/17 and love it....I have. TC in 223 that is a tack driver for longer range....For man size stuf that yell Allah Akbar, I have a lil something for them also....

22-Oct-14
That is a good cartridge and I have a friend that has killed dozens of foxes and groundhogs with one. However, a 22 mag has more energy and will do the same thing out to 125 yards. The ammo is cheaper too, or at least it was.

The 17 is the king of speed but the 22 WMR is energy king out to 125 yards due to bullet weight. My friend kills foxes out to 150 yards with his single shot 17. If I am going to shoot that far I use 223, .222 or 22-250.

23-Oct-14
Owl,

Please excuse my ignorance...What is "CZ's"???

23-Oct-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

23-Oct-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here's a 22-250 and .204 comparison . I've got a TC in 22-250. Very nice shooter. Exit wounds on it are pretty severe.

23-Oct-14
Always good to have a .223 and a 7.62 rifle and ammo on hand in case of a Zombie Apocolipse.

23-Oct-14

Owl's Link
70, They are Chech made firearms. They have a stellar reputation among inveterate rimfire shooters. I suggest a perusal of a few rimfire forums. You'll get plenty of ideas.

A link to CZUSA's rimfire page.

23-Oct-14
70lb.

Some great advice here. I agree with Owl on all of his thoughts

I will give you my thoughts. I have three 17's. all rugers. Two 77 bolt rifles and one custom 10/22 magnum converted to 17

The 77's are extremely accurate

The only thing I have found with those rifles is that you have to clean the barrels relatively often compared to many other calibers in order to maintain that accuracy

Many of our clients bring 17's on their hunts and I have shot a lot of brands. Like Bad Karma said the savage is a nice rifle. The CZs are really nice. Some of the AR platform rifles were nice but I did not find them to be near as accurate as many others.

Good luck with whatever you decide on

23-Oct-14
My take; Yes the .204 ruger outperforms the other small caliber cartridges [ edit; as does the 22-250] but if you want an all around small game cartridge its hard to beat .223. Ammo is easier to find, many config's inc many effective hunting bullets and varmint rounds , decent performance, many different platforms.

An AR platform with a varmint barrel is pretty impressive. I have a LH bolt Savage that is a decent rifle....but my Rock river AR is more fun.

23-Oct-14
Agree with Beedare. If you are going to shoot alot, .223 ammo cost is hard to beat and fun fun fun.

23-Oct-14
I love this thread. I am getting totally geeked out on reloading these days....all magnum cartridges though .30 cal and up.

23-Oct-14
I have the Savage .17 HMR with a thumbhole stock and 3x9-40 scope. They are a GREAT gun value for the money. Bought it used for $150.

Love the way it shoots and it is more accurate than I am. I also have a .223/5.56 for more serious sized varmit shooting. A man can't have just one toy.

Although I did lose ALL my handguns in that boating accident!

23-Oct-14

widowshooter's embedded Photo
widowshooter's embedded Photo
I live in Modoc county Calif. we have this little critter called the Beldens ground squirrel, commonly called squeeks. With my CZ 455 chambered in 17 hmr. It is an absolute squeak killing machine out to 175 to 200 yrds. I have shot hundreds in a day, from one stand! The 17 hmr isn't an all around caliber, but for small stuff up to rabbit size, you just can't beat it. I suggest you try the rim fire forums, a good one is Rim fire central........lots of good info there The picture is not my rifle, but it is the exact set-up I have...........Ray

23-Oct-14
I love my savage .17 mach 2 but there is a lot of drift in windy conditions. The gun can take the butt off of a fly at 100 yds.

23-Oct-14
Widow shooter

Nice set up

I agree there are better calibers and more rounded ones but the OP was addressing 17 hmr caliber and rifles

JTV. I agree man it is impossible to top the 22-250. My personal favorite for pleasure and work. I keep my favorite one sighted in 2" high at a hundred and the others 1" high

SA are you reloading .338 Win. Mag. ?

23-Oct-14
Boy I wish I could move out west and then not have time for my buds here at the Com. forum. HE HE HE HE HE

23-Oct-14
Get one of each. You won't be disappointed with any of them. Guns are a great investment. I've never list money on any gun I've ever bought ad resold years latter.

23-Oct-14
Yeah, i get that the OP asked about the .17, but I took that as a question from someone with little experience with varmint type cartridges- thus my answer.

I'm not a .17 fan, case in point, my one rancher buddy has one we used to use on coons at his lighted feeder 100 yds off his back deck. He switched to .204 and never looked back...he wouldn't let you buy the .17 if you asked him.

25-Oct-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Have you seen the .17WSM. Its a rimfire so rounds are less expensive and the ballistics are impressive.

26-Oct-14
If money is an object, get a Savage. If money is no object, get a Savage. The 17 is a fine small game round and ammo is fairly common. If you don't handload, it may be your best bet. I got rid of mine, yes it was a Savage, since I do handload and went with the 22 hornet. More velocity, more options on bullet weight and configuration, and more economical to reload than buy 17 rimfire. Oh, and yes my 22 hornet is a Savage.

• Sitka Gear