sureshot 01-May-15
Woods Walker 01-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 02-May-15
Woods Walker 02-May-15
Two Feathers 03-May-15
jrhurn mobile 05-May-15
28-Apr-15

Shuteye's Link
Now here is a mom that doesn't want her son out there causing problems. The world need more moms like her.

28-Apr-15
She was really ticked off and I would like to shake her hand.

28-Apr-15
Reminds me of my Mom.

But my Mom almost broke her wrist on me when I was about 13. After that, it was Sears Catalogs flying though the air towards my brain housing group, and Mom swinging a broomstick like Dimaggio, trying to connect with ANY part of me.

( Yep, I deserved every bit of it, if not more )

( She was only 4 ft 10, 90 lbs with church clothes on )

( For you young'uns, back in my youth, a Sears Catalog was the thickest and heaviest monthly rag in the world, it dwarfed the NYC phone book )

28-Apr-15
Reminds me of this one time Mom was "adjusting" my behavior, and I just picked her up and set her on top of the refridgerator.

Yep, it was all laughter and fun . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . until Dad got home . . . . . . . . . . . . . ya just GOT to love those 1 X 1 guided trips to the woodshed.

. . . . Why does my butt hurt all the sudden ?

28-Apr-15
So now we know where the violence comes from. Punish kids that way when they're young and they grow up violent. Disrespect is the big word in some cultures. You disrespect someone and that's cause for a violent response. I do not understand that.

28-Apr-15
I caught an interview with the woman in question. She says she and her son have been reading the responses on Facebook, (overwhelmingly positive) and he tells her he's glad she stepped in and stopped his errant behavior. BTW, my father was pretty handy with a belt or an open hand, I'm not sure which was worse, and I am not normally a violent man. I respected him every day of his life, moreso now that he's gone.

But on the other hand now we also know where a complete lack of respect for parents or anyone in authority comes from.

BTW, of all the things you could accuse a Marine of, lack of respect for legitimate authority is not high on the list.

Edit: I would venture a guess that most of the "kids" we've seen looting and burning had virtually NO structure or discipline in their lives early on. This behavior is not the product of strict discipline. This behaviour is violent and criminal because they believe they can get away with it and sadly many will.

29-Apr-15

Thumper's embedded Photo
Thumper's embedded Photo

29-Apr-15
Every disrespectful 'kid' deserve a little parenting !! I received a lot of 'parenting' when needed!

Respect is something one earns. And I definitely respected my parents! Nothing I hate more to see is 'kids' acting up and the parents DO NOTHING!! ""THAT"" is what is wrong with society today!

29-Apr-15
Tony, I certainly remember the Sears catalog. I also remember the girls in school all turning to page 121, one year, to check out the guy modeling underwear. Somehow the editors failed to notice the guy had something hanging below where the leg ended. How that ever got printed was amazing. This was back in the day when nothing like that was never seen in print. Bet someone got fired.

29-Apr-15
I certainly am not an authority on child punishment, and rarely spanked my own. ( standing in the "corner" worked very well with mine )

However, I can tell apart a kid at Walmart that has received a spank or two, from those that have never.

01-May-15
"However, I can tell apart a kid at Walmart that has received a spank or two, from those that have never."

I agree, most kids learn after the first couple times that it is not worth the price. My mom was hell on wooden spoons and you hoped it would not break because that would really make her mad. We always thought my buddy's mom should have been a pitcher, that Swede could hit you upside the head with a shoe from 40 feet away. Always good to see a parent teaching their children right from wrong.

01-May-15
If you have to beat the hell out of your kid when he's 16, then you obviously didn't do much of a job raising him from the beginning. By the time they get to even 5 years old you've already got the kind of person you are going to have for the most part.

I'm glad she stepped up and took him on, but IMO it's too late.

Discipline should begin when they are old enough to understand what you want them to do. And you teach BY EXAMPLE first and foremost.

And like spike said, she's only ONE!

People are acting like she's unusual or something, and for her culture she sadly is. The way I was raised and for 90% of the people I knew this was the NORM, not the exception!

02-May-15
"If you have to beat the hell out of your kid when he's 16, then you obviously didn't do much of a job raising him from the beginning. By the time they get to even 5 years old you've already got the kind of person you are going to have for the most part."

While there's some truth to that, 16 year old boys tend to make some very poor decisions. I know I did. And I sorta turned out alright.

On my kids (both girls), corporal punishment was only necessary between ages 6 months and 3 years. My kids are very well behaved and I don't have to say things twice.

I think by age two, you've already lost them if you're not the boss.

I also think that boys need a whole lot more whoopin' then girls. They start testing those antlers as soon as they're buttons. They need an occasional 10 point in the ass well past forky age.

02-May-15
"I think by age two, you've already lost them if you're not the boss."

Bingo.

03-May-15
My mama told me I wasn't a total loss. I could always be used as a bad example.

05-May-15
While I agree that after the age of 2 is starting too late, I also believe that as long as they are under your legal control it is not too late to impact them.

One of two things is happening from the time a new born is brought into the world...They are either being trained or they are doing the training.

While corporal punishment may not be necessary as they get older, correction is and will continue to be.

Even as adults our behavior is corrected by negative consequences...i.e. speeding tickets. So as adults, if our behavior can be altered why can't older children.

Parenting is work, hard relentless work, but it is our responsibility and the result is pure joy.

James

• Sitka Gear