Shuteye 19-Sep-18
Joey Ward 19-Sep-18
bowbender77 20-Sep-18
tobinsghost 25-Sep-18
wesleyboyle 10-Sep-19
14-Feb-16

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
I just started a new locksmith business and I was curious if any of you fine folks are locksmiths. Please advise, thx.

14-Feb-16
tg what do you have to do to be a locksmith? School get bonded locksmith collage?

14-Feb-16
tobinsghost,

Good Luck with your new endeavor. There are a few locksmiths here as yet to be discovered. Believe me. ;-)

The Rock

14-Feb-16
Even easier than that! I live in Colorado so you just need a biz license and liability insurance. I have all the insurances tho and i am bonded.

I actually taught myself while i was busy with my full time job which helped me build the right relationships for this endeavor.

Rock, i now know how easy it is to get past crappy locks on almost everything. After practicing on my house and padlocks, i was forced to make a few changes.

14-Feb-16
tobinsghost,

If you are taking this seriously there is a very wide base for top end locksmiths. Become one of the best and you will be able to turn your phone off. Investigate working with local and state governments as a freelance.

The Rock

14-Feb-16
Pat, yes a trained locksmith can but i am not there yet. I have seen several classes/seminars on the subject and i do want to learn how. What you can charge for that type of work is decent $$.

Rock, i am very serious about this business and thanks for the tip. My 10 year old son is learning how to pick locks now and i want to leave a successful business for him.

14-Feb-16
I had a locksmith make a key for a access door on an enclosed trailer I have because I lost the real key. From just a blank key, it took him less than 15 minutes and he had a key made and the door unlocked and opened. I couldn't believe it. No keyed lock is safe with a guy that knows what they are doing.

20-Jan-17
I wish you good luck for your Locksmith business. I hope you will enhance your business to the top by doing hard work.

20-Jan-17
Then there was the locksmith that was called because a woman had locked herself out of her car. She said, "Hey, I just opened the driver's door." The locksmith said, "Yeah, I got that one, I'm working on the passenger door now."

Good luck with your business, they are in demand around my area. We used to use a really good locksmith at our company and he was always busy. I never saw anything he couldn't open.

20-Jan-17
It would be an interesting field if you have a knack for that kind of thing. Personally, I'd probably be a poor locksmith though I have fooled around with picking locks most of my life off and on.

You can get picks and tools really easy now.

20-Jan-17
Years ago my son and I touched down in Denver on our way to a Wyoming antelope hunt. I had lost the key to my gun case somewhere in route (I still think the TSA agent in Phila has it)

We stopped for a bite to eat near Douglas Wy and I asked the waitress about any nearby locksmiths. She pointed me to an older gentleman about 5 blocks away.

After I explained my dilemma to the gentleman. we went back to his garage and he opened a desk drawer with literally hundreds if not thousands of keys. He foraged around them for about 2 or 3 minutes and produced a key. He put that key in the guncase and with a little bit of struggle opened the case. Some fastidious filing and that key opened that case better than the original.

He wished us luck on our hunt and refused any payment for his services. I noticed 2 beer cans on the table and returned with a case of his favorite malt. (it actually took longer to get the case of beer than for him to "make" a key

Hope you get to be as good as that guy. Good luck

20-Jan-17
Doing some research for our building security I was amazed at the differences (and prices) from common to high end locks. First jump was in durability, could it be bashed, levered, cut with bolt cutters, etc. Then it went into the lock itself. I found there was no such thing as an unpickable lock, they were actually rated in how LONG it took for a pro to pick one. Pretty interesting field.

The automotive field I know charges pretty well. But that's big "on call" thing. Flashing chips in the new keys, etc.

Good luck (lock?) with the new business!

20-Jan-17
For a second I thought you were Trump wanting all the White House locks changed out!

20-Jan-17
Now the company that made your car can open your car door from the factory. They can also shut off your engine. Police are using that shut off thing in car chases.

20-Jan-17
I am doing quite well. Lots of work doing mailbox locks for HOA Mangers and Property Managers, homes for all and some commercial.

No auto yet but it may come in the next couple of years. Love my life!

South Farm, I'd do it for free just to keep NOBAMA out!!

28-Feb-17
Is there anyone help me in finding the Locksmith in Grant Doral ?

19-Sep-18
You can find nearby locksmith by taking suggestions from your friends , colleagues or relatives. Even i have got boston locksmith through suggestion by my friend.

19-Sep-18
Good luck!

Owning a business is not easy, but it's a great endeavor. Just dont let it consume you, you will burn out. Self employment may come with more freedom than being employed by others, but with that freedom comes way more "work". You are the accountant, HR, Marketing, PR, etc etc... You have to work to create a little down time or it will eat you.

19-Sep-18
Will is right and it helps a lot if you Love it like you do!! Enjoy

As to gun safes a good locksmith can easily get into it. I have 5 safes and had problems with locks on two of them and the guy I hired got into both of them in 10 min. I inherited a safe a few years ago, really good brand Nobody had the combo. My safe guy had it opened and new combo put on it in about 30 min

19-Sep-18
One time I left my Scottie in the truck when I ran into a store to get a cup of coffee. I had left my keys in the truck and the truck and my door unlocked. When I came out my Scottie jumped up on the inside to greet me and he locked the door. I went back inside and told the lady behind the counter what had happened. She took a clothes hanger and opened my truck door in about ten seconds. BTW, that lady could make great sub sandwiches. One day she made me a wild turkey sub and it was great. No charge for that sub.

19-Sep-18
Shuteye, is your wife friends with her?

LOL LOL LOL :-)

19-Sep-18
joey, she was my wife's friend but the lady from the store passed away many years ago. She was pretty old when I used to stop in her store and she was a great Italian cook. She made her own spaghetti and sauce. Took all day to make the sauce. I would stop in the mornings before the store opened and go in the kitchen for coffee. She had a parrot and it would cuss me in Italian. I can't put what she said the parrot said on the bowsite. It was like ffuh U.

19-Sep-18
Lol. :-)

20-Sep-18
I was employed by County Government as a skilled trades worker and was classed as a Industrial Locksmith. Retired now for eight years and never looked back :>)

25-Sep-18
Still doing great and have added a Maintenance division, think Handyman. Just got back from Africa for honeymoon and working hard! Thanks for the memories of bringing this thread back up!

10-Sep-19
You are doing great, keep working like this and offer 24 hour locksmith services so that you will have a great reputation in the market.

• Sitka Gear