HA/KS 31-Oct-14
HA/KS 31-Oct-14
BIGHORN 31-Oct-14
bluedog 31-Oct-14
Owl 01-Nov-14
Owl 01-Nov-14
HA/KS 01-Nov-14
30-Oct-14
So now you are falling for the tripe on a greenie website?

30-Oct-14
How can right wingers be accused of being "distrustful of the motives of others," when we are the ones who want to decentralize power and return self-determination to each and every one of our neighbors?

Leftist and "liberals" want to remove - by threat of force - resources, voice and power from their neighbors. Who is distrustful?

There is no better metaphor for trust than firearms. Right wingers (conservatives, libertarians) want everyone to have them. Leftist only want government to have them. Case closed. I cannot help much that you are self-deceived but you will not deceive here unchallenged.

30-Oct-14
Glad you posted it Spike.

We have a GMO labeling amendment on the ballot this year in Colorado.

I've long been an advocate of organic food products from my own experience relating to my personal health improvements which I shared here before. I don't really care what people choose to eat when it comes to GMO vs. non-GMO food products. It's simply a personal choice that people should make based on their understanding of the science or their own personal health experience.

I've come to that conclusion largely by reading as much as possible from scientific research posted by HA and PD in addition to the science of more independent research sources. I still haven't made up my mind on the science one way or another.

I do believe that consumers need to be able to easily identify food products as either GM or non-GM foods and support labeling for that reason. I also understand the distribution/infrastructure problems facing farmers and the food industry with regard to governments requiring such labeling. I would much prefer that labeling become voluntary (unlikely) than the creation of another government bureaucracy to force labeling. I think the food industry, at least outside of restaurants, have provided a way to determine the type of food consumers are purchasing although it takes substantial due diligence on the part of consumer, despite attempts by the biotech giants like Monsanto running interference and putting the onus for labeling on non-GM producers. Probably in part why organic foods are more expensive.

Having spent countless hours reading the scientific research from multiple sources and still being undecided on the long term health and environmental health risks of GM foods, HA and PD should be happy to know I voted NO on the amendment to force GM labeling. I think it consistent with my principles. Finding free market solutions over government mandated ones are part of those principles.

Of course, that doesn't mean I am ready to start being a consumer of those products. It also doesn't mean I don't reserve the right to change my mind. I will gladly absorb the higher cost in avoiding those products for myself and family. We will continue to produce, hunt/fish and forage most of our foods. I would estimate that this provides around 75% of our current diet and the small income from exchanging or selling any excess production offsets most of the increased costs. It's a LOT of work but it's been highly self satisfying, educational and I don't plan on changing course. It has given me great respect for those early Americans and others who provided for themselves without the modern convenience of the super market.

30-Oct-14
200 million? Hahaha. Glad they think that's all there is.

30-Oct-14
"Can you imagine every nut and wack job being able to own a weapon?"

They already do. But the Democrap Libs keep creating gun free zones, so that ONLY the nut and wack jobs are armed.

Good post, Spike. I noticed the flavor of vegetables while in Germany and France this year, was so much better than the GMO crap from Piggly Wiggly. ( GMOs are not allowed in the EU )

30-Oct-14
Dock, someone is going to have to prove they are incapable of exercising their rights responsibly before I would advocate the deprivation thereof. But, going with your pallid dodge, I'd still rather arm EVERYONE than merely arm governments. Combined, crazy individuals may have killed tens of thousands of innocents throughout history. Governments have hundreds of millions.

Your people want to disarm women, minorities and the elderly because it makes you feel safer to make a victim of your neighbors. You own that whether you like or it not. People like you are the ones who sent Dawn Hochsprung futilely to her death in an empty handed, yet, heroic vain attempt to thwart someone who doesn't care about laws.

Still waiting on your thesis.

31-Oct-14

HA/KS's Link
tony, sorry to disillusion you, but very few vegetables are GMO even in the US. You have a very active imagination. Unless you were eating a lot of yellow squash and zucchini, any difference had zilch to do with GMO

31-Oct-14

HA/KS's Link
More information that anti GMO nazis are just as dishonest as the rest of the leftists.

31-Oct-14
Spike, there are not two equal sides to every story. Some have a true and a false or a right/wrong. Others are just opinion and do have two sides.

Saying that there are two sides to every story just gives equal status to the true and false.

31-Oct-14

tonyo6302's Link
HA/KS

From your link,

GMO = corn, soy, papaya, sugar beets, zucchini and yellow summer squash, chard, table beets, Siberian kale, bok choy, Chinese cabbage, turnips, acorn squash, delicata squash, patty pan, wheat, rice, flax, acorn squash, bok choy, bread, cereal, pasta, ice cream, fried foods, crackers, cookies, chocolate, alcohol, peanut butter, soy cheese, protein powder, hot dogs, hamburgers, mayonnaise, white vinegar, chips, vanilla, baking powder, veggie burgers, meat substitutes and tofu.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/370046-examples-of-gmo-foods/

My wife even noticed how good the salads were in Germany and France.

I do believe that your link is supportive of my taste buds opinion.

Maybe, it could also be they are using old world vegetable seeds, instead of hybrids. Or maybe also the local brewed Heffeweisen with the meal made it taste better.

But I won't back down on the corn. It was absulutely wonderful, as was the pasta (SpƤtzle).

31-Oct-14
tony, the article says that there are 9 crops that in the US are 90% GMO. It lists a few more that may be but generally are NOT GMO.

