Joey Ward 08-Oct-15
Hunting5555 08-Oct-15
Jim Moore 08-Oct-15
Joey Ward 08-Oct-15
tonyo6302 08-Oct-15
tonyo6302 08-Oct-15
sundowner 09-Oct-15
06-Oct-15
Sorry, ladies. This isn't what you think it is! ;^)

Guys,

I've had a couple of stud finders in the past. I mostly used them to find studs when I want to hang a dead critter on the wall.

While they all worked, they all required a bit of guessing.

So I recently bought a Franklin Sensors Professional Stud Finder and it's everything you could want. Easy to use and no guessing or hoping you read it right!

06-Oct-15
My father was a contractor and I helped build a lot of houses. I built my own house. I find my studs with a tape measure. They are on sixteen inch centers.

06-Oct-15
Lex, you built your own house which you KNOW are on 16" centers. Its an entirely different story when someone else made it.

I have two stud finders. I think its the Stanley thats a piece of crap. the other one is pretty good. Can't remember the make.

06-Oct-15
I don't need a stud finder on houses we built but have worked in other houses and I have used a stud finder. It has been some time ago and it worked great. Can't remember the name but I bought it in Lowes. I also bought some laser levels and couldn't tell you where they are now. They are cool too.

06-Oct-15

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Kyle: I rarely use a stud finder anymore since I started using EZ Anchors. They go in the drywall the same way whether there's a stud there or not and they work in either plain drywall or a stud if you hit one.

06-Oct-15
Woodsie,

Nice!

But will they hold up when you put shoulder mount of a moose, elk or ram on them?

06-Oct-15
actually it may depend on the age of the house. Most, if not all older structures are built 16OC, some of the newer ones are built 24OC. Supposedly saves on materials.

06-Oct-15
Kyle: I don't know that for sure, but they do come in different sizes and weight load capacities. Get an idea of the weight of your heads and check them out.

They are super easy to install. No holes to drill. Just use a screw gun with a bit head and drive them right into the wall, then use the screw that comes with to hang whatever you want.

07-Oct-15
Kyle, I use to use a battery operated stud finder ... it has "red led lights" and when you cross a Stud it goes Green Led Lights at start of stud and at end of stud (edges)...not expensive either....works similar to a x-ray (I guess)... it is small and light weight (about the size of a cigarette pack)...reads thru plywood and plasterboard! I still have mine but have not used it this year.

07-Oct-15
My exterior walls are 24 oc, 2x6, you get more insulation same wood costs.

07-Oct-15
GVA,

Do NOT use any sheet rock anchor that will be expecting to hold ANYTHING that large and that weight.

Find the studs, center them out ( little over 3/4" to center) and anchor with a proper size and length screw.

Do it right.

The Rock

07-Oct-15
Thinking on it for elk and or moose size mounts I would open up the wall and block it out.

The Rock

07-Oct-15

SteveCOontheroad's Link
I'd use the timberloc system for Elk and Moose. Nothing else. Center the mount on a good stud and you'll be fine.

07-Oct-15
I just use the tap method to find the studs in the wall.

I would buy a hand held electronic studfinder, but every time I appoach that isle in the tool section at Lowes, everyone of those damned things start going off.

Tried Home Depot, and the same thing, every time I approach their location, they all start going off.

Anyone else have this problem ?

;^)

07-Oct-15
I used one on myself to my wife's delight... she say's it's not telling her anything she didn't know. ;-)

07-Oct-15
Kyle,

Stud finders do not find studs. They are simple, inexpensive metal detector circuits that detect the screws or nails which are used to fasten the drywall to the studs. Find a screw or nail and you have found a stud (or some other framing member).

You can also find studs by tapping the wall. Where no stud is present the wall will sound hollow, and when you hit a stud or other framing members, you will hear a "solid" thump because the drywall board cannot vibrate where it is fastened to framing. Also, find an electrical receptacle, remove the cover and you may be able to see a stud along the side. Wall studs will most likely be 16" on center, so once you find one, you can probably find others. Where other walls may intersect on the opposite side, there will be additional framing, commonly called a "T Post".

Hope that helps.

08-Oct-15
Stud finders do find studs. They detect a change in capacitance. I.E. they detect a density change in the wall. They do not typically detect metal, though I suppose there are a few. You would have to sweep a whole wall if they were simple metal detectors.

Modern stud finders are a must have for DIYers in my estimation.

08-Oct-15
Change in capacitance, eh?

Don't know what that is, but sounds like Tony and Steve are full of it.

he he he

:-)

08-Oct-15
Some of the newest units do work by detecting density changes.

08-Oct-15
Ah density......Tony and Steve, I ain't insinuating THAT.

LOL

;-)

08-Oct-15
Word of advice in using one. Take a reading multiple times from different starting locations. The density of the wall where you start and turn it on will affect its ability to detect the stud!!!

Also, usually best not to take a reading 4ft off the floor, go above or below. There is usually a mud line across the wall at that level which is more dense and will mess with the reading.

As was mentioned, I always test it around an outlet to see if its working correctly. There's a 98% chance an electric outlet has a stud on one side of it.

I'm thinking Tony and Steve have a stud detector confused with a BS detector!!!! LOL

Or, based on Joey's insinuation, it means someone smarter than them has always walked down that isle before they did!! Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

08-Oct-15
Joey...we aren't even going to get into inductance...nosiree!!

08-Oct-15
Well dang Jim, that's something a know a bit about. I've installed lots of duct in my time. But for all of it, I can't remember when a stud, rafter, or joist wasn't clearly visible.

he he he

08-Oct-15
"Ah density......Tony and Steve, I ain't insinuating THAT. "

;^)

Another piece of advice, is to use a small drill bit once you have decided you have found the stud.

Drill a small hole, and watch for wood shavings pulling out of the drill bit.

If you are not seeing wood shavings, you have not found a stud.

08-Oct-15
^^^^^^^^^

In other words, if you don't see wood . . . . . .

( wait for it )

. . . . you don't have a stud !!!!!

;^)

09-Oct-15
Pat is right. Sheetrock anchors are not a good choice for hanging taxidermy.

• Sitka Gear