HA/KS 20-Nov-14
The Old Sarge 21-Nov-14
HA/KS 21-Nov-14
tonyo6302 21-Nov-14
HA/KS 26-Nov-14
HA/KS 26-Nov-14
20-Nov-14

HA/KS's Link
I posted this earlier, but couldn't find that thread. A former student will be awarded the Navy Cross on 11/25. I will not pretend that he was always the model student :-)

From the link:

On Sept. 28, 2011, Wilson was on his third deployment to Afghanistan with Marine Special Operations Team 8113. He volunteered to accompany Sprovtsoff, the team's explosive ordnance disposal technician, to remove an improvised explosive device from a nearby checkpoint manned by the Afghan Local Police in the Upper Gereshk valley of Helmand province — a dangerous and sensitive task.

Sprovtsoff was just beginning his task of inspecting the device when there was a large explosion. The EOD tech was severely wounded, and Wilson was disoriented by the blast. Even though he knew it was likely the insurgents had placed more IEDs nearby, Wilson knew what he had to do.

Staff Sgt. Nicholas Sprovtsoff Staff Sgt. Nicholas Sprovtsoff(Photo: MARSOC) According to his medal citation, the corpsman immediately left his safe position and searched around the checkpoint until he found Sprovtsoff. While he was tending to the wounded Marine with the help of Diaz and another team member, another IED detonated. The blast wounded Wilson severely, and ultimately led to the death of the two Marines. In the chaos, and despite the shock of his injuries, Wilson became single-minded.

"Ignoring the pain of his own injuries, [Wilson] focused solely on treating his fellow team members," his citation states. "He dragged one outside the checkpoint and rendered aid until he succumbed, and then searched for the other casualties, who had been blown over the barriers by the second blast. Only after confirming they were already dead did he allow treatment of his own wounds."

21-Nov-14
Be proud you knew such a young man, Henry.

21-Nov-14
I am honored to have been part of his life. I worked with his father, taught him and his siblings. I take no credit for his service, but an honored that he serves us all. The pride belongs to him, his fellow servicemen, and his family.

And, yes, Justin was a willing to take a risk - even in high school.

21-Nov-14
I hope he heals from all his wounds.

Truly, I can say I never met a Navy Corpsman that wasn't worth his weight in gold.

Can't say the same for Navy Doctors.

I really enjoyed working with the Navy Corpsmen from 1 MarDiv. We had to take Recruits up to Camp Pendleton for basic grunt stuff, and drew Corpsmen from the grunts while up there.

Down at the MCRD, the Corpsmen hands were tied with slacker and sick bay commandos. Not so at Pendleton.

Slackers would feign sick or sprains, and climb into the "truck of shame" while on a conditioning hike ( force march in Leatherneck jargon ).

The Corpsman from 1MarDiv, hiking along with us, I need to add, would periodically check the Recruits in the truck. He, no sh!t, would physically throw those feigning illness out of the back of the pickup, swearing long sirens that only a Sailor can do.

I truly enjoyed watching the show, and hearing the thuds as they hit the ground.

( 1MarDiv Corpsmen were not beholden to the MCRD San Diego S.O.P. These were hard charging grunt corpsman, and didn't take any sh!t off no one )

Corpsmen are the greatest !!

26-Nov-14

HA/KS's Link
Posted today:

Camp Pendelton, CA. Today is a great day for our nation recognized a very special man, a tremendous hero -- Chief Petty Officer Justin Wilson who was awarded our country's second highest award for valor, the Navy Cross. In his acceptance speech, Justin mentioned three central themes: honor, courage and commitment. Words that have great meaning. And to warriors like Justin, they are oaths that transcends even battlefields -- watch words for a successful and prosperous life especially despite great odds and seemingly insurmountable circumstances.

Justin runs our annual Cast n Blast in his home town of Cawker City, KS. We are honored to know him and his wonderful family and friends. We are thankful for his continued service and commitment to our nation. Semper Fidelis brother! Always faithful. Yours, very truly and respectfully.

26-Nov-14
It makes me proud to be an American and gives me hope for the future of our country that we can raise such fine men. Too many times these are awarded posthumously and I am glad to know this young man is alright. Unfortunately every medal is "earned" with blood and sacrifice and that is the part I hate.

26-Nov-14
SA, he was there for his, but the other two died. War is a dangerous business.

• Sitka Gear