Bowfreak 28-May-15
Hunting5555 28-May-15
Bowfreak 05-Jun-15
Dave G. 05-Jun-15
Joey Ward 05-Jun-15
Bowfreak 05-Jun-15
26-May-15

Bowfreak's Link
I know that you typically get what you pay for and I typically wouldn't even consider it but my original fuel pump took a poop this weekend on my 99 cavalier. After 260,XXX miles I can't complain. The car is still strong and I don't have any issues with it. I plan to drive it til it dies but with this kind of mileage I have gotten to the point on skimping on parts. I am considering a fuel pump from Ebay for like $65. Does anyone have any experience with these parts? Thoughts???

26-May-15
You may want to look over on usautoparts.net

May be same one, if it's 4 wire, but it goes for around $51.

I've bought several fuel pumps from there and never a complaint. Other than having to drop the tank to get to it. LOL :-)

Good luck.

26-May-15
Will check it out Joey. I was hoping you would respond. Thanks.

26-May-15
Also....can the connector be checked without dropping the tank? If I remember correctly it can. I have never changed a FP in a Cavalier but I changed on in a Sunfire.

I assume that is the way to tell if you have a 4 pin or 7 pin connector.

26-May-15
You can Google it and find out the exact fuel pump for the model car you have and probably a video of how to change it.

26-May-15
May depend on the model. Base, LS, etc........

Best way to verify before purchase is to ask someone at your local AutoQuestPepZone to look it up on their computer and see what direct fit part for that Year make and model.

Last thing you want to find out having removed everything is that you have the wrong part.

Well maybe not.......I guess finding out that your cheap Amazon part was defective after having re-installed everything. LOL :-)

Personally, I've never had any defective replacement parts from usautoparts yet. Knock on wood. :-)

Good luck.

26-May-15
Sunfire and Cavalier are petty cloe so if you've done one you know what's ahead for the other.

I think the connectors are the same no matter the wires. Not real sure what the extras would be for.

26-May-15
BowFreak, I'm betting this pump is manufactured by Airtex Products and boxed for this company.

Looking at your link, they are using Airtex's main part number for their part number. Airtex manufactures and boxes for several retailers including G.M., Ford, Chrysler, AutoZone, O'Riellys, Advance, etc....

If it is an Airtex pump, it would be the same as you would get from an auto parts store. They don't change the manufacture based on the buyer, just a different box. I can't speak for this pump in particular, but it could possibly be the exact same as the OEM pump you would buy at GM.

If it is Airtex, its as good as any other pump you could purchase. There's only a very small handful of pump manufacturers out there. Airtex, Federal Mogul, Blackstone?? and maybe two or three other really small companies.

After being the chief accountant for Airtex for 10 years in a different life, I've got a pretty good idea.... :)

26-May-15
As much hassle as changing a pump in the tank is these days....why would you buy unknown junk from e-bay? Buy new at an auto parts store and do the job ONCE! And stay away from Chinese and Mexican parts!

27-May-15
SB,

I think I pretty much explained why. New pump at Autozone is $200. New pump from EBay or Joey's link is $50-$60. My car has 263,000 miles on it....I have access to a lift I can use whenever I like. I am willing to take a chance on it and save $150 bucks.

We will see how it goes....I have a pump ordered.

27-May-15
Have never paid that much for just a pump. Sounds like the whole assembly pricing. Filter, sending unit, etc. all you need is a pump, not the whole assembly!

28-May-15
I think the top 3 auto parts store have and sell Chinese and Mexican parts!....according to the label on parts I've bought.....on the part and the box..... SAD.... but I have bought a lot pf parts om eBay and never had any problems....CHEAPER and they fit and worked!...jmho

28-May-15
It is SB. The whole assembly. But the whole assembly is $150 cheaper on Ebay.

28-May-15
HeadHunter, you are probably correct. When I worked at Airtex, at one point we had 1,000 employees here in Southern Illinois with 500 more in Arkansas.

Before I left, they had shutdown the plant in Arkansas and was moving stuff to China and Mexico from here as quick as they could.

Yesterday they announced they were closing all production here and moving everything but 75 jobs in distribution to China and Mexico!!

Airtex has been here in Southern Illinois since before WWII!

28-May-15
Maybe just me, but when I empty, drop, disconnect all the stuff necessary to get to the pump, I'm replacing the whole unit. :-)

Do the job right......do the job once.

Keep us updated on the progress, Bowfreak.

28-May-15
Well said Joey

28-May-15
I will keep you guys updated. It may make it here Friday.

28-May-15
After Airtex moves production to China and Mexico, I don't think any pump will be made in the U.S. I know at least most, if not all, of Federal Mogul's pumps are made over seas.

Airtex started sourcing cast iron castings from China while I worked there. We literally could buy the casting, pay to have it shipped here, throw half of them in the dumpster for quality issues and still make money on the pumps!

And people wonder why all manufacturing is going to China.....

The quality of the products coming out of Mexico was way better than the China parts!

05-Jun-15
I finally got around to installing the pump. There were zero issues and the part matched up perfectly. It seems that the Autoparts4USA fuel pump was of good quality. I know if I have another fuel pump poop out I will be checking with this place again.

I did have to use a little redneckery of course. The tank was about half full, so to make it easier to put back in place we drained 5 gallons of fuel out of the tank. Reinstalled everything and then tried to figure out how to get the gas out of the 5 gallon bucket without losing 3 gallons of it. I ended up taking about a 4' section of plastic water pipe and used it for a siphon hose. I set the bucket on the top of the car and siphoned the gas into the tank. I had to hang out for a while after this before I drove so I could let my buzz wear off. LOL!

05-Jun-15

Dave G. 's Link
Glad it worked out for you Bowfreak.

When I read that you syphoned the gas into a 5 gallon bucket, I couldn't help but think about Cheech and Chong...LOL!!!

05-Jun-15
Good deal.

I usually try to siphon the tank INTO 5 gallon plastic gas cans. Then screw the spouts back on and I'm ready to pour back into the tank when complete. Sometimes a long spouted funnel is reuired. With as much equipment I have around, I have several 5 gallon cans. :-)

Nothing wrong with using some good old fashion southern ingenuity though. ;-)

Glad to hear things worked out positively for you.

05-Jun-15
Ha! Loved all of those movies Dave! I always laugh about the one where Cheech talks about E.T., Eddie Torez The Extra Testicle.

• Sitka Gear