Two Feathers 29-Oct-14
Ace 29-Oct-14
Two Feathers 29-Oct-14
SteveCOontheroad 30-Oct-14
28-Oct-14

gflight's embedded Photo
gflight's embedded Photo

gflight's Link
Would you take the shot at a Twelve Point Albino Buck with a Crossbow?

28-Oct-14
No but I have no problem with that young man shooting it with a crossbow. Congratulations to him and screw all those people that are condemning him.

28-Oct-14
I would have no hesitation about shooting an albino game animal or game bird. I actually have an albino Gadwall I shot in South Dakota back in 1973 or thereabouts. That's the only albino duck I've ever even seen, and I've spent a LOT of time in a duck blind.

I know less than zero about crossbows, so no comment on that part.

28-Oct-14
At least to this point in my life the crossbow is a moot point; I've tried a few out that friends have had for first-hand experience and don't consider them to be even as good, let alone superior to a top-rate compound bow.

That being said the bigger issue to me in reading the story is how many people are quick to rush to judgement. Does the author think an 11-year old has any clue as to how rare an albino deer is? Or even the average hunter for example?

The posting on Facebook wasn't well-thought out; posting on a hunting forum would have been much more appropriate. I don't feel any shame or any need to defend being a bowhunter but I think we should try to be sensitive to the feelings of others provided it doesn not infringe on our pursuits.

The reaction of some people towards an 11-year old are simply despicable.

28-Oct-14
"Removing it from the gene pool strengthens the herd."

Yes it does...

28-Oct-14
I'd shoot an albino deer egg, if one rolled by.

Don't have a crossbow so...........

28-Oct-14
Crossbow, rifle, stick bow doesn't matter. Congrats to the young man.

As mentioned above albinism is recessive. Best to get it out of gene pool. By the size of it, my guess is that deer did some breeding.

28-Oct-14
Sure thing.

28-Oct-14
I'd be bloodtrackin' before you finished the question.

28-Oct-14
Of course...part of doc's worldview. Read the source of the linked article:

Editor's note: Ruben Navarrette is a CNN contributor, Daily Beast columnist and a nationally syndicated columnist with the Washington Post Writers Group.

The author is neither a biologist nor a hunter, but just another liberal shill with a canned message.

Local outdoors writers have written about this young man and his albino deer in a much more even manner...mostly with a lot of support from not only other hunters, but also the DNR and the fact that by law, this was a totally legal kill.

Genetically, albinism is a recessive genetic trait and removal from the gene pool does no harm to the overall health of the deer herd. Besides the lack of pigmentation, other defects often accompany the presence of albinism. By predator or disease, they rarely survive. In fact, the MI DNR supports shooting of albino and piebald deer (I'd actually would love to shoot one of them over an albino.)for just this fact.

It is sad that so many piled on this young man with a fine legally shot deer. When we see a decreasing population of hunters, success should be acknowledged and more youth encouraged to participate.

Doc's comment further cements just what he is.

28-Oct-14
Since I have the Kermode (spirit) Black Bear over in my mainland hunting area and there is no Ak law against shooting one like there is in Canada ... I talk it over with my hunters. I would say that the majority of my hunters have stated that they would not shoot the rare Bear if it presented itself. In fact some were very adamant about not shooting any White animal ... calling it bad JuJu.

But on the other hand most would shoot the rare Blue (glacier) Black Bear, which we have taken one in many years and sighted a few more.

28-Oct-14

bluedog's embedded Photo
bluedog's embedded Photo
Picture taken in 2009... took it from truck. They were feeding the herd supplemental hay in the park.

There's about a dozen white deer in the deer herd over in Father Hennepin Park. It's about 10 miles from me ..

Cool thing about these is i understand they are not albino..

Not too uncommon for somebody to bag a white or pie bald deer up here..

Doubtful I'd shoot one myself.I admit to a bit of thinking it'd be bad karma .. maybe. been told that and could be. Why push it? ;)

Don't care if anybody else does though...these days main criteria for me is young and tender. Plus bigger deer are more work handling. ;)

28-Oct-14

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
Here is a White one we took a few days ago.

28-Oct-14
it was a DNR worker who told me they are not albino. I'm not certain on it though. I think the regular deer are prettier...

28-Oct-14
Muskeg... so you guys take spikes huh? ;)

Saw my first live one like that in the wild last week. It was a small nanny. (Maybe it wasn't small since it's the first one i ever saw.. dunno.)

It was placidly grazing about 40 yards away. i was walking back to parking lot at Mt. Rushmore... Didn't know they were in black hills but there it was...

28-Oct-14

bluedog's Link
Dang I love Google...

Mountain goats were introduced to Black Hills in 1924 and now number more than 200... Huh.

28-Oct-14
I be in jail here in IA. it's illegal to shoot albino deer in the state.

28-Oct-14
the OP link is to a very oddly written story with a video that has nothing to do with story other than both involve albino deer....strange

the pic, on the other hand, is very cool

Congrats to the lucky young man and his dad!

28-Oct-14

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo

28-Oct-14
After you skin 'em they all look the same.

28-Oct-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Superstitious?

28-Oct-14
Bluedog,

Typically Albino would have pink eyes and nose. Check the nose in the OP. Its pink and it looks like the eyes are too.

That deer in your post might not be an albino as you state. The deer has what looks to be black or brown eyes. Cant really tell about the nose. I am up in the air on that one.

Just to confuse things I have also seen pictures of melanistic deer which are black.

28-Oct-14
Tigereye.. I think the noses on the normal deer looked the same way. It was about 15 below if I remember right... it was frosty. Like i said, the DNR guy said they were not albino... I believe him, just not 100%..

29-Oct-14
Bluedogs picture is a leusistic deer not an albino. As others have stated they should be culled because albinism carries genetic vision problems that can be passed on.

29-Oct-14
I'm actually surprised that the buck made it as long as it did, and wasn't killed as a six month old button/spike.

Would I kill it as a boy of his age - you betcha. Would I kill as an old phart today - nope. But it has nothing to do with the fact that its an albino deer.

And I wouldn't be hunting with a crossbow.

29-Oct-14
Sure thing.

29-Oct-14
Yep ! No hesitation here.

29-Oct-14
I would shoot it with my recurve!

Isn't there a military base in NY that has a large white deer population?

29-Oct-14
Really Spike? I never heard that, pretty cool, my son is at UMO, might have to check that out.

29-Oct-14

Two Feathers's Link
The old Seneca Army Depot in Seneca, NY has the largest number of white deer in the USA.

30-Oct-14
Sure thing.

• Sitka Gear