bb 28-Oct-14
Dogsoldier 28-Oct-14
WinterHaven 28-Oct-14
NvaGvUp 28-Oct-14
WinterHaven 28-Oct-14
TwoDogs@work 29-Oct-14
BIGHORN 29-Oct-14
27-Oct-14
I've been a baseball fan for sixty years but don't think I've ever witnessed anything that even approaches Madison Bumgarner's World Series dominance.

He's started four WS games and is 4-0. In 31 innings he's given up just 12 hits, fanned 27 and has given up just one run. His career WS ERA is an astonishing 0.29.

Last night was an amazing thing to watch. He gave up four hits, one of which should have been an out had not Ishakawa misplayed the ball. That was scored as a double and the batter was the only Royal to reach second base. He walked no one. Bumgarner was in total control all the way and the Royals never even threatened.

The look on the face of several Royals players told the story in itself. They were baffled and in awe of Bumgarner's excellence.

27-Oct-14
Go Giants!

Hope Tim Hudson gets a ring.

Just wish Steve Perry would sing the Star-Spangled Banner.

Lewis sure flubbed it. And he can't reach the notes anyway.

:-)

27-Oct-14
Bumgartner has the lowest ERA of any pitcher- EVER- with over 25 innings in the playoffs- amazing. I've seen most of the top pitchers back to Sandy Koufax...and he is right there with the best. Many of the pitchers now benefit from only going twice through the lineup and being pulled so the hitters cannot get dialed in on them....Bum looked as strong in the 9th as he did in the first.

You have to hand it to the whole Giants team though. Its not like they won 1-0 last night- they crushed them. They have turned huge holes in their lineup- Perez, Blanco, Ishikawa- into positives.

Going to be a battle though. Both teams are scrappy...its not over yet.....

27-Oct-14
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that Madison Bumgarner can also HIT!

This year he batted .258 with four home runs.

27-Oct-14
And anybody really cares?

27-Oct-14
I do.

I love baseball.

I just hope the Braves make some/lots of changes next year. :-)

27-Oct-14
SB,

If you have no interest, then why post and disparage those who do?

27-Oct-14
I hope the royals tie it up. Just to make this great series go longer After that I don't really have a favorite

27-Oct-14
Bumgarner is outstanding, The team made some great plays behind him but neverthless, Outstanding....And then there's Hunter Pence...I'm am so pissed off that the Phillies traded him and got basically nothing for him...as a fan that's just agonizing every time I watch him play.

27-Oct-14
The Royals have a really good team also, It's no fluke they are playing in the W/S, I've seen this coming for a few years now. Their only problem is, as good as James Shields is, he's not a Bumgarner.

27-Oct-14
My dad took me to my first giants game at Seal Stadium next to the Hamms brewery the first year they came out. Been a long time coming but these last 6 years have been fun.

27-Oct-14
DL,

Ah, Hamms!

Back in the sixties, the Hamms ads were the best ads on TV.

"A beer is a beer is a beer is a beer, until you've tasted Hamms."

"From the land of sky blue waters."

27-Oct-14
I love those old Hamms commercials.

27-Oct-14
I fail to understand how any intelligent, caring, or moral person could cheer for anything from SF.

Not a baseball fan. A baseball game is 3 minutes of action crammed into three hours.

27-Oct-14
"A baseball game is 3 minutes of action crammed into three hours."

Are you sure you're not talking about football?

27-Oct-14
I'm not sure cheering is the right description, look at it like appreciating good teams and high quality players, regardless of who they're employed by.

27-Oct-14
Getting back to pitching...KC has this kid Ventura up next who is a real handful, He can give S/F problems.

27-Oct-14
I've heard the baseball is boring comments too many times..... Then spent time with friends, a girlfriend, whomever explaining pitch counts and the subtlties of the game- now all of them are true fans.

Even if you have never faced a pitcher with a 0-2 count and two out with a guy on second.... You can still learn the complexities.

27-Oct-14
Yes, there is definitely a lot of strategy to the game, that are missed by those with a casual interest.

27-Oct-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Giants like fast ball pitchers. They were commenting that Ventura gave up a home run in the play offs the other night. Ventura told the manager that would not happen again. Pow, Home run off Ventura. I'm more concerned about the Giants lack of pitching depth than KCs good pitching. For both teams to get in the World Series with their records requires incredible strategy. To the casual watcher you would not know this. The Giants lost 4 top players to injuries this year and its amazing they even got here.

Hey Kyle check this picture out. My brother makes custom knives and Matt Cain asked him to make one for him and one for Barry Zito's Foundation. He decided to get some Autographed baseballs, a jersey and some good seats at a game for them.

28-Oct-14
Giants do have a lack of pitching depth.

28-Oct-14
"A baseball game is 3 minutes of action crammed into three hours."

Soccer is supposed to be non stop no break action....

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz......

I was never what you would call a baseball "fan" but do appreciate the nuances.... I enjoy a good golf tourney as well, but have heard watching golf is like watching paint dry. If you've never seriously played the game, well, you just don't understand the "nuances" similar in some ways to baseball.

Something about the build up to a high tension dramatic moment that often comes in "play by play" sports, baseball, football, golf.... the anticipation builds to a moment of truth.. Much like bowhunting. Anticipation that builds to a moment.... well, of truth. Can't change the outcome once committed...

Rifle hunting is.... video games..... =D

28-Oct-14
I don't care about sports. I like to play sports but not watch others play. I'm in Missouri so I have to root for the Royals even though I haven't watch any games...lol

28-Oct-14
in terms of team sports, it doesn't get any better then baseball in October. the NHL playoffs and cup are a close second. Sunday's World Series was fun to watch, and much more entertaining then SNF.

I hope the series goes to 7 games. I have a feeling though the Giants are going to win it all tonight.

28-Oct-14
Having played hockey all my life and a cousin who spent years with NHL Central Scouting and coaching in the US Hockey league I'm well aware of the difficulties and nuances of that sport but I firmly believe the most difficult thing in sports is to be able to consistently hit major league pitching. I would much rather watch a good baseball game than a good hockey game although I would rather play Hockey...and football...I hate Football.

28-Oct-14
bb...LOL...football=..."Run 3 yards ,fall down, pile up...Run 3 yards ,fall down, pile up...Run 3 yards ,fall down, pile up...Run 3 yards ,fall down, pile up"

28-Oct-14
Bumgarner's post season has been masterful.. He is, sadly, done for the series now after 9 innings..

On another note, I do hope that KC wins... My farm is about 1/3rd of a mile from Ned Yost's.. So, the longer he's playing and celebrating/touring should they win, the greater chance one of his well fed deer will come visit me.. :D

28-Oct-14
Baumgarner better start getting ready for tomorrow night. KC is going to win this one I predict.

28-Oct-14
"He is, sadly, done for the series now after 9 innings."

Not exactly. With two days rest, he could easily throw two innings tomorrow night.

28-Oct-14
True.. And judging by tonight's game, they'll likely need him.

29-Oct-14
Going into Sunday night's game the Giants had a huge edge with the starting pitching with Baumgarner over Shields and that is how the game turned out. Last night the Royals had a big edge with Ventura against Peavy and that is how the game turned out.

Tonight with Guthrie facing Hudson the starting pitching should be fairly equal. Both teams will have well rested bullpens that are two of the best in baseball. The team that can score some early runs will have a big advantage as scoring runs against the bullpens will likely be tough.

29-Oct-14
We use to gather around the radio to listen to games when I was a kid. My favorite at that time was the NYY, one of my brothers was a Giants fan and the other was an Indians fan. My favorite pitcher was Whitey Ford.

• Sitka Gear