DL 10-Jun-18
slade 10-Jun-18
spike78 10-Jun-18
Annony Mouse 11-Jun-18
MK111 11-Jun-18
AT Halley 11-Jun-18
mn_archer 13-Jun-18
23-Aug-15
I just acquired 4 new stripped lowers, 2 with consecutive serial numbers. Im going to build those two into standard M4's one for each of our kids, but im not sure what im going to do with the other 2. Im thinking a light caliber such as 17 Remington or 204 ruger, and the other maybe a 9mm. Ive already got a couple Ar's so im in no rush, but I want to start getting the kits this fall to work on this winter.

Ive found some kits online but im not sure of the quality. Anyone know anything about the deltone kits?

thanks

michael

23-Aug-15
I've had two stripped lowers that made it through the house fire...Smith and I were going to build some father/son ARs.

Be interesting to follow this thread.

23-Aug-15
Michael

I think Anony Mouse has understated his ability in this matter. He is very good at what he does.

I have built a few, different level, and probably different uses, but based on what you have stated in your original post I probably would go with the .204. I love, really love the Remington .17 but not on that platform.

I have never used the deltone kits but I bet someone here has.

I like Jack will enjoy following this one

23-Aug-15
I've built 2. One in .204. The .204 needs to have a 24" barrel to get the best performance. I bought the tools and a book in doing them. Pretty easy except you need to have extra detents. You will launch at least one of them when putting the lower together. Also there is a small compression spring in the trigger locking mechanism. I didn't and when I was at the range I decided to put in 3 rounds instead of 10. One pull of the trigger and it unloaded all three rounds. Range master went Nucleur and the range went silent. Two off duty cops looked at me with big grins and gave me a thumbs up.

24-Aug-15
Arpartsfinder.com is agood source for locating components. I have only used CMMG lower parts kits and they all turned out good. I do the 15 minute trigger job (google) and it is a big improvement.

6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout are a couple popular alternative calibers. I'm building a 5.56, 20" slab side (no bolt assist or ejection port cover) coyote rifle at the moment. I might try a Jewell or Rock River 2 stage trigger in this one since it will be for stretching out a bit.

Amen on the extra detents. I spent about an hour trying to find one that launched during my first build.

24-Aug-15
Rhody, that build is unreal, especially like the barrel!

24-Aug-15
Delton is good quality stuff and not too esoteric for a first time build... 9mm would make an interesting Short Barreled Rifle, especially since you're already paying the tax you might as well get a suppressor to go with it.. I'll bet it would end up getting the most use of anything you own!

28-Aug-15
Still doing some research on parts but once I start the builds I'll post some pics. Just got a phone call that my new 1000 yard gun just got into town so I'm pretty excited to get some optics on that and see how far out I can get. I need to work up dome loads yet

Michael

28-Aug-15

28-Aug-15

Narlyhorn's embedded Photo
Haven't heard any negative from Del-Ton shooters. Good quality in that price range and good customer service I am told.

Very nice Rhody. I have an A1 with a 14.5 HBAR, it's sure not as nice as that one.

My latest Frankengun. BCM 16" BFH USGI profile barrel, upper, BCG and BCM Gunfighter charge handle with BE Meyers 249F flash hider.

It's on an old Bushy lower, RR single stage fire control group.

KAC 600M Micro BUIS, one third cowitnessed to Aimpoint T2 on Larue QD mount.

29-Aug-15
Watching this closely. Slowly planning on a build for a common lower, a basic .223 upper for general purpose use and another short barreled iron sighted upper in .458 so com for a BBBB gun. Big Bear Brush Backup gun to pack on a DIY AK fly in hunt.

Have been talking to a few of the AK (Alaska that is) guys, it's building a pretty good following, good fast handling close range bear medicine... basically a short fast auto 45/70.

Likely be another year or two till I build something, but I like to study things for a while before I jump in. A lot to learn. Very interesting world. I like the fact that I can build it (and therefore pay for it) step by step. Been lurking on the AR15 forum like I used to lurk on bowsite many years ago....

