Two Feathers 22-Dec-14
Bluetick 22-Dec-14
Owl 22-Dec-14
Bluetick 22-Dec-14
20-Dec-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

midwest's Link
Oh, the horror!!! Picture rejected by yearbook commitee!

Thankfully, common sense prevailed. Story at my link.

20-Dec-14
good for Her bet of luck !!

20-Dec-14
Yes, great for her!

20-Dec-14
When I was 16 and got my drivers license I took my shotgun to school in the trunk of my car every day during hunting season. Hunted before and after school. That was 1969. Didn't have quite as nice a gun but a lot more freedom:) Good for her.

20-Dec-14
My dad brought a rifle into shops class this was about 35-40 years ago in order to measure it out and make a gun case or gun cabinet I can't remember which. Some of the same teachers were there 10 years ago when I went through but I can tell you it wouldn't of flown for me to do the same thing!!

20-Dec-14
I graduated in 76 and we kept our shotguns in our lockers. The only problem we had was skipping 5th and 6th period to go hunting!! Glad she and her father stood up to these pin heads!

20-Dec-14
Charlie: Us old farts remember what it was like in those days. I was a member of my high school's RIFLE club, and we'd go to a range and shoot after school and on those days we'd bring our.22's to school and keep them in the principal's office. And this was in suburban New Jersey!!! This was in 1968-1970.

My...how things have changed!!!

One more memory....

I trapped all through high school(and college), and one day for biology class the teacher had me skin a muskrat so the class could see the anatomy. Naturally I brought my Case trappers knife to do it with and they didn't bat an eye!

Today they'd call the SWAT team and have my parents arrested.

21-Dec-14
When I was in high school, I graduated in 1960, I had a bow or gun in my car all the time. The teachers all knew it since there were only 24 students in my class. They would ask me in the morning what I killed yesterday afternoon, after school. All of us boys had knives and the shop teacher let us sharpen them in ship class and actually taught knife sharpening. It was handy since the shop had great sharpening stones and I trapped and used my skinning knives every evening during the season.

Good news for the young lady. I wish there were more like her. My daughter and wife both shoot.

21-Dec-14
Charlie, as a class of '69 kid growing up in the rural Sierra Nevada mountains in northern California, I did the same thing. The only difference was my rifle was in the gun rack across the back window of my Dad's '56 Chevy pickup.

Do they even sell gun racks for pickups these days?

21-Dec-14
I also graduated in 1960. Since we lived way out in the country, my friend and I would get up early and hunt some spots on the way to school. We would do the same thing on the way home.

Often at lunch hour, we would go out to my car with some friends to look at our hunting weapons. We had deer rifles, shotguns for pheasant hunting and of course hunting knives. Here we would be standing on the sidewalk in front of the school looking and aiming our rifles.

The difference is, nobody shot anyone back then. Our fathers were WWII veterans and came back to start families and a good life.

If there was a rare shooting, the press didn't blow it up. They just reported it and that was the end. Now they go through every detail, why did he do it, who's fault was it. A shooting is in the headlines every day for weeks and those nuts who read it, think gosh I feel that way too, I think I will go out and shoot some people.

22-Dec-14
Middle 1980's here....

I made a gun rack in shop class. Teacher sent it to a competition and it won an award. Bet that wouldn't happen today!

I am happy to say that our high school has an active sportsman's club. They go to 3D bow shoots and travel down to Sparta to shoot various trap competitions.

Several local business men donated money so they could purchase a trailer to haul their gear. Dad built and installed the cabinets and racks inside the trailer for free. The boys have a nicer setup for travel than any other group or sport at the school!!! Or any other school in the area for that matter.

22-Dec-14
WOW, You would be hard pressed to find one senior picture of my son last year that did not have a gun in it. Living in Wyoming does have it's advantages!

FYI-Wyoming state takes no exception to weapons on school property-It's the feds that take exception. We know this by first hand experience! Kids will be kids:-).

22-Dec-14
"rejected by a faculty member on the yearbook committee due to the weapon" I wonder if the faculty member is now feeling rejected?

I like her flick!

22-Dec-14
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that picture. Except that gun. Seriously, that stock is uglier than homemade sin.

22-Dec-14
I am willing to accept the laminate stock but cannot bear the inherent discordance of the retriever and a rifle. ;)

Good for her. And good for her folks who held fast.

22-Dec-14

Bluetick's embedded Photo
Bluetick's embedded Photo

22-Dec-14
Very pretty young woman. Her parents should be proud...and the school district should be commended for not giving into the BS around firearms.

• Sitka Gear