Machias 25-Aug-15
RJ Hunt 26-Aug-15
Warhammer 26-Aug-15
Warhammer 26-Aug-15
itshot 26-Aug-15
Sixby 27-Aug-15
gflight 27-Aug-15
25-Aug-15
Hey Ya'll I'm wondering how mnay people here carry a handgun of some type while out bow hunting. I know laws around that vary state to state. I think its a good idea to carry, because you never may know when you need it, just like carrying concealed out in town. Personalley with the presence of preadtors and feral hogs where i hunt as well as copperheads I carry as that mental saftey blanket.

25-Aug-15
hammer, feral hogs & copperheads?

in Michigan?

25-Aug-15
I do!

25-Aug-15
Good idea.

25-Aug-15
Illegal in Iowa except in late bow season when it's also handgun season, Must have a handgun deer license and a bow license if carrying both weapons.

25-Aug-15
I never have, but I'll say this. If your state puts restrictions on it, you should move. If you have a carry permit, it should be good no matter whether you're also carrying a bow, crossbow, sword, or ballpoint pen.

25-Aug-15
I can but I don't...and nothing has got me yet.

25-Aug-15
Illegal to carry during archery deer here in MA, surprise, surprise.

25-Aug-15
Illegal in California as well.

25-Aug-15
Here in Virginia, it is legal to concealed carry with a permit during Archery Season, but Illegal to open carry without a Concealed Carry Permit.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

25-Aug-15
I do here in VA. In Washington State, where I moved from a while ago, most guys don't realize they can carry concealed WITHOUT a concealed carry permit anytime they are engaged in any outdoor activity.

25-Aug-15
If somehow you were able to know, without a doubt, that in the next 5 years you will be in a situation where carrying a sidearm would likely save you or a family member's life, and not having one means you or a family member dies, would you carry even though it wasn't legal?

25-Aug-15
Glunt, you'd have to be more specific on which one of my family members.

LOL

;-)

25-Aug-15
Where I hunt the most danger is coming back to your truck. We have had our trucks broken into and my cousin and I were unloading our stuff to our trucks right at dark when a drive by shooter shot three time right by us. My cousin thought we were doomed if they turned around and came back. I handed him a 44 mag and I had my 357 Mag, with Crimson Trace. We were bow hunting. The truck didn't come back and I'm glad. We probably would have gone to jail.

25-Aug-15
Joey :-)

25-Aug-15
Where I live you don't need a permit to carry either concealed or open. So I carry all the time. The only time I have used it was to put down a alleged rabid coyote. But better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Terry

25-Aug-15
"most guys don't realize they can carry concealed WITHOUT a concealed carry permit anytime they are engaged in any outdoor activity. "

Machias, I am one of those guys.

Lived in VA since 1996, and have never heard that. Please direct me to the Virginia statute that says you can carry concealed without a permit - anywhere.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308/

The link says if you conceal a pistol in VA, ya got to have a permit. I don't agree with it, but that is what it says.

Now if you are on you own abode, you may conceal without a permit.

25-Aug-15
I carry a hammer to deal with any antis. Bears don't bother me, usually have a tag. Having a tag insures you won't see one.

25-Aug-15
When I am on my own 76 acres of woods I can carry anything, any time I want. Same thing on my neighbor's property.

25-Aug-15
Tony, re-read my post. I was not talking about VA. I was saying I carry here in VA, however in Washington state "where I moved from a while ago" guys don't realize......

25-Aug-15
Damn - guess I will need to get those Air Force Vets at work to give me some reading comprehension lessons again !!!

Sorry.

;^)

25-Aug-15
No worries, I should have been more clear!

26-Aug-15
Old trick I have heard of but never done. Leave a nice straight blade knife on the floor of your pickup truck whenever you go out for a hunt. That way when you get back to your rig and there is an idiot inside your rig stealing your stuff he is probably armed and you would need to shoot to defend yourself... never done it.. just saying. ;-)

26-Aug-15
itshot yeah I call MI home but I'm a Marine at Lejeune and NC is littered with them... shoot i ran over a copperhead today... also almost hit a deer next to the gate of the base a couple hours ago

26-Aug-15
I drew on a hog during one of my scouts a few weeks back.. didn't take the little guy as i didn't have a liner in my new truck and reallly didn't feel like getting blood all over it...

26-Aug-15
ok, that makes sense

the only issue I've had is forgetting to remove from side once in the stand...go to stand up for a shot or whatever and it snags/makes a clunk....DOH!

Good Luck and Thanks for your Service!

27-Aug-15
I carry a .357 Ruger with light weight frame in a shoulder holster. I have had several run ins with bears and when elk hunting am in heavy cat country and now wolves. I have had to shoot at grouse in self defense but so far no need to kill anything. Nice to have it though.

God bless, Steve

27-Aug-15
Missouri you can carry concealed with a permit but open carry constitutes a method of hunting.....

"with the exception of concealed firearms carried by persons issued a valid concealed carry permit and any qualified law enforcement officer or qualified retired law enforcement officer as defined in the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. Proof of this exception must be carried while hunting.

• Sitka Gear