HA/KS 25-Jul-15
orionsbrother 25-Jul-15
Anony Mouse 25-Jul-15
Shuteye 25-Jul-15
orionsbrother 25-Jul-15
orionsbrother 25-Jul-15
25-Jul-15

orionsbrother's Link
Thought you probably caught this before me, but wanted to put it up just in case.

The scale is mind numbing...

https://vimeo.com/117815404

25-Jul-15
Thanks...I've seen versions of this before.

The video is really a good demonstration of the vast size of the universe considering this is just a trip through our solar system.

When one sees that this only takes us to Saturn, one can begin to understand just how much technology went into the recent satellite photos of Pluto...

25-Jul-15
I remember telling a class of students that successfully sending a probe to Mars took the equivalent of going entirely through school without making a single mistake on any paper or test.

25-Jul-15
We're urban camping again tonight. Just got home and we're playing around with Via concoctions for my trip and sorting my freeze dried bin.

The six year old wants camp food for dinner. Horse trading has begun between the minions with regard to instant mashed potato selection. I've excused myself from the negotiations with the decree that my Mountain House applesauce is off the table.

I'm thinking that I may relax my rules and allow a tablet in the tent to watch that video tonight. I frequently ponder large concepts when in a tent on my own.

25-Jul-15
25-Jul-15

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
My brother got this certificate. He has been a ham operator since he was a little kid. He is an engineer and worked for the Navy and Marines his entire career. He just retired last year and is younger than me. He has all kinds of degrees in computer technology and communications. He bought his first computer last year. He built all his computers from the time he was a kid until last year.

25-Jul-15
FYI - Public Service Message -

Negotiations were finalized. Idahoan Applewood Smoked Bacon Instant Mashed Potatoes were chosen to try and assess for addition to the backwoods menu.

The verdict:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!!!!!

The entire camp has declared that those will not be packed anywhere. Horrible artificial bacon flavor with lingering, cloying aftertaste.

The committee ruled that the two remaining packets that were purchased on sale should be left in the mailbox of someone we don't like.

No need for the reminders or hard sell on tooth brushing tonight. They're all over it. And I'm in a holding pattern wanting to brush my tongue.

Then we're off to the wilds of the backyard and the cosmos.

The unbridled enthusiasm of a six year old is infectious. I'm going to have a blast. You guys have a good night.

25-Jul-15
Shuteye - Cool stuff! I'm going to share that with the kids. My great uncle, who really initiated my love of the outdoors was a ham radio guy.

• Sitka Gear