Beautiful equipment guys. Carry on...

30-Aug-15
I would say this always put a 5.56 chamber on an AR. Seen a guy at the range drop a 5,56 in a 223 and thank God he didn't hit the forward assist. When it didn't completely close he jacked the round out, and handed it to me knowing I had a 5.56 and the round dropped right in. No real difference in cost and can fire both rounds.

31-Aug-15
I vote door #3 and go with the 223 Wylde chamber. Shoots both great.

31-Aug-15

Another "rebuild" from a RR tactical elite. Only things original are Capco barrel, stripped upper/lower, receiver extension and buttstock.

A 5.56 chamber shoots both equally as well too.

If you plan on shooting mostly light grain bullets, then go to higher than 1 in 7 twist on your barrel. If mostly heavier grain and longer range, then 1 in 7 is fine. A one in eight twist is considered a good compromise much as it annoys the mil-spec purists.

Be mindful, not all 1 in X twist barrels are the same. Some are slightly over or slightly under, even from the same manufacturer. The barrel manufacturer or dealer you purchase your barrel from should be able to tell you or if you have the tools you can measure it yourself. Just use the Sinclair Simple Twist Rate Measurement Method.

01-Sep-15
Awesome weapons guys, thanks for sharing....

03-Sep-15

Seapig@work's embedded Photo
Seapig@work's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of a rifle I just finished for my daughter.

It has an Area 53 'El Jefe' receiver set, 16 inch Faxon flame fluted barrel with a 5.56 chamber and 1 in 8 inch twist, Syrac Ordnance piston set, JP Enterprises enhanced bolt assembly and Nordic Components free float hand guard.

Its a good thing I took pictures because the rifle fell overboard while fishing this morning. You'd think I would learn.

03-Sep-15
Nice job Seapig.

Just curious, why not direct impingement and what led you to choose Syrac Ordinance piston set over others?

03-Sep-15
The prison pink cerakote shows dirt really well. The piston systems allow the receiver to run cleaner than direct impingement would. Additionally, some time ago I built a rifle for my older son that used the first style Adams Arms piston set and we were very happy with that gun.

I REALLY like that Nordic free float tube. I originally installed an Adams Arms XLP piston system on the rifle but I didn't like how it fit under the Nordic tube. I considered the Osprey Defense piston system but they insist on a mil-spec gas block. The Syrac system required some modification of the hand guard but it was minor. After performing the mods and installation of the Syrac piston set I can say that it was easy, solid and I would use it again. You can see the piston rod in the picture above. It is the shiny silver line just visible through the hand guard.

I just realized that I haven't addressed the OP's questions...I like Delton components. The pink gun has Delton pins and springs in it. Nothing else is Delton only because they didn't have what I was looking for.

I'm very happy with how the gun turned out and I will probably repeat the build with the same major components for my youngest son. He wants Zombie Hunter green accents.

03-Sep-15
Thanks SP.

I understand the cleaner receiver "advantage" w/ a piston operating system. I thought you may have some other reasoning since there is a tradeoff between that and weight.

I can look it up, do you recall the weight of the Syrac piston set and how it compares to other available piston systems.

I ask because I am considering a piston operating system for a build my son and I will be doing for my grandson. Another "advantage" I have considered, foisting upon my grandson the additional knowledge he will gain toward piston systems, so the AK and other piston system platforms would become more familiar to him.

03-Sep-15
The Syrac gas block is a 'minimalist' design...very small and low profile and should be lighter than most of the regular DGI gas blocks. The piston is a captured stainless steel rod of the same diameter as the gas tube. It weighs more than a gas tube but not by much. I gas the weight of the Syrac piston system is very similar to a direct gas impingement system.

03-Sep-15
I must be just lazy, have a Rock River Varmit, 16" barrel, 1 in 8, has a GREAT winter trigger, have seen no reason to even fiddle with it.

