Hunting5555 26-May-15
Narlyhorn 26-May-15
sleepyhunter 26-May-15
Jasper 26-May-15
HA/KS 26-May-15
HA/KS 26-May-15
HA/KS 26-May-15
24-May-15
I have a fairly substantial coin collection I've had for 40 years I want to sell. Anyone have advice on how to get it appraised and sell without getting ripped off? Thanks!

24-May-15
You'll need to find an experienced, honest coin collector/dealer to get a good estimate of value. Someone who is reputable and been in the business a long time.

I can tell you from personal experience, most all coin shops will give you a bid on your coins approximately 20% or more under the replacement value.

If it were me, I would get a red book, become familiar with grading the coins and sell them individually or in sets to numismatic collectors. At least those coins that do have a numismatic premium.

If the collection of coins has already been graded it will make it that much easier to accomplish their sale. To send them in to be graded will probably not be a productive endeavor unless you have some rare coins contained in the collection where condition of the coin can have a significant impact on their value.

I buy pure gold and silver coins and pre 1965 dimes and quarters but don't collect, buy or sell numismatics.

Hard for me to give you better advice without knowing specifically what the collection is made up of. You're welcome to PM me with questions if that would help.

Good luck.

24-May-15
I have no problem buying from coin dealers,,, but I wouldn't sell my coins to one.......They are in business to make money off what they buy......

I have a small collection.... I've been buying a few Morgans in the last few years......

If I ever sold them or if my family sold them after I was gone....... I'd rather have them sold on E-Bay than to a dealer.....

24-May-15

26-May-15
Jasper, honestly you need to wait. If you've had it for 40 years, there's a good chance the coins MAY be 90% silver.

Silver is currently down below $17 which will reduce their actual value, unless you have some that are truly collecters items.

26-May-15
Wouldn't hurt to get an estimate, now.

Use a reputable source with lots of experience.

If and when you sell them, in addition to ebay, there are websites of numismatic collectors aand stackers that will gladly buy them from you. Most of these websites have a classified section to advertise what you have for sale. As Big Bear says, you'll get a better offer that way than from a local coin shop.

Be aware that silver prices can swing wildly in a short period of time. That can work to your advantage or disadvantage based on which direction.

Frankly, most of the downside to silver prices is already in, imo. I wouldn't even consider selling any unless it was a dire emergency requiring cash. Your timing couldn't be worse if you ask me.

26-May-15
Yes, I have a huge collection of coins in the driver side door pocket. Mainly pennies. They cha-ching every time I get in or out of the truck.

Shame on me.

26-May-15
Great advice guys....thanks!

26-May-15

HA/KS's Link
I would look for a local coin club.

26-May-15

HA/KS's Link
A big list of coin clubs!

26-May-15

HA/KS's Link
Several coin shows coming up in Georgia. Go, learn, meet someone you trust:

7th Annual Pickens Co. Club Coin Show Jun 6th, 2015 Jasper, GA

Greater Atlanta Coin Shows Jun 14th, 2015 Marietta, GA

Tiftarea Coin Show Jun 19th - Jun 20th, 2015 Tifton, GA

Greater Atlanta Coin Shows Jul 12th, 2015 Marietta, GA

Warner Robins Coin Show Jul 24th - Jul 25th, 2015 Warner Robbins, GA

Greater Atlanta Coin Shows Aug 9th, 2015 Marietta, GA

BRNA 2015 Annual Convention Aug 21st - Aug 23rd, 2015 Dalton, GA

Greater Atlanta Coin Shows Sep 13th, 2015 Marietta, GA

Greater Atlanta Coin Shows Oct 11th, 2015 Marietta, GA

54th Annual Rome Coin Show Oct 16th - Oct 17th, 2015 Rome, GA

Greater Atlanta Coin Shows Nov 15th, 2015 Marietta, GA

Greater Atlanta Coin Shows Dec 13th, 2015 Marietta, GA

Georgia Numismatic Association Anniversary Coin Show Apr 15th - Apr 17th, 2016 Dalton, GA

BRNA 2015 Annual Convention Aug 26th - Aug 28th, 2016 Dalton, GA

Georgia Numismatic Association Anniversary Coin Show Apr 21st - Apr 23rd, 2017 Dalton, GA

Georgia Numismatic Association Anniversary Coin Show Apr 13th - Apr 15th, 2018 Dalton, GA

• Sitka Gear