Contributors to this thread:
HA/KS 24-May-15
Stumpkiller 25-May-15
The Old Sarge 25-May-15
Shuteye 25-May-15
24-May-15

HA/KS's Link
Apparently one local farmer was there. From the link:

“The flag was in a metal suitcase but there was no flag pole,” Cook said. “So, we found a piece of gas pipe the Japanese had and we used that. I helped carry rocks and pile them around the pole to hold it up.”

Cook said he was also present when six U.S. Marines were handpicked to re-enact the flag raising for the historic photo captured by Joe Rosenthal.

Time marched forward and for 10 days of brutal battle he hardly slept, never washed his face or hands, or took off his clothes.

On March 1, 1945, the rifleman was wounded when a bullet entered through his helmet and into the side of his head.

25-May-15
My uncle was at Iwo Jima. The only story he ever told from there was how he got his purple heart. He cut his hand on his p-38 can opener, and found out if they treat you for any wound, they put your name in for the award. Other than that story he refused to talk of that place.

25-May-15
My dad was there ... off-shore on a cruiser ... shooting down Kamikazes. And taking a few hits from them.

25-May-15
My uncle was there and the Kamikazes got his destroyer. He swam to an island and was rescued by the marines. A bunch of his friends died.

• Sitka Gear