13-Oct-15
well in the spirit of the democratic debate lets talk ar's again...

I moved two of these lowers into my nfa gun trust and am applying for a short barrel rifle stamp on those two.

I also went to a gun shop in Minneapolis yesterday and purchased 2 multi caliber suppressors good for 223-300 mag and one for a 22 lr and 22 mag. I now await those stamps.

If anyone is interested in the gun trust idea I went through an attorney here in mn and it was very smooth.

I put together another of the lowers with a Voodoo lower kit, magpull ctr stock, and a huldra piston upper in 5.45x39. I shot it 2 days ago and it ran awesome. I put a vortex sparc on top and a set of magpul pop up sights, which co-witness perfectly.

14-Oct-15
For all you AR guys there is one gotcha to putting it together that if done incorrectly could get you in trouble with the feds.

It is the installation of the hammer spring. DO NOT let the bottom fingers of the spring rest on the bottom of the fire control group. THEY NEED to rest on top of the pin for the trigger. They keep the trigger pin from sliding out of one side of the lower. Results of that happening are trigger pull causes one shot, releasing of the trigger causes another shot. Not only unsafe, but also makes it a fully auto per current fed regs.

Terry

15-Oct-15
Anybody played with a 300 Blackout?

I'm thinking about building one. Already have a 5.56, so looking for something different.

Although, a new bow sounds like a pretty good idea too!!

15-Oct-15
5555-

im getting a sbr 300 blackout upper as soon as I get the approval on these short barrel rifles. Also have the ability to put a suppressor on it when my stamps come back from the atf. the 300 blackout is a great round to suppress!

michael

31-May-18

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
A basic, but somewhat informative, article on the History of the AR-15.

Maybe I'll move someplace where the state government isn't afraid of these things and get to own one, or three.

31-May-18
that .204 ruger is badass.....looks like it might be hard on barrel life.

10-Jun-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Something went wrong in the assembly. Still probably illegal in California.

10-Jun-18
something went definitely wrong!

10-Jun-18
Of course that is illegal in CA. It has an Alkaline battery, a cancer causing paint, a forearm grip, a collapsible stock, mercury in the scope, and an elastic scope cover thingy that may strangle an infant!

11-Jun-18

Annony Mouse's embedded Photo
Smith built 6.5 Creedmore, .223/5.56 AR and 300 Blackout
Smith built 6.5 Creedmore, .223/5.56 AR and 300 Blackout
I finally built my first AR...legos for guys!
I finally built my first AR...legos for guys!
Smith built his (see my initial post) and a couple of others. Shamed me into building mine. I have two uppers in my safe awaiting builds. Have put paperwork in for a Witt integrally suppressed 300 Blackout for one of them.

11-Jun-18
I just built a AR in 22 TCM. It uses a magazine conversion from the AR Guy with PPS-43 machine gun magazines.

Been raining everyday so can't test it until the end of the week. My gun show customer I bought the barrel and mag conversion said it functioned near 100%.

I sold all my 22 Mag rifles and replaced it with the AR 22 TCM which is reloadable and about 800 fps faster than the 22 Mag. Should be right at 2800 fps with 40 gr bullets.

I had the RIA 22 TCM bolt action but sent it back for a full refund due to excessive bolt lift.

11-Jun-18
If you are interested in the 204 Ruger you should look into the 20 Practical. 20 cal bullet with 223 case. You have to reload since factory ammo doesn't exist as far as I know, but it's super easy to reload for. Easy to find brass and it still shoots 3500 fps plus. I love mine for prairie dogs. A guy in Bemidji will chamber a barrel for you. I'm sure others will too. It fits magazines easier than a 204 as well.

13-Jun-18

mn_archer's embedded Photo
mn_archer's embedded Photo
Well a lot has changed since this post. I now own a pile of ar's.

I picked up a rifle sponsor for 3 gun and they build incredibly high end ar's. Check out Patriot Weaponry.

• Sitka Gear