Woods Walker 27-Apr-16
slade 27-Apr-16
bad karma 27-Apr-16
bad karma 27-Apr-16
Woods Walker 28-Apr-16
slade 29-Apr-16
27-Apr-16

slade's Link
Feds, NYPD Conduct Largest Gang Bust in New York City’s History As Republicans Plot ‘Jailbreak’ Bill

But Americans not safely isolated in gated, super rich neighborhoods like D.C. think tank leaders don’t appear to want “to need” those who have shown themselves to be a menace to society — as residents of Bronx neighborhoods can testify. As Speaker Rep. Paul Ryan (R- WI)56% rushes to ensure more gang members like those who held a poor New York neighborhood hostage are released back into the streets, lower-income blacks and whites, along with swing voters, are growing more and more deeply worried about crime. The poll numbers are even more lopsided when broken down: While 46 percent of whites are greatly worried about crime, 68 percent of non-whites are.

The bipartisan scheme to break more convicts out of prison as crime soars isn’t likely to put their fears to rest.

27-Apr-16
Perhaps before you make such claims, you might consider that the NYPD gang bust would deal with NY state law, while what Ryan is doing deals with federal law.

And federal sentencing guidelines need reform. It is a rigid, and arbitrary means of sending people to prison that often don't need to be there, or don't need to be there in prison that long. There are dozens of articles out there on this topic. You could try reading one, or you could just post an idiotic meme.

I know what I'll bet on.

27-Apr-16
So do most of us, the Ryan Establihment/Donor Class.

27-Apr-16
Ooo...did we get up on the wrong side of the bed today counselor?

Unwedge thy panties.....

27-Apr-16
No, WW, the entire premise of this thread is false. That's the issue.

Federal sentencing has nothing to do with the gang members in the Bronx. Criminal law is primarily state law, not federal.

Here's an example of what is wrong with federal sentencing guidelines:

A and B are driving from Colorado to Maryland. Let's say A wants to bring back to Maryland, say, 12 ounces of pot. B says sure, I'll set it up, and we can take my car. They get pulled over in Hays, Kansas. After a search, not only is there 12 ounces that A knows about, but B also has 100 lbs in the car, hidden in the body panels that A knows nothing about, and it's clear that A knew nothing about the 100 lbs. What sentence should A get, and what could he get under federal sentencing guidelines?

Under Kansas law, A could get probation.

27-Apr-16
I was referring more to your wise-a** comments at the end of the second paragraph.

27-Apr-16
Less than B imo, but only if you can prove he did not know about it.

Use versus distribution, correct?

27-Apr-16

slade's Link

27-Apr-16
Well, WW, here's how federal law looks at A. His intent was to commit the crime, so the amount of pot smuggled goes to sentencing. At 100 lbs, even if he didn't know about it, he could get something like 35 years for a crime he would get probation on if prosecuted under KS law.

I have no problem with putting people in prison. Just make sure they deserve it. You, the American taxpayer, are paying a lot of money to send people to prison who don't belong there.

The bangers, the drug kingpins, the violent criminals...different story.

But remember, the vast majority of crimes are prosecuted at that state level.

27-Apr-16
What turned me around was a conversation with a career prosecutor, who told me on a prison tour by the guards, that "when you guys send someone to prison, he deserves to be here" in comparison to other places.

Prison reform includes trying to get better at deciding who belongs there, and who doesn't. Prison is like every other limited resource.

Bear in mind, I have a son in a state prison, and he honestly belongs there, at least today. So, don't think I'm just in favor of letting folks out.

28-Apr-16
You missed my point. I was referring to this.....

"There are dozens of articles out there on this topic. You could try reading one, or you could just post an idiotic meme."

You need to work on your bedside manner.

28-Apr-16
bk,

100 pounds in KS is not going to be probation. I have had numerous students find out the hard way!

29-Apr-16

slade's Link
A new version of a bipartisan sentencing reform bill is worse than the original version and will release many dangerous criminals back into American streets, says Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL)

• Sitka Gear