Your posting is factually misleading. Many processed foods in the US contain elements from GMO crops. Very few of our fresh foods (corn, papaya, and summer squash) are GMO .

From the link:

nine crops are considered high risk for being genetically modified: alfalfa, cotton, canola, corn, soy, papaya, sugar beets, zucchini and yellow summer squash.

Low-Risk GMO Vegetables

In addition to the high-risk crops, there are crops that are monitored by the Non-GMO Project for genetic pollution, which can potentially result in genetically modified varieties. The Non-GMO Project notes that the vegetables in this group include chard, table beets, Siberian kale, bok choy, Chinese cabbage, turnips, acorn squash, delicata squash and patty pan.

31-Oct-14
"Your posting is factually misleading. "

My posting is from your link, and I even included it.

I will cut and paste now, directly from your link:

GMO Examples

According to the Institute for Responsible Technology, examples of foods that may contain GMO ingredients include bread, cereal, pasta, ice cream, fried foods, crackers, cookies, chocolate, alcohol, peanut butter, soy cheese, protein powder, hot dogs, hamburgers, mayonnaise, white vinegar, chips, vanilla, baking powder, veggie burgers, meat substitutes and tofu. The Non GMO Shopping Guide notes that you can avoid GMO food by purchasing certified organic foods, which are free of GMOs. You can also look for foods that have a Non GMO Project seal.

Corn and Soy

Because corn and soy are such a versatile crops, they are put to use in various forms across the food supply. The Institute for Responsible Technology notes that ingredients derived from soybeans that are likely to be genetically modified include soy protein, soy isolates, soy lecithin, vegetable proteins, tofu, tempeh, tamari and soy protein supplements. Common ingredients made from corn, which are likely to be genetically modified, include corn flour, corn gluten, corn syrup, corn starch, corn meal and high-fructose corn syrup. For any foods that contain vegetable oils, including canola, cottonseed, corn or soy, there is a good chance that genetically modified versions have been used.

All the above is from your link !!!!!!!

My Note: Quite a few items from above go into a salad.

( EDIT: deleted my statement about wheat )

31-Oct-14
I've read enough factual stuff on GMO products to know they are safe...

31-Oct-14
I just really don't know.

. . . and I don't know what to believe, since so many websites speak different about it.

Most health websites tell you to look for a non GMO label.

For instance with wheat, GMO wheat has not been appproved for sale in the US, yet some websites have it listed, and they just busted a place in Montana that was growing it.

31-Oct-14
tony... maybe biggest difference in your experience was freshness?...

Ten years ago 2/3 of our produce and fruit was imported across the border (west port in Nogales, Arizona) from Mexico and South America.. Doubt that has changed.

"Freshness" measured in weeks instead of days..

I have no major concerns regarding GMO.. I do strongly feel GMO status should be posted on product so the consumer has a right of choice however.. Counting on this being done voluntarily is very wishful thinking IMO.

31-Oct-14
Just remember that the people who are wanting to prevent farmers from growing GMO crops also want to prevent them from allowing you to hunt on the same farmer's land.

They are the same people who say that a kitten has rights but an unborn baby does not. They want to outlaw burning coal, but take your money to build windmills that produce more expensive electricity and kill millions of birds.

Not only do they not want farmers to have the right of ownership of their own land, they also do not want you to have the right to own a firearm, or eat a steak.

31-Oct-14
BD, you probably hit on the difference. I guarantee that nobody can taste the difference between GMO and non-GMO anything if all else is constant.

The American food industry has changed a lot. At one time people were willing to buy and eat whatever was available. Tomatoes were available fresh for a few weeks each summer, etc. Now people expect them year-round. The industry has responded by growing varieties that hold up to shipping and have a longer shelf life, often at the cost of freshness and flavor.

"Day old bread" used to mean bread that was baked yesterday. Now it just means bread that has passed the expiration date which may be 10 days or more after it was baked.

31-Oct-14

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
tonyo6302's embedded Photo
HA/KS, the first GMO Tomatoes were discontinued due to taste. That was years ago.

Bluedog,

"maybe biggest difference in your experience was freshness?... "

. . . . yes, could be that, or a Heffeweisson chaser . . . . .

;^)

Photo is from up on a hillside vinyard in Trier Germany. The Wife tells me that Germans buy little plots of land, build a little shack on it, and grow their own vegetables. They sometimes spend the whole weekend at those shacks, then back into the city for work.

31-Oct-14
The taste problem was not a GMO problem, but a variety problem. A BT or Roundup-ready tomato will taste exactly like any other tomato of that variety. The problem is that to inject the gene requires making a new variety. In general, only one variety in hundreds or thousands ends up being viable for commercial or even home production.

31-Oct-14
You may not be saying it, Spike, but the people publishing the anti-GMO trash on the Internet and other places are saying exactly that.

31-Oct-14
dockeating sure sounds like Gene Jockey.

31-Oct-14
Merle... not even close to GJ

01-Nov-14
Same character but hugely disparate in demonstrable intellect. Like comparing Alan Grayson to Hillary Clinton.

01-Nov-14
As for the topic, I know a grocery store tomato has to ride from Mexico or Cali and will stay "fresh" for longer than a week in the refer. A locally grown tomato will rot in a few days if purchased ripe. But it tastes like heaven and does not look like it was dipped in wax or lime.

01-Nov-14
That is exactly true, Owl.

• Sitka Gear