Mike in CT 01-Nov-14
Mike in CT 01-Nov-14
Owl 02-Nov-14
Dave G. 03-Nov-14
Owl 03-Nov-14
Dave G. 03-Nov-14
31-Oct-14

Mike in CT's Link
I've had the pleasure of meeting Randy Rasmussen and he embodies the American success story; a man with vision and a great idea is launching a revolution in rapid diagnostics.

Futher posts to detail a very important and very recent contribution, especially relevant today.

31-Oct-14

Mike in CT's Link
This test shortens the time to confirm (or rule out) Ebola from 12 hours to 1 hour.

If anyone wants to read a feel-good story read about Randy's. He started this company (originally named Idaho Technology) in a potato equipment shop in Idaho as a self-financed endeavor.

31-Oct-14
Awesome! Entrepreneurship will be what saves this country! Of lack of same will be what doomed it.

This administrations anti business attitude (small business in particular) shows me what they are aiming for.

31-Oct-14
Come on... Obama is very pro business..... just look at Solyndra, Fisker, etc....

31-Oct-14
Mike, don't you watch 60 minutes? He is just getting rich at the expense of desperate people. He should be ashamed of taking advantage of people when they are in need!

31-Oct-14
AND Hillary says business does not create jobs!!!! She wants to run this country!!!

01-Nov-14
Henry,

Believe me I did think of the premise of tha old thread when posting this.

One interesting aspect of this story is that the assay was originally developed for the military; by law the military must be provided with the lowest possible market pricing by vendors.

I think it speaks volumes about the motive to serve when you pour resources into the development of a diagnostic test knowing ahead of the fact that your reimbursement for those efforts will be at the bottom of the scale.

The FDA's clearance for the public health sector is under the "Emergency Authorization Use" category so when this crisis passes the company will still need to go through the whole 510k clearance process to continue to market the test to the public health sector.

While the test is out there anything that could be construed as undermining the quality of the product (reliability, PPV (positive predicative value)) could compromise the eventual FDA clearance being granted.

In a nutshell, the company is putting public health and safety ahead of the profit motive-the EUA puts them in a position more slanted towards "everything to lose".

01-Nov-14
Don't worry Mike. If he does end up benefitting humanity and making some money, he'll still be a selfish bastard.

It's only if he loses everything that he'll get any kudos from the left. Then he'll have had "good intentions".

01-Nov-14
Mike, you do know that my post was 100% tongue-in-cheek?

I believe that all entrepreneurs deserve 100% of their profit. I even cringe at "price gouging" rules during a shortage. I don't think that I would ever do it, but think it should be legal. I think that anti-monopoly laws caused the great depression and the great recession.

01-Nov-14
Henry,

No worries; I took it as a playful jab at the current "expert-on-all", fauxDoc. I got quite a kick out of it to be honest!

01-Nov-14
I got a haircut at the local cosmetology school this week. The young lady who cut my hair has 3/4 of a chemistry degree and is now half way through cosmetology school.

She plans to get her cosmetology license, then return to the university to finish her chemistry degree.

Then what? She wants to do research to develop better personal care products. I asked where she wants to live. She thinks either Denver or Texas. I asked what companies she could work for in those places.

"Work for? I plan to start my own company!"

Her family are Greek immigrants and she still believes in the American dream. America's not dead!

I hope she makes millions.

01-Nov-14
Henry,

Great story and thanks for sharing! This again epitomizes that the American dream is as alive and achievable as anyone wants it to be. We can choose to take control of our destiny or we can choose to believe the lie that the deck is somehow stacked against "the little guy" and that the only hope for said group is the nanny state.

Kudos to an outstanding young woman and I've no doubt she will build something through her own endeavors and commitment to succeed.

01-Nov-14

Mike in CT's Link
So to say that I or progressives are anti business is another myth forwarded by a misguided Right Wing that continues to shoot themselves in the foot.

Link provided to show just how "business friendly" CT has been under one-party (D) rule.

I also find the above comment incredibly humerous given your one-man demagoguing of the Pharmaceutical Industry a month ago.

"should be against the law for doctors to receive any money or compensation for their treatment decisions."

"Regardless if its 60 Minutes or any other outlet, the fact remains that its pure greed that drives drug companies to charge what they charge. And yes, thats capitalism at its finest."

Oh yeah, definitely the mantra of the pro-business, pro-capitalism type.....

02-Nov-14
What are the names of the restaurants, dock?

03-Nov-14
Would those be relatives raised solely by your mother, or were they also sent to school with black eyes on numerous occasions by your supposed absent father?

03-Nov-14
dock,I don't know a single restaurant offering those benefits and remaining open much less profitable. If you have a reference, the business model is of interest to me. And, if you are as altruistic as you claim, you should want to spread the news.

But I suspect these restaurants are as real as your thesis.

03-Nov-14
"Like I said, some people are just hateful assholes"

I agree...I absolutely hate liars and untrustworthy SOB's.

• Sitka Gear