Shuteye 16-Feb-16
Anony Mouse 16-Feb-16
SJJ 17-Feb-16
13-Feb-16
uh oh

now what?

RIP

13-Feb-16
Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch. Prayers sent.

So little o gets to appoint three.

13-Feb-16
OMG! We are so screwed!

13-Feb-16
Thumper,

Maybe not. The nomination and confirmation process can take a very long time.

Does McConnell have the courage to drag this out until the end of the year? Probably not, but one can always hope.

13-Feb-16
Maybe this will wake up our non voters. This makes this election even more important.

13-Feb-16
I may be wrong, but I think any Senator can put a hold on judicial nominations, not sure if that extends to the SC or not. You know Obama is already licking his chops, but I'm going to tell you right now, if the Republican Senate Majority approves and seats a SC justice of Obama's choosing, with less than a year left in his term, they can never, never, EVER again campaign on needing a Republican majority to approve good Supreme Court justices. I have a feeling one Senator at least, from Texas, will have something to say about it.

13-Feb-16
We're f@!ked.

13-Feb-16
Ted Cruz is already drawing a line in the sand.

13-Feb-16
God Bless you, Senator Cruz!

13-Feb-16
I think the next president will pick his replacement.

13-Feb-16
Prayers for his loved ones, and this country. Huge loss. Think of all those 5-4 decisions going the other way.

13-Feb-16

13-Feb-16
Obama will probably appoint a justice via executive order. I know he can't do that but if he tried a bunch would go along with him.

13-Feb-16
trubucolo,

"Maybe Trump can get elected and appoint his sister after all :-)"

Maybe the very thought of a President Trump doing just that or worse, will help his duped followers WTFU!

13-Feb-16

13-Feb-16
If Hillary or Sanders gets elected in Nov.; Obammer will be selected in the SCOTUS search.

13-Feb-16
memengako X2

election '16 suddenly way more serious, as if it wasn't before. .

13-Feb-16
A ray of hope.

From The Washington Times:

"Mitch McConnell rules out replacing Antonin Scalia until new president is elected

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times, Saturday, February 13, 2016

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Saturday that the Senate should wait until a new president is elected to confirm a replacement for Justice Antonin Scalia, whose sudden death Saturday shook Washington and threatened to reshape the 2016 presidential race."

13-Feb-16
Congress is in recess until the 19th.

"Recess appointments

When the Senate is in recess, a president may make temporary appointments to fill vacancies. Recess appointees hold office only until the end of the next Senate session (less than two years). The Senate must confirm the nominee for them to continue serving; of the two chief justices and six associate justices who have received recess appointments, only Chief Justice John Rutledge was not subsequently confirmed.

No president since Dwight D. Eisenhower has made a recess appointment to the Court, and the practice has become rare and controversial even in lower federal courts.[75] In 1960, after Eisenhower had made three such appointments, the Senate passed a "sense of the Senate" resolution that recess appointments to the Court should only be made in "unusual circumstances."[76] Such resolutions are not legally binding but are an expression of Congress's views in the hope of guiding executive action."

13-Feb-16
From Reid:

""The President can and should send the Senate a nominee right away. With so many important issues pending before the Supreme Court, the Senate has a responsibility to fill vacancies as soon as possible. It would be unprecedented in recent history for the Supreme Court to go a year with a vacant seat. Failing to fill this vacancy would be a shameful abdication of one of the Senate's most essential Constitutional responsibilities."

yep, hurry up! replace him before the funeral! nobody will even be looking!

13-Feb-16
McConnell can and should immediately call the Senate out of recess. As in 'The Next Five Minutes!'

13-Feb-16
The Senate only adjourns when it chooses to adjourn.

Obama tried to make recess appointment to the NLRB a few years ago when he claimed the Senate was in recess The Senate took him to court and SCOTUS ruled unanimously that his appointment was unconstitutional.

As I recall, the attorney who led that case against Obama was some guy from Texas named Ted Cruz.

13-Feb-16
The Senate only adjourns when it chooses to adjourn.

Obama tried to make recess appointment to the NLRB a few years ago when he claimed the Senate was in recess The Senate took him to court and SCOTUS ruled unanimously that his appointment was unconstitutional.

As I recall, one of the key attorneys in that case against Obama was some guy from Texas named Ted Cruz.

13-Feb-16
Goodbye 2A. It will take blood to reinstate it.

The Heller case only succeeded by ONE vote. That's gone now. Obama will get his appointment for Scalia and then another 2A case will be brought and this time I can guaran-damn-tee you that they will NOT uphold the individual right to keep and bear arms.

And then the next civil war will begin.

Molon labe, MF'ers, molon labe....

13-Feb-16

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Get used to it folks....

13-Feb-16
...."constitutional responsibilities"?

ohhhhhhhhh, now that ol' rag has some purpose!(?)

13-Feb-16
Obama just spoke - a few nice words about Scalia... and then right on into how he was going to replace him. This is trouble!

13-Feb-16
Damn it, hate to hear this...RIP your honor!

Hopefully the Senate will hold tight, but I won't hold my breath....

13-Feb-16
The only thing we can hope for now is that a Republican becomes POTUS, and that Roberts will stall on taking any cases of serious consequence (like a 2A case..) until one of the other octogenarians on the court like Ruth Buzzi Ginsburg dies and we can then get a more conservative justice to replace her.

But that's a lot of "if's".

14-Feb-16
This can be the saddest day in America indeed if the Dems win this election.

This is serious trouble that will affect your children and grandchildren and could put them behind the eight ball for their entire life.

America has been able to withstand all the problems plaguing this nation.

This will be the final death knell if we do not win this election. I am seriously concerned about America's future as never before. All the money in the world will not be able to save you or your family.

These debates are killing us no matter who your candidate may be and the Dems are loving it.

The Rock

14-Feb-16
Why is it that the US Marshalls came out almost immediately saying that there was no investigation or cause for one? I would think that considering Scalia's position and his strong stance concerning the law and rendering of it and how it is in direct conflict with Obama's agenda that a blood test and toxicology test would be in order. Sorry but in this administration no conspiracy is too big to consider.

God bless, Steve

14-Feb-16
I'm seriously crying. Disaster. F'ing disaster. When do we we all start speaking French?

14-Feb-16

Are the US Marshalls under the authority of the DOJ? If they are then there's your answer. Loretta Lynch is the head of that so it's a non-issue, just like Hillary's emails.

And brunse....F'ing disater indeed. We're toast.

14-Feb-16

idacurt's embedded Photo
idacurt's embedded Photo
Thought I would share a highlight of mine last year. Ex Idaho Governor Dirk Kempthorne ask me to make a trout net for both him and his fishing buddy Chief Justice Scalia,needless to say I was honored.

14-Feb-16

idacurt's embedded Photo
idacurt's embedded Photo

14-Feb-16
It is likely that Scalia's death is a continuation of God's judgement upon this nation for turning against Him.

Pray unceasingly.

14-Feb-16
Scalia, at a book tour in Denver, gave an impassioned talk about his role on the Supreme Court, and on his view of the law.

He was the deciding vote on the flag burning case. His comment was "If I were king, I would have thrown that bearded weirdo in jail. But there's this thing called the First Amendment..."

Scalia hated the philosopher-king role of pulling rights out of the air to justify decisions, which is the "living Constitution" theory of leftist judges. Things such as abortion and gay rights were the province of the legislature, political questions, not to be decided by courts and mandated into law.

He will be missed. Greatly.

14-Feb-16
brunse,

Yourself and many others. Then again others do not have a clue about this very sad and frightful event and the consequences for all of us here, friend and foe alike.

idacurt,

An honor indeed. You will be forever be connected.

sundowner,

Amen. I pray daily to Him for the welfare of my family and the innocent children we have led down this path. I am confident that His lesson will be heard loud an clear one day in this nation who has turned to the golden calf.

The Rock

14-Feb-16
After church this morning, one man (Korean vet who is in poor health but still very concerned about where this country seems to be headed) asked me an interesting question. Would it be possible for Obama to appoint himself to the SC?

14-Feb-16
February 14, 2016 Dems in Senate passed a resolution in 1960 against election year Supreme Court appointments By Thomas Lifson

Read it and weep, Democrats. The shoe is on the other foot. David Bernstein at the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog:

Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a resolution, S.RES. 334, “Expressing the sense of the Senate that the president should not make recess appointments to the Supreme Court, except to prevent or end a breakdown in the administration of the Court’s business.” Each of President Eisenhower’s SCOTUS appointments had initially been a recess appointment who was later confirmed by the Senate, and the Democrats were apparently concerned that Ike would try to fill any last-minute vacancy that might arise with a recess appointment.

The GOP opposed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

As it should this time.

Hat tip: Instapundit

14-Feb-16
Mouse,

The senate MUST remained seated until and without recess until 1/21/17.

That traitor can only appoint if the senate is not in session I believe from what I have heard today.

The Rock

14-Feb-16
Tinfoil hat time or not...considering the Obama administration's actions and positions, the sudden death of Scalia will give rise to conspiracy thoughts.

After all...how many deaths have been implied and connected to the Democrat front runner Hillary and the anti-Constitution positions and acts of the adminstration...and now, the sudden death of Scalia.

The Senate should have a complete investigation before any nomination for replacement is even addressed.

Another tin-foil-ish factor: note the location of the ranch WRT the Mexican non-border.

Ranch Owner Describes Scene Of Justice Scalia’s Death, Including ‘Pillow Over His Head’

Needless to say, this description will incite speculation.

MARFA — A first-time guest to the Cibolo Creek Creek Ranch, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia was animated and engaged during dinner Friday night, as one of three dozen invitees to an event that had nothing to do with law or politics, according to the ranch owner.

Just hours later, he would be found dead of apparent natural causes, which media outlets reported on Sunday was a heart attack.

“He was seated near me and I had a chance to observe him. He was very entertaining. But about 9 p.m. he said, ‘it’s been a long day and a long week, I want to get some sleep,” recalled Houston businessman John Poindexter, who owns the 30,000-acre luxury ranch.

When Poindexter tried to awaken Scalia about 8:30 the next morning, the judge’s door was locked and he did not answer. Three hours later, Poindexter returned after an outing, with a friend of Scalia who had come from Washington with him.

“We discovered the judge in bed, a pillow over his head. His bed clothes were unwrinkled,” said Poindexter.

Keep reading…

Judge declared it a heart attack without looking at the body, but after talking with Scalia’s doctor. Scalia has already been embalmed.

14-Feb-16
You know, with all due respect to itshot, this thread is misnamed. It should read.....

"Constitution Dead"

It also makes me recall the lyrics of the old Warren Zevon song....

"Send lawyers, guns and money, the sh*t has hit the fan."

14-Feb-16

HA/KS's Link
“The entire Alliance Defending Freedom team mourns the loss of a true friend of ordered liberty and of all Americans: Justice Antonin Scalia. Justice Scalia was the most vocal and passionate voice on the Supreme Court for religious freedom, the sanctity of life, and marriage and family over the past three decades. While we grieve his passing, we must always remember that God is in charge. We also note that it is unlikely that a new justice will be installed prior to the election of our next president. All of us are thankful for Justice Scalia’s legacy of consistently standing in defense of our constitutionally protected freedoms. Please join us in prayer for the Scalia family, the entire Supreme Court family, and our nation.”

14-Feb-16
From AOS:

McConnell Had Better Declare a Pro Forma Session of the Senate —Ace

If he doesn't, and Obama appoints a recess appointment to the Supreme Court, that will be the last time voters vote for this Failure Theater party.

Unless Obama Nominates a Textualist, No Nominee Should be Confirmed. Ramesh Ponnuru writes of Scalia's thoughts on the role of the judge.

By the way, I'm pushing the idea of "textualist" as a good word to describe a judicial philosophy. So many definitions are created by the left -- they talk about "original intent" or even "strict interpretations" of the Constitution.

Nonsense. The only division is between those who believe the Constitution's text constitutes the Constitution's text, and those who think the Constitution is actually made up of the words of the Constitution, plus current fashion and political claims popular with the current crop of lawyers.

Thus, the most important distinction is between Textualists and Non-Textualists -- or, if they prefer, "Super Textualists," because they're all so super.

14-Feb-16
We've seen nothing but total cowardice and capitulation with the current crop of Republicans in the congress and senate. I hold dim hope that they will stop B-Ho from nominating someone filthy like Eric Holder or Loretta Lynch to the court (both, BTW, which are being touted as being on the short=list).

I hope I am surprised.

14-Feb-16
The Republican senate has one chance and one chance only to hold their seats and they know it.

I am confident they will delay the traitors nomination and run consecutive sessions if necessary.

The immediate problem is that congress is not in session this week. He can appoint this week if they do not return immediately.

We will see.

The Rock

14-Feb-16
Guess who said this:

“Well, I Will Be Supporting The Filibuster Because I Think Judge Alito, In Fact, Is Somebody Who Is Contrary To Core American Values, Not Just Liberal Values.” (ABC’s “This Week,” 1/29/06)

Share it widely...

The quote comes from none other that Obama--but then again, most of you could have guessed.

15-Feb-16
The general election and the toll that this traitor is taking upon me can not be here soon enough. I can honestly say I have never despised any politician to the degree of this man and THAT woman. They are a constant in my thoughts and fear.

The Rock

15-Feb-16

HA/KS's Link
Scalia’s gift to America — saving the Supreme Court

Interesting article at link.

15-Feb-16
"God assumed from the beginning that the wise of the world would view Christians as fools...and He has not been disappointed....If I have brought any message today, it is this: Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity. Be fools for Christ. And have the courage to suffer the contempt of the sophisticated world." Antonin Scalia

15-Feb-16
And make no mistake about it....the 2A is ground zero for their agenda.

15-Feb-16
My dad used to tell me that the only stupid question is the one I did not ask. What I see here is that perhaps the most important man in our entire country and to the constitution of our country is dead. I see that he was found with a pillow over his head and with conflicting stories concerning his previous evening but with the most un biased people saying he felt great , was having a good time and simply said he was tired from a long day and was going to bed. I see something very strange in that a blood test was not given, no toxicology, was immediately inbalmed which is quite unsural, was not examined by a doctor to the best of our knowledge, I have not heard that a coroner was on scene and examined him. His body was convoyed directly to a funeral home, blood removed and inbalmed. I also see multiple reasons right now for many people on the left to want him dead right now. They see their last chance coming quickly to replace him on the Supreme Court,. They have every reason and they also have a complete disregard for the law and only recognize the law if caught. This administration is flouting the law at every turn ., IRS, Justice DEpartment and the Presidency have all blatently disregarded the law and have no moral basis to do otherwise. To believe that we should at least have doubt removed concerning the death of the champion of our constitutional rights is not in any way wearing tin foil. It is simply prudence and the doubts should be eliminated by fact and evidence and not by some biased government employee telling us there is nothing to see. We have real reason to not trust this government . God bless, Steve

15-Feb-16

Oh...how fast they change their tune...

15-Feb-16
Schumer is a two faced lying weasel. I hate him the most after Obama.....no wait, Hillary......no wait, Durbin.....no wait, Dingy Harry.....no wait, Pelosi.....oh well, I guess I'm an equal opportunity hater of liberals!

15-Feb-16
"......two faced lying weasel."

You forgot McConnell.

15-Feb-16
I'm no lawyer but aren't some of the cases that the Supreme court is working on things that Obama lost in a lower court. If it come to a vote and the Supreme court has a tie doesn't it go back the the lower court's decision?

Bad Karma, explain how this works.

15-Feb-16

bad karma's Link
Well, if the supremes deadlock 4-4, the lower court ruling is not reversed, but there's no supreme court precedent either. And it can be revisited when the successor is appointed.

Now, on at least one affirmative action case, Justice Kagan is recused because she worked on it when in the Obama administration. So, there will now only be 7 justices on that case, which could still make it a 4:3.

Justice Kennedy now is the difference between a 5:3 and a 4:4 decision.

It's not good. One rumor I read was that Obama may nominate AG Loretta Lynch for tactical reasons. First black lady, you just approved her, etc. I think she'd be an awful choice given what I've seen of her as AG. She's just about what I expected.

15-Feb-16
I can see her confirmation hearings with Senator Cruz being the leader questioning about her failures at the DO(in)J WRT IRS, Hillary, Fast 'n Furious, non-enforcement orders, etc.

That would provide plenty of video for campaign ads.

Obama will nominate a lesser known anti-Constitution communist.

15-Feb-16
From Patterico...and a video for your enjoyment and appreciation of Justice Scalia:

Justice Scalia Talks About His Possible Replacement

Here’s a flashback to July 2012, when Justice Scalia was on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace — who, truth be told, was kind of a jerk to the Justice. But it’s OK. Nino handled himself just fine. If you didn’t watch this the first time I posted it, treat yourself now.

If you go to 18:30, and watch for a minute, you’ll see a fun little discussion of Scalia’s pique at being criticized by Richard Posner in (I think) an unfair manner. It’s worth it, trust me.

But what really hits home is at 22:25, where we see Chris Wallace asking Scalia if he would time his retirement to coincide with a Republican administration. Scalia says he hasn’t decided. Wallace asks him if he wouldn’t prefer to be replaced by a Republican appointee, given what he says earlier in the interview about Republicans generally preferring originalists and textualists, while Democrats prefer Justices who like Roe v. Wade. Scalia then says:

I would not like to be replaced by someone who immediately sets about undoing everything that I’ve tried to do for 25 years, 26 years. Sure. But I shouldn’t have to tell you that, unless you think I’m a fool.

What a great man. The country will never be able to replace Justice Scalia — but we owe it to ourselves, and to him, to come as close as we can.

15-Feb-16
I heard him speak a few years ago, without audio recordings. Antonin Scalia was a breath of fresh air...on the flag burning case, he was the deciding vote, even though he personally wanted to jail the "bearded weirdo." But he let the law override his personal views. On abortion, he thought the idea of having nine appointed for life judges decide the issue was the antithesis of democracy.

He leaves a big hole. He will be missed.

16-Feb-16
I just hope the Republicans are smart and will review Obama's choice. If they just drag it out and don't even look at it they will get their a$$es kicked as obstructionist. They don't have to approve Obama's pick but had better at least look at it and turn it down.

16-Feb-16

17-Feb-16

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear