LINK 25-Aug-15
Joey Ward 25-Aug-15
tinecounter 25-Aug-15
South Farm 25-Aug-15
HA/KS 25-Aug-15
HA/KS 25-Aug-15
Woods Walker 27-Aug-15
25-Aug-15
As a product of a public school education, I've never been very impressed. Things seem to have deteriorated even more since I graduated high school in the late 90's.

I now live in a somewhat rural (feels country anyway) area not far from Albuquerque, NM where I went to school. My 5 year old starts Kindergarten in two days. I attended the orientation this evening. Much to my surprise and excitement I was greeted by a high level member of the school's faculty asking if I would like to purchase raffle tickets for a couple of firearms!?

He was in front of a sign that read, "Support EVCA [the name of the PUBLIC school] and support your 2nd Amendment Rights"

After some conversation with this gentleman and others I couldn't be more impressed with this school. We had done some research prior so I knew the quality of education was highly rated. I did not realize how closely this school's values mirrored my own.

One staff member said they are working to get a firearms safety course integrated into the curriculum. Another chimed in that he thought it would be neat to offer a concealed - carry course to seniors [the school is k-12]. This school is not a breeding ground for home-grown militias. Instead, the faculty here believes that if you teach children the proper values and instill admirable character then you can confidently promote our freedoms as granted through the Constitution of the United States.

My boy is very excited to start kindergarten...and I am a bit more excited after my experience this evening.

25-Aug-15
I have a nephew that teaches college in New Mexico. He teaches reloading. What a job!

25-Aug-15
Nice...seems like you are a young parent just getting involved with your child's education. Two words: participation and involvement.

Far too many parents look to the public school systems as "government funded daycare" and don't involve themselves with their children's education.

I always made an effort to get to know my children's teachers and offered to assist by helping purchase/provide things like books, science equipment (I had access to lab gear), or even participating.

Every year, I had my kids bring all of the texts that they would be using home so I could read them. A couple times, I had to talk to the teacher personally, but I did this every year. If you know what is being taught, you can provide balance at home. Talk to your kids about what they are learning--if you are interested, they will be, too.l

As a sub, I learned that teachers appreciate an involved parent because many school "problems" (academic and social) can be solved with parent awareness and participation.

If you can be available to go on field trips with your children's class, make an effort to do so. Some of the best times I had with my kids were with their classes.

25-Aug-15
I would not pop the cork yet. EVCA is not your typical public school. It is a charter school specifically made to counter standard public edu. You are lucky to have such a school in your area. Too many are not so lucky and will never have a school such as EVCA because liberals will not allow this model to flourish.

AI hope your experience continues to be good.

25-Aug-15
They haven't all gone to pot yet. They still offer archery in my kids school...and the line "In God we trust" hasn't been omitted from the pledge of allegiance! I agree with the earlier comment on participation and involvement too...if for no other reason than to keep an eye on what's going on inside the school and staying informed on how they're influencing my kid.

25-Aug-15
The line you refer to is "One Nation, Under God"

25-Aug-15
My local school is pretty good. They still recite the entire pledge of allegiance and have a moment of silence each morning. Most of the teachers are Christian and the males are all hunters or very pro-gun. This is probably standard for rural NW Oklahoma.

Joey you have to love that spell correct function.

25-Aug-15
Always good to have a moment of science.

Especially before biology.

he he he

:-)

25-Aug-15
I'm painting with a wide brush, but perhaps "moment of science" is descriptively accurate in far too many curriculums.

25-Aug-15
"The line you refer to is "One Nation, Under God""

Thanks for the correction, and you're right! I need to say the pledge every day myself...apparently forgot how it goes:(

25-Aug-15
There are still many good public schools. There are many public schools with good faculty, but shaky official policies. There are also places where no thinking person would send their kid to public school.

The same things also apply to private schools.

Many here advocate abandoning the republican party to teach it a lesson. I say if you are in an area where the schools do not meet your standards, get out! Get out now! Your kids are too precious to take a chance.

Teachers I know run the gamut from dedicated professional to just a warm body collecting a check. They also run the gamut from staunch conservative to leftist. Also from moral Christian to somebody you just would not want to have around your kids. Fortunately the extreme on the last one is quite rare.

Mouse gives good advice about parental involvement.

25-Aug-15

HA/KS's Link
It is difficult. Not defending kids eating on the floor (happened at every family get-together when I was a kid), but what is the school to do? Who has the answer?

“Now we can look forward to changing this school,” Alvarez said, adding that in-school suspension increased eight-fold during Rao’s tenure and two out of three students are failing. “Cheltenham is in the bottom 10 percent of schools in the state of Colorado. Denver Public Schools can’t just remove the principal, say it’s fixed and forget it.”

Mariana Guerrero, another mom involved in the fight to remove Principal Rao, said the episode was “a clear example of institutional racism.”

“Cheltenham is but one failing school in a sea of failing schools at DPS,” she said. “While DPS doesn’t have a problem educating white children – over 80 percent of children are at grade level, DPS consistently fails Latino children – about 40 percent of Latino children are at grade level.”

27-Aug-15
RATS! I thought this thread was an announcement that Briarcliff had sacked Sybil.......

• Sitka Gear