HA/KS 07-Oct-15
Glunt@work 08-Oct-15
HA/KS 08-Oct-15
HA/KS 08-Oct-15
Glunt@work 09-Oct-15
BoggsBowhunts 14-Oct-15
tonyo6302 15-Oct-15
06-Oct-15
Seattle high school football player dies 3 days after game injury.... Associated Press

-- A Seattle high school football player who was injured during a game last week has died.

Highline Public Schools spokeswoman Catherine Carbone Rogers says Kenney Bui died late Monday morning. Bui was injured during the fourth quarter on Friday. He was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he underwent surgery and had been in critical condition over the weekend.

Rogers says students and others at Evergreen High School are grieving and the school district is working to support them. District superintendent Susan Enfield says it's a devastating loss for everyone.

Bui's death follows the death of another high school player, 17-year-old Evan Murray, in New Jersey last month. Murray collapsed after taking a hit and later died from massive internal bleeding caused by a lacerated spleen.

06-Oct-15
Did you all see the hit some HS quarterback took last week? The guy hit him and he was in the air for a good 10 yards before he hit the ground. Needless to say, he didn't get up for a while.

06-Oct-15
No football game, or football league is worth even one young life, yet two more teenage gladiators have recently died while cheering football fan(atics) watched them sustain the injuries that killed them.

These deaths were not the acts of insane gunmen. They were caused by young men being encouraged to repeatedly knock the hell out of each other, and call it "sport". You know, kinda like the killing of gladiators in ancient Rome was called "games".

Where is the outrage? These two deaths are just accepted as part of the risk teenagers take when they "play" the "game"? And this is not even to speak of the thousands of permanent injuries suffered by football players each year.....injuries to knees, ankles, shoulders....that will remain with these young men, turning into devastating arthritis pain, or worse, for the rest of their lives. And these are the lucky ones.

The unlucky ones are being buried, their families grieving their loss to the almighty game of football. It is lunacy.

06-Oct-15
So don't play the game and you will be OK sundowner

06-Oct-15
That is not the point, MT in MO, and what's more...sadly....you know that is not the point. I WILL be OK, but thousands will not.

Have you satisfied your childish urge to avoid the issue and simply offer a foolish, snide little catcall? Well good for you.

If your children or grandchildren play football, I hope they are not killed or injured.

06-Oct-15
Should get those kids off bikes, stop them from climbing trees, don't throw baseballs as they can hit you in the head, don't even think about wacking squirrels with a pellet gun because they might ricochet and put your eye out and there is no way in hell they should be able to fling arrows from a bow. Don't let them walk across the street by themselves either...and keep them off my lawn dammit!!!

06-Oct-15
Moral objections to football are personally valid but likening the sport to Roman gladiator games is tantamount to equating work to slavery or sex to rape.

No death of a teenager is "just accepted." However, people do understand that, in the course of life, there are inherent risks. The death of a football player is no less tragic than the death of a kid that gets killed in a hunting accident or drowns while swimming in the ocean, etc.

06-Oct-15
I don't think someone that claims "cruising 50mph on Texas ranch roads" on an atv should be so concerned about the dangers of HS football.

;-)

I've been involved with football for many years. But I would NEVER drive an atv at THAT speed.

THAT'S just crazy.

LOL

06-Oct-15

sundowner's Link
Owl: ".....likening the sport to Roman gladiator games is tantamount to equating work to slavery or sex to rape."

That statement falls substantially short of your usual sound wisdom and logic. And it reinforces the point that even folks who otherwise think rationally can fall to the football craze, never mind the fact that young men sustain devastating injury every week, and sometimes death.

06-Oct-15
Joey,

How I ride an ATV is my decision and my business. I was not a gullible teenager being urged by a coach to risk permanent injury.

Please offer a valid counterpoint to the subject matter if you can, but refrain from foolish statements not related to the issue.

Either that, or risk having your posts deleted.

06-Oct-15
Valid point, Hackbow. Thanks for the input.

06-Oct-15
Delete away brother.....But you don't know much about the subject of your thread, football, or coaches.

I do.

06-Oct-15
"Delete away brother......But you don't know much about the subject of your thread, football, or coaches. I do."

Well, I am not your brother, but please, by all means, enlighten us with your brilliance. Tell us, O Great One, about the "subject of the thread, football, or coaches".....instead of blathering on subject matter not related in the slightest.

06-Oct-15
I was a three year starter in football. 2 years both sides of the ball. Only concusion I ever had was playing basketball and I was a running back. Now my knees, that's another story. I had a budy that was in a terrible car wreck when he was twelve. Consequently he got concussions real easy. The doctors told him the next one could be his last, so he just quit having them:). He is a lawyer and graduated at the top of his class from Georgetown. More people probably die hunting so I guess we shouldn't let youth do that either?

06-Oct-15
I get your personal animus toward the game, and I am glad my young son never pursued it to the high school level. He deals with lower back issues related to golf when it rolls around in the spring.

Lots of parents around here encourage their kids to ride their motocross bikes and atv's competitively. I know a few. Friend of mine has a kid with lingering effects from serious head injury 10 years ago. A guy I coached youth football with was killed on his ATV while out hunting. BTW, none of the kids on our team were hurt.

I Know a young man that is paralyzed from the neck down from high school rodeo. Young friend of my sons had dental implants from taking a fast ball in the jaw. There are soccer players with big time concussions and destroyed knees. Basketball players die on the court from misdiagnosed heart issues.

There are innumerable ways to get injured or worse, pursuing our "games." As far as sport goes, football is by far and away the most regulated activity there is.

06-Oct-15
sundowner, my point - which you cannot refute - is that ancient gladiator games were compulsory and not elective. For your analogy to work, our society would have to give boys in juvenile detention the choice of playing football in lieu of remaining incarcerated or being killed.

I don't disagree with your personal objection to the game but offering hyperbole as analogy does not strengthen your position.

Football is rough and, at times, dangerous. But more so is life. Having played the game, I can tell you unequivocally I was safer learning life lessons on the field than in my leisure time.

06-Oct-15
Life's rough, you better wear a helmet. While any child dieing is a tragedy, everyday people complete tasks that are dangerous and fatal to some. I injured my knee my freshman year,quit football at that point, but I also have a finger that was cut off at the first knuckle by a bicycle chain. Accept accidents and tragedy for what they are, a part of everyday life that you can not completely eliminate.

06-Oct-15
"Well, I am not your brother" ----- illegal procedure

"enlighten us with your brilliance" --- targeting

"Tell us, O Great One" ------ roughing the passer

"instead of blathering on subject matter not related in the slightest" ---- personal foul

I apologize for my --- illegal participation.

Too many men on the field.

:-)

06-Oct-15
Everyone should be concerned about the dangers to young men when they are playing football. What is impossible to measure is the dangers that these players are protected from by not being out running the streets after school, having a "team" to belong to, getting extra time and attention from generally positive male role models, etc.

There are many different kinds of danger.

07-Oct-15
I played the game, and consider those times on the grid iron sacred ones.

My kid played from the time he was in 4th grade though high school. Missed his senior year from a ACL injury. If was sustained in track by landing on a poorly packed pole vault mat.

I'm not sure why you hate football so much, maybe you couldn't make the team, or last one picked in sandlot games. There will always be deaths associated with any activity that constitutes physical contact activity. ' I see where our Armed Service's are considering doing away with boxing. Is this a good idea?

07-Oct-15
I do realize that injuries happen in all sports.

Lets face it, how many pitchers have died from taking line drives to the head.... It is going to happen. Shoot, I watched my son get hit by pitches three times in one game!!!

BUT I will say, I know of WAY more injuries to kids from football than any other sport. I personally know guys who will deal with HS football injuries for the rest of their lives. Back, knee, etc...

My son considered playing. I didn't tell him no, but I did tell him I'd prefer he not play. After telling him some of the injury stories I know of, he opted to stick with baseball.

As a parent you just need to understand the risks involved.

07-Oct-15
From what I've been reading cheerleading,gymnastics and horseback riding have more injuries then football.

07-Oct-15
Watch this and tell me again how bad football is.

08-Oct-15
My kid plays Pop Warner football. A lot of thought and research went into the decision. They have a pretty good safety record but football is a rough sport and there is always the risk of injury.

We are 6 games and about 30 practices into the season with no injuries requiring medical care.

I didn't play in school because the coach said I needed to choose between jump shooting ducks after school and attending practice.

08-Oct-15
Nice choice Glunt!

08-Oct-15

09-Oct-15
My nephew was the only guy on a small town cheer leading team. It blew his buddies away when he joined because he was in the "cool" crowd, athletic, drove a lifted 4x4, popular, etc, etc etc.

He took a lot of crap and they thought he was crazy. After watching some of the lifts and how popular he became with the girls, they realized he was crazy...like a fox.

14-Oct-15
Don't play football for the same reason I quit baseball. Last year my coach said "You boys can't be turkey hunting before school, there's no way you will be rested enough to play baseball at the end of the day." This year I had turkeys gobblin every day of the season :) Don't see a reason to be tacklin other kids when I could be draggin a deer instead.

15-Oct-15
Wow. A week long argument, and Medical Marijuana or Hitler have not been mentioned . . . . . .. .. .. . . . . . . . yet . . . . . .

;^)

Tony

• Sitka Gear