Jim in Ohio 28-Aug-15
BowSniper 28-Aug-15
Jim Moore 29-Aug-15
Lucas 29-Aug-15
joshuaf 29-Aug-15
Narlyhorn 29-Aug-15
Tigereye 29-Aug-15
28-Aug-15
I have two grand children coming of age to gun hunt deer. Naomi (10) is the first. Her smaller brother is next year. The smallest deer rifle I have is a Win. model 94 in 32 caliber. When they shoulder it, it's more of an adult rifle and doesn't fit the kids.

I would appreciate any suggestions for a kid's deer rifle.

28-Aug-15
Rossie or H&R single shot .243 is a pretty economical route. Howa sells a "2 in 1" youth rifle that comes with an adult stock as well.

Most of the big names sell a youth bolt gun. Remington has a 770 youth that would work well.

28-Aug-15
Remington, Mossberg, and Winchester...and a few others, make some nice, adjustable, youth shotguns in 20 gauge. Rifeled barrels and good scope mounted up top and it will do the job inside 100 yards with slugs. Most youth can handle the recoil pretty well.

Change the barrel out and you got a wing or small game gun. Most will accept 3" shells as they grow.

Easy to add a sling too.

Mine started with a pump. They find the action a "natural" thing these days. But, you have your choices.

One shell issued at a time for safety reason from the beginning.

Good luck and have fun.

28-Aug-15
I have a Winchester 94 in .32 cal and it would be a handful for a youngster. If you can hunt with a rifle a 243 would be great. Will kill any deer and mild recoil, much less than any shotgun. All the major gun makers produce .243 rifles in single shot or bolt action and even make them for small people. What ever you get let the kids get plenty of practice at targets in advance to hunting. Ammo is fairly cheap and readily available. As a youngster I killed deer in Maine with a Winchester pre war Model 70 .243. I still have it and it is now a collectors item.

28-Aug-15
Agree with the 243...

28-Aug-15
Either a browning micro or rem mod 7 in 7mm 08. Both are fine guns and the 7mm08 is a lot more versatile than the 243 with same recoil

28-Aug-15
When my son was little I bought him a Rossi single shot. It had 3 barrels- .22, .243, and 20ga.

Stock was perfect for him and he was a small 10yo. I put a 4x scope on the .243 and he killed his first doe at about 60yds.

I bought it about 11 years ago and the whole package was about $250.

28-Aug-15
When my son was little I bought him a Rossi single shot. It had 3 barrels- .22, .243, and 20ga.

Stock was perfect for him and he was a small 10yo. I put a 4x scope on the .243 and he killed his first doe at about 60yds.

I bought it about 11 years ago and the whole package was about $250.

28-Aug-15
Love those Remington youth model 20 gauge shotguns with rifled barrel. Have had 5 grandsons kill there first deer with them . With scope and sabot slugs, they reach out well over 100 yards. Like them so much, my wife and I hunt with them.

28-Aug-15
Mossberg youth rifle in .243 and it wont break the bank

29-Aug-15
Been hearing amazing things about the 7mmX.08.

29-Aug-15
Another vote for the model 7 Remington.

29-Aug-15
I just bought my 13 year old son a Savage Axis in .243. He hasn't got his growth spurt yet so still pretty small. They make a youth model but didn't have one in stock so we got the standard model. Still a pretty short length of pull. Recoil wasn't bad, within half an hour had him shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards from prone with a bi-pod. Taking him to hunt antelope with it in Wyoming this Fall. $219 brand new after $50 rebate, and included an entry-level Bushnell scope already mounted.

29-Aug-15
As far as caliber, it depends on the kid. A kid can grow a bit in a year or two, their time behind the .22, .243 and .410, 28 or 20ga and time on small game can vary enough to influence a decision.

Tending to be thrifty and looking further over the horizon. Some 12yo's first big game rifle could be .308 or even a .308 with reduced recoil loads for many more. No more recoil than a .243 and potentially a small reduction. You have a rifle youth can "grow into." and still maintain a more effective one shot clean kill capability, especially on marginal hits. Honestly, I don't know much about availability of youth rifles in .308

I modified several adult stocks into youth stocks over the years for both rifle and shotgun. I've done so for myself too for a better fit over winter layers. Cut them off and shave, grind, sand or buff the butt plate to fit the smaller profile. It's usually pretty simple, long as you don't cut too much off. I've done that and was happy to find and shape a suitable shim material.

Having said all that, I suppose every family should have a family heirloom .243 at the side too.

29-Aug-15
Remington Model 7 or 700 Mtn Rifle in 243 is about a cute as they come.

My son started with one and still uses it at 23 years old.

• Sitka Gear