Shuteye 06-Jul-15
Hunting5555 06-Jul-15
Dave G. 06-Jul-15
Shuteye 06-Jul-15
Shuteye 06-Jul-15
ar troy 06-Jul-15
HA/KS 06-Jul-15
06-Jul-15
Great race and Dale Jr won. One of the worse accidents I have seen. I'm sure you will see it on the news. Car went up in the air, over top of cars and then torn in half. The engine was laying well away from what was left of the car. Dale's crew ran out there and got the driver out and he walked away. Unbelievable that this happened at two hundred miles per hour and the driver walked away. Dale's crew will probably catch hell because they aren't allowed to run out on the track like that but they were trying to save the driver so my hat is off to them.

06-Jul-15
The rules never applied to Sr. or his crew, so I doubt they apply to Jr. either. NASCAR, and specifically Dale Earnhart Jr. joining the frenzy to ban the Confederate flag makes me glad I quit watching years ago.

06-Jul-15

Shuteye's Link
When you get a 3500 pound car up in the air it can get scary. High enough in the air to go right over top of other cars. Check the video.

06-Jul-15
Well it was the end of the race, so I'm sure they will give the crews a pass on the running out there.

How ironic, I don't think you guys have put two and two together yet....

Daytona track, Dale Jr. winning and that was the #3 car....

Ring any bells.....

Got to wonder how many fans were injured by flying debris... In that video you see all the stuff flying towards the fans, but it looks like there may be a wall there with the stands elevated.

There was a track person standing there in a blue jump suit. He turns his back and ducks....

Got to agree, that is probably one of the worst I've seen. For the car to come apart like that, wow! Although, that is what they are built to do, start shedding parts. Every part that comes off reduces the energy transferred to the driver.

Well, its between that one and Darrel Waltrip back many years ago driving the Tide car. He slid up the track into a gate and the gate popped open. He went into the end of the concrete fence at close to 200 mph. His car looked like a bomb went off inside it. The impact blew off almost all the metal. The announcers actually started bracing the fans for the fact he probably was dead. Next thing you know, he comes crawling out of the mangled mess and walks away.

Its amazing the engineering that goes into those cars.

06-Jul-15
I hope Ricky Bobbie wasn't hurt.

06-Jul-15
I look for some rule changes. When you have 43 cars running 200 MPH, only inches apart, three wide, you have big wrecks. Dale Jr. was clocked at 202 MPH. Daytona and Talladega are the restrictor plate tracks and have huge wrecks. I bet they will slow the cars down in the future. I can't imagine the skill required to compete on this level. I wouldn't be able to stand the heat for hours. The floorboard in the cars is 245 degrees and that's with all kinds of insulation. If every one drove perfectly a flat tire can take out a bunch of cars.

06-Jul-15

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
There were plenty of rebel flags flying at Daytona over the week end.

06-Jul-15
"There were plenty of rebel flags flying at Daytona over the week end."

There wouldn't have been if it were left up to Junior and whichever France is running the show these days. Perfect name for the head of NASCAR it turns out though, huh? I didn't like a thing about Dale Earnhart, but wouldn't doubt even he is spinning in his grave at the way his son and NASCAR have turned Neville Chamberlain over the rebel flag.

06-Jul-15
This from a former student who was there (pit crew):

Now that I'm not in trouble, I can say thanks for the messages, no hero at all just wanted to help my brother Austin Dillion anyway I could, my throat was my stomach running toward that car thinking the worst. When I looked inside the car he was looking up at us with those eyes saying get me the **** outta here, so we did. The car flipped and landed right in front of us, was just a reaction. Just so thankful he was ok, later his dad thanked us and gave us a hug that's why we did it, and I would do it again.

We don't want to be heroes running out on the track all the time, getting in the way, but this was different, we just reacted to a scary situation, and cared about Austin.

Heros wear camo to work, we just look out for each other.

• Sitka